one

One Last Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Cha Eungi runs along the pavement as she cursing herself for nodded off in the bus and let her morning commute took her two stops further than where she’s supposed to be. She had another all-nighter last night since she involves herself in the big green design project that’s supposed to be presented in Denmark next month, which to her seems like a blessing because that means she has a great excuse to focus herself into something other than her nightmare.

It’s the beginning of a new semester in the cold mid-January. Most students are trying to come as early as possible to find their new classes and chit chat about the winter break they had to one another. The first day aren’t only tense for the kids, the lectures are also nervous for welcoming new faces in their class and usually the first impression really counts, so both parties sure are trying their best not to stand out too much in their first day.

Being late one the first day is not an option for her, with that thought in mind she runs faster towards Kyunghee University where she just accepted to be one of their professors in the architecture and design department.

Once she set her foot on the campus ground she immediately goes to the far east side to get into her department. The head of department has to see her first to introduced her around before she could actually go into her classroom. With those schedule awaits, she only has 30 minutes to spare.

“Anyong.. haseyo.. Chaaa.. Eungi.. im.. nida.” She knocks on the main door of the Design department and greet the receptionist in front. She just climbed up four floors by the stairs since the elevator was full with students.

The woman that looks like she’s in her mid-forties lifts up her head and stands up, “Ah, iye. You’re the new lecturer aren’t you?”

“Ne.” She bows one more time.

“My name is Lee Hana, I’m the administrative secretary here. Let me take you to Professor Hwang.” She steps out from her cubicle and gesture Eungi to follow her inside.

She follows inside and takes her moment to take a quick glance of her future office. The ambience in the working place is dark and stuffy which is ironic for an architecture and design department, this place obviously need a lot of makeover especially in terms of lighting and arrangement.

“Professor Hwang, this is the new lecturer that you’re expecting.” Lee Hana opens the door wider so Eungi can enter freely.

“Ah okay, thank you Ms. Lee.” He gets up from his working chair and offers Eungi to sit down on the chair in front of his desk.

“Anyeonghaseyo Professor Hwang.” She bows ninety degrees, “I’m so sorry for being late in the first day, I should not give you any excuse.”

He takes a look in his wrist watch and smiles, “Aniyo, we still have twenty minutes until the class start. Please have a seat.”

Eungi pulls the chair in front of him and sits uncomfortably.

“I’m a big fan of your latest research in the green panel usage to reduce heating in office building. I think that’s one of the reason why I suggested your name into the department. It’s surprising for me that you accepted the offer.” He fixes the position of his square glasses on his nose.

Eungi smiles politely, “Yes, that last research was quite a big thing for me too, thank you very much for noticing.”

“It’s the one that gives you the big title wasn’t it?” He crosses his hand on his desk then slide his chair closer to observe Eungi. “A professor and you’re barely thirty.”

“I’m thirty-one, Professor.” She corrects him politely, “It’s really an honor to be able to work here, thank you for the opportunity.”

“The honor is ours.” He places his palm on his chest and smiles sincerely. “Let me introduce you around the office so you can go to your first class sooner.” He gets up and Eungi follow him to enter the dark and stuffy area she passed on earlier.

The grey haired man takes her into the middle point of the area and claps his hands to get everyone attention. Those people who are already in their own cubicles now lift their head one by one and arise.

“Dear all, today we have an honor to welcome a new professor in our department. Her name is Cha Eungi.” He points to Eungi with his hand.

Eungi bows, “Anyeonghaseyo. My name is Cha Eungi, please look after me and I’ll do my best in this university.”

“Her presence here will lift up our university rating in the design department since she’s the one that holds the patent to the eco-panel that won her the big title.” Professor Hwang continues his introduction, “Let’s all welcome her and create a friendly working environment.” He claps his hands as a cue to the rest of the lecturers to follow clapping their hands to welcome Eungi.

“Thank you.”

She runs her eyes along her new colleagues one by one and as she expected, she gets the same looks she always gets whenever she’s being introduced for her achievements. Some of them cringe their faces, some of the older woman looks at her from head to toe—with the judging look—and some of the man are actually smirking with annoying erted look in their eyes.

Blessed with great posture and natural beauty has made it hard for her to find a real friend—the girls hate her for looking so perfect and most of the boys have other means when they’re close to her. As if she’s not already good enough, Cha Eungi also blessed the brightest brain amongst child her age.

During elementary school, her teacher suggested her guardian to skip one level up because she’s too far ahead from the other kids. This led on the rest of her education history, she finished high school by the time she was 16 and offered several scholarships from the prestigious universities in South Korea. After she finished her bachelor degree, her professor encourages her to continue her early research in green design further and sent her abroad to Netherlands to pursue the matter from the pro. She got offered a position as soon as she holds her master degree and she moved to Copenhagen to make green design her specification as her doctoral reseach. By the time she’s thirty, she’s given a PhD and a year later her research awarded her with the title professor.

She always says to herself that she’s not the smartest one—she’s tenacious one instead, and she’s the only on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter