Breeze

All of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I bit into a piece of toast like a savage, eyes glazed and absent. My fingers reached up to dust the crumbs stuck in my lipgloss. The pads of my fingers hovered on my lip, remembering the warmth of Jiwon’s lips on mine. I could still feel the way it felt.

 

His lips were so soft.

 

“Earth to Hayi!” Hanna shouted, audibly rolling her eyes from across the kitchen counter.

 

“What?” I grumbled at her, mouthful of toast. “It’s early.”

 

“Yeah, but you’re acting like a total space case.”

 

Before I could fling an apple at her head, there was a knock at the door. I continued lazily picking at my breakfast as Hanna jumped up to unlock the door. I looked over to see who it was and the toast nearly fell out of my mouth.

 

“Hey.” Jiwon slide into the chair next to me, a sleepy grin on his face.

 

His hair was a ruffled mess and it looked like he slept in his wrinkled t-shirt. I felt less embarrassed of my bed head and questionably short (and super fuzzy) sleep shorts.

 

I tried not to think about how easily he strolled into Hanna’s apartment. I really, really tried not to think about it.

 

But the question must have been written across my face in red ink.

 

“Hanna has a toaster and microwave.” He shrugged, pouring himself a glass of juice. “I don’t.”

 

The explanation was simple enough, and so completely in character, that it had both Hanna and I doubled over in laughter. Jiwon made himself breakfast with the ease of someone who was comfortable with the space he was in. It was just toast, I tried to tell myself.

 

My eyes wandered to the window, rain still lightly falling outside.

 

“So, how did you two meet?” Jiwon asked as he crunched on toast and peanut butter. “High school, right?”

 

“Robotics club.” Hanna and I answered in unison.

 

“I was the President and Hayi was the Vice President.”

 

“We were the only two members.” I explained with a little smile. “But we still won a lot of competitions.”

 

“Ah, wow.” Jiwon gave us a laugh and a small round of applause. “I didn’t know my friends were so cool. I’m jealous.”   

 

Hanna told stories and I added where I could. It was starting to feel like I was the third wheel in this situation, even though it should have been the other way around. The way Hanna hit Jiwon on the arm when she laughed, the way he laughed and laughed and laughed at her jokes.

 

I reminded myself they’re just friends. Just neighbors.

 

It was just toast.

 

“Bobby!” A voice yelled from the hallway, startling me, but not Hanna or Jiwon. “I know you’re in there!”

 

“Just ignore it, Hayi.” Hanna whispered, patting me on the shoulder. She turned her attention to Jiwon, giving him an unamused frown. “What did you do to June this time?”

 

“I have no idea.” Jiwon gulped the rest of his juice, not looking all that innocent. His eyes turned to the door as the yelling turned into banging. He stood up reluctantly. “Well, I guess I should go…”

 

“Do that.” Hanna spat.

 

“I’ll see you later, Hayi.” He gave me a lopsided little smile and ruffled my hair before leaving. I could hear him yelling back as soon as the door was shut.

 

Hanna only laughed, flipping her hair over her shoulder. Her cheeks were slightly pink.

 

“What are you blushing about?” I asked with the subtlety of a freight train. I knew it, she knew it.

 

Hanna stopped laughing, staring at me in confusion.

 

“I’m not, though?” Her fingers gently touched at her flushed cheeks. “You’re the one who was like a little puppy when your hubby walked in.”

 

“Was not…” I whined unconvincingly, getting up to put my plate in the sink, grabbing Hanna’s as well. I the sink, watching as the crumbs flowed into the basin. “Hey, Han, is there anyone that you like right now?”

 

“Me?” She asked in shock, slightly choking on her juice. “I do, but it’s a little complicated.”

 

“How is it complicated?”

 

“Well, not everyone can just confess and have things work out.” Hanna explained as I shifted to look at her. She was pretty when she spoke, delicate like a girl in love. “Honestly, I’m jealous of you.”

 

“You’re jealous of me?” I narrowed my eyes at her, arms crossing over my chest. I in a deep breath, gathering all of my confidence. “Why, do you like Jiwon?”

 

I stared her down, feet firmly planted on the ground. I refused to blink, even though I wanted to cry. I wanted it to be my imagination. I wanted her to tell me I was crazy, that it was dumb to even think like that.

 

Hanna looked up at me,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter