Chapter 2

Ordinary

As Woohyun was folding his clothes in order to fit them neatly into the drawers he heard a knock on the door and stood up achingly, but welcomingly since he had been sitting for so long and wanted any distraction from unpacking at that moment in time. He opened the door gingerly and was met with the all too recognisable face of Sunggyu, his recently discovered neighbour whose doorstep was just short of two metres from his own. Sunggyu greeted Woohyun politely yet brightly and help up a gift bag with the words 'Congratulations' emblazoned on the front of it. 
After returning the greeting and ushering Sunggyu inside (whilst trying to kick boxes out of the way), Woohyun looked questioningly at the bag and asked "what's this?"
"Aah" Sunggyu began "Well seeing as you're a new neighbour, I decided to stick with custom and bring you something so we could be introduced to one another. However, we already somewhat know each other but I’d brought this stuff already so take it, take it" Sunggyu emphasised as Woohyun shook his head to protest to Sunggyu's gift. "I said I had already brought it so you can't not accept it!" Sunggyu insisted, pushing the bag towards Woohyun. Instinctively Woohyun glanced inside the bag, but the brief view alone was enough to make Woohyun's eyes widen. There was a whole variety contained in the bag from scented candles, a thermal flask to a couple of pairs of socks and cookies as well as a small pack of recipe cards. 
"How did you manage to come up with all of this?" Woohyun wondered aloud
"Well the couple before told me a young man was moving in" Sunggyu explained the reason behind everything "the scented candles.. just because they're cool, a flask because I figured you're likely to be as busy as many others in this building so it is a necessity, socks and cookies.. again because they are cool" 
Woohyun chuckled at the reasoning and thanked Sunggyu for being so considerate. All of a sudden Sunggyu dashed out Woohyun's living room yelping "oh I almost forgot," he returned less than two minutes later breathing heavily, bearing a covered dish. "FOOD" Sunggyu announced looking at the dish contently and made his way to the nearest table to drop the pot. At this Woohyun really began protesting "honestly you didn't have to do this, the gift was enough- AND you helped me earlier on today. Also, it isn't as if--" Sunggyu cut him off with a swift "shhh, I'm hungry" to which Woohyun unexpectedly found himself obeying. Woohyun had noticed an aura of respect about Sunggyu and he did not intend upon breaching it unless absolutely necessary. This led onto a table being set with plates and cutlery that Woohyun had to dig out amid the many boxes he was yet to unpack. 

 

"Waah that was delicious and filling" Sunggyu said complimenting his own food, but Woohyun certainly didn't disagree because Sunggyu's array of dumplings alongside his soft tofu stew had been delicious. 
"Yes it was, perfect balance of flavours" Woohyun added, he had been picking apart the ingredients in his head whilst eating and there was something slightly bitter-sweet which complimented the dish well but Woohyun was unable to place his finger upon what that particular ingredient was and his curious nature got the better of him when he asked "Are there any secret ingredients?" he asked.
Sunggyu tapped his nose and replied cheekily "it's a secret ingredient for a reason," a satisfying meal tended to leave Sunggyu in good spirits so he let out a random laugh and chose to play a little guessing game with Woohyun. 
"What do you think my occupation is?" Sunggyu asked Woohyun who looked up from his soup bowl in surprise, "I don't have the faintest clue" Woohyun answered in alarm. 
"Aaaahh, that's the whole point, you should guess" and so Woohyun listed as many job roles as he could off the top of his head; doctor, lawyer, engineer, researcher, detective and they became even more ridiculous from there. Sunggyu gave a firm shake of the head to all of these suggestions and when Woohyun finally pleaded surrender, Sunggyu revealed that he is a 'lecturer' a hint of smugness coming through in his voice.
"Oh really?!" Woohyun asked a little shocked "it's just that you look quite young" 
Sunggyu chortled at that remark and nodded saying "I've heard that a lot, but a lot of people choose to do it later on because they want to do other things beforehand whereas I have always wanted to be straightforward and comfortable" 
Woohyun listened carefully and realised what an interesting character Sunggyu is because his initial appearance caused him to appear mature if a little severe and his occupation suited that well, but his actions towards Woohyun revealed he was actually very thoughtful, friendly and a bit childish too. Woohyun pondered over how much there was to Sunggyu, but what he knew was that Sunggyu seemed to be a nice guy and Woohyun was already glad to have met him. 
"So you intend to stay a lecturer in the future?" Woohyun asked Sunggyu, Sunggyu nodded, "I'm currently studying for my masters to reach the role of a Senior lecturer... and once I have achieved that, who knows where I can go." Woohyun too nodded in understanding before deciding to turn the tables. 
"What about me? What do you think I do for a living?" Woohyun was almost sure Sunggyu wouldn't be able to guess any time soon, but to his surprise Sunggyu remarked "that's obvious!" and he pointed to the far end of the room. Woohyun followed where Sunggyu's finger was pointing and saw his uniform hanging from the edge of the sofa. The 'uniform' was just a formal jacket with the company logo stitched upon the front and for Woohyun's specific role there were the words 'managerial team' beneath the logo. He groaned a little at Sunggyu's quick observation and said "no fun, no fun" causing Sunggyu to give a little trill of laughter whilst standing up with the empty dishes to have them washed. Woohyun scrambled forwards and insisted upon doing it himself since Sunggyu had brought the food and that in itself was more than enough, Sunggyu didn't object and was in fact a little pleased Woohyun had decided to take over the mundane task of washing up. 

 

Without realising they had managed to pass the evening in general chatter from getting to know each other such as what their interests and hobbies are, favourite foods and drinks, likes and dislikes, etc. Woohyun learned that Sunggyu really did enjoy comfortable things like reading and writing (which was natural considering Sunggyu was a lecturer for the Literature course). Furthermore, Sunggyu enjoyed knitting, shopping later in the day, eating street foods, occasionally trying out new recipes and his favourite colour is white. 

 


When it came to 10 o clock, Sunggyu tried to stifle a yawn, but didn't succeed as he was feeling rather lethargic ever since the long train journey that morning. With that, they wrapped up the conversation because Woohyun was a little worried he was keeping Sunggyu up as well as boring him with his anecdotes but that really wasn't the case as Sunggyu tried to reassure him. Sunggyu had a morning class the next day and needed to be in a good mind for a good standard of teaching he believed in upholding. Woohyun noticed the shine in Sunggyu's eyes blaze brighter when he spoke about doing his best for his students, 'he must really enjoy his job' Woohyun thought as he bid goodbye to Sunggyu.
Just as the door was about to shut, Sunggyu called out "you know, I do expect you to return the favour sometime"
Did that really mean what Woohyun thought? An indirect invitation to Sunggyu's apartment?