ζ - Chapter 20 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Character Death Ahead (It wasn't suppose to happen but it happen >_<)

CHAPTER 20

 

The merry laughter of few whelps playing on the street could be heard inside the almost empty house. A tall young girl stood against the dirty window, watching the children playing their fun games, in middle of the lane while their mothers stood in a circle whispering with urgency lacing their tones.

 

“… the Nobles are striking, I heard,” One women, an Omega by the stance of her gestures, said in a hush voice, ballooned eyes sweeping over her company of other Omegas and Sigma.

 

“Looks like the down fall of Lee’s is around the corner,” Another whispered, gloat apparent in her expressions. “That Golden Alpha was never up to be the King anyways… that man never bothers with Wolvotarian, you know.”

 

“Neither did the Nobles,” Another retorted with her nose scrunched in disgust. “My Omega grandmother used to say, Omega and Sigma were treated in the worse way possible during the Noble’s rule. It was only with Lee’s reign that we were given a few rights.”

 

“True,” One of the Sigma nodded somberly. “Over Nobles I would always choose the Lees… I heard the new Prince is a kind soul. Before he was introduced to the Wolvotaria, the lad used to roam the markets of our city, talking and mingling with common werewolves, my husband told me about it. Said; he himself had the chance to talk with the lad and he was ever so polite.”

 

“I reckon, the time would only prove that,” The first women mused thoughtfully. “The Nobles are rather vicious when it comes to fights, aren’t they?”

 

“However-”

 

“Sora, where are you?” A loud sound from the floor above jolted the tall girl, Lee Sora, a rather feisty and young Iota. With a jerk, Sora found her concentration- she had over the women talking outside- break. She turned around just in time to find her mother entering the small kitchen. “I thought you were preparing the snack. Your father is complaining about fatigue, even if he only settled the furniture for one room… but I guess he is getting old.”

 

Sora watched her mother ranting away as she moved about the small kitchen, putting a kettle on the fire and searching the still unpacked cartons on the shelf for some teabags.

 

“I told him not to over work because in the end I would have to massage his aging limbs,” The elder woman shook her head as she kept saying. “I mean, Hyukjae would come back in a few days anyways. We should wait for him since my young powerful boy would have the furniture settle in no time.”

 

“Mother,” Sora finally broke off the elder woman, hands fidgeting nervously. “I am worried for Hyukjae.”

 

The aging woman stopped short, turning around to face the forlorn expressions on her daughter’s face. Soon her own face dropped with sadness as she muttered, “But Saeun said, that our Hyukjae would soon be returning home.”

 

“It’s been more than a month now,” Sora’s voice shook badly as she gulped the lump in . “It feels like the Guardians has kidnapped him or worst-”

 

“Don’t say it,” Her mother shouted, eyes bulging. “Saeun assured us, again and again, that she has her eyes on Hyukjae… she told us not to worry because Hyukjae is fine with the Guardians, they would protect him.”

 

“People are talking,” Sora whispered, the corner of her eyes prickling with tears. “If you hear them with concentration, you will hear things…”

 

“W-what things…?”

 

“The Royals and the Nobles are gonna fight,” Sora declared in a strong and steady voice, eyes burrowing holes in her mother’s slightly greying ones. “After one whole month, Saeun asked us to shift in a new house and decorate it according to our wishes… claiming Hyukjae would be returning back home. Yet, whole Magic Maniacs left their headquarter, the moment the Wolvotaria started buzzing about the war… a war in which even Guardians are heard to be involved??”

 

“What are you saying, Sora?” Her mother whispered anxiously.

 

“Just that… I am worried for Hyukjae…” Sora mumbled, again turning around to watch the setting sun through the dusty window glass… wondering, what the next day would hold… wondering, what news the dawn would bring.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

An aging man stood against the tall window of Golden Palace, gaining support from the window’s sill as his dull golden eyes roam over the vast grounds stretching in front of the Castle. The tiny figures he could see from this distance, made it hard for him to distinguish his own sons from the mass.

 

“He left,” The Golden Alpha whispered in his hoarse voice, not turning around to see his loyal servant's face, which was down casted in guilt. “Even when he knew I gave orders for his safety to be taken in account more than anything else… he left.”

 

“You know Prince Donghae,” Jiwque replied somberly. “Once he sets a mind to something, nothing can change his way of thinking… nothing can convert him from his path of right or wrong.”

 

“Yes, that’s precisely the charm of the Prince,” Lee Dongwook said with a smile gracing his dry lips. “He would make a fine king…”

 

“Yes, one day, he would make a King the Wolvotaria deserves,” Jiwque agreed readily.

 

“One day…?” The Kind mused while fighting the pain his left arm was feeling for some time now. He rubbed his arm in slow circular motion, hoping to release the tug and tension he felt in his muscles. “I hope that day arrives soon enough…”

 

“My King,” Jiwque gasped in a scandalize tone, however the King was not interested to see what comfort his loyal servant would present him because right that moment, a wild and tall roaring fire lit out of blue from the grounds of the battle. Lee Dongwook watched with worry and confusion evident on his face… was it an Omicron of Nobles, who created the fire? Does that mean the war started?

 

The Fire blazed in a clear straight line… dividing the two rivals…

 

Yet Lee Dongwook, the Golden Alpha, the useless man the whole Wolvotaria sees him as, desperately hoped that his sons were alright…

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

An eerie hush consumed the entire arena. The mumbled whispers of ‘Zeta?’ ‘Did he say Zeta?’ ‘THE Zeta?’ reached Hyukjae’s ears from right and left. However, his sole attention was fixed on the pale complexion of Jaejoong. The leader of Guardian stood erect, eyes skipping over Hyukjae from head to toe in fear and surprise.

 

“Hyukjae!” Siwon’s loud voice boomed over the chaotic murmur of their present company. Several heads were jumping to get a better look at the Zeta. “Hyukjae, my love, my soul-”

 

Hyukjae sighed in an exaggerated manner, rolling his eyes toward Siwon’s tall figure in a rather sassy style. The Zeta first conveyed his disgust with his expressions- but the oblivious grinning Alpha was clearly not getting the signal- thus Hyukjae resolved to snap loudly, “Can you please shut up Siwon? I am in the middle of something.”

 

“Hyukjae, my love, what has Donghae done to you?” Siwon screamed in a pretended concern. “Hyukjae, whatever that jerk and liar had fed you, trust me, not a single word of it is true. It’s a specialty of Lee family, deluding the Zeta into mating them so they can rule Wolvotaria. Don’t fall for this wild beast’s trap, Hyukjae… you are better than this. You deserved to be love for who you are, not only for being a Zeta…”

 

“How touching,” Hyukjae mocked, making Siwon’s expression to darken. “But you are right Siwon… I do deserve better… someone better than you… better than Jaejoong…”

 

Siwon might be all talk and no bite, but he was no fool. It took one look at Siwon’s glare for Hyukjae to realize that he had said more than necessary, or at least Siwon had understood the underline meaning of the Zeta’s words. Siwon had lost, no matter what. Siwon would never be able to gain the Zeta, one way or another.

 

“What are you all waiting for?” Suddenly Siwon roared, eyes still fixed on Hyukjae as he gestured to his men, behind him. “Kill them… kill ’em all! These lowlife needs to learn the power of Nobles. Now Charge!”

 

Hyukjae smirked one more time before raising his dainty hand, and gracefully flickering his pointy finger in an invisible drawn line. Out of blue, stealing the shouts of surprise and cries of pain, roaring flame of fire erupted out of the hard ground, standing as a wall in front of enemy’s horde. Conveniently, for his own self, Hyukjae made sure to leave Siwon, Jaejoong and rest of the Guardians on the same side of the fire wall as the Zeta… trapping the two enemies, while the so-called ‘power’ they thought would back them up was left on the other side. It was almost amusing to watch the frozen fear on their enemies faces while Donghae’s men wore astonishment filled faces, along with a hint of smugness.

 

“If you really wish to show me the so-called ‘Power of Nobles’ then be the mighty Alpha you claim to be and fight me yourself, Siwon,” Hyukjae spat in a venom filled tone, his dagger glare fixed on Siwon’s suddenly pale face. “However…” Hyukjae muttered in somewhat composed manner before flickering his wrist once more and producing a ring of fire around the Alpha’s tall figure, earning a startled scream from him. “I shall deal with you afterwards… so keep your lips seal because I swear Siwon, keep talking and the ring of fire would keep getting smaller and smaller until it’s burns you to the core of your bones.”

 

Hyukjae’s threat stood heavy in the air, it seemed everyone had gone rigid and frozen in their places, especially Siwon, who stood erect, hands pressed over his own mouth and his wide eyes looking at him with fear. The Zeta turned his head to briefly glance at the Silver Alpha and his companions, standing behind him. Hyukjae repressed a smile, finding Donghae and his friends watching him with hinged jaws… obviously, it’s not every day you see such a powerful Zeta standing before your eyes. It seemed only the Guardians had the satisfying and pride look to dart toward Hyukjae.

 

Delicately swirling around, Hyukjae’s eyes once more found themselves standing on Jaejoong, who was having a hard time disguising his own fear that sheen on his half visible face. It was obvious; Jaejoong knew what future awaits him.

 

“We meet again, Kim Jae Joong,” Hyukjae muttered each word with fierce loath. “But weirdly enough… this time around we are facing each other… because last time- if I remember correctly- you had my mere sixteen year old self trapped against your chest while you forced your mark on me… right?”

 

A loud collective intake of breath echoed around him, yet Hyukjae couldn’t afford to tear his eyes away from Jaejoong’s stone face. He was enjoying the whirlpool of emotions that seemed to be passing over the Guardian leader’s face, while the latter desperately tried to keep his thoughts hidden… conceal… like he always do. But not this time, Hyukjae mused to himself.

 

“What?” Kyuhyun’s small and full of betrayal tone tore the stillness around them, as the second in command staggered toward the leader, staring at him in plain horror. “Forced mark on Hyukjae?”

 

“Kyuhyun, you can’t possibly-” Jaejoong’s smile looked plastic, too fake to be regarded with any interest.

 

“You watched me for days,” Hyukjae shouted in pure rage. “Now, I remember everything… I felt you… I knew someone was always burrowing their eyes on me. I was on the edge for a week before you found me in that dark alley.”

 

Kyuhyun stood heaving, glaring at Jaejoong- the man he blindly trusted and followed. Once it became obvious that Jaejoong was avoiding Kyuhyun’s searching gaze, the second in command guardian took hold of his mate, Ara, hand and went to stand beside Sehun and Myungsoo… something, Jaejoong’s sharp eyes noticed as well. Mutely, one by one all guardians started walking away from their leader, and flanked around the Zeta in a protective stance.

 

“What the-?” Jaejoong sneered in disbelief, staring at the werewolves he had lead and taught the basic about being a guardian to. “How can you all leave me like this? After all we have been through? I am your leader!”

 

“We all are here for the Zeta, not you, Jae,” Ara retorted back with an equal sneer.

 

“Hyukjae, whatever could you mean by all this drama?” Jaejoong started, making his voice shrill and sweet but the Zeta was done playing, he was done taking everyone’s . “Surely, you are under some wrong impression… I have no idea what you are talking about.”

 

“Is that so?” Suddenly, Donghae said, taking a couple of steps forward in order to stand beside Hyukjae. “Then take off the veil on your face… because the wolf who attacked Hyukjae that night, received deep gushes on his cheek from me. Thus makes me wonder why you must hide your face.”

 

“I have a swear case of eczema on my face, that is the only reason,” Jaejoong spat in indignation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter