Chapter 11

Ordinary

The next few days passed by in a blur, with Christmas nearing the sales were starting to pick up and so that meant even more paperwork as well as longer hours at the office since marketing strategies had to be planned and implemented which Woohyun played a big role in. Since a considerable number of workers stayed behind later than usual, they often had dinner together afterwards which sported a fair amount of drink (even if there was work the next day) which led to even later nights. However, Woohyun’s colleagues were much better and holding alcohol than himself so he abstained as much as possible.
Whilst it was great that Woohyun could contribute actively to his workplace, it meant he had less of his own time and this resulted in fewer phone calls with his friends and family and less time spent with Sunggyu. It had been over a week since Woohyun had seen Sunggyu, although they did exchange a few messages it was not enough for Woohyun (despite having told himself he needs to rid himself of the attraction he had towards Sunggyu, it was too difficult).

One Friday evening as he was just about to enter his apartment he heard Sunggyu’s door open and spun around to finally see him, Sunggyu looked just as glad as Woohyun did. Damn did Sunggyu look good with his hair swept back, closely fit beige jumper and thin rimmed glasses. Sunggyu held up two tickets, waving them happily as he proclaimed, “I have tickets!”
Woohyun enquired as to what the tickets were for and Sunggyu handed one over, the slip of card was decorated with Christmas patterns and bright letters read ‘Christmas Lights Ceremony’ with the date set for the following day. Woohyun looked up eagerly “this is for me?”
“Well of course” Sunggyu answered, rolling his eyes a little but laughing softly. “Anyway, where have you been, busy guy?”
Woohyun smiled meekly at the laugh and also because Sunggyu was showing an interest in his whereabouts “honestly just working”


Sunggyu invited him in into his apartment and yet again, Woohyun could not fail to be bedazzled by the cleanliness and organisation of everything, not to mention there was a comfortable warmth too. The T.V was already switched on so Woohyun couldn’t help but assume Sunggyu had been waiting for him. He brushed the thought away quickly as Sunggyu approached him with a can of beer and they both settled on the sofa to watch some show about fridges and cooking.
“Actually, I have never had a drink like this with someone before” Sunggyu confessed, staring into the depths of the can.
“Really??!” Woohyun said disbelievingly “Man you’ve been missing out” he added a refreshing sigh at the end a sip, his mind went back to when Sunggyu had told him that ‘you’re really allowing me to experience a few new things’


Woohyun noticed Sunggyu hadn’t drawn his curtains and stood up to do so, stumbling slightly (Woohyun mentally cursed his clumsiness) causing Sunggyu to look up in alarm. Upon facing the window, his breath was taken away by the view of the city before him. That was another thing that did not fail to amaze Woohyun; all the twinkling lights becoming more colourful and prominent the closer to the city centre, it was stunning. Woohyun feel a little disappointed that he wasn’t able to see this from his own apartment - [that was the only downside to Woohyun’s apartment, it faced the back alley and the side of another tall building beside it so there was not much scenery available].

Gradually, Woohyun could feel his eyes droop under the influence of the fatigue, warmth, buzz of the T.V in the background and alcohol combined. Without realising he drifted off and his head fell onto Sunggyu’s shoulder whom had joined Woohyun at the window to appreciate the view. Sunggyu smiled and gently moved Woohyun over to his bed. Sunggyu noticed Woohyun’s tie was digging into his neck so he loosened it as carefully as possible so as not to disturb the sleeping figure before him. Sunggyu also undid Woohyun’s top two shirt buttons after much deliberation because he would prefer Woohyun’s oxygen supply was not cut off in the middle of the night, Woohyun stirred a little in his slumber causing Sunggyu to hurriedly step back.

It had always baffled Sunggyu as to why watching someone sleep was so romanticised but seeing Woohyun changed his perspective. He’d never been able to admire Woohyun’s carved features so closely; how straight his nose is, how full his lips are, the perfectly sculpted collar bones, faint wrinkles around his mouth because the guy was always smiling, even asleep his lips were slightly upturned. This caused the tug in Sunggyu’s heart to pull even stronger to Woohyun.

Sunggyu discarded of the empty beer cans and shut the T.V off enabling Woohyun to sleep better before residing on the armchair beside Woohyun. The soft ticking of the clock mingled with Woohyun’s steady breathing soon lulled Sunggyu to sleep.

 

The next morning

Woohyun’s phone alarm rang at 6AM (though it was muffled as it was in his trouser pocket) causing him to ruffle around looking for his phone until he fell off what he presumed was his bed with a loud thud, but the floor wasn’t as soft as usual. Rubbing his sore back with one hand and his eye with the other he realised he was in a foreign environment, the floor wasn’t carpeted and the walls were painted a medium shade of grey – completely different to his own room. Looking around frantically, he spotted the dozing figure of Sunggyu on an arm chair. What had happened the last night hit Woohyun causing him to run his hands through his hair in frustration for being so careless and believing he’d inconvenienced Sunggyu. He was relieved Sunggyu hadn’t woken up because he had disturbed Sunggyu enough and owed him a lot.

Before departing Woohyun made Sunggyu breakfast, covered it and left a small note on the side which read ‘I am extremely sorry for bothering you! Call me and allow me to make it up to you x’. Woohyun found the last part quite amusing because it sounded extremely suggestive, but it’s not as if he possessed any shame anyway. He then tip-toed out, the door clicking shut behind him.

At about 8, Sunggyu’s body clock came into action as he woke up and stretched his limbs which felt particularly stiff after having slept in a sitting position all night. He noticed Woohyun wasn’t there any longer, but appreciated the fact that he’d made the effort to make the bed before he left, ‘that’s a cute trait’ Sunggyu thought to himself. Sunggyu yawned widely and went about his usual morning activities until he spotted a bright pink post-it. His heart jolted at Woohyun’s comment and immediately went to call him.
Woohyun answered after 2 rings (to Sunggyu’s relief) with a breathy “hey” causing Sunggyu’s heart to flutter more than he cared to admit, Sunggyu noticed Woohyun was breathing quite rapidly and stuttered out “O-oh you sound b-b-busy, maybe I can call bac-ck later.” Only Woohyun could reduce Sunggyu into a bumbling fool.
“Don’t be silly” Woohyun chirped from the other end of the line “I had literally just finished my morning run when you called” which cleared Sunggyu of any misunderstandings “Anyway, thought more about my offer?” Woohyun said, Sunggyu could just imagine a smirk playing on his lips as he asked that
“What is the meaning of this?” Sunggyu hissed
“Whatever you want it to mean” Woohyun had to use all of his self-control to not add ‘babe’ to the end of that statement.
Sunggyu groaned softly in response to that and after a little bit of lighter chat they ended the call with an agreement that Woohyun would help Sunggyu put up his Christmas decorations that day before they went to the Christmas Lights Opening.