twenty three

One Last Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyuhyun has been in a state of conscious and unconscious all over the night, he opens his eyes at one point during the night and thinks he’s dreaming since the woman he’s been missing is now sleeping soundly while hugging him right next to him. He’s too weak to move a finger so he closes his eyes again and takes his sweet dream one more time for the rest of the night. If the only illusion he can have of Eungi laying in his arm is by being extremely sick like this, he’ll take his stupid misfortune as a blessing.

He awakes the next morning completes with his common sense. Kyuhyun turns in his sleep and sinks his face deeper into the soft pillow beneath his head and the scent that greets him immediately takes him to nostalgic memories he has of her. The place he’s in right now smells exactly like her scent that he remembers and he takes his time to reminisce the moment before he finally opens his eyes.

The first sight he sees in front of him is a giant rabbit plushy that stares blankly at him with its dotted eyes. Kyuhyun lifts his body but the pain in his head strikes again so he slams his head back into the pillow. He grunts a little bit before he does a second attempt to get up from his position, using his elbow to support him, Kyuhyun finally managed to sit on the bed properly. He glances around the room he’s in and tries to collect the memory that leads him to this very place, he knows where he’s in since he’s been here before during her drunken time. He thought he was dreaming last night when he sees Eungi sleeping next to him, but judging from the place he’s in right now, he knew he wasn’t hallucinating.

He tries to get up but distracted by the outfit he’s wearing. He doesn’t remember ever having this kind of hoodie before, he then lifts up the blanket that’s covering him and a simple smile draws on his face—Cha Eungi must have took off all of his clothes yesterday and only left him with his boxer on. Kyuhyun glances to the side table and reads the notes she wrote for him: ‘Drink this once you’re awake, don’t argue with me!’ He chuckles and obeys her order as he takes two pills she prepared for him and gulps it down with the glass of water next to him.

His attention diverted from studying her room to the sound he hears from a distance. Kyuhyun stands up and slowly takes his steps towards the source of the sound to find Cha Eungi who’s now busy preparing something from the stove. He takes a moment to enjoy the sight of her then clears his throat to make an entrance and Eungi turns her head at once.

 

*Pict belongs to Park Seul

 

“You’re awake.” She rounds her eyes and turns off the stove.

Kyuhyun nods and give his best attempt to smile at her.

She approaches him and nimbly places her palms on both of his cheeks to check with his temperature. It’s oddly natural for them to act like this considering their hurtful history, Kyuhyun bites his lips nervously with her face being so close to his while Eungi is still consume with her worries over his fever.

“It’s better than last night but still high enough, let’s go to a doctor after breakfast, ne?” She then pulls him towards the dining chair.

“I feel better already, no need to see any doctor.” He takes his seat and support his heavy head with his fists.

“Do you want me to scold you? You passed out Kyu! You dived face first onto my porch, how do you call that ‘okay’?” She raises her voice but her expression delivers her concern instead of anger.

“Because I feel fine already, you took a great care of me, got rid of all my wet clothes, put me into this warm hoodie.” He spread his arms to the side and smiles, “I haven’t felt this great in a long time.”

“Sorry about your clothes, it was drenched and it could make your fever higher.” She looks down to her foot to hide her blushing cheek.

Kyuhyun chuckles, “It’s okay, you’ve seen everything anyway.”

His blunt answer only makes Eungi’s face feels hotter so she avoids being stuck in this awkward conversation to continues her cooking.

He lays back on the chair and enjoys the view of her preparing breakfast for him, he still considers this as a part of his dream since suddenly they communicate the way they used to and they’re back in this familiar warmness that’s always created around them back then, it’s too good to be true but he has no objection whatsoever.

Eungi walks towards the table with a tray in her hand, he’s about to get up to help her but she’s stares him down and quickly places one bowl of porridge in front of him. “Finish that.” She talks without looking at him and walks back to the sink to put down the tray before she joins him on the table.

Kyuhyun takes the spoon she gives him, scramble the porridge a little bit, then takes a full potion into his mouth. Since he lives in Delft, he’s trying hard to adapt to Dutch food and he’s at the peak of his boredom for the mild flavor that’s contradictory to Korean spices, having Eungi cooking him a Korean styled food as his breakfast clearly has made his morning even better.

“Do you like it?” She asks hesitantly.

He nods and scoops another spoonful into his mouth and gives Eungi a thumb up with his left hand.

She’s enjoying the sight of him taking spoonful after spoonful of the food she carefully prepared for him while secretly thanking heaven for the chance of having a simple non-awkward breakfast with her man. If only this could happen every day in their life, but she shrugs the dreamy thoughts away from her head immediately, she doesn’t want to let herself fall into the pit of her own expectation.

“By the way, how did you move me to your bed?” He opens a casual conversation with her, “I must’ve weight you down.”

Eungi grins widely, “You gained a lot of weight, aren’t you? It was challenging but I had my way.”

“Since all I do mostly involve sitting down, reading, typing and eating, I have no defense over my weight gain. Dutch food doesn’t make it any better, they incorporate butter in almost anything!” He scoffs playfully, “So, you lifted me up?”

She shakes her head, “Let’s say I used your back to clean up my floor.”

He chuckles, “So you pulled me to the bed, classic yet effective. I’m sorry to caused that kind of trouble, I imagine it must be hard for you to do that.”

“Well, don’t push yourself too much next time, ne?”

Kyuhyun smiles and takes the last spoonful of his porridge.

“You could’ve called me to cancel our meeting yesterday.” She blurts out again, “we can always reschedule if you didn’t feel well, no need to push yourself to the limit.”

Kyuhyun puts down his spoon, takes the glass of water next to him to gulp down his food. He then extends his right hand towards her and flips his palm to face upwards. “Then why don’t you write down your number there so I can give you a call? In fact, I’ll tattoo it so that next time I lost my phone again, I’d still have your contact etches on my skin.”

He once again caught her off guard with his words. Eungi stares at him with question in her eyes while Kyuhyun’s eyes fixes on hers with clear agony. They were just having a casual joke about what happened yesterday and now suddenly the topic swifts into their real problem.

“That time, you thought I left you without notice, didn’t you?” He continues, he’s in the right track to reopen their wound so why not go all the way and finish it now.

“I-I..” She’s can’t even put together some words since she’s too shock to replies.

“I was wrong, I left that night thinking that I could contact you later on—only to be reminded I lost your contact in that damned stolen phone. Not that calling you from the airport would make things any better, but at least I thought I’d let you know that way, since I had an emergency measure.”

“You still can call me from a public phone.” She finally utters her first argument.

“And press what number?” He clenches his jaws together, “I can’t even memorize my own phone number, how am I going to remember yours?”

“You could’ve write a note.” She bargains with options he could’ve took. “You could leave a message in the receptionist downstairs, you could’ve wake

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter