Chapter 3

Ordinary

A sharp alarm rang through Woohyun's apartment breaking the still morning air, Woohyun flailed around for a bit trying to find his phone, it had fallen to the ground so shutting off the alarm proved to be a mission! The white figures swam into Woohyun's view; 05:01. Woohyun yawned widely and was surprised to see a number of missed calls from his parents and friend, Kibum. Rather than being unresponsive he sent them all a message saying he'd fallen asleep a little earlier than usual so he was unable to pick up their calls and thought that would suffice for the time being, his mind was still in the process of waking up. 

 

Woohyun's legs carried him out of bed, the coldness hitting him all at once causing him to shiver as he made his way over to the kitchen so he could quickly down some milk before a morning jog. Perhaps it was a little unwise to do exercise so early on such a chilly day, but Woohyun believed in maintaining his figure. Moreover, it would be a great opportunity for Woohyun to explore the city a little so that he could plan his routes for future morning runs. He knew there was a park nearby and he had wanted to see its size ever since because parks were great areas for stretching without looking like a total loony. After washing himself up and getting into his usual exercise outfit on (which he had luckily unpacked the day before), he left the apartment and was immediately impacted by even colder air, not that it would be a problem as Woohyun would be pouring with sweat soon enough. He slowly picked up pace in proportion to his growing confidence on the city streets because there was hardly anyone about and it was rare to see an open shop so he didn't have to worry about any passing stares. 
In the distance Woohyun thought he had spotted an area surrounded by black gates and upon closer inspection he was correct, he had found the park! It was fairly big and it contained a children's play area, a few benches dotted around everywhere as well as a very pleasant fountain in the middle of the park and a war memorial accompanied by a statue of soldiers situated towards the left. Woohyun drew a deep breath before continuing his routine whilst trying to take in his surroundings at the same time, there was so much he was yet to see. 

 

Woohyun arrived back to his apartment at around 6.30AM, he had taken a little detour to a 24/7 open Supermarket and bought a few groceries which he was lacking, these included bread, eggs, more milk, salad, plastic wrap, a few herbs and some pre-sliced chicken, he would need it for his dinner tonight. 
Upon returning to his apartment, Woohyun had a long-ish shower, ironed his clothes, made breakfast and decided to call Kibum as he would be awake by now. After only two rings Kibum picked up and Woohyun had to hold the phone away from his ear because there was a sudden eruption of noise from the other end, it was Kibum's excitable voice saying things like "why didn't you call earlier?", "have you unpacked yet?", "did you get lost anywhere?" and "I hope you're settling in well!" Woohyun waited for him to finish before answering each question one-by-one starting with "Hello kid, how you doing?" 
Kibum replied impatiently with "Great thanks, now what about you??? It's not as if I was lucky enough to move to the city!" 
"Haha, envy isn't a good look kid" Woohyun giggled at his own comment, Kibum scoffed and threatened to put the phone down until Woohyun cried out "WAIT, I shall tell you everything" and so Woohyun began gushing about how mind-numbing unpacking is, but the apartment is nice and spacious with huge windows and it has a nice kitchen, he mentioned a bit about Sunggyu and his aidance to which Kibum cooed "already making friends are we?" causing Woohyun to falter because he wasn't sure what to call Sunggyu in relation to him. Neighbour sounded too vague, but to Woohyun 'friends' sounded right too. 
"Ah sorry Nam-star, I gotta go because I have a real life calling" Kibum informed Woohyun and so they said their rushed goodbyes making Woohyun feel quite sad as he knew Kibum had also worked really hard, but he hadn't met a good enough opportunity yet. Though Woohyun had to admit, his current situation did seem dream-like since everything was going perfectly. He had been able to pass the months’ probation at his new area of work which allowed him to receive a subsidised rent on his nice apartment and he'd already become acquainted with those at work and believed he had found a friend in Sunggyu too, Woohyun couldn't be more happy!
However, it had only been less than a day and he already felt homesick, he missed saying good morning to his mum and spilling everything about the day’s events to his elder brother or settling down with his dad to watch the TV. For Woohyun this was his largest step into adulthood and he had come to accept it, but it would a little difficult having to be less reliant and dependant on his family. Consumed in his thoughts, Woohyun continued with his newly made morning routine. 

 

The route to work was easy enough for Woohyun now because he'd become accustomed to it from his months’ probation and so despite having walked into the building for many days thus far, there was a different feeling because he knew he was on a permanent contract. Woohyun greeted the guards brightly who nodded back so as not to break their tough image and made his way to his desk on the third floor.

 

The next few days were filled with pages upon pages of paperwork, Woohyun didn't realise how much needed to be signed and posted for stocking a few products but he believed that's what his new role was for, to learn! Meanwhile it left him seldom time to do anything else and he had intended to join the local gym as well as visit Sunggyu. Woohyun's curiosity for viewing the interior Sunggyu's apartment, but he unfortunately had not seen him over the tireless past few days. 
Eventually one afternoon at work he had found some spare time and decided to finally join the gym, a promising search found a "10 day, £10" deal and Woohyun decided to sign up for that because it meant he could see whether the gym was to his liking or not. The temporary membership allowed him from that day and so Woohyun visited it after work because the gym closed at 11.30PM. 
He was given a short tour and set to working out immediately, starting with the rowing machine. Woohyun stepped cautiously around the other members and placed himself next to a male with caramel brown hair. Woohyun recognised that face immediately - "Sunggyu" he whooped out. Sunggyu turned to face him smiling "Aaah Woohyun, it's been a while," Woohyun bobbed his head in return and said "I've been making good use of the flask"
"That's a relief" Sunggyu replied before adding "we seem to run into each other a lot." Woohyun had to bite his lip to prevent himself from cheesily saying 'maybe we're fated' and opted for a very bland "yeah" 
Sunggyu gave a small, joking scoff "is that all I get?" 
"Huh?" Woohyun grunted since he'd got to work on the machine
"Well you look like the cheesy, adorable type" Sunggyu elucidated 
"Ahaha, you must be wary of that side of me otherwise you may just become overwhelmed by my affection"
"Try me" Sunggyu stated simply
Woohyun paused and mulled over what Sunggyu had said for a moment. Sunggyu was the determined type and he wouldn't even back away from a small thing like this 
"You may just regret this" Woohyun warned, but the switch in his brain had already been flicked on. All of a sudden the composed Woohyun became a cutesy boy throwing hearts at Sunggyu and making weird noses which were supposed to be 'loveable' with a huge eye smile all the while. 
Sunggyu's expression was somewhere between feeling aghast and completely blank faced, what had he just witnessed?!
Sunggyu tried to make light of it by overlooking it and failed miserably when Woohyun continually asked him how he found it, Sunggyu sighed and didn't want to admit out loud he had honestly felt a tug in his heart when Woohyun had acted so very.. cute and so Sunggyu settled upon "you must draw in as many hearts as you give out." Woohyun cracked a huge grin at that and Sunggyu couldn't help but feel a little bit of warmth at Woohyun's reaction. 
"Do you practise this in your spare time?" Sunggyu joked 
"It's all spontaneous" Woohyun stated proudly 
The two of them then resolved to pursue their fitness and Woohyun turned out playing a huge hand in Sunggyu's exercise because Woohyun could call him almost hopeless, for the next hour Woohyun became Sunggyu's personal trainer and motivator and it was not an easy task because Sunggyu tired easily and resorted to complaining and blaming the machinery. By and by, Woohyun also felt pretty burned though he hadn't done much exercise himself, rather his energy was spent persuading Sunggyu to do more than 2 minutes of working out. 

 

On their walk home Woohyun seriously asked Sunggyu "what made you join the gym?"
Sunggyu smiled wryly and said "a variety of reasons actually; a resolution and a sacrifice"
Woohyun understood a resolution as many joined the gym in hopes becoming more active in the next year but asked Sunggyu to expand on the other 
"I have this very mischievous student who had been playing up a bit and he somehow knows of my weakness in physical activity so if he were to get a good result on his report, I bet to join the gym. DON'T GET ME WRONG, it was definitely not a failed bet but it just gave that kid an incentive to work because he's ready to jump at any opportunity to tease me"
This tale was extremely amusing to Woohyun because he couldn't really imagine the professional Sunggyu become flustered by those younger than him until he'd just seen him literally suffer ten minutes previously and wondered how satisfied the student must be. 

 

In no time they reached the space between the front doors and Sunggyu thanked Woohyun graciously (but a little bitterly) for the intense exercise session and discovery of muscles he didn't know existed which would surely ache the next day. 
Woohyun really wanted to ask Sunggyu for his phone number so they could possibly schedule visits to the gym together, but held back from doing so because he didn't want to seem to forward.
Again, just as Woohyun's door was about to shut Sunggyu called out "we should do this again sometime" and then retreated into his own residence without delay. 
Again, Woohyun was left with questions, ‘are his thoughts similar to mine? Does he really want to meet me in such circumstances again or is he just being polite??’

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY FIRST A/N:
I realise the story is progressing slowly but I want it to follow the theme of how love is like falling asleep ~~~ slowly at first, then all at once
I truly hope that doesn't put anybody off!

Meanwhile enjoy a bit of Woohyun's aegyo [I can't get enough of it!!!]

 

Good gracious how is it possible for anyone to be this adorable?!