ζ - Chapter 13 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: As a sorry for updating so late, I present you 6000 words worth updates. Enjoy!!

Also check out my new one-shot Jikook fanfic;   Inspector Jungkook

 

 

CHAPTER 13

 

A loud growl, accompanied by the sound of a glass smashing into tiny pieces, echoed around the huge Hall. The werewolf, lashing out at his workers, kept growling and pacing about the room in a restless manner. A vein popping in his forehead seemed near to burst.

 

“How could you miss that chance?” The tall man demanded, stopping in his tract and growling at the werewolves standing before him, with their heads down. “It was a perfect opportunity and yet, you let it slip out of our hands? I clearly said to go to the Mansion and abduct the Zeta IF he doesn’t show up, didn’t I?”

 

“B-but… Alpha… y-you said not to a-act on plan B until y-you give an okay signal-” The ostensible leader of small group, the youngest Noble had founded a few years back for his personal errands, stuttered, keeping his head low. The room went deadly silent. Then the poor guy jumped when the sound of another painting being ripped and thrown at the window- which glass was still enduring- shattered the stillness of the room.

 

“That filthy, slimy Lee Donghae, the so-called Silver Alpha, got his hands on the Zeta before I could!” Siwon roared, making his servant to stop breathing as they cowered in fear. “And now you are telling me it’s my fault because I forgot to give the go signal for plan B, is it?”

 

“W-what… no, no, sire… I-I could never… not y-you…”

 

“SILENCE!” Siwon shouted, earning himself a noiseless Hall, as the youngest Noble turned to look outside through the window he had just broken. “What is the condition at the Mansion? What are Guardian’s doing to save the Zeta, Giko?”

 

A man standing in a corner jerked out of his deep thoughts and turned to answer his leader, “Sire, we are not so sure since the Guardian’s has increased their protection around their Mansion, going as far as using help from Magic Maniacs for invisibility charms and such…”

 

Siwon swirled around to coldly stare at his informant.

 

“This is not the answer I wish to hear, Giko, and you know that,” Siwon whispered in a noxiously cold tone, staring at his informant who gulped but otherwise kept his mouth shut. “Langhoom?”

 

“Yes, my Lord?” Another servant walked up to adequately bow and stand in front of the seething Noble.

 

“Find a way to contact, Jaejoong,” Siwon said, carefully choosing his words. “Tell him he would be given anything and everything in order to save the Zeta… manpower, Omicron powers, weapons… anything… even a war, if that’s what it takes to bring Hyukjae back.”

 

“Yes, my King,” The servant mumbled before swirling around the space he was standing at, then in a blink of an eye the man was gone.

 

“Giko, get our forces ready,” Siwon ordered, eyes slanting as a small smirk climbed on his otherwise stiff lips. “The time is here… we are gonna get back what actually belongs to us…”

 

The servants bowed in agreement before they started to leave the Hall- one by one- with Siwon still standing by the window, gazing at the acres and acres of green land their family owns since generations. Wondering what Donghae could be doing to the Zeta right at that moment? Hoping and wildly praying, the pathetic boy would not have claimed the Zeta right away. Even if Siwon felt nothing but disgusted to imagine being mated with Hyukjae but desperate times call for desperate measurements… if mating with that ugly face Zeta would get him what he desired… then so be it…

 

Siwon was willing to mark Hyukjae as soon as he had removed that useless mark from his neck… and in all honesty, the youngest Noble knew just the way to get rid of that mark. The only reason he didn’t disclosed the matter in front of Jaejoong was because he knew what was going through the veiled mind of Guardian’s leader. Siwon could see right through that pretty face… Jaejoong wanted the Zeta for himself… he wanted the whole power for himself… that jerk!

 

Jaejoong could fool anyone with his ‘I am a sweet Omicron’ act all he wants… but Siwon knew the truth… he knew exactly what Jaejoong was and what he was planning. But Siwon would be damn to even consider helping that two face manipulator. Compared to Jaejoong, Siwon was sure Hyukjae would be better off with him…

 

Suddenly, Siwon’s hands balled into tight fists and his teeth gritted in pure rage, because now Jaejoong was not the only competitor Siwon has… Donghae has also joined the race… uninvited…

 

And Donghae was clearly a better manipulator than Jaejoong… a smooth talker… a charmer…

 

“What would he be saying to Hyukjae, right now?” Siwon muttered out loud.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

“When did you all come back?” Donghae demanded as soon as he burst through the iron door of the room Grey Canine’s use as their meeting and relaxing domicile, in other words, the ‘office’ of Grey Canines- something that Kai likes to call. “I have been worried sick, waiting for you lot while roaming the grounds like a wild beast and then Haymich walks up saying you got back ages ago!”

 

Donghae moved his glare, while boiling in anger, to each and every member of Grey Canine- every member handpicked by Donghae because he knew he could trust them all, after he got rid of the one’s his father had at his service- before his deadly gaze came to stand on his step-brother, who laid on the couch, luxuriously sipping through a can of beer.

 

“And hello to you, as well,” Kai replied, voice low yet teasing, making Donghae to fist his hands.

 

“What happened?” Donghae asked after a moment of silence. “Did the mission worked?” The Silver Alpha turned to look at his best friend, Minhyuk, and raised a questioning brow at him when the latter silently gestured him to ask that question to Kai only. “Were you able to get the Zeta or not?”

 

“Of course we were,” Kai cried in a dignified manner, like he felt almost insulted at the lack of trust Donghae had in his group’s abilities.

 

“Then where is he?” Donghae muttered, taking a cautious step toward his brother to take a better look at his step brother’s passive expressions.

 

“Wherever he is…” Kai started, finally turning his face to look straight in Donghae’s anticipating eyes. “He is safe and sound so you need not be worried.”

 

“What the hell, Kai?!” Donghae shouted, brows pulling in a muddled frown. “Stop playing games with me and tell me where are you keeping the Zeta?”

 

Kai sighed before heaving himself in a sitting position. Gulping the beer in the can, in one go, he tossed it in the bin, in one corner of the room, before standing up. His taller figure towered over his elder brother. Donghae gazed at him curiously, waiting to see what he might do but to his great astonishment, he only gestured the other members of Grey Canine to leave. Silently, one by one, they started to rush out of the room, even Minhyuk, who dare not meet Donghae’s eyes.

 

“What is going on?” Donghae muttered under his breath.

 

“We had a deal,” Kai started with voice low and deep. “I get you the Zeta if you get me Sehun.”

 

“Kai what are you talking about?” Donghae demanded in bewilderment. “I thought you were joking at that time because you don’t need me to get Sehun, you can do-”

 

“I won’t abduct him,” Kai shouted, eyes blazing with fire. “Sehun already hates me for what I have become… for working under you. Now I have gone and abducted the Zeta, all the more reasons for him to hate me.”

 

Donghae stood rooted to his spot, a hint of hurt crossing his features before he said, “If… if being with me has done you no good then why are you still here? You can leave with your free will, if you like… I never threatened you to remain by my side-”

 

“Because I trust you,” Kai said, cutting off Donghae’s emotionless monologue. “I still trust you even if you don’t think the same way about me.”

 

“Kai-” Donghae started to protest but Kai raised his hand to stop him.

 

“What do you want with the Zeta, Donghae?” Kai asked seriously, closely watching the sudden paleness Donghae’s feature experienced at that moment. The Silver Alpha opened and closed his mouth several time, without a single word slipping pass his lips. “Why are you so hung up with this Zeta? You have no plans of killing him like the Golden Alpha wants, do you?”

 

“It’s… it’s just…” Donghae mumbled, eyes roaming around restlessly.

 

“I knew everything from the start, you know?” Kai admitted. “But I had hoped you would open up on your own… I kept hoping and wishing…”

 

“What do you mean?” Donghae’s head snapped up with the speed of lightning.

 

“All those mornings when you would rush off, claiming of going to Vinz, did you really think no one would know the truth?” Kai asked with a bitter chuckle whereas Donghae could only wait with batted breath. “I knew you have been sneaking to go and find Vinz since we were ten, Hae. I knew you were secretly taking training to be the Silver Alpha, from him… you would always sneak out in the dead of the night, returning before the sunrise. I knew all along… and so did the Golden Alpha.”

 

“Father knew?” Donghae snapped out of his shocked stupor at his younger brother’s last words, earning a nod from latter. “But… but why…?”

 

Donghae need not elaborate his question for Kai to understand him. Thus letting out a soft laugh, Kai made Donghae sit on the couch, while taking a seat beside him.

 

“I had no intention of becoming the Silver Alpha to begin with,” Kai started. “I know I was as much Father’s son as you, but my goal in life has been to enjoy it, not waste it like you, training all day long… no offense.” The beta muttered as an afterthought and gained himself a smile from Donghae. “In short, being Silver Alpha was not something I was pinning after. So naturally, I was glad to find that the Four Moons has chosen you as the Prince. Then Father declared you should get extensive training from Vinz… something I, as well Father, knew you were already doing. But imagine my surprise when I saw you sneaking out in the dead of the night as usual and returning before morning… and then going as far as shouting how you were heading to your special classes with Vinz, early in the morning. I knew you were up to something…”

 

“You were always the observant one,” Donghae mumbled, smiling fondly at his younger brother. “Even during our homeschooling sessions, you would always be goofing around but once Father asked us what we learned that day, you would narrate it in one go… I was envies of your intelligent brains.”

 

“Homeschooling sessions… hmm,” Kai mused, eyes twinkling. “That’s exactly what I was getting at.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I followed you one morning to see whether you were really going to Vinz for another training session or were just bluffing.”

 

Donghae’s face drained of all blood as he gasped, “You didn’t!”

 

Kai ignored other’s wide eyes and continued, “Now my surprise was converted into shock- or more like plain horror- to see you strut inside Wolveemo’s gigantic building.” Kai threw another smile in his brother’s direction. “I mean a school?! Of all the places in the whole Wolvotaria you could have sneak to, you choose a plain boring school… when our private tutor has taught us anything and everything there was to study… I mean, Mr. Jung had a degree from Wolvotarian University as well as an extensive degree from some famous Earth University, didn’t he?”

 

“Kai…” Donghae bemoaned miserably.

 

“I admit; it took me three straight days to find out the actual reason why you would enroll yourself in a School- Lord! I still have hard time believing it- under the name of ‘Aiden’?! You could have come up with a cooler name, but no,” Kai teased, earning a deadly glare from other. “Anyways, everything was getting annoying as hell, what with Father breathing down my neck to ask for updates-”

 

“You told Father?!” Donghae shrieked in horror.

 

“Of course not,” Kai waved away a dismissive hand. “I only told him you were merely going to an house to have some fun.”

 

“In the Morning?!” Donghae asked in disbelief but the Beta only shrugged his shoulders in a nonchalant manner.

 

“Coming back to the original point,” Kai shouted to distract Donghae from his murderess thoughts. “I knew everything from the start and hoped you would have told me yourself… you know, over the time when we bonded as brothers.”

 

“It’s not that I don’t trust you, Kai,” Donghae said, looking a bit forlorn. “If I am being honest, there are a few things that make me confuse and I thought that would only clear when I meet the Zeta because even Vinz refuses to tell me anything.”

 

A silence engulfed the pair of brothers, each drowning in their own thoughts.

 

“So, I can’t have the Zeta unless you get Sehun?” Donghae asked, hoping to hear negation of his words but was disappointed to see Kai nodding whole heartedly.

 

“I won’t let you mate unless my mate is in an arm length of me,” Kai declared stubbornly.

 

“That’s unfair,” Donghae groaned but soon admitted his defeat. “So, tell me again, why does Sehun hates you so much…? I mean, weren’t you two quite good friends a few years back?”

 

“We were,” Kai admitted. “But everything went downhill because of Seth and you.”

 

“Seth?” Donghae asked curiously before he went still as Kai’s next words sank in. “Me? Now what did I do?”

 

“Actually Sehun and I had another friend, Seth, maybe you won’t know him but his father was member of previous Grey Canines.” Donghae frowned, wondering where Kai was heading with this story. “It’s only my guess, but when Father ordered them to find and kill the Zeta, Seth might have over heard his father or something. But the worst part was, they took your name.”

 

“My name?”

 

“Yeah, something about the Silver Alpha giving the order,” Kai elaborated, earning a disbelieved look from his elder brother. “Obviously, neither Sehun nor Seth had any idea about me being related to you or father.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter