ζ - Chapter 18 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 18

 

They started their march in the middle of the night.

 

The werewolves trained by the Guardians making up the defense line, with Siwon and Guardians behind them while the rare was brought up Noble’s army.

 

Jericho threw a loathing glare at the youngest Noble yet again. Earlier he had tried questioning why their werewolves be at the front line but Jaejoong had shut him with a glare, mumbling something about ‘voluntary’ Guardians were waste of space, needless to say the Kappa was seething with fury. It was damn obvious how Siwon cared least about common Wolvotarian who were here as the rebellion group willing to fight for a better future and unfortunately Jaejoong was no better than the Noble.

 

Heskel and Jericho shared a look behind Jaejoong’s back, and an understanding passed through them. Jaejoong’s high and mighty days were coming to a close, if this war doesn’t ensures it then they would personally make sure to kill the so-called leader of Guardians. It was about time things be done in the right manner.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

Hyukjae sat looking at the beautiful view before him, the clean periwinkle water of River Wush sparkled under the golden rays of invisible sun, the green grass around the land giving a soothing feel to him and the pretty flowers that blossomed around the river only giving the place a look of paradise.

 

Currently, Hyukjae sat on a low boulder balance at the bank of the River, hand gliding against the running water as his mind kept going over and over what he has learned a few hours ago.

 

 

Flash Back:

 

“Aiden,” Hyukjae gritted out, tears of frustration and betrayal swimming in his eyes.

 

“Aiden, an apprentice of Vinz,” Chanyeol supplied easily, disregarding the way Hyukjae’s body shook in unexplainable anger. “A name he acquired long ago, from Vinz nevertheless. He was first called a caterpillar, if I recall correctly.”

 

“You mean… Aiden is his name as well?” Hyukjae questioned in a stunned manner and suddenly his brains recalled the time he met Aiden in the Viogreoxath Forest and even Vinz had called him as ‘Aiden’.

 

“Of course,” Chanyeol inclined his head in agreement. “Lee Donghae kept his identity hidden under that name on many occasions. He enrolled under that name in Wolveemo, even.”

 

“What?” Hyukjae frowned at the Half-Elf before prodding his memories, the ones that became all blur and hazy after the attack from that fateful night. Out of blue, a sharp pain sizzled through Hyukjae’s skull, making him cry out at the cutting pain. He fell on his knees, screaming as the pain seared through his whole body before seeping out from his system in an instant and Hyukjae realized Baekhyun’s soft hands supporting his suddenly exhausted body. The petite half-elf helped the Zeta to stand back on his feet, looking rather concerned. “W-what… what w-was th-that?”

 

“You unlocked the memories that were sealed away after the tragedy,” Chanyeol explained patiently, looking at Hyukjae with hope. “You had not been able to recall your past rather effectively, have you?”

 

“No, I had not…” Hyukjae’s voice trailed away as images over images flashed before his eyes; a face of certain someone, always looking at Hyukjae from across the room, corridors or grounds of Wolveemo. “He was there…”

 

“He had always been there,” Chanyeol supplied nonchalantly. “It’s you who forgot him, Hyukjae.”

 

Things finally started to fall in place, the night he met Aiden, the reason why his mark stopped prickling, the way Aiden frowned when Hyukjae didn’t recognized him, the reason why Aiden seemed so at ease… the reason why Hyukjae had been at so ease in the presence of other.

 

The facts that didn’t sum up were why Aiden dropped him off back at the Mansion if he was as power hungry Silver Alpha as everyone made him sound as? Why Aiden never took advantage of Hyukjae when he had willing went to meet him that one time when he tested his teleportation powers? Why Aiden didn’t abduct him at the first moment since he knew who exactly Hyukjae was? Why Aiden looks at him like he was his whole world? Why Aiden had always looked at Hyukjae like he shone brighter than the four Moons of Wolvotaria?

 

“I am intrigued though,” Baekhyun said in his soft voice, looking at Hyukjae with hint of bafflement. “Your attacker, Kim Jaejoong, the leader of Guardians; why aren’t you surprised at that piece of news?”

 

“Because we, that is to say Ara and I, sort of figure that out long ago,” Hyukjae replied earnestly. “It didn’t shock me even then. Jaejoong seemed dodgy from day one. But Aiden… well, I trusted him and I feel like he lied to me.”

 

“Lee Hyukjae, let me ask you a question now,” Chanyeol’s deep voice echoed in the small Sanctuary, snapping Hyukjae’s attention toward the suddenly much taller and intimidating looking Half-Elf. “Why do you want to reject the Silver Alpha’s mark?”

 

“Because,” Hyukjae started immediately before he stopped short, realizing he has no better reason to give than the one he provided Vinz that day. “He…”

 

“Yes?” Chanyeol urged but by the blank look on Hyukjae’s face it was obvious the Zeta had no reason to present. “You see Hyukjae; things in Elfania are different than general part of Wolvotaria because the sole reason for our existence is protection of Solar Sanctuary and its hidden secrets. In order to remove any kind of greed, only one Prime Elf exists while the docile half-elf helps to save our kind to survive… but once mated none of the elves complain. We live like a big happy family, while this mere contentment is what makes us keep going forward. Wolvotaria was a place like that long ago… werewolves were happy as they were until the feeling of unattainable pleasure, lust and consequently power lead them to find reasons to get rid of their mates and mark the next best werewolf they could found.”

 

“I don’t understand,” Hyukjae mumbled confusion evident on his face.

 

“The Sanctuary just showed the most vital memory of yours,” Chanyeol said solemnly gesturing toward the basin whose water was back to its periwinkle shade. “Jaejoong attacked you because he wanted the power that could take him beyond his status… Siwon was a power hungry noble since the day he was born… Donghae was the Silver Alpha…”

 

“I still don’t understand,” Hyukjae found his voice growing frustrated at all the riddles Chanyeol seemed to be presenting before him. “If Donghae was already a Silver Alpha then why would he mark me like that in the first place?”

 

“He didn’t mark you, he saved you Hyukjae,” Baekhyun pointed out, looking at Hyukjae with wide blue eyes like he was trying to make the Zeta reach at a certain epiphany.

 

“Put it like that,” Chanyeol spoke again, patience lacing his words. “The Zetas in history always met a dreadful end as soon as they come of age because power hungry wolves sought them out for their own pleasure. Standing before you were two wolves, Siwon and Jaejoong, who want you for your power. But they are the ones you know of, Hyukjae, trust me when I say there are several low-key wolves searching high and low for a Zeta, right this moment. Now the reason why you are alive rather than meeting the same fate as previous Zetas is only because you were marked by a werewolf who was already high in power… killing you means, Donghae gets to keep the title of Silver Alpha, something neither Jaejoong nor Siwon would appreciate. Which brings me back to my question… why do you want to reject the Silver Alpha’s mark, Hyukjae?”

 

Hyukjae stood silent, looking at Chanyeol and Baekhyun with a lost expression on his face.

 

“You need a reason to reject a mark, Hyukjae,” Chanyeol explained in an unhurried manner. “Your wolf-sprit needs a closure before acting on your demand. Why must the mark be removed? Why must you be left vulnerable for other werewolves to tear you apart in their own greed? Do you have an alternative werewolf as your future mate?”

 

“No,” Hyukjae whispered finally getting the gist of Chanyeol’s intense questions. “You are confusing me.”

 

“I am merely guiding you Hyukjae,” Chanyeol assured kindly. “I have no power to tell you what to do, but I do know all of your doubts need to be lifted before you come to a decision. You must follow your instinct and heart to lead you to correct road.”

 

“So… so you think I should be with the Silver Alpha?” Hyukjae questioned like a naïve child.

 

“No Hyukjae, I am not telling you to be with anyone,” Chanyeol muttered. “All I am saying is; the pure water of River Wush flows right outside this Sanctuary, which can without a doubt clear away your mark… but once mark free, you would become the best food item for other beastly werewolves. You also have the option to reject the mark, but only once you know why you wanna get rid of the mark. I am only suggesting you to go and find that reason before rejecting the mark; don’t leave yourself bare and vulnerable just yet…”

 

Hyukjae bit his bottom lip, thinking over Chanyeol’s words while rubbing his aching head. Things sure were messed up.

 

.

 

.

 

“Still confused?” A voice asked from behind making Hyukjae to snap out of his overwhelming thoughts. The Zeta need not turn around to confirm the intruder because Baekhyun came to sit opposite him in next moment, looking at Hyukjae with his almond blue eyes, amused.

 

“Frankly speaking,” Hyukjae started carefully, not sure how to voice out his thoughts. “I came here thinking that all the answers to my troubles would be laid out on a table or something. But, yes Chanyeol only ended up making me more confuse.”

 

“Hmm,” Baekhyun whirled a finger in the grass around him before looking up at Hyukjae. “Hyukjae, Chanyeol is wrong to think that we elves don’t have greed or regrets.”

 

“What do you mean, Baekhyun?” Hyukjae turned to give his full attention to the forlorn looking docile half-elf. “Aren’t you happy? You are the elf Chanyeol chose for himself, right?”

 

“Do you know why I spent so long in the Sanctuary just now, Hyukjae?” Baekhyun asked in a whisper, making the Zeta to frown. Hyukjae hadn’t thought much on the matter when Baekhyun had insisted on staying beside the golden tulip once Hyukjae came out of the sanctuary. “I am not allowed to enter the Sanctuary as I please. Most of the times I have to wait months before Chanyeol let me see my child, because that’s apparently how things work here.” Hyukjae looked unsettle but did made to interrupt the petite half-elf. “When all other elves tell me how lucky I am that Chanyeol chose me as his longest companion, I do smile like an arrogant elf but deep down it hurts as well because I am not allowed to be beside my own child. Sometimes I wonder would I willingly accept Chanyeol’s proposal to create the special tulip if I could go back in time… then Kyungsoo knuckles me in the head and reminds me how I don’t have the liberty to do that so why I would bother thinking about it. That’s when I realize he is right.”

 

“I don’t understand what you are trying to tell me, Baekhyun,” Hyukjae confessed honestly.

 

“I guess I am trying to say, sometimes regret follow us no matter what our choice is,” Baekhyun said. “But some regrets are greater than others… the fact that matter is which path gives us the least regret. You haven’t made a choice just yet Hyukjae… but some of your decisions can leave you regretting all your life.”

 

“You mean, if I reject Donghae’s mark right now, he won’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter