ζ - Chapter 9 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 9

 

Even with a sneering and growling beast pawing his chest, Sehun’s mind was stuck on the fact that he had to save the Zeta somehow. With a lot of effort he turned his face to look for Hyukjae and found the Zeta in same position as him. Worried and panicking, since Kyuhyun had given him the responsibility over the Zeta, Sehun tried wildly writhing to get the Viogreoxath Forest’s beast off of him… but with no success.

 

“H-hyuk-” Sehun wheezed painfully, wincing when the brute on top of him growled threateningly and weighed down on him. His right leg scratched against the rough ground as he struggle to be freed.

 

Then Sehun watched, much to his horror, how Hyukjae was engulfed in a blue light capsule before disappearing altogether.

 

“Hyukjae!” Sehun shouted in reflex, his parched throat contracting painfully making him to cough. Thus it took him a moment to realize that the beast on top of him was not trying to crush him anymore. Surprised, Sehun noticed that all the wolf-spirits around them were distracted as they looked around to see where Hyukjae has gone to. Taking advantage of beast's distracted state Sehun quickly and quietly slipped out from under the wolf and rushed to get Jaehyun out of another wolf-spirits brutal hold, which unfortunately earned them the attention of all the beasts.

 

Sehun and Jaehyun stood back to back, panting harshly, looking around and calculating their options.

 

“Our human form is useless against them,” Jaehyun said, after gaining his breath back and looking at the beast slowly advancing toward them.

 

“Then lets change to our wolf-form and-” Sehun started muttering back to his younger companion but before he could complete his plan, a loud howl echoed around the otherwise silent forest and just a second later, a big shiny black fur werewolf pounced over the wolf-spirits, out of nowhere.

 

The gigantic werewolf yapped at the misty wolf-spirits with its strong jaws. It didn’t take long before the misty-wolves bust in thin air leaving a trail of fogginess behind them. Sehun and Jaehyun could only sigh in relief before the black fur werewolf turned toward them. With a few bone cracking sounds, a smirking Kai stood in place of the gigantic wolf.

 

“Prince Kai to the rescue,” Kai joked, striding toward a slightly heaving Sehun. “Are you alright Princess?”

 

Sehun snorts in disbelief before hissing, “I told you to stop calling me that.”

 

“Yes please spare me your bedroom nicknames,” Jaehyun injected while pouring a little water, from his water bottle, on his bleeding elbow and winced at the sting.

 

“Okay jokes aside,” Kai started after chuckling at Jaehyun’s joke and Sehun’s fisted hands. “Would you like to tell me what you two are doing in Viogreoxath Forest, especially when the sun is about to go down, huh?”

 

“Good question, but first you tell us how did you knew we were here and about to be killed by those things?” Jaehyun asked, eyes narrowing in suspicion.

 

“My mate was in trouble, of course I would come,” Kai mumbled, holding Sehun’s eyes with his own dark ones.

 

“Yeah right,” Sehun snorted. “You really think I didn’t notice you following us from earlier?”

 

“Oh was I caught?” Kai grinned sheepishly, eyes twinkling at the fact that Sehun was as aware of his presence as was Kai of Sehun’s. “I saw you passing through Wolli Market and got curious… ah which reminds me… correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t you had that skinny guy with you as well, the one you were training the other day?”

 

“You are wrong,” Sehun replies coolly, eyes neither blinking nor straying away to give away the fact that he was lying but the smile on Kai’s lips was enough to tell he was no fool.

 

“Don’t talk about other guys in front of Sehun, Kai, or else he would get jealous,” Jaehyun jumps in to distract the cunning leader of Grey Canines. But Kai was not feared as the most cunning Beta for nothing.

 

“It’s getting dark; if your work here is done then we should get out of this damn forest,” Kai suggested, looking around them in a frown as he sensed subtle movements from nearby. “Unless of course there is someone else you wish to search for.”

 

“It’s only Jaehyun and I, can’t you see?” Sehun snaps in irritation before he got off the tree he had been using as support, only to find his wounded leg giving away under his weight. But before his face could greet the ground a broad chest took its place with two warm hands stabling the Guardian.

 

“Looks like you need a little help, Princess,” Kai whispers before crouching down to sweep Sehun off of his feet and in his strong arms.

 

“What the-?” Sehun started, startled at Kai’s behavior. “Put me down dammit. I have feet, I can walk.”

 

“I know, but you will only slow us down, right Jaehyunnie?” Kai said before turning around to walk out of the Viogreoxath Forest.

 

“So true,” Came the positive response from Sehun’s fellow Guardian, making Sehun to whip his face around to see Jaehyun giving him two thumb ups and mouthing a ‘Just go with it’

 

Sehun groans loudly, but gives up knowing his severely wounded leg- which had met the sharp nails of the wolf-spirit as well- might take longer than necessary to heal up, and Kai carrying him out of this godforsaken Forest was much better option than limping on his own, knowing those beast could be back any time.

 

Sehun hates to admit it but Kai’s warm chest is alluring enough to get Sehun sleepy and the musky smell Kai always adorns is relaxing. Sehun did wonder if Hyukjae was alright. If he had found Vinz? But something about that Blueish hue around Hyukjae, before he disappeared, had been comforting… Sehun knew deep down that the Zeta was safe. He just wish he could return back to them safely as well. Sehun would tell Kyuhyun and Myungsoo to come back for the Zeta since he was in no position to do so right now, especially with Kai tagging along.

 

KAI!

 

Sehun’s eyes flew opened just to find Kai’s dark orbs peering down at him. Those intelligent eyes scanning Sehun’s green ones. Sehun shivered involuntarily, knowing Kai was not stupid enough to be unable to put two and two together… Kai must have some idea about the Zeta…

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

Kyuhyun gets out of steaming bathroom with his body wrapped in bathrobes and a fluffy white towel around his neck, humming slightly. The Kappa pauses for a second, finding his Omicron Mate sitting on their bed’s edge, legs crossed and a thoughtful look on her face.

 

“What’s troubling you now?” Kyuhyun inquires softly as he makes his way toward his beautiful mate, discarding the towel after drying his hairs with its aid. Ara smiles slightly, standing up to lean against her mate, hands naturally finding its way to the mark on Kyuhyun’s snow white neck… their mark of unity.

 

“Lots of things,” Ara confesses, tracing the mark with her finger, relishing in the fact that Kyuhyun still shivers at her touch.

 

“Name one,” Kyuhyun urges.

 

“Jaejoong,” Ara answers honestly, eyes climbing up to meet with Kyuhyun’s slightly widen ones. “Hyukjae…”

 

“When will you trust Jaejoong?” Kyuhyun asked in a whisper, eyes filling with a hint of disappointment. “He is our leader-”

 

“Can’t you see what he is doing to Hyukjae?” Ara argues back, voice raising a little.

 

“Shush, he will hear you,” Kyuhyun reminds his mate, putting a finger to his plush lips.

 

“He won’t since he left for his so-called meeting just half an hour ago,” Ara tells him, rolling her eyes in annoyance. Kyuhyun heaves a sigh and flops down on the bed, pulling Ara to sit on his lap while facing him.

 

“He is not a bad guy and he must have a reason for involving Siwon.”

 

“A reason he doesn’t wish to share with us? This is not how a team should work, Kyu.”

 

“I know, I know… Jaejoong can be a little-”

 

“He acts possessive of Hyukjae like he owns him,” Ara angrily cuts off the second in command Guardian. “Hyukjae is not a toy to be played with, he had emotions and thoughts that need to be consider.”

 

“We do consider them,” Kyuhyun said gently. “Trust me, if Hyukjae doesn’t wish for Jaejoong to be his mate then he won’t.”

 

“That’s what you are saying or even rest of the Guardians would say… but what about Jaejoong?” Ara demanded, leaving Kyuhyun speechless.

 

“I am sure he would…” Kyuhyun trails off, not sure if he had any right to make false promised in place of Jaejoong.

 

“I am worried for Hyukjae, I have this feeling that something bad is gonna happened to him,” Ara mumbles somberly, taking Kyuhyun by surprise since his mate has never been one to show her feelings like this. “I really like Hyukjae.”

 

“Like?” Kyuhyun raise a brow. “Should I be jealous?”

 

This makes Ara chuckle a little before shaking her head, “That boy is too innocent… too naïve. I have seen how he tries to act like he is okay with all of this sudden change and burden, but underneath that entire bravo is a young boy who had been hearing about death from here and there for last five years. He is willing to trust us blindly… and I am worried that he would be betrayed by us in the end.”

 

“Why would you say that, Ara?” Kyuhyun frowns in confusion, eyeing Ara’s flush face as she heaves deeply.

 

“I… I am just worried for him…” The Omicron mutters finally, leaning her head against Kyuhyun’s shoulder. Kyuhyun doesn’t say anything but pats Ara’s back in a loving manner, until he is sure she had calm down. Slowly and carefully, Kyuhyun reaches for her chin and tilt her head enough so his lips can meet hers. The kiss is gentle and loving, slow paced with comfortable pressure until Ara pushes at Kyuhyun’s shoulder, making him to fall back on the mattress. Like a predator, she glides over him to catch his lips once more, deepening the kiss with every passing second.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

Hyukjae shifts in his seat, awkwardness oozing out of his stance as he looks around himself… taking in the warm and cozy hut walls before bringing his eyes back to the owner of the said homey hut. The well aging man bends over a boiling pot, throwing in this and that herb before stirring diligently. Hyukjae waits patiently, or at least he tries to wait patiently, for when the man would finally pay him any attention.

 

From the moment Aiden has muttered something in ear of the old man- who Hyukjae had assumed to be Vinz, since there was no one present here beside him- and the old man has raised an eye to give a side glance to Hyukjae before asking Aiden t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter