Chapter 1

Ordinary

Woohyun stepped off the train onto the unfamiliar pale tiles of the station and proceeded to follow the signs which pointed to the next line he was required to take to reach his destination. However, he needed to buy a ticket at the station because he had completely forgotten about it the night before and there had been no time to print it in the early morning so he dashed up the stairs (well as much as he could against the bodies on either side of him). Once he'd reached the top he took a moment to find the machines and spotted them lined up on the far left of the vast area, along with an ever-extending queue beside it. 
Woohyun was eventually able to face the monitor which had a list of soon-departing train journeys and found that there were a few for where he intended to travel to, but there was a vary in the prices. Feeling a little muddled he began to look around for the help staff or just someone friendly enough to tell him whether there was a difference to the journeys. A figure came forward to approach Woohyun and asked him if there was a problem with the machine, Woohyun turned to face the voice and was met with a pair of small, set eyes making him a little breathless for a moment as they had a bright shine to them despite the person's bored look. 
Woohyun opened his mouth to reply until the other male stated "it looks fine to me" after peered over Woohyun's shoulder. "Oh no, there's nothing wrong with the machine - but I just wondered why there were different prices for the same journey" 
The person wasted no time in stepping further forward to explain it to Woohyun, this surprised Woohyun a little as it was quite an abrupt movement yet he was just glad and relieved that he hadn't had to stand there awkwardly for too long. Woohyun learned that one route included the return journey whilst another stopped at a few extra stations and the one he wanted was (fortunately) the cheapest one which went directly to th7e stop he was headed to. As it turns out, this other man was also travelling the same way so he waited as Woohyun finished paying and quickly followed suit before guiding him to the correct platform in case Woohyun ended up elsewhere. They managed to step onto the train as the doors closed briskly behind them in the midst of the conductor's whistles. 
"Well…" the helpful male said to Woohyun, bowing his heading slightly "I'll take a seat." 
"Oh yes, thank you very very much for your help otherwise I'd probably still be stuck" to which the other laughed, then turning he walked away from Woohyun after eagerly spotting a window seat. 
Their short exchange had been very formal for Woohyun as he was known to be quite affectionate and light with people, but coming to another town meant he would have to control his behaviour so as not to be misunderstood. 
Woohyun made his way to the nearest empty seat which was also a window seat and set his bag down on the seat beside him, he took out his phone to continue watching the show he'd been watching on the previous train and somehow he slowly rolled off to sleep as the programme continued. 
 

Woohyun was roughly shaken awake by a ticket collector, he immediately wiped his mouth and shook his head to take in the moving surroundings and then ruffled for the ticket he had bought with that 'small-eyed stranger.' Woohyun extended out his hand with the ticket which the inspector checked, hole-punched and handed back. Meanwhile Woohyun checked the time and to his aghastment the programme was still playing, he quickly shut it off, checked the time and sat more comfortably to stare out the window at the grey-green landscape flashing by. His mobile data was dwindling and he needed it to route his way to his new home as well as carry it through a few days until the broadband was fixed at his apartment. 

 

Eventually the train came to a screeching halt to Woohyun's relief as he was finally able to stretch his legs. After picking up his bag and surveying the area for any fallen items he exited the train to be hit by a wave of rain, he groaned and cursed the unreliable forecast. Having the pull up his jacket over his head, he hobbled into the main building and quickly shook off the jacket until he had to face the rain again. Woohyun was still new to the area so he typed in the address of his apartment complex and looked over it to gain an idea of the direction he was headed. He sighed as he strode out of the building, careful to avoid any puddles to prevent his fabric trainers from becoming excessively soaked. 

The rain came pounding down mercilessly causing everybody's bodies to be bent slightly forward for a feeble means of protection against the rain, only the lucky few had an umbrella with them. Woohyun hurried along the roads following the directions he was given until he inadvertently bumped into somebody in front of him, or more specifically their umbrella. 
"Aughhh" Woohyun exclaimed rubbing the sore spot on his forehead, the owner the umbrella turned around and apologised profusely. Woohyun waved it off and tried to assure the person that it was his own fault for not looking where he was going and that he was fine anyway. Woohyun squinted his eyes curious to see who was under the bleak, black umbrella. "Oh!" Woohyun gave a little start, it was the same 'small eyed stranger' from the station. The person looked at him worriedly again to question whether Woohyun was truly fine. "I'm okay, I'm okay!" Woohyun quickly said before he could be asked, the other bit their lip still feeling unsure. 
"In any case, which way are you headed? If it's in the same direction, I can help you get there. I mean there's plenty of space under this umbrella" he said flushing slightly. Woohyun gladly accepted the offer after showing this man the address for he was headed. "There's no need for that anymore" the man said indicating to Woohyun's phone "I live in the same building." They continued with their journey making useless small talk, they could hardly hear each other over the rain anyway. 

Finally, they reached the apartment complex and Woohyun gasped at the towering building in front of him, it had to have at least 20 floors and he was situated on the 18th. "I really hope the lifts aren't ever out of order" Woohyun spoke his thoughts aloud. "Same, the few times it has been were torturous" the other said, nodding in agreement "My apartment is on the 18th floor." Woohyun gasped again and said "me too!" a little over-excitedly. The person turned a little to face him, screwing up his already small eyes and asked "will you be residing in apartment 1801?" 
Woohyun gasped for the third consecutive time and confirmed that is the case, but how did he know??? 
The man turned to face Woohyun properly and shook hands with him simply stating "pleased to meet you, new neighbour" 

On the journey up to their floor, the man explained that ex-residents just recently had their first child and had decided to move a bigger space. Woohyun discovered the building was filled with many 'Young Professionals' as the other put it causing Woohyun to ask him how old he was until he realised that he didn't even know this person's name! "Hang on, what is your name, neighbour?" Woohyun asked. The other laughed realising they hadn't even introduced themselves to each other and proceeded on to just that
"My name is Sunggyu, yours?"
"Woohyun" he replied, smiling warmly as they shook hands again. 
Sunggyu's laugh had helped put Woohyun more at ease and gave him the thought that the frightful process of moving may become less frightening.