ζ - Chapter 2 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 2

 

An ominous silence has fallen upon the wolf family living in human world, right after Kim Saeun, one of the most powerful Witch of Wolvotaria, had confirmed Hyukjae’s greatest fear… they were coming for Hyukjae. It is true that Hyukjae himself have no idea who ‘They’ were, but that is the terminology he had been hearing from his parents for nearly five years now, thus it has stuck with him.

 

“Now be sure to drink up the scent-repression portion I have made for you, Hyukjae.” Saeun said, while hurrying here and there piling up the important things she might need for her unexpected trip. “I won’t be here to run after you to drink it, like every other day, so you must take it after every 12 hours, don’t even think about slacking. Moreover, be on your guard and no matter what happens under no circumstances are you allowed to use your wolf powers… even if ‘they’ are here, that doesn’t mean they know who they are looking for… and you using your power can give away your identity.”

 

“Okay,” Hyukjae said, his voice sounding hollow to even his own ears.

 

“But Saeun, must you go?” Sora asked, looking worried. “At time like this, you being here is more important. We need you.”

 

“I know dear, but you must understand. I need to know who has crossed the barrier between Wolvotaria and Earth,” Saeun tried explaining once more. “If it’s who we dread it is then I am afraid Earth would no longer be our safe haven we need.”

 

“So what will we do, then?” Hyukjae and Sora’s father inquired, somberly.

 

Saeun didn’t replied readily; instead she fell in deep thinking.

 

“Let’s worry about that when that time comes,” Saeun muttered, a bit dejectedly. “For the time being, I want you all to pack your important belongings… we might or might not have to run at a short notice.”

 

“Okay. But how do we reach you if we need you?” Sora questioned.

 

Saeun pulled off an amulet around her neck; it was rather big with a shiny green black stone in it. She handed the amulet to Sora, mumbling. “Hold on to it tightly and call out my name, I would be able to know.”

 

Sora nodded once and Saeun mirrored her action. With one last fleeting look at the small family of four, Saeun had been living with for last five years now; the Witch was out of the house and running toward the nearest forest. The perks of living in a small town, the wild forest that surrounds the area was perfect for Saeun to channel her Witch powers… she just hope the wolves that has crossed the portal to enter Earth are friends… not foes.

 

.

.

 

Hyukjae moved like a zombie. An internal battle was constantly being fought in his mind… should he have mentioned something about the new arrivals in this small town of Wallison? Or was that just a coincidence? Would that piece of information have been useful for Saeun… a person that Hyukjae was deeply in debt of, the person that had been trying to keep Hyukjae safe and alive for last five years, would it had made Saeun’s life easier if he had said something about Marcus Cho and his hazel green eyed brother? Or was Hyukjae thinking too much into it all… something he always liked to do.

 

Heaving a sigh, the young boy moved around his room, gathering all the important stuff and putting them in a small backpack… small and light enough to run with… because the time has come, Hyukjae could feel it; his days on planet Earth were numbered now.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

One morning Hyukjae stumble in his seat, half asleep, wondering if he should have skipped out on today’s classes. It’s not like human ‘History’ classes would be of any use to Hyukjae… heck, he doubt these classes would even be useful to humans as well. But Hyukjae knew if he had stayed home all he had to endure was his mother’s sad and pitiful eyes directed at him, his father’s constant peeking through the draped cover windows to check if anything out of ordinary was happening on the street and his sister’s constant worry at whether Hyukjae had taken his portion, was he feeling ill or something along that line… compare to all that, listening to Mrs. Simpson’s monologue as she drone about some civil war, was not much of a hassle.

 

“Hi,” A soft voice said, jolting Hyukjae out of his sleepy stance. “Mind if I sit beside you?”

 

It was the new kid, the Gemology Professor’s younger brother, Hyukjae realized upon looking at the speaker. Hyukjae blinked his eyes lazily, giving a once over to the young boy and just like the first day of their arrival all Hyukjae noticed was how the boy was uncharacteristically pretty… his pale skin complimented his whitish blond hairs and hazel green eyes very well… but it were the stoic and cold expressions on others face that made Hyukjae curious to get to know other. Something about the strong aura around the boy was inquisitive.

 

“Yeah sure,” Hyukjae mumbled, picking up his backpack from the seat beside him, making space for the new boy.

 

The other muttered a soft ‘Thank you’ just before their History Professor marched in the class, the rather young Professor not sparing even a single minute to fool around, started the lecture. Hyukjae spent some good 10 minutes of the class taking the useless notes before heaving a sigh; the young boy closed his notebook. Turning a little to idly glance at his seat-mate, Hyukjae was surprise to find the hazel green eyes fixed on him.

 

“What?” Hyukjae spat, voice conveying his annoyance.

 

“I believe I didn’t get to introduce myself,” The blond boy said, his voice nothing but a mere whisper but a hint of smile was tugging at the corner of his lips. “I am Sehun.”

 

“Umm… and I am Hyukjae, Lee Hyukjae.” Hyukjae mumbled, seeming a little confuse at other boy’s behavior.

 

“Yeah, I know that.”

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow at Sehun’s peculiar choice of words, silently urging the hazel green eyed boy to explain what he exactly meant by that but Sehun flashed smallest smile possible, in Hyukjae’s direction, before putting his undivided attention on the Professor… leaving Hyukjae unsated and on high alert, the warning bells chiming loudly in his mind.

 

The bell signally the end of lecturer rang loudly. Hyukjae jumped out of his seat readily and was out of the class in a heartbeat, aware of Sehun’s light eyes watching his back. Hyukjae had a long day ahead of him and he had two options… one to run back home to hide forever and other to avoid Sehun and his elder brother at all cost. For some reason running back home didn’t sound as appealing to him as it normally would… even if he was somewhat sure about Sehun and Marcus being dodgy person… but there was no scent on them, just like there was none on Hyukjae, just like there was none on Humans as well… the very reason why Hyukjae opted to stay rather than run away. It’s not like anyone can sniff him out. But if he was to run now, Sehun might find him suspicious.

 

Thus Hyukjae spent all day long avoiding Sehun like a contagious disease but he could have sworn Sehun was looking for him because no matter how much Hyukjae tried to move in the opposite direction from Sehun, the other would be seen making his way to Hyukjae’s hiding spot. But all of his efforts came to a waste when Hyukjae found Sehun sharing his last class with him… and without even asking for permission, Sehun flumped down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter