thirty

One Last Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*pict belongs to Park Seul

 

Kyuhyun and Eungi takes their break from the Netherlands and return to Seoul to stay for a couple of months in their own country in order to take care some important things. They’re back to Seoul for a quick wedding ceremony and also to do some work-related activities regarding the campus administration. Since he got his degree, Kyuhyun is now officially takes his position in the board of director and he’s entitled to give his voice whenever an academic problem arises. Kyuhyun and Eungi has been thinking about his new position as a way to bring down their old plagiarist nemesis, Mr. Hwang and they’ve been preparing some new evidences to do that soon enough.

They also use their time to do a site visit to their future home that Kyuhyun had drown when he proposes to her and she once again having her jaw dropping moment when she sees the actual place. The site is just as perfect as Kyuhyun’s description and he really bought the place for both of them to start building their own little family. They’re not going to live in there right away, since he took the doctoral researcher position offer and Eungi hasn’t really finished her post-doc studies. But once they’re done, it’ll be the place they’ll call home and they’re too excited when they see how perfect the on-going construction has been.

As for today, it’s the morning of their wedding and they followed old western tradition that they should be in different rooms while waiting for the ceremony to begin.

She’s walking back and forth in her waiting room, constantly checking her reflection in the mirror and trying to find something else to fix while she still has some time. She takes her deep breath and tries to calm herself, she just finds out about something so shocking that she herself refuses to believe, and the worst part of her new discovery is that she finds out in the very morning of her wedding day.

Professor Van Wijk knocks on her door and lets himself in without waiting for her command, he brings her hand flower bouquet and a glass of champagne to help her to loosen up a little bit.

“Here, helped me a lot during my wedding ceremony.” He offers her the glass.

Eungi shakes her head, “I feel like I’m about to barf, I can’t put anything into my mouth. Is this supposed to be this intense?” She looks at him with her wide eyes.

“What scares you, Cha? You’ll be married to the man that you love.”

“What if he has a second thought?” She bites her lips nervously. “Is he still in his waiting room? Please tell me he hasn’t left the scene.”

Van Wijk laughs, “I bet he worries about the same thing in his own waiting room right now.”

“Tell me it’s going to be okay.” She takes a seat and leans slightly into the backrest, trying to not messes with her hairdo.

Van Wijk takes his time to observes her behavior, even during her most intense moment when she presented her defense, Cha Eungi never looked this pale and her face never been as tense as it is today. he noticed her eyes are traveling from one corner to another and the way she controls her breathing are a little bit excessive.

“Cha!” He grabs her by her shoulders and shake her, “You’re having a panic attack aren’t you?”

She tries to look at him straight in the eyes and Van Wijk can clearly sees her worried face.

“Is it possible that you’re the one that’s having cold feet?” He tilts his head.

Eungi shakes her head. “Sir Joost, what should I do?” She whispers.

“You just need to take a deep breath, follow my steps towards the altar, say ‘I do’ and let him kiss you. It’s that simple Cha, it’s not so hard to do. The commitment is hard to do, but the wedding will be over before you know it.” He chuckles, trying to cheer her up.

“No, not about that.” She bites her lips. “Aish, I don’t even know how to tell you about this.”

“What?”

She takes another deep breath and begins to pats her chest to relax.

“Cha Eungi, you’re killing me with your strange attitude now, tell me what bothers you.”

She takes another deep breath and she finally pats the space next to her seat, asking Van Wijk to sit next to her so she can have a quick consultation with her professor.

Eungi lowers her voice, almost whispering when she’s telling the reason behind her panic attack this morning, she’s so afraid somebody will overheard her so she really takes her time and volume down while explaining the problem at her hand. He leans into her closer to be able to listen to what she has to say and his eyes widen in surprise after he understands her reason.

Van Wijk takes her hand and squeeze them tight while he does his best effort to calm her down. “You can talk about that later, he’ll understand.”

“Shouldn’t I talk now? Before it’s too late? Before we say ‘I do’?” She can feel her lips are shaking from the tremor.

“Later, Cha.” He gives a pat on her shoulder as encouragement. “We have a wedding to do and your problem can wait.”

“But Sir..”

“It’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding, so don’t try to see him right now.” He presses his voice to keep her nearby. “I’m gonna hold your hands now to ease your mind and you can squeeze my hand later when we walk down the aisle. But whatever you do, don’t try to see him before the ceremony.”

“You’re being superstitious. I have to tell him this, Sir.” She puffs her face to helps her controls her breathing.

“It won’t change anything, I’m sure. He loves you and it won’t change anything.” He convinces her. “but if you tell him now, it’ll ruin the mood a little bit and let’s not do that. He’s done his best to get here, Cha, you can’t just ruin that moment for him because you can’t keep a secret a bit longer.”

She opens , ready to argue for some more but their wedding organizer knocks on her door, telling her to be ready in five minutes.

“It’s time, come on.” Van Wijk gets up and helps her to raise up from her seat and he helps rearrange her wedding dress a little bit.

“I’m scared, Sir.” She admits. “Tell me I’m doing a right thing.”

“This is the best decision you ever made.” He nods and step closer to hug her.

“Do I look okay?” She takes a peek into the mirror one more time to confirm.

“You’re dashing and glowing now, the prettiest bride I’ve ever seen.” He kisses her cheek softly, “Don’t tell my wife I said that.”

She smiles softly and swallows her ego in the end. Choosing to lays her faith in Kyuhyun’s hand and believing in Van Wijk’s suggestions. He’s been right about almost anything in her life anyway, he must be right this time around too.

 

*

 

Kyuhyun stands nervously on his place, he can’t take his eyes from the big double door where his bride is about to come out anytime soon. All eyes are now on him since Eungi hasn’t show up just yet and he honestly can’t wait to see how stunning she’s become today.

They decided to do it in a traditional way, in a church where he grew up and only invited some close families from his side and some of her close friends from Netherlands, her close friends gladly booked their plane tickets to see her getting married and also as the reason for a quick holiday to East Asia.

He constantly needs to remind himself to breath while waiting for her. She’s unusually late and it begins to worry him, he really hopes she doesn’t get cold feet in the last minutes then leave him alone in the altar with all these people staring at him. He looks into his watch one more time to make sure that they’re still in the schedule then whispers one more time to himself that everything will be fine.

His worries disappear once a loud sound of an instrumental piano sound begins playing in the back ground. He lets her pick her own song for the entrance and she chose the song from Paul McCartney titled This Never Happened Before as her entrance song—which he has to admit quite fitting to their story. His long wait seems to be worth it once he takes a glance into his bride.

Eungi stares at him in the eyes from the far end of the church, the shine in her eyes are as tensed as his and she’s holding onto her professor’s elbow that stands on her right while her left hand is holding a beautiful bouquet of pink roses that compliments her soft make-up. His jaw drops in awe once he lowers his gaze do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter