seventeen

One Last Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The way back to their apartment was full of awkward silences. They take the metro and it happened to be packed with a lot of people so Kyuhyun is holding onto the hand rail on top while his other hand holds her by the waist. Eungi leans her head helplessly on his shoulder and Kyuhyun stays in silence for the rest of their journey. She’s busy managing her own feeling while he’s busy shaking off his negative thoughts that he has earlier.

He can’t believe that he had that mean thought in his mind earlier, how could he back out from all of these when he’s helplessly in love with the woman in his arm? He should’ve known that the moment he decided to step into her life is the moment he must be ready for every melt down she might have. Eungi herself had reminded him about that and Kyuhyun gently took the challenge. He knows she needs him and she asked him to stay by her side, so why would he doubt her? What Cha Eungi needs is time and Kyuhyun has to be the bigger person to give her that luxury.

After the exhausting emotional night, they finally arrive back in their save rental apartment, both of them are just too worn out from today’s walking activity. She just went to three places today, but the remaining energy she has for the night is almost empty. Once they arrive in the apartment, Eungi drops her body onto the sofa and takes a cushion to covers her face while she’s closing her eyes.

“Shall I get dinner?” Kyuhyun takes a seat next to her.

She slides her seat next to him to lean on his chest, finding the familiar comfort she’s been needing all day. “Ng, I’m not that hungry but I guess we can have something.”

He reluctantly rounds his arm on her shoulder and tries hard to get rid of his bad thought that still haunt his mind. She’s not the only one that needs comforting, he needs to be comforted also and the only person that can comfort him is still busy mending her own feeling. If it’s up to him, he’ll book the earliest plane ticket for both of them and go to Seoul right away, but it’ll be rude for him to force her to get out of this city very soon just in case she’s not really done with her goodbye.

He tightens his hugs around her then kisses the top of her head deeply while inhaling her sweet scent, how could he stand being away from her if he already feels restless with the thought of not being with her. She’s his everything and he went far enough to reach to this point of their relationship and though this time probably the most doubtful moment for him, he’s sure Eungi will come around eventually.

Their solemn moment is disturbed by weird voices coming from his stomach, they had their late breakfast this morning and only had simple sandwiches for lunch, of course he’ll be hungry by ten o’clock at night. Eungi scoffs to the sound of his stomach and pinches his cheek before telling him to go grab dinner.

Kyuhyun reach into his back pocket to get his phone to call the Chinese food delivery whose number he saved after he returned to that place for the fourth time. His right pocket is empty so he checks the left one and the remaining pockets available in his jeans.

“What’s wrong?” Eungi straighten her sit and pays full attention to him.

“It’s weird, I think I put my phone in here.” He walks toward the hanger by the front door to check his outer wear’s pocket and the phone he’s looking for is still missing.

“Did you left it on the side table?” She suggested the idea.

Kyuhyun shakes his head, “We took pictures in Sacre-Coeur earlier with my phone. Can you give it a call please?”

“Sure.” Eungi takes her own phone from her purse and calls his number only to be told that it’s turned off. “It’s off.”

He wipes his face with his hands and takes his seat back next to her. “Was it stolen then?”

Eungi lifts her shoulders and tries to call for his phone one more time and it’s still turned off. “Wow, this city sure is full of scams.” She mumbles.

“I hate Paris.” He adds.

“Yeah, me too. We are so not coming back here.” She slides closer to him to pats his shoulder, “Is there anything important in your phone?”

He nods, “Our pictures.”

Eungi smiles and hugs him, “I have those in my phone so I can transfer all images to you after you get the new one.”

“It still though.” His mood today has officially ruined by everything happened throughout the day.

“Is your wallet okay? Passport? IDs?” She reminds him the more important thing besides a hand phone.

“I didn’t bring my wallet to the street, only some Euros in my front pocket which is save, my passport and wallet is tuck in safely in my luggage inside the cupboard along with the rest of my IDs.” He calmly replies, “Just the phone.”

“I’m sorry.”

He chuckles, “You’re not the one that stole it why are you sorry? It’s okay, I’ll just walk one block to get dinner, okay?”

“I’ll take a long bath while you do that.” She smiles weakly, “Or maybe you’d like to join me?”

He’s tempted with the idea but it’s definitely not a right time for any moment, she’s still sad and he’s still pissed—things could go wrong anytime soon if they force their intimacy.

“Let’s not skip another dinner tonight, ne?” He gives a quick kiss on her lips to avoid any sign of harsh rejection. “I’ll take a rain check for that hot long bath with you, you owe me one.” He adds a little smirk to .

“Arraseo.”

*

 

Eungi is walking back and forth in the rental apartment, she took quite a long time in the bath and when she’s done, Kyuhyun hasn’t return from buying their take-out and it worries her. It’s almost midnight and Paris is not a friendly city during the night. Before her imagination goes wild, she thinks of some way to calm herself and her initial initiative is to call his phone but then she reminded that he just lost it this afternoon.

She decided to wait more for him, maybe he takes his time to calm himself also from what happened today and he doesn’t want Eungi to see how shaken he is in front of her. Maybe Kyuhyun needs some time away from her and use the excuse of buying dinner to avoid being in the same room with her for a little while. Eungi understands how emotional today’s journey is for both of them and she can totally accept the fact if Kyuhyun feels a little bit uncomfortable with her recollecting her memories. His grim face since they left the restaurant told her enough about his feeling and Eungi didn’t want to ask him anything since she’s afraid it’ll offend him in a way.

She figures that reason makes enough sense to explain why he’s not back in their apartment just yet so she decided to go to the cupboard and change into her pajamas. She’s doesn’t feel hungry at all and her head is filled with a lot of asset for her to put into writing, so while waiting for him, she opens up her laptop and begins continuing the two chapters she already written.

Rewriting it means that she has to recall the bitter memory and she swears to herself that this will be the last time she’d allow herself to cry over her dead fiancé. This is her final journey and to her surprise, her heart feels lighter after she properly bid her goodbye to him. Kyuhyun was right that the way for her to heal is actually to face her fear—and she plans to write that down for her final chapter of the book.

Eungi adds more details that she remembered today into her draft, ignoring the pain she feels deep in her heart and keep forcing herself to pour all her miseries into words. Words that one day will be read by other people so they’d understand what kind of tragedy that happened, so people can get the story from the person that was actually on the spot when it occurred. She knows if her book is launched, it won’t change the world and bad people with mean propaganda will still run around freely, but what happened was history and she wants her book to be a piece of evidence that can last a lifetime just like Anne Frank’s Diary during the Nazi Propaganda.

She keeps on writing while ignoring the heaviness of her eyelids, her body is ready to give in into the soft pillow piles up on the bed but she’s on fire tonight and she doesn’t want to miss the chance to write down everything she remembers today. For a little while she forgets that Kyuhyun hasn’t return back from buying their late dinner and she didn’t even realize when her man comes back home later that night.

He knows how late he arrived back in their apartment, the walk that supposed to take only ten minutes took a very long detour because an unexpe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter