nine

One Last Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyuhyun glances around in her house the next morning after he woke up in her living room. The mess created last night was already cleaned up and from the sound of the water running; Cha Eungi is now taking her morning shower. He lifts his body and cringes when the pain in his upper left arm begins to sting, he knows how reckless his act was yesterday but in it was the only thing he could do to protect Eungi at the moment.

They talked last night, mostly about the soccer game showing on TV because Eungi is avoiding any conversation about what just happened earlier to them. Kyuhyun knows it’s not really his place to demand answer from her. At least not now, not when she’s still frightened with what happened. He believes her and he’s certain that Eungi will eventually tell him what he needs to know when the time is right.

After the soccer game ended, he offered to stay around just in case the psyco old woman will come again and he’s delighted when Eungi didn’t say anything but threw him a pillow and a blanket before she pointed out where he could sleep for the night. She didn’t say it but Kyuhyun knows, she needed him and she wanted him around.

He gets up from the couch he slept in last night and begins to give himself a house tour of Eungi’s space. She’s a neat woman that keeps everything in order and to his surprise, she doesn’t really keep much personal belongings other than book. Wherever he looks, he’ll find stacks of books and papers on top of every surface in her house. Kyuhyun gets himself to the kitchen to grab a glass of water when he figures his stalking time finally paid off. Eungi keeps her Polaroid pictures on her fridge door and one of the pictures in it confirms Kyuhyun that the Choi Siwon he stalked last night was the right one.

His heart is once again aching to see how happy Eungi was with Siwon, in the pictures she smiles the way he never seen her smile before. The shine in her eyes are different. Cha Eungi always seems like a mature woman that knows how to control her expression well even when she faced with a bizarre situation, very different from the free soul Kyuhyun sees in the pictures of her on the fridge. It’s almost like Eungi has a happier twin sister that he never met.

Kyuhyun now torn in between the fact that Siwon is actually gone from her life and the fact that she lives in the memories of him to keep her alive. Never had he seen somebody live in denial the way Eungi did, and he’s not sure yet on what to do with her single status right now. He quickly erase his presumptuous thoughts once he remembered how amazing Siwon’s profile was, if he wants to be the replacement for the man, he at least need to be a man that really deserve to be by her side. Judging from his situation now, he has a long way to go to pursue what Siwon had.

He continues his tour towards the huge bookcase Eungi has to separate her kitchen to her living room and he begins to scan through the book she has, wondering if she already finished all of them. His attention draws to the children books in the bottom left corner, he remembers Eungi told him that she loved reading since she was little, but he never thought she kept her children books with her. He grabs the oldest looking one and starts to read the classic tale of the three piglets.

“You’re awake, how’s your arm?” Eungi steps nearer and takes a closer look to his arm. “I called the campus and told them I’m taking a sick leave for the day. Let’s go see a doctor, I don’t want it to be infected.”

“I’m fine, noona. You took care of it very well last night.” He smiles and turns his eyes back to the bookcase. “Have you read all these?”

Eungi nods.

“All of it?” He widens his eyes in disbelieve.

“Why? Does that make me sounds nerdier?”

He chuckles and put back the children book he hold then takes a thicker book that seems to be stacks of papers bonded together.

“Put that down, Kyu.” Eungi’s hand restrains his from taking the tick file, but Kyuhyun’s faster than she is.

He opens the cover and studies the pages closely. Most of the pages consist of a child’s drawing with several emphases on the body parts on some of the pages. Other pages shows the weird proportion of a house and a man that’s holding a little girl and its written Appa and Eungi-ya.”

“Your first drawing?” Kyuhyun turns his head to Eungi while pointing the page. “I never even kept my early drawings since my parents didn’t seem to care about it. You must be one of those girls that have her school project stuck on the fridge’s door whenever you bring something new back home.”

Eungi bites her lips and hesitates “Put that back Kyu, that’s my most treasured book.”

“Look!” Kyuhyun points to the cute stickers scatters on the other page, “So you’ll get stickers whenever you did well?”

Eungi closes the book in his hand then shove it back to the book case.

“Noona, don’t be embarrassed, every child drew like that. It’s actually comforting for me to know you had the normal phase every child went through. I thought you were born genius.”

She takes a deep breath and forces a smile, “It’s not my drawing, Kyu. It’s my dad’s.”

He tilts his head to level Eungi’s, “Ne?”

She lifts her shoulders then walks away from the book case towards the credenza in the living room to takes something out of the drawer. Kyuhyun follows her and takes the picture frame Cha Eungi gives him.

“He’s my father, Cha Daewoo.” She adds a weak smile after recalling his name. “He’s my hero and my first love. Despite how he looks like.”

Kyuhyun studies the picture closely, a young man in around his thirties are smiling happily with a little happy girl sitting on his lap. Eungi was an adorable little girl with her messed up ponytails and her cute little sund

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter