Chapter 5

Ordinary

Sunggyu pulled the car up smoothly along the wall which separated the road from the riverside walkway. The journey had been a silent one albeit the monotonous music which played from the late night radio shows. There hadn’t been much conversation because at first Woohyun had been transfixed by the twinkling lights of the passing city, there was never a plain sight. He had rolled the window right down in order to get the best view, but it caused the car to become rather chilly making Woohyun shiver violently until a thick black coat fell upon him. Sunggyu had passed him his coat and Woohyun could smell the scent of a light and fresh perfume upon the collar of the coat. Woohyun snuggled into it more comfortably creating a comfy space resulting in him steadily nodding off despite the drive being just 20 minutes.

Only when they stopped did Sunggyu realise Woohyun had fallen asleep and so he did his best to slowly wake him up. Honestly, Sunggyu felt it was a pity to wake him because Woohyun resembled a small puppy underneath his own large coat, a pleasant sight.  
“Woohyun” Sunggyu spoke gently, giving him a slight shake. Woohyun stirred and shook his head groggily feeling a crick in his neck, he blinked a few times to adjust to the dark surroundings. “We’ve arrived” Sunggyu announced in the same soft voice as before.
“Ah right” Woohyun responded, his voice airy from the short nap. He motioned to return Sunggyu’s coat, but Sunggyu declined it and said “you’ll need it outside.” Woohyun decided to wear it properly to find that the sleeves extended past his wrist and the hem of the coat reached just below his knee. Sunggyu giggled silently at how the coat fit Woohyun, or didn’t fit rather but Woohyun was just grateful he was warm in this late October night.
“Where are we going?” Woohyun enquired after following Sunggyu who had already begun walking forward.
“Along that” Sunggyu pointed to the sign which read ‘river walkway’ and Woohyun eyes met a rubble pathway leading into blackness evoking nervousness in him. He followed Sunggyu through a stone archway onto the pathway taking tentative steps all the while.
“Don’t worry” Sunggyu soothed Woohyun, giving him a small rub on the arm. Perhaps it was the nerves, but at Sunggyu’s touch Woohyun felt something literally ‘zap’ through him. Whatever it was, Woohyun felt his tensed muscles slacken bit by bit as he relaxed. Every so often Sunggyu would point out different attractions by the river and express his pity for those still working in the well-lit skyscrapers which were also reflected prettily in the water. What people had said about the view barely came close to the actual thing, the way the wisps of the dark purple-blue sky met the artificial lights which came in all sorts of designs and colours, it was truly incredible.
However, Woohyun couldn’t believe how long the path was and so they took a break leaning against the river barriers, breathing in the still night air.
“Sunggyu?”
“Mmm” Sunggyu hummed in response to indicate he was listening
“Was that your own song you played before?”
“No, that was just something I took a liking to, I’ve only written a few of my own”
“Oh really?! May I hear that sometime?” Woohyun was surprised Sunggyu had been able to convey such emotion for a song that wasn’t his own so to hear an original song could somehow be even more epic.
“I could sing some of it now, but it would seem like I was serenading you” Sunggyu offered
“There’s no one here to see anyway” Woohyun stated, peering all around them.
“Don’t faint and fall into the river or something” Sunggyu joked before adopting a sincere expression.
Woohyun drew the coat around him closer as though to contain himself.

 

[Kim Sunggyu – I need You]

 

The moment I’ve always dreamed about breaks down
And after everyone I believed
would stay by me, leaves
I’m left alone
You, who came to me
who was full of loneliness and hurt

Can’t you hold me
Can’t you hold my hand
I need you now
I need you now
Please help me so that I can say
goodbye to everyone
and bid farewell with a smile
I need you

The pieces of my memory
If among them, just one, just one moment
became strength to me

Can’t you hold me
Can’t you hold my hand
I need you now
I need you now
Please help me so that I can say
goodbye to everyone
and bid farewell with a smile
I need you

Can’t you hold me
Can’t you hold my hand
I need you

I’d watch the TV like nothing happened
and comfortably sleep at
an early evening time
For me to not get surprised
at these sides of me
Oh I need you

Going on trips till I get tired of them
and occasionally make eye greetings with strangers
For these sides of me
to not shake any more
I need you now

 

Sunggyu coughed awkwardly upon completion and looked up at Woohyun to see him hastily wiping his eyes. Innately, Sunggyu held out a tissue which Woohyun took, immediately sniffling into it.
“I’m sorry” Woohyun said trying to explain himself “I *hiccup* was moved to the p-point of tears”
Sunggyu couldn’t help but feel slightly awkward, he had never sung like that to anyone before and the last thing he expected was this sort of reaction. Sunggyu felt an ache in his heart to see Woohyun faintly sobbing and wanted to comfort him yet he wasn’t sure what sort of response he’d receive from doing so. Woohyun caught Sunggyu in a strong hug unawares when Sunggyu’s thoughts were still conflicted and Woohyun pat Sunggyu back saying “you must have been through a lot” still hiccupping slightly. Sunggyu brought his arms around Woohyun to share his warmth, they stayed like that for a few minutes until Woohyun was able to stabilise his emotions before he moved back carefully, reluctant to let go. Sunggyu gave him a thumbs up which Woohyun returned with a shaky smile, with that they retreated back to the welcoming interior of the car, the sad atmosphere left behind them.

The moment they had just shared together had been very precious as it was the start of Woohyun acknowledging his attraction for Sunggyu.