Tenth Page: I Loved Her

Pen and Paper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Moon Byul Yi, enough, it's your fifth cup already, think about your weight for a while, now." Byul just smirked at her friend who tries his best to hold her juice drinking to a limit. Right after practice, the friends went to Arca, a food park near their house. It was huge, and there are tons of people eating. There are many choices as well, but Byul decided to go Italian. She bought mozzarella sticks, a pan of pizza and a large bowl of blue lemonade.

"I don't get drunk, and it's easier to lose weight. I'm an athlete." She started to spin the straw. "Lee Chan Dong. I'm very disappointed."

"At me?" He asked, oblivious to the statement.

She groaned and rolled her eyes. "Please, you were there earlier. You saw everything."

He shrugged. "Well, it is disappointing." He stole a stick from her plate and he began eating. "Seriously though, that Krystal is a high key ."

"Yah, that you just called is our best friend's girlfriend." Byul rolled her eyes and grunted as she picked up a mozzarella stick and munched on it.

"Wow, you are such a balimbing*. Earlier on, you were dissing the girl and now you're defending him? Tsk tsk." Chandong smirked and he pointed somewhere.

*Balimbing - a Filipino term used to refer to people who switch sides too easily

"What's that?" Byul asked, staring at the direction he pointed out. "Oh? Is that our uniform?" She asked, noticing the pair's polo. Her eyes widened when she realized the  duo. "Isn't that -- Yuna and Seokmin? Are they dating?!"

Chandong shook his head and smiled a little. "Yuna and Seokmin got the nicknames as  your inheritors." He smiled shyly. "Because Yuna is somehow an iron lady. Kind of like you. And Seokmin is Minhyuk's right hand-man. But Seokmin is weak against Yuna's orders. Kind of like you and Hyukkie. You and Hyukkie are pen and paper. One would not be perfect without the other. There are states wherein you wouldn't need each other." He smiled a small smile. "But Byullie-ya, without the other, you'd be just a strange pen with nothing to write on. I think that works the same with Hyukkie. Without you, he's going to be a paper without anything within."

Byul looked at Chandong as she slowly sliced the pizza and changed the topic. "Eat up. It's on me."

"Liar. I bought the drink."

"Uh-huh, but the sticks are on me."

"So the pizza is on you, too?"

Byul shook her head. "Nah, it's on you."

Chandong pouted and murmured, "You just said it's on you then suddenly it's on me."

"Do you have any complaints?"

"Ma'am no ma'am."

She pat his head and just smiled it off. "Good. Let's eat?"

Chandong nodded and grabbed his slice. He glanced at the girl next to him. He always wondered on what was going on in her head. Ordinary girls are strange, but solving Byul was like solving a definite integral without knowing whether to use the u-substitution or not. "Ah, now that I think about it, Byullie, can you teach me u-substitution? I hate it."

She rolled her eyes. "That's literally the easiest thing since calculus!" She chewed on her food. "Ah, I have to talk to Yuna about this, too."

***

Minhyuk knocked on Bogum's front door thrice. "Bogummy, are you here?" After his confrontation with Byul, he went to Bogum's house to find someone to talk to. The house is a big apartment building. Around 3 to seven families live here and the guy he was looking for is probably sleeping. He knows that Bogum's parents are legally separated, but he's in his father's custody and the father is usually not around during the weekdays, so he's aware that Bogum is staying alone. A person opened the door behind him, so he turned around. "Hyeri?" He asked, then he smiled. "You live here, too?"

She nodded and she noticed his hand clutched on the door. "Bogum is asleep." She said, gently.

"Is he?" He looked back at the door. He glanced back at her and said, "Well, maybe I can tell him that tomorrow."

"Did you drop Krystal off?"

He nodded. "I didn't know many of you live here."

"Joohyuk-ie lives here, too." She glanced at his uniform. It was messy. The kind of messy that you wouldn't usually see on someone who just started dating. It was that kind of frustrated-messy. "You need someone to talk to?" She offered. "I'm going to wait for my brother in the bus stop. We can talk there."

"That would be fun." The two left the complex and they began to walk to the bus stop. "May I just ask? What's the threat? I mean, the ghost writer threat?"

She looked up at him and she looked back straight. "My brother is dating the discipline office protégée, Yuna." She smiled. "I actually don't know if I should be telling you this, though."

"It's fine. Byul's the only one who put up dating bounds within the discipline committee."

"I can see why."

"Byullie is smart."

"If you know she's smart, then why didn't you take her side?"

Minhyuk stopped and his eyes went wide. "How--?"

"Word in school spreads like wildfire, Hyukkie." She smiled sadly and walked with his pace. He caught up to her and they walked through the street lightened by a few lanterns. "I was wondering why you didn't take her side."

"You've reached the state wherein you don't listen to understand." She put down her bow and she glanced at him, finally making eye contact. "You want to listen because you want to answer back and complain." He remembered Byul, speaking those words. Those words pierced through his heart, mak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter