Haze

All of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I poured a cup of coffee, shaking out two sugars. The steam wafted into my tired eyes. I slid the mug of coffee and a glass of water with a pack of aspirin over the counter toward my mother. She took the coffee gratefully, sticking out her tongue after drinking it too soon.

 

“Be careful, mom.” I sighed, cradling my own coffee snugly in my palms. I barely managed to sleep the night before, in between holding my mom’s hair as she lurched over the toilet and making sure she didn’t sleep on her back.

 

She set down her coffee and picked up the water to take her aspirin. She took a long gulp of water and set the empty glass on the counter.

 

“I have big news.” She announced as she looked at me, her eyes puffy and face swollen. “I’m getting married!”

 

“Ah.” I let out a small huff of air, taking carefully sips of my coffee. It wasn’t really big news, nor was it at all surprising. “Congrats.”

 

My mom had been married twice, and been engaged double that. The kids at school (and their parents) used to say my tuition was paid for by pawned diamond rings. They never thought to mention the divorce settlements and breakup gifts. I doubt my mom ever bought her own car.

 

“I’ll be moving into my husband’s house this week.” She smiled, she always smiled. Every time she smiled like she was genuinely happy. Every time she acted like that man was the one. “It’s nice all his children are grown sons. I won’t have to fight with any stepdaughters.”

 

“This time.” I let the words sit at the back of my throat, unsaid. I remembered all of the screaming matches growing up and the sisters who wanted nothing more than to kick me out of the house.

 

“By the way, who were you with last night? It sounded like a boy… Are you using protection?” She asked casually as I choked on my coffee. “If you're not careful you’ll end up abandoned and alone like your pitiful mother.”

 

“It’s not like that.” I protested but she didn’t listen, rattling off the name of every contraceptive she could think of.  

 

I didn’t want to tell her about Jiwon because I knew she’d ruin it. She ruined everything important to me.

 

“You’ll help me finish moving, right?” She asked without skipping a beat.

 

“Yes.” I answered solemnly, pouring myself another cup of coffee. It’s not like I had any choice.

 

“Bring your boyfriend because there might be some heavy lifting.”

 

“I’m not bringing him!”

 

“Oh, so you do have a boyfriend?” She chortled in victory. “I’m so happy! I thought there was something wrong with you because you never dated.”

 

“I’m leaving, I don’t have to put up with this.” I murmured, dropping the still-hot coffee onto the counter.

 

She grabbed onto my hand as I walked away. I shook her off, catching a glance at her giant and glittering ring.

 

I slammed the door shut behind me as I ran down the stairs, wiping tears from my eyes.

 

 

 

I checked my eyes in the front facing camera on my phone before ringing the doorbell to Hyejin’s apartment. She greeted me with a smile as she opened the door. I followed her into the apartment, backpack slung over my shoulder.

 

“How did your Calc exam go?” She asked as she got out a can of Coke from the fridge and handed it to me.

 

“I think it went pretty well. I studied with Jiwon and didn’t get too distracted.” I answered with a tiny laugh as I rummaged through my bag to get out her notes. She took the binder from me with a smile as she lounged in a kitchen chair. I continued to stand awkwardly. “I feel bad for doubting him…”

 

“Hayi, just sit down.” Hyejin laughed at me in exasperation, kicking out the chair opposite to her. I sat down with a little nod, holding the can of Coke tightly in my hands. “I feel so embarrassed for trying to hook you two up when you were already freakin’ dating! Why didn’t you say anything?”

 

“Ah, it was just like that.” I replied lamely. “How did you meet your boyfriend Jiho?”

 

“In high school.” She sighed, brushing back her short hair from her face. “He played basketball. That’s how Jaewon, Jiwon, and Jiho all know each other, too. They were on the same team even though Jiwon was the only talented one.”

 

I stifled a surprised giggle. I never knew Jiwon as a basketball player, but he must have been something incredible.

 

“I’m jealous… I wish I could have seen him play.”

 

I didn’t say it, but I was thankful we had met when we did. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have been as close. He might not have even noticed me, I wonder if I would have been just another one of those girls holding up a handmade sign. I doubt I would have been, that wasn’t really my style. Our fates were fragile, I realized, and it was amazing we met the way we did.

 

“Well, I better get going now.” I bowed my head in thanks as I started to get up. “Thank you again for the notes.”

 

“Wait.” Hyejin grabbed onto my wrist. “If you’re not busy, why don’t you stay over?”

 

“I don’t know.” I bit my lip as I tried to think of excuses. There were none that made any sense, and I liked spending time with Hyejin. “Okay, I’ll stay.”

 

“So how are things with Jiwon going?” Hyejin asked once we’d traded our sodas for beers. My backpack had been abandoned on the floor and we’d moved to the couch. “I’ve never heard about him dating before so I’m curious.”

 

I looked down at my beer can, cheeks tinged with pink in girlish embarrassment.

 

“Things are… good.” I answered sheepishly. “When you do something wrong, how do you usually make it up to Jiho?”

 

“Well,” A devilish smile bloomed on her face as she raised her eyebrows suggestively. I felt my heart skip a beat as my face turned a thousand different shades of red. “I usually just make him a lunchbox. He thinks it’s cute because he re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter