three

One Last Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

To her surprise, Cho Kyuhyun is sitting quietly in the back of the class when she enters the studio the next day, seems like he really did considering Eungi’s offer to perform well in class. He waves and smiles at her once they lock eyes and Eungi replies with a simple nod and a look that Kyuhyun still doesn’t like.

“Okay, I’ll begin the class.” Eungi clears then continues. “Last Monday we’re talking about the introduction to green design and each group has presented their rough ideas on how to save our planet without compromising the beauty in designs. Now can anyone of you tell me the basic fundamental ideas of sustainability? I explained about this last Monday.”

No one answered, not even the smart kids.

“I’ll give extra credits if you answer. I’ll write it down straight away in my score book.” She walks to her table and takes the little black notes she carries with her all the time.

A student from the backside of the class raises his hand, Eungi points her finger to his direction and the whole class turn their head to the kid.

“Yes, Kyuhyun-ssi?” it’s the second time Kyuhyun tries to prove his seriousness in this class.

“Ne.” He looks at her in the eyes, “Economic, Social and environmental.”

Eungi nods. “Why?”

“Because one can’t survive without the others, to save the earth you can’t just save the forest and forget about the economic an industry created—because obviously human need those to carry on with their life. You also can’t create an industry without thinking about the social value it carries through the human being that’s surrounded themselves in it since the aim of economic growth is to improve human life. Lastly, once the social value with safe economic production achieved under the sustainable regulation, our mother nature will begin to heal itself and soon human will be able to live in a greener earth.”

Eungi parts her lips, she can’t believe that the kid that just answered her question is the same whiny kid that threatened her yesterday. Her bad image of him almost—almost—gone once he gave her the complete answer that explains the main purpose of the class they’re taking.

“I can’t explain it better myself.” She nods and writes down something on her note. “Thank you for the beautiful illustration of what this class is meant to do.”

Kyuhyun smiles proudly feeling rather satisfied with himself. Of course he knows the answer to that question, he’s been in the same class for the last three semesters and he feels like he can tackle the basic principles already.

Eungi continues the class with some more basic theory for the next one hour before she finally gives out the group assignment to do in the class. Some students come forward to her table, wishing they could change partner since their partner don’t show up. Lee Junsu also comes forward to plead her to be allowed to work on his own instead of being stuck with the senior he doesn’t know. She can’t allow the kids to change partner, bus she decided to add Junsu into one of the group that he feels more comfortable with and grants his wish not to be paired up with Kyuhyun—since Kyuhyun also wished to work on his own.

Two hours later the kids have come up with some sketches and blue print of their early design. Eungi asks them come to her table one group at a time so she can examine their concepts closely and gives revision where it needed. Most of the concept are so basic and she feels like she really needs to lift up their spirit of inventing something new, because some students aren’t too inspired. It takes longer than she expected to proceed with this assisting technique and she’s running out of time once the buff student—which she now points as the head of the class—reminds her that it’s lunch time already.

“Fine, turns out I can’t assist all groups today so I’ll continue next week. I want you to collect your drawing and concept and put in here.” She points her desk. “Class dismissed.”

Moments later the students crowd her desk to put their drawings before they take their belongings and leave the class. Eungi quickly scans the pages from her student’s drawing and she stops on one particular page that interest her. The drawing, the concept, the innovation displayed on the paper is completely out of the box and she’s intrigued to look at it further. She flips the paper and gets the third surprise from Cho Kyuhyun.

“If he’s this good, why he hasn’t pass the class yet?” She mumbles to herself.

Kyuhyun was just about to leave the classroom when his professor calls his name and asks him to stay. He lets all of his classmates go out before he approaches her table.

“What honor do I have, noona? Do you miss me already?”

“Don’t call me that.” she shots him with her glare, “Not in class.”

“So we can be friendly outside the class?” He grins and steps even closer to her.

“Not friendly, just casual. I never mind my students calling me noona or oenni anyway since it also makes me feel better about my age.” She shrugs her shoulders. “I want to talk about this.” She lifts Kyuhyun’s drawing and gives the paper to him.

“What about it?” He takes his paper and looks at his own drawing.

“Did you come up with that idea yourself?”

He nods.

“Is it really your drawing?”

He nods again.

Eungi tries to give him her intimidating stare. “Really?”

He slams his hand onto her desk and lowers himself so he can look at her in the same level. “You underestimated me.”

Eungi shakes her head, “I’m giving you the benefit of the doubts. I’m sorry if you’re offended but I just can’t see why you’d be like this” she runs her hands in the air in front of him, “If you have skills like this.” She points the paper with her finger.

“Shall I prove it to you?” The way she looks down on him has woken up the ego inside him.

She takes a quick look at her watch and nods, “I have time in the afternoon if you wish to proceed with it. Please amaze me.”

 

*

 

In the afternoon, Eungi and Kyuhyun are sitting in the café they met yesterday, only this time they pick a bigger table so Kyuhyun can draw the quiz Eungi gave him freely while she takes the silent moment to re-read her abstract for her next paper.

Once in a while she will take her attention from her laptop to the man in front of her that’s now pouring out his focus onto an A3 size piece of paper to draw a simple blue print from a building Eungi asked him to recreate. She needs to know if Kyuhyun really have the awesome on point drawing skills that he showed on his task earlier before she continues with his concept ideas.

Eungi runs her gaze slowly to Kyuhyun, she begins from his messy hair that she knows took time to be arranged like that, her gaze continues to his eyes that’s now focusing on the paper in front of him, to his sharp nose, then his lips that’s now shut close since he’s concentrating and her gaze ends at his masculine jawline that fames his handsome face perfectly.

“Careful, noona. If you stare longer at me, you might fall in love with me.” Kyuhyun notices that she’s been staring at him closely and he secretly enjoys the attention.

Eungi takes her gaze away from him and drink her second cup of black coffee instead.

Kyuhyun gets up from his chair and rounds the table to stand behind her chair before he bends his back and leans closer to his professor so his chest is brushing with her back.

“Here is it. My drawing.” His long arm frames Eungi from her right side and he almost whispering next to her ear when he talks.

She feels like her heart just stop beating for a few second until she gains back her conscience. She turns her head to her right and finds Kyuhyun’s face is only inches apart from hers.

“Do you mind?” She lifts her eyebrow and tries her best to look calm but Kyuhyun notices her blushing cheeks.

Bingo.

“Ey, Kyosu-nim, what are you thinking?” He pats her shoulder with his left hand, “I’m your student.” He chuckles as he continues teasing her. “You weren’t thinking that I’ll kiss you or something right?”

Eungi’s aware that he’s playing with her and she thinks it’s about time to show him who’s the boss here.

“You smell Kyuhyun-ssi, so please stay in the proper proximity.” She turns her attention back to the paper Kyuhyun just gave her.

As confident as he is, Kyuhyun fells a bit insecure with her words and he begins to smell himself. “Ya! I’m not smelly, I put on a great amount of good perfume on my jacket.”

“You smell like an ajjushi.” She replies without looking at him.

Kyuhyun can feel his own face heats up once she insulted him. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter