ζ - Chapter 17 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 17

 

An unreasonably large oak table sat in the middle of a grand chamber. The table’s surface was covered by delicious eatables. Donghae, who sat at head table, gestured for his guest- aka the Guardians- to start the breakfast. In due time, the table was filled with the member of Grey Canines as well. The only missing people were Kai, Sehun and the recent guests Donghae was expecting.

 

“Sungmin sent me words last night that they would be here by dawn,” Donghae mumbled under his breath, glancing at the window that poured the bright sun rays through it. “I wonder if everything is alright. Minhyuk any idea?”

 

Minhyuk, who was spooning the warm bowl of oatmeal, gave a heavy sigh at the interruption, much to Donghae’s amusement. “In... five… four… three… two… and on-”

 

Abruptly, the door of dining chamber was thrown open and there stood none other than the infamous Magic Maniacs. Sungmin and Saeun at front with Amber, Henry and Fiona bringing up the rare. Donghae beamed to see Saeun’s dark scowl as she gave a look to Ara, who pretended to be more immerse in enjoying the apple she was devouring rather than to turn and welcome the new comers.

 

“I thought I smelled something rotten,” Saeun sneered as a greeting, earning a disdain look from her husband.

 

“Should have bathed before coming then,” Ara retorted calmly, finally turning her head to give a sickening sweet smile to her ‘favorite’ cousin. Saeun growled threateningly, only for Fiona to step up and shake her head at the elder Witch.

 

“Please come and have breakfast,” Donghae said merrily, beaming so widely that his face almost shone. He was glad to see the female Guardian and the best Witch of Wolvotaria breaking the ice on their own… he admits; he was worried how he would get both women to talk. The Magic Maniacs shared a verbal greeting with the others before they took the seats Donghae pointed at. Fiona hesitated for a moment before silently sitting down beside her twin sister Flare, who seemed to have frozen at the entry of her sisters while Henry- grinning a goofy smile- strutted toward beaming Jaehyun and Myungsoo.

 

“So what’s the latest update?” Sungmin queried Donghae, looking around at the table once before his gaze came to sit on the Silver Alpha.

 

“I was hoping you would tell me better,” Donghae said as a reply. “Any news from the inside?”

 

“No,” Saeun eagerly jumped in the conversation. “Chanyeol sent us words that Zeta has reached him, and that is it. Of course we were shocked at first but even on inquiry he won’t bulge and tell us anything else.”

 

“Chanyeol as in…?” Ara wondered out loud.

 

“The head of Half-Elves,” Sungmin enlightened the female Omicron. “We are special werewolves with magical powers, the whole Immortal Forest is based on the magic… we are somewhat connected but no, we are not welcomed in the Forest unless Chanyeol allows us.”

 

“Why is she here?” Saeun demanded, nose scrunched in disgust.

 

“She is fighting for Zeta’s freedom,” Donghae replied, eyes flashing with authority. “You are fighting for Zeta’s freedom… we all are fighting for Zeta’s freedom. Do I still need to answer why she is here, beside us?”

 

“Are you fighting for Zeta’s freedom, Lee Donghae?” Suddenly Saeun questioned, eyes blazed. “What if he rejects you?”

 

“I shall still protect him with my life,” Donghae promised in a loud and boastful voice, making every werewolf around the table to look at him intensely. “Hyukjae’s life and happiness is the priority for me.”

 

“Why is the Zeta so important?” Taeyong, the small built Gamma of Grey Canine, piped out, eyes a little troubled. “I mean, okay so Zeta holds supreme powers within him, but why so much fuss?”

 

“The history of Wolvotaria is tainted with the Zeta’s blood,” Minhyuk whispered in his soft voice. “There has never been a single Zeta to live even a whole year after becoming of age. Hyukjae is different… there is a will in him to live… I think, most of us are curious to know what would have happened if a Zeta was not seen as a mean of weapon only. Protecting the Zeta might not be our job, but protecting the Golden Alpha and his mate is our job… and currently, Lee Hyukjae is marked by our Silver Alpha, thus he is our priority.”

 

A wave of murmur travel along the people around the senior Omicron, some looking at him in astonishment and some in admiration, even Donghae was render speechless to learn that his best friend thought so deeply on the matter. In reality, Donghae never stopped to wonder that all those innocent people, who would be laying their lives in the war, deserved to know the truth behind their sacrifice.

 

Donghae cleared his throat, earning the attention he required. Talking a deep breath, Donghae first time in his life leashed a secret from within. He had always been a self-indulged person, keeping his thoughts to himself at best. But he knew the others deserved to know a little bit of shocking news Donghae had received just last night. Carefully molding his words here and there, Donghae enlightened the room at large about the prophecy that was made nearly twenty two years ago, emitting the fact that the origin of prophecy lies on his birthday.

 

“Zeta is important for our world,” Donghae mumbled after narrating what he learned not even twenty four hours ago, looking in each person’s eyes to convey his sincerity. “Lee Hyukjae, the Zeta of twenty first century, is our only hope to bring change in Wolvotaria.”

 

A blanket of silence descended upon them, each individual emerged in their own thoughts.

 

“Yet we sit here while Hyukjae is all alone in the Immortal Forest,” Ara exhaled loudly, carding her fingers through her hairs in a helpless manner, making the rather quiet Jaehyun to look at her in slight worry. “I wish things had been clearer before Hyukjae came back from Planet Earth.”

 

“Well, honey, you only got your meddling boyfriend to blame for that,” Saeun rolled her eyes in exaggerated manner. “If not for him, I would have hidden Hyukjae on Planet Earth, away from those bastard Noble’s slaves.”

 

“Trust me, I blame Kyuhyun for a lot of things already,” Ara said with a chuckle. “He can be a stubborn idiot at several occasions… I am aware of that.”

 

“Oh,” Saeun looked a little taken aback at the frankness Ara showed toward her. She glanced at the amuse smile sitting on Sungmin’s face before saying. “But don’t worry, if there is one thing I am sure of its Hyukjae’s safety in the Immortal Forest. The Elves don’t play favoritism… they would never let harm from Nobles come toward Hyukjae, if nothing more.”

 

“Nobody knows about Hyukjae going to Immortal Forest except us,” Ara explained lightly.

 

“How is that possible?” Sungmin asked in surprise.

 

“Ara switched her form with Hyukjae,” Minhyuk was the one to explain further. “The Guardians and Nobles think we have the Zeta captured here in Castle, about to be forced into submission by Donghae.”

 

“That’s not what we heard,” Sungmin frowned. “Weirdly so it was something about Sehun being abducted. I mean, the moment we entered and found Ara, Myungsoo and Jaehyun here we were confused because the one we heard about isn’t even here… I think we have a lot to catch up.”

 

“Sehun is here,” Donghae confirmed gravely. “No idea why he and Kai didn’t came down here yet-”

 

“Oh you know,” Riet, the petite Iota wriggled her eyebrows before snickering. “Must be tired after last night.”

 

Unexpectedly, it was Minhyuk who snorted loudly before saying, “Funny you should say that because last night I was in the mood for some live .”

 

A hush silence engulfed the originally rather noisy place before all hell broke loose.

 

“Oh hell no!!” Eberwolf shouted in excitement. “Kang Minhyuk, you did not see into Kai’s room last night!”

 

“You bet I did,” Minhyuk replied coolly and suddenly he was surrounded by eager and rather interested werewolves, which Donghae was shocked to find not only consisted of Grey Canines members- who were known to be a bunch of erts anyways- but very excited Myungsoo, Jaehyun and Henry as well. Even Ara had her whole attention on Minhyuk albeit the fact that her face supported an appalled look. “I have never been so in my life.”

 

While the rest of the younger werewolves snigger at the hinting words, the door of the dining chamber opened once more and surprisingly, a slightly smiling Sehun entered with a darkly glowering Kai behind him. A look at Kai’s face, which supported a deep purple bruise, and Silvio and Yuta howler a wolf whistle…

 

“Rough night?” Rudy gave a suggested wink, making Sehun and Kai to pause and look around in bafflement.

 

“Come on Minhyuk, tell us what happened?” Jaehyun whined like a kid, shining eyes looking at Sehun in mischief. “I am a fanatic fan of Sekai drama.”

 

“Okay so that’s how it went,” Minhyuk cleared his throat importantly. “So Kai hovered over him before saying- and I quote- ‘I am gonna taint your little celibacy vows’ as he neared him.” The whole audience in a dramatic breath… Sehun still hovered around them in confusion while Kai, who had connected the dots, looked near to kill Minhyuk. “Then the most epic scene happened… Sehun gritted his teeth and kicked him on the face, like BAAM!”

 

“Oh my,” Sehun exhaled shakily when he finally realized what was happening. He quickly went to sit beside Ara, glaring at the amuse look she tossed him.

 

“Sehun I was really impressed at that kick, though,” Minhyuk said, turning toward the beet red Kappa while the rest of their company laughed loudly. “I never knew Kapa can be so feisty.”

 

“But I bet you knew Beta’s can be really murderous,” Kai growled while advancing toward the Omicron. “How could you look into my room?”

 

“I was bored,” Minhyuk shrugged nonchalantly. “Always watching Noble’s current status can be rather stressful… I just wanted to relieve myself.”

 

Kai was left thunderstruck for a moment, he stood clutching and unclutching his hands before he turned around to go and sit beside Donghae. It was almost like stream was rising from his head, considering how angry he was at his privacy being shaken like that. He had always known Minhyuk was a ert but seriously to go to this extent?

 

“You know,” Saeun leaned in toward her fuming cousin and whispered in a soft voice, which was heard loud and clear by everyone present in the room because all younger werewolves had gone rather soundless after watching Kai’s enraged figure… they didn’t wanted to risk being killed at such young age. “A pinch of love portion can work wonders.”

 

“Nah,” Ara butted in the conversation readily. “I remember our mothers taught us about the love portion in the very start, and as I can recall; love portion doesn’t work on people that was already in love with you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter