ζ - Epilogue - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPILOGUE

 

Hyukjae ran as fast as his, half shoved in sneaker, feet would allow. His breath was hitching; the stitch in his chest tightening with each leap he took, yet the younger man urged himself to speed up. Suddenly his barely socked foot caught in the crack of the cemented pathway, making him to stumble.

 

“Easy there,” An amused voice said out of blue, as a warm and guff hand took hold of Hyukjae’s muscular arm, consequently steading the falling werewolf. “What’s with the fast pace? Slow down a little.”

 

Hyukjae took a moment longer to get his wits together before snatching his arm out of the strong grip and glowering at the crocked smile- he would never admit out loud- he loved most in the whole Wolvotaria. Donghae stood in all his glory, shining brighter than the climbing fireball behind him… sidetracking Hyukjae to some magnitude. Huffing loudly and snorting indignantly, the Zeta flipped his soft bangs falling in his small eyes.

 

“Can’t,” Hyukjae said in his typical sassy manner, making Donghae to suppress a smile. “I am already late… and unless you want to remain mate less for the rest of your life just because you distracted me with your handsome face, making me late and giving my sister a legit reason to kill me… I suggest, you stop cutting my way, Lee Donghae.”

 

“The same old threat,” Donghae groaned, pretending to be wounded. “Nevertheless, you being alive but me still being mate less is the matter we are gonna ignore as always, right?”

 

“You know me so well,” Hyukjae faked a beam before darting a wicked grin at Donghae’s grimace. “Keep up the good work and dear Alpha I might just… you know…”

 

Hyukjae smiled, that mysterious and teasing smile he seemed to have reserved only for the poor royal Lee, before swirling around and running down the path Hyukjae could cover blindfolded. In mere minutes, the panting werewolf found himself outside the glass door of the café ‘The Zeta’. He couldn’t help but roll his eyes because even when the café was named after him, nonetheless his mother and sister practically owned the whole place and bossed over the Zeta, like nobody’s business.

 

Six months ago, when Hyukjae’s sister had come up with the idea to start their own small outlet of a café, Hyukjae had not been fond of the idea of advertising his name… however, his sister and mother had looked at him with such misty and loving eyes, that Hyukjae’s heart had melted, telling himself how his family loved him so much that they wanted to name the business after him. But cruel reality had crashed over Hyukjae when his sister had shoved a mop in his hand- explaining how he had to clean the place up every morning before opening and every night after the café has close down- along with an apron, saying; how Hyukjae would be the prime waiter at the place.

 

“The café ‘Zeta’ run by the Zeta himself, how amazing would that look once you become the King of Wolvotaria, only if Donghae doesn’t die with blue balls, that is,” Sora had muttered ever so kindly, grinning a broad and charming smile in the face of stunned Hyukjae.

 

In all honesty, the news of their café where the Zeta himself served the customers had spread like wild fire in the market of town Bow, where Hyukjae’s family had settled down once they were sure Hyukjae’s life was safe of any threats. Of course, the Lee’s original house- before they were rather unceremoniously forced to migrate to planet Earth- had been burned down to ground when the Noble’s had been searching high and low for the Zeta… thus clearly they needed a new place to settle down and Saeun had ever so graciously offered them a house she had owned in heritage, claiming how she and Sungmin were well settle in the Magic Maniacs Headquarter.

 

“We are not like the Guardians,” Saeun had explained to Hyukjae when he had felt burdened with Saeun’s polite gesture. “You know, once you mate properly, there would be no need for Guardians thus they would have to leave the Lustrous Grotto, their headquarter, in search for their own place in Wolvotaria. While Magic Maniac is home to every Epsilon and Upsilon that exists in whole Wolvotaria, however, some can live on their own if they wish. Like, Flare has decided to join the Grey Canines in favor to be alongside her mate. So Hyukjae, use this house as you please since I don’t need it; that would make me happy.”

 

Now, Hyukjae lived in town Bow, not so far away from the Golden Palace, while they started their small café in the main market of the same town, attracting customers in marvelous volume. Slowly, their business started to flourish at such pace that Hyukjae cried at the pain in his backbone and feet, due to heavy labor, cause he was absolutely forbidden to use any of his powers; finally, compelling Sora to hire some extra help.

 

As Hyukjae stood outside the shop, whose door sign still said ‘close’, contemplating what excuse he would utter to his sister for being late, the sound of hurried footsteps made him to turn around and find a tall boy running toward him from the other corner of the nearly deserted street.

 

“S-sorry… I-I’m l-late…” The pale skin boy panted, coming to lean his tired body against Hyukjae.

 

“Don’t worry so am I,” Hyukjae assured, relief washing over him because if Jaehyun was also late for work, then that could only mean that Sora won’t be able to scold them. She adored the baby Omicron; so much so, that Jaehyun could break crockery, make a mess of the order and could even flat out insult any arrogant Alpha customer of theirs… yet Sora could not bring herself to repent the young Omicron. But if it was Hyukjae… oh boy… all hell would break free. Nonetheless, the good thing was, if Hyukjae and Jaehyun end up making same mistake, Sora’s conscious won’t allow her to spare Jaehyun while scold Hyukjae, thus she would spare both the boys.

 

“Why must we come so early to open the shop anyways,” Jaehyun whined, nuzzling his head against Hyukjae’s recently laundered shirt. “Every morning I just want to sleep in. The only reason why I joined the evening study program in the University of Wolvotaria… sleep is precious to me!”

 

“What are you even mumbling about,” Hyukjae swat the younger boy’s head lightly, before cautiously opening the door of the empty café shop and leading the boy with him. “I clearly remember, Sora putting forward three shifts times before you… urging you to choose the noon shift just before your university time, but you were hell bent over taking the same time as my shift.”

 

“I know!” Jaehyun exclaimed cheekily. “But why must you take the morning shift?”

 

“This is the perfect time for me,” Hyukjae replied calmly, moving toward the utility closet and taking out two mops and cleaning products. “I have other things to take care of later in the evening.”

 

“Of course,” Jaehyun singsong, nudging the slightly blushing Hyukjae. “Things for lover boy, huh?”

 

“Shut up!” Hyukjae hissed, pushing away the annoyingly grinning Jaehyun from his face. “And beside, Sora pays more for morning shift, since it’s longer in time and we also have to clean up the place every morning.”

 

“Lee Hyukjae, is that you?” Sora’s voice drifted out from the kitchen at the back of the shop, making Hyukjae to roll his eyes because he noticed the bossy tone lacing his sister’s words. “You are late to work!”

 

“Jaehyun is with me too,” Hyukjae screamed back, smoothing the grin threatening to break over his rich in gum mouth.

 

“Oh!” Sora exclaimed before her tiny head peeked through the kitchen door, just to confirm Hyukjae’s words. “Oh… okay then.”

 

“Biased!” Hyukjae hissed, glaring at the flapping door of the kitchen before he shifted his glare toward the chuckling Jaehyun. “She used to love me the most, until you came along in our life.”

 

“What can I say?” Jaehyun muttered, blinking his eyes rather innocently. “I am adorable.”

 

“Yes, a sentiment Taeyong seemed to share along all your admirers,” Hyukjae teased and noticed with satisfaction when Jaehyun’s smile froze in its place. Immediately, Jaehyun started cleaning the wooden floor, the back of his neck flushed red. Hyukjae’s gummy smile was on full display… because teasing the baby Omicron was most fun.

 

Out of nowhere, Hyukjae’s smile dropped… knowing what was waiting for him in few hours. The only time when Hyukjae and Jaehyun could sympathize with each other; was just around the corner… because as soon as the café opens…

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

“Jaehyun, here is the order for table 9,” Hyukjae muttered, ing a laden tray in the direction of baby Omicron’s frozen figure.

 

“No,” Jaehyun moaned pitifully, hastily shoving the silver tray back on Hyukjae’s chest. “I am not going near that cursed table.”

 

“Yes you are,” Hyukjae argued back, patience running thin. “I served them half an hour ago, now it’s your turn. We already talk how things would go, remember? We serve them alternatively.”

 

“But that jerk of Gamma purposefully spilled his drink ten minutes ago,” Jaehyun complained, pointedly ignoring the loud protest of ‘hey, it was an accident’ from the said Gamma, whose sensitive ears were obviously eavesdropping on Hyukjae and Jaehyun’s earnest dispute. “Like standing in close proximity of him is not bad enough, his predator eyes are practically glued to my back.”

 

“Tell me about it,” Hyukjae groaned, tilting his head enough to gaze at the golden orbs staring straight at him, over Jaehyun’s shoulder. That taunting smirk Hyukjae received along the intense stare explained how much the other guy was enjoying Hyukjae’s predicaments. “One would think they have nothing better to do when the reality state they both are probably busiest werewolves at the moment.”

 

“Talk about your wolf, mine is just a useless ,” Jaehyun retorted, grinning when another loud protest sounded from the Gamma sitting at the table 9.

 

Hyukjae sighed, knowing very well that Jaehyun won’t budge, thus it was the Zeta’s duty to serve their very ‘loyal’ and ‘regular’- sarcasm intended- customers. Bracing himself, Hyukjae started treading toward the round table sitting in the far corner of the café. Every damn morning, as soon as Hyukjae would flip the ‘close’ sign to ‘open’, the door of the café would be yank open bringing in those two loyal customers of theirs. Sora loved them- not only because the rich customers would order enormous food from time again- rather because she considered them a part of her family.

 

“One latte and one Cold-Coffee,” Hyukjae said in a dead tone, putting down the ordered drinks on the gleaming oak table surface, avoiding any sort of eye contact with the customers. “A slice of cheese cake and a blue berry muffin… anything else?”

 

“Yes please,” A deep voice purred while leaning forward to clasp a hand around Hyukjae’s thin wrist. Pulling a chair out, the hand owner tugged Hyukjae to take a seat beside him; however the Zeta drew back on instinct. “Come on now, you know I ordered this cheese cake for you… I don’t even like cheese cake…”

 

The tint of whine and hint of a pout around those thin lips was not enough to melt the Zeta’s heart. Hyukjae huffed in a sassy manner, throwing back his head before sneering out, “Lee Donghae, must you give me reasons to consider my mate choices? I don’t think I would be very happy if my mate doesn’t like cheese cake, you know.”

 

“Why not?” Taeyong, Donghae’s best pal lately, chimed in with a cheeky grin. “In that way, after mating, you get to have double serving of cheese cake, even Donghae’s part… that’s win-win situation”

 

“Hmm,” Hyukjae seriously contemplated over young Gamma’s words, liking the way he put it. Suddenly a gummy smile bloomed over the Zeta’s plump lips. “That does sound rather appealing.”

 

Hyukjae noticed Donghae fist bumping Taeyong under the table, making the Zeta to slant his eyes at the duo.

 

Now back tracking a little… this all started a couple of months back, when Hyukjae was already two months into his slavery- oh, he means his job! Eight months ago, when Hyukjae was successful in defeating his prime enemies, eliminating any threat to his life on Wolvotaria, while mocking Donghae to come and woo him… things didn’t go as planned. The Golden Alpha, Lee Dongwook, Donghae’s father’s illness took a sudden turn. The aging man was rumored to be taking his last breathes. Then, out of blue, the news of Golden Alpha’s death spread like wildfire through the Wolvotaria. Some Wolvotarian were happy, some were grieving. However, Hyukjae could only think about his future mate. The sudden death of Golden Alpha only meant how Donghae would be stepped forward to fill that spot.

 

Three days after the death of the previous Golden Alpha, the Royal management held the crowning ceremony for Donghae- being the Golden Alpha- while Kai obtain his Silver Alpha title, considering how he was the most powerful werewolf- after Donghae, that is- chosen by the Four Moons. If something was to happen to Donghae, naturally Kai would be the one to fill in the place for the King of Wolvotaria, as per law of their world.

 

The unexpected burden of leadership had cut Donghae off from his normal life. The Golden Alpha drowned himself in the political issue of the country, leaving Hyukjae waiting for his mate. After six months of that grave incident, where Hyukjae was seen complaining how he would die a as he faked cry in Ara’s - the newly appointed leader for the Guardians- lap. While Sehun, who had declared his wish to move in with his own mate, since he would naturally lose his Guardian title once Hyukjae gets mated, tried his best to explain how Donghae was equally anxious to be beside him. Then, fortunately, after those six torturous months, one day, out of blue Lee Donghae stumble over Hyukjae’s café. Even if the Zeta wanted nothing better than to run in his future mate’s waiting arms, yet the sassy docile werewolf part wanted nothing but to be cherished with attention… compelling Hyukjae to play hard to get. Consequently, for last two whole months, Lee Donghae spent his better part of morning sitting around the Zeta Café, ogling Hyukjae work while dropping sweet comments and complements at any available opportunity. The gossip about the new Golden Alpha and the Zeta became quite a scandal in short amount of time. But thankfully, majority of Wolvotarian took the news with happiness.

 

However, this was not the only thing the Golden Alpha did to pursue his mate. The occasional dinner dates, watching sunsets, late night strolls at river Wush bank and few escapades in thickness of Immortal Forest’s for the much needed make out session- which the Half-Elves were not that fond of- was a big part of these couple of months.

 

Donghae was everything a werewolf could ask for in his mate… kind, attentive and understanding. Even as a ruler, he surpassed any other ruler of Wolvotaria. Most Wolvotarian grew fond of the new King rather quickly, except a few narrow minded people who were still stuck in past. Donghae took it as his job description to roam the streets of their small world, paying attention to the living condition of his subjects. He provided aid where needed, gave his condolence where necessary and showed his support to young inclusive minds.

 

Nevertheless, with Donghae’s strong resolve to be beside Hyukjae as much as he could… another werewolf took to fall behind his King’s footsteps; Lee Taeyong, the Gamma Jaehyun seems to despise. Where Donghae would grace Hyukjae with his presence at the café every single day, Taeyong would be there to ‘provide company to Donghae’ as the Gamma had specified on his first week being there. However, it became painfully obvious Taeyong was also on a mission of his own. His lame pick-up lines never seemed to work on the haughty Omicron, yet the Gamma was hell bent on following Jaehyun to the end of Wolvotaria. The poor Gamma was subjected to the sizzling burn Jaehyun’s Omicron powers would leave in their awake, whenever Taeyong would make the mistake of touching the Omicron, still the member of Grey Canine was stubborn to the very core of him.

 

Now, back to present, Lee Donghae and Lee Taeyong were happily sitting on their- self-claimed- table… ordering food after every half an hour… making sure Sora would remain happy so no one would dare kick them out of the Café.

 

“No can do sir,” the Zeta swat away Donghae’s reaching hand, rolling his eyes at Donghae’s attempt to pout. “I am working and if I were to sit with you for even a single minute, Sora is gonna make me work overtime for a damn hour, which I can’t afford. I have plans for today.”

 

“What plans?” Donghae asked sharply, aware of the fact that Hyukjae has no plans made with the Golden Alpha, even if Donghae had been pestering the Zeta for a dinner date for days now.

 

“Just some work at the Lustrous Grotto,” Hyukjae shrugged in a nonchalant manner but for some reason his eyes twinkle. “Meeting with Ara, Kyuhyun and Sehun… then have this massive thing planned for later in the evening…”

 

“With Ara?” Donghae constricted his eyes at Hyukjae’s gummy smile, jealousy sheening on his face.

 

“Relax Donghae, she is mated,” Hyukjae pointed out with a roll of his eyes, even though he was enjoying the strong emotions flashing past on Golden Alpha’s face. “Rather than protecting me like his job description says, Kyuhyun would kill me if I even thought about Ara in any wrong sense.”

 

“My least comfort,” Donghae grumbled. “Now tell me; what’s that massive thing you need to do later in evening? You kept stalling our dinner date for a week now… but suddenly you have time for other people?”

 

“That’s a secret,” Hyukjae whispered while giving a wink to an agitated looking Donghae, before quickly walking back toward the counter. It was only the start of the day, Hyukjae still had a few hours to go through before his shift ends, thus; it was fun to see a desperate Donghae demanding to be let in on his plans, after every few minutes.

 

Hyukjae and Jaehyun kept working diligently, serving and clearing orders in a rhythm. Soon, the clock was striking midday and the next two part-time workers were coming in for their shift. Giddy and smiling, Hyukjae and Jaehyun came out of the kitchen area, back in their normal everyday clothes. The moment they both stepped outside the café, Donghae and Taeyong stopped them right there… demanding attention individually.

 

“Sorry, it’s an important meeting, we have to go,” Jaehyun supplied quickly, avoiding Taeyong’s intense gaze. “Come on Hyukjae… let’s hurry…”

 

“Wait a second,” Hyukjae huffed before turning toward a dejected looking Donghae. Smirking in a teasing manner, the Zeta leaned in to whisper in his future mate’s ear. “Be at our spot around six tonight… and I might just let you in on my massive thing planned for tonight.”

 

But before either, the Zeta or the Omicron, could move, Sora’s came running out of the café shouting for Hyukjae, “Hyuk, Hyuk! You gotta help your sister… there are too many customers so Jaemin and Jeno are working behind the counter, I need someone to do dishes.”

 

“But Sora, I gotta go meet Ara, it’s important,” Hyukjae threw his hands in the air, at the mistreatment.

 

“Just half an hour,” Sora pleaded. “Jaehyun would go first and explain everything to Ara, won’t you baby boy?”

 

“Of course,” Jaehyun beamed in an innocent and puppy like manner before flashing a devil smile to Hyukjae. “I would be going first, Hyukjae… sad you would be late…”

 

Hyukjae watched Jaehyun running at full speed, while the Zeta could only scowl at the laughing Donghae. Stomping his feet, he made his way to the kitchen and started doing the dishes, while throwing curses at his sister under his breath.

 

“I can hear you, you know?” Sora said after a while of listening to all the curses but Hyukjae only opted to poke his tongue at her, childishly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter