History

Agency

Jaejoong sat in bed with his laptop by him, wide awake. There was no news from headquarters about boss which worried all the teams. Everyone had headed home around 1:30 AM. Taemin didn't know why boss had told him to warn him when it was 9:00 AM and when he followed boss to his car he couldn't get any actual answers. For now he disappeared.

Reaching for his binoculars Jaejoong checked on the rooms. Quiet. Helooked at his laptop screen and saw Hyun Jae tangled in the bed sheets, asleep. Hyun Joong was still on the couch sleeping soundly.

It could have been me, the thought raced through his head, We had been on several missions together. Some as couples, some on opposite sides of a mission.....then there was that night. I know it wasn't real. But he was imagining it was.

He opened a folder on the desktop and selected a video from an old mission. In the video he saw a man walk into their room, about to lift prints when he heard footsteps nearing. Hyun Jae and Jaejoong stumbled into the room shortly after the man hid. Jaejoong's hands were holding her face and her hands were in his hair and on his back. He closed his eyes remembering the feel of her lips in that moment. She was driving him crazy. A stabbing feeling dug through his chest. He missed that kiss, being so close to her without wondering what it would be like to be together.

Then, he heard the man in the video move in the closet as they walked to the bed. Jaejoong opened his eyes and saw himself eyeing the closet secretly and grab Hyun Jae away from it. He hadn't known who it was or what they wanted until it was too late.

She untied her hair as he wrapped his arms around her. She was so warm. He kissed her neck and she quickly whirled around to look him in the eyes. Jaejoong zoomed in. Her lips were moving. She was telling him that they couldn't, but he stopped her before she mentioned the cameras. He kissed her lips and stepped back. She looked confused, and lowered her head. Then, he took off his jacket. He held her hands to his heart and traced his nose over her jaw. She smelled sweet.

"Jaejoong are you sleeping soon?" Yunho asked and walked into the bedroom. Yoochun was already asleep.

"Soon." Jaejoong switched back to the current feed, heart was racing hoping Yunho didn't see what he was doing.

He looked at the tab names. "Watching it again? You don't have to keep going over it. There's no way to change what happened." Yunho patted his back.

"I know.....I'm just...I-" He couldn't think of what to tell his friend.

"Wish you were there with her again." He smiled kindly. "I'll leave you alone then, but go to sleep when you're done. We have to be fully alert now." Yunho left the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

He opened the old feed again. Her hands were on his back and he saw himself kissing her neck, running his hand over her palm before linking fingers with hers. She kissed his hand as well. Jaejoong saw himself press closer to her. She was beautiful. When he started to run his other hand over the side of her body she looked away covering her face with her hair. That drove him insane. He pressed closer, even though he knew he couldn't have her. It wasn't fair. He understood the rules perfectly well when on a mission like that, but he was wishing it was real.

Then it happened. It was so fast. The man ran out of hiding and into a position where he had a clear shot at her. She was shocked and reacted a bit too slow. Jaejoong shielded her and the first shot  grazed his arm and traveled through the mattress. Jaejoong had left his daggers in his jacket, but it was on the floor and that would've left her open, so he threw the pillow at the man's face to obscure his vision but he fired blindly and got her...in the chest.

He almost killed her and then it was because of him that Hyun Joong hated her. He never forgave her and never wanted to listen to her excuse...at least she was fine. The bullet had missed her heart, luckily. It was months before she left the hospital and even then Leeteuk didn't give her any work outside of headquarters. He assigned Jaejoong as her body guard, of course she didn't know. She still didn't know. He was so happy being close to her more often, this was the second mission where boss allowed her to work on the field. It worried him.

There were noises coming from the room. Jaejoong checked the feed of the suspect's room. Nothing. He switched to Hyun Jae's feed. She was tossing and turning in bed. "Jaejoong-ah~" she sighed. Her fingers dug into her pillow. He stared at the screen, dumbfounded. What was going on? She must be dreaming. Of me...that would make her call my name. He couldn't believe it. I should be there now. Holding her as she sleeps and kissing her awake, he told himself.

Hyun Joong woke up suddenly and fell off the couch. Then, he grudgingly stood up, taking a look at the clock and started to walk towards the kitchen.

"Oppa," Hyun Jae whispered, still asleep.

Hyun Joong froze for a second and forgot that he wasn't in South Korea anymore. "Bwo?" He looked over his shoulder at her and noticed she was mumbling. He walked to the bed and glared down at her. "Bwo?" He was louder this time.

"Oppa~" It was then Jaejoong and realized something was wrong. She was sweating and her brows were scrunched together. "Oppa stop."

"Stop what?" Hyun Joong grinded his teeth and waited. When she turned over he started to walk away.

"Come back." She was breathing roughly. Hyun Joong froze again. He stared at her with his jaw dropped. "Please." He walked to the bed and wiped the sweat off her forehead with the blanket.

Her breathing became worse. Tears were flowing down her cheeks. He saw Hyun Joong panic. "Yah, Hyun Jae, wake up. Wake up!" He was shaking her, but she wouldn't open her eyes. She screamed as he tapped her face and shook her again. "Wake up!"

She jumped up with her hand on his chest ready to push him out of her way. She was still crying and leaned in to hug him. Her sorrowful face was buried in the crease of his neck while she wrapped her arms around him.

"B-bwo-I mean, what? What is it?"

"Please don't let me go to bed alone," she was panting.

"I..I won't." Hyun Joong held her and rocked her back and forth, his cold exterior melting temporarily. Her sweating stopped inducing the shivers. "You should get under the blankets."

He helped her get covered and when he was about to leave she grabbed his hand. "You said you wouldn't leave."

"I'm going to put sweatpants on." He had put on boxers after he'd fallen off the couch, but was still otherwise unclothed. She fell back onto the pillow and closed her eyes until he returned to her. He lay down on the edge...Jaejoong's heart stopped. She leaned over and hugged his back.

"What are you doing?" Hyun Joong firmly questioned her.

"Jaejoong always hugged me back to sleep after..." Her voice trailed off.

"After your injury." He steered clear of mentioning his incident with her. Jaejoong, on the other hand, was calmed down in his room. Hyun Joong hated her, he wouldn't say or do anything, as far as Jaejoong thought.

"Yea." She let go of him because his eyes were burning into her. She flipped over and hugged her pillow instead. Hyun Joong sighed and pulled her close to him, not liking close contact, but knowing she needed it. As Jaejoong watched this he felt his eyes burn. Their knees bent into each other's and his chin rested on her head. He wrapped his arms around her slowly above the blankets.

Jaejoong's eyes were getting watery. She was having a nightmare about that day, he knew it, but what was it this time? She talked in her sleep often, a whole conversation could be had with her, but nightmares were different. He tried to put together what she had said and what had happened. He decided he would figure it out later, right now it was almost morning and he hadn't even slept, yet. He checked the feed, just hugging, so he closed it and lay in bed trying to find a way to actually fall asleep.

In a different location another man caught the show.

"Oppa" she whispered. The figure examined what was happening carefully. She was sweating and breathing quickly. He watched as Hyun Joong walked away, but returned to wake her. She bolted upright with her hand on his chest.

The man's eyes scanned the other feed. The suspect and his wife were asleep in the room. No noises. No movement.

Back on the other feed he saw the Hyun Joong hug the girl until she finally fell asleep. He stayed awake all night to see if she'd have another nightmare, but she didn't. It was too late to do anything about it now. He would have to see how things worked out. It was an important fact that had pushed him to pair her up with Hyun Joong and not Jaejoong.

I hope it works out better this time Leeteuk thought.