ζ - Chapter 1 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 1

 

The dull drone of the Semiotics’ Professor was tedious, making the majority of the students, sitting in the long Hall-room, to doze off. Some were seen nodding at the lecturer but their skipping eyes giving away the fact that their mind was elsewhere. And just like those students there was also a young boy, nearly twenty, that sat with his head turned toward the dusty and long window of the Hall-room, his eyes fixed on the fading sun of the autumn evening.

 

Suddenly a loud and defensive ‘Oww’ was heard coming from the young boy as he turned to give a baffled look to the seething Professor, who had apparently chucked a broken piece of chalk at him she was writing with, and his face clearly said ‘What the Eff did I do?’ which only made the Professor to glare harder.

 

“Lee Hyukjae, I am delivering the lecture on the board not outside the window.” The Semiotics’ Professor huffed in annoyance once before turning back to her class.

 

“Yes, the very reason why I was looking outside rather than on the board,” Hyukjae mumbled sourly before he turned to give a discreet look at his class fellows and again grumbled in annoyance to know that after his mishap his class mates were back to pretending to be attentive and listening to the Professor even if they couldn’t care to give two flying Effs about the Greek terminologies their Professor was droning about.

 

“So, as I was saying, in Greek Alphabets Zeta is the sixth letter but in numerical system Zeta has a value of 7…”

 

Hyukjae’s head jerked up quickly, his eyes wide, as that one specific word drummed on his ears making his clogged up mind to throw him back to a few years ago… the years when he was happy… content… carefree with his friends… taking training as any normal pup would… when he was in his own World… when he was in Wolvotaria…

 

.

.

 

“… so the Zeta itself might not be the most powerful Wolf out there but once mated with a Zeta, a normal wolf’s powers are enhanced beyond his belief,” Ms. Fipis’s long ranted lecture got her the same reaction she gets every year whenever ‘The Zeta’ topic comes… and even this year she was amused to see gapping mouths of her students, everyone sitting in pure awe.

 

“What kind of powers, Ms. Fipis?” Zoya, a rather sensible student, asked after raising her hand in the air.

 

“To be honest, nobody exactly knows,” Ms. Fipis started, looking a little thoughtful. “The only person that knows the extent of those powers is the one who mates with a Zeta… but all through the History of Wolvotaria, the said wolf has never revealed his powers for the Whole Wolf Race to know.”

 

Suddenly all students face fell, like a treat had been snatched from their hands… obviously they were hoping to get some worthy information to keep their interest in the current subject.

 

“But it can be seen this way,” Ms. Fipis said loudly, to gain everyone’s attention again. “The Zeta’s are so powerful that if a beta mates with them their ranking would increase and they would be put higher than an Alpha.”

 

“Whoa, really…?” Shindong, a chubby and cute whelp said with his small eyes blinking rapidly as he turned to share an amazed look with his best friends Ryeowook and Hyukjae, who looked as awe-struck as the chubby boy.

 

“Yes… and similarly if a Delta was to mate with a Zeta then his rank would become equal to an Alpha’s,” Ms. Fipis told the once again excited looking class of 15 year old pups, in Wolveemo.

 

“What about an Alpha?” Suddenly, a tall and arrogant looking boy, better known as Choi Siwon the Prince of Wolveemo, asked. “What if an Alpha was to mate with Zeta… then what would happen?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious… an Alpha with a Zeta mate would be above all, and by all I mean every Alpha, beta, gamma, kappa and what not… so obviously he would become the next ruler of Wolvotaria,” Ms. Fipis said, keeping her face blank and neutral, like she had not just release one of the biggest piece of information. But where whole class went ‘Ohhh’ and ‘Ahhh’ at that bit of news there Siwon was seen giving a self-satisfied smirk before leaning back in his seat.

 

“Jerk! It’s like he thinks he would be an Alpha for sure and would have Zeta as his mate,” Hyukjae spat sourly, turning to look at his friends and even if he had kept his voice low but it was no surprise when the sharp-wolf ears of his whole class fellows have been able to hear him say that.

 

“I don’t only think, but know this would happen, -face,” Siwon sneered at Hyukjae.

 

“Language Hyukjae and Siwon,” The Teacher cautioned her students before turning to Zoya, who had her hand hitting the air once more. “Yes, Zoya?”

 

“Ms. Fipis, what about a Zeta mating with a Zeta, then what kind of scenario could occur?” Zoya asked somberly, making half of their rowdy class to tone down and listen to what their teacher would say, intrigued.

 

“That is not possible because the legend has it; a Zeta is only born once in one century.” Ms. Fipis informed them, smiling at the disbelief splashed across every students face.

 

“Just one in one hundred years?” Hyukjae wondered out loud and their teacher gave an affirmative nod of her head.

 

“Then, do you know anything about last century’s Zeta, Ms. Fipis?” An intrigued Zoya asked once more but apparently that was one question which was revolving in nearly every student’s mind, if all students turning their heads to look expectedly at their teacher were taken into account.

 

“I am afraid-” The teacher started but was cut off by another student, Fiona, who sat in far corner of the class, her legs propped up on the empty chair in front of her and her emo looks screaming danger… it came as nothing but a surprise when she spoke because she was never the one to take interest in class activities or discussions.

 

“Last Century’s Zeta died when she was only 19,” Fiona’s deep and low voice rumbled through the exceptionally quiet room. “She was killed by her own parents.”

 

An ominous silence followed the emo girl’s words, with every student looking at her in fear and curiosity… hoping she would carry on with the story but too afraid to ask her to do so.

 

“Now, now, let’s not talk about such nonsense rumors,” Ms. Fipis quickly said, trying to plant the idea as rumor in her pure minded student’s heads.

 

“That’s not a rumor, it’s true.” Fiona declared, her eyes dangerously narrowing at the teacher accusing her of lying. “Kim Zilimna was the Zeta of 20th century… and she was killed by her parents before she could mate with anyone.”

 

“B-but w-why?” Zoya asked, cautiously and regretted opening when Fiona’s dark penetrating stare landed on her.

 

“Because she was seen as a weapon rather than a person… every powerful wolf was out to hunt for Zeta, greedy to get their hands on the so-called ‘power beyond belief’ if they could mate with her… Zilimna was almost once, by a notorious Alpha who was known for his cruelty and harshness… and her parents knew it won’t be long before one of those Alphas gets their hands on their daughter and become the Ruler of Wolvotaria… so in order to save our World they sacrific

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter