Instability

All of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even the walk home reminded me of him.

 

The curb, the stairs, the walls.

 

I gingerly reached out at the surface of the door, clenching my keys in the other hand. We hadn’t been dating long but he somehow had overwhelmed my life. He slowly had seeped into my mind until my thoughts were saturated with him. I was so full I thought I would burst.

 

I was too wrapped up in my head that I didn’t notice the figure in the corner right away.

 

“Hayi, you’re back.”

 

I held my heart in shock as the law student next door stepped toward me.

 

“Ah, hello.” I greeted, my lips curved tight over my teeth into an uncomfortable smile. I started to guide my keys toward the lock, not wanting to stay in the hallway for too long.

 

“You didn’t sleep here last night, did you?”

 

The smile fell from my mouth.

 

“No, I was at a friend’s house.”

 

“Next time you get locked out, I could help you.” He offered, stepping closer. I looked at him in confusion before he added, “I’m good with picking locks.”

 

I could feel the blood rush to my head.

 

“Oh, I see. Yes, thank you.” I laughed uneasily, stabbing my key into the lock desperately. The knob turned and I quickly grasped onto it. “Well, goodbye then.”

 

I threw myself into my apartment, closing the door behind me as quickly as possible without letting it slam against the frame. I held my heart as it hammered wildly against my ribcage, in deep breaths to calm down. I carefully walked to my bed, falling into the crumpled comforter and wrinkled sheets. The mattress muffled my anxious, frustrated scream.

 

The phone rang suddenly and I nearly flung myself toward it, picking up immediately.

 

“Hanna, I’m so happy you called.”

 

“Are you?” She asked sarcastically. “Or did you think it was someone else?”

 

“What are you talking about?” I laughed uneasily, eyes straying warily to the closed door. “Of course I’m happy it’s you, my best friend in the whole world.”

 

I could hear her clearing over the line.

 

“Are you coming to the department dinner tonight?”

 

“Ah, I’m not sure.” I answered honestly. I looked back at the door, suddenly very aware that I was all alone.

 

“What, the engineering school couple won’t be showing off their love?” Hanna teased, but I could remnants of bitterness in her voice. I knew I had been neglecting her. Even when we had class together it felt as if we never saw each other anymore. I’d seen her last only that morning and yet all I could talk about was Jiwon.

 

“Mm, I don’t know if Jiwon is going but I’ll be there.” I told her, eyes still focused on the door.

 

I hung up, not sure if I should text Jiwon. Everything was still new for us. Even fighting was new, and in a strange way that held a buzz of excitement.

 

I decided to go to the party after all, if only to spend more time with Hanna. Jiwon hadn’t arrived by the time I’d gotten there and I was already late.

 

“Ah, hey! It’s Kim Jiwon’s girlfriend!”

 

I greeted the upperclassmen with a smile, even though I seriously doubted they actually knew my name. I shyly accepted drinks as Hanna swallowed them back beside me.

 

“Here, another drink for Jiwon’s girlfriend.” One of the third years poured another shot as I nodded with pursed lips. No, they didn’t know my name.

 

Before I could take a drink, the glass was taken from me.

 

“In America, they call this hazing.” The guy next to me frowned after taking the shot for me.

 

“June, how long are you gonna brag about studying abroad?” Hanna groaned. “Jiwon’s from the U.S. and he doesn’t talk about it as much as you do…”

 

June.

 

Jiwon’s roommate.

 

He wasn’t even an engineering major so why was he there?

 

I looked around the room scanning the faces in the dimly lit bar, hoping I’d find the one I was looking for.

 

“Did they make you drink?”

 

I whipped around so fast I knocked over the empty glass in front of me. Somehow, I couldn’t bring myself to care.

 

“Jiwon, you’re here.” I said, the smile barely contained on my face.

 

Instead of answering he ruffled my hair and sat next to me. He picked up the glass I’d knocked over and righted it, unbroken. It was fine, right?

 

Everything was fine again.

 

“Are you ready to go?” He leaned in to whisper, his warm breath spreading down my neck.

 

I nodded, my cheeks feeling warm from something more than the alcohol. Surprisingly, Hanna didn’t put up much of a fight when I told her I was leaving. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter