The Missing Piece

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seolhyun listened as the shower finally went off and huffed her way around the room, gathering the shower supplies. She didn’t politely wait for Hyejeong to leave the bathroom, oh hell no. She stood outside the bathroom door, which had steam escaping from the crack at the bottom, with a trained scowl and waited.

Still waiting.

The door swung open to a perfect female body emerging from a billow of hot fog. Her dark hair was loose and wet and framed her face in a haphazard way that managed to look y despite the fact that she probably shook it out like a cat before opening the door, and of course she’s wearing nothing but a towel.

Let’s kill Seolhyun now.

She peeked into the bathroom, totally pissed, and blocked her exit with her body. “A forty-minute shower? What the hell?”

A smile pulled at the corners of Hyejeong’s mouth. “I was dirty.”

“I swear to God,” Seolhyun said, “if I have to take another second–”

“You shouldn’t swear to God, Seolhyun.” Hyejeong brought her face close to hers and the steam from her skin dampened Seolhyun’s nose and cheeks. “It’s not nice.”

This close up, Hyejeong’s eyes slid to Seolhyun’s mouth for a moment, a split second, and there it was. The electricity. The heat. The burning sensation.

Seolhyun couldn’t help but curl her lip.

Hyejeong snapped her eyes away and pulled back. The damp heat from her body pulled away as well, and some stupid, demanding part of Seolhyun whined in protest. “Now, if you will excuse me...” She waited for Seolhyun to move out of her way.

But she didn’t.

Cupping Seolhyun’s upper arms, Hyejeong lifted her off the floor and moved her out of her way like she was light as a feather. Then she walked the ten paces speed across the room and disappeared outside without a look back.

***

Minutes later when Seolhyun came back from the shower, Hyejeong was already in bed, shortless and in just sleep shirt, sitting with her back against the wall, guitar in her lap. It was a scene most girls would have swooned over. She plucked a few strings before realizing Seolhyun was in the room.

“You’re all wet.”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes, ignoring. She tossed her balled-up clothes in the hamper and twisted her hair in her towel to squeeze some of the water out.

“Not the kind of nightwear I was picturing, though, but it’ll do.” Hyejeong chuckled, pointing with her chin.

Seolhyun looked down at her oversized t-shirt and shorts. She had thought twice about wearing a tank top and boy shorts, which normally she would have, given the temperature. However, she had left her bra on so her n*p*les wouldn’t show through the thin material.

“Are you one of those douches with a guitar, or can you really play?” She tried to keep her eyes on the guitar and not on Hyejeong’s bare legs.

“I only play if you’re a paying customer. Although I’d take a trade instead of money.”

Why had Seolhyun even asked? She’d been trying to break the ice, but Hyejeong didn’t seem to want to. She went to her dresser and found a lollipop that she passed at her. “There. Now play.” Seolhyun sat down on her bed and faced her.

“What do you want?”

“Anything, except ‘I’m Jelly Baby’.”

Hyejeong burst into laughter. “Oh my God, someone must have changed my ringtone.”

“It must be your girlfriend.”

“Why, Seolhyun? Are you being jelly right now?”

“Shut up.”

Then the song emerged from her fingers, slow and haunting. Seolhyun sat back against her pillows, getting lost in the music. She hated to admit it, but Hyejeong played very well that could make CNBLUE’s guitarist go to studio and cry and postpone the release date of the comeback album.

She finished the song with perfection and looked up at Seolhyun. “Singing is extra,” she said.

“You can sing, you can play the guitar, gosh, what can’t you do?”

“I’m very good at a lot of things. If you want to come over here, I can show you a few more,” Hyejeong smirked in winning, laying the guitar back in the case. Seolhyun’s throat suddenly went dry, and she had to swallow. Her comments had been different when they were fully clothed and with a group of people.

Seolhyun sat up. There was something about lying down that made her feel more vulnerable. “I’m not sorry for ing you.”

“I know you’re not. I’m not sorry you did either. Most girls bore me. You, Kim Seolhyun, do not bore me.”

“I’ll take it as a compliment. Thanks.”

“I'm not going to make a move on you, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

What?

“I never screw girls I like.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Wait, she liked me?

“Of course it does. All relationships end eventually, right? So why not end it before it begins and save yourself the trouble?”

“That’s a pretty ed up thinking, Hyejeong. What did your parents do to you?” In Seolhyun’s opinion, people like Hyejeong usually had deep-rooted daddy or mommy issues.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”

Seolhyun got up and put her phone in the charger, mostly so she could stop making eye contact with her. Normally, her nightly routine would involve putting in her retainer, slathering her face with moisturizer and putting on an eye mask, but there was no way in hell she was letting Hyejeong see any of that.

It was too intimate, too personal. Maybe tomorrow housing would be open to finding her another place, or maybe her cousin would change his mind. Seolhyun would simply tell them that she was uncomfortable living with Hyejeong. It would have been so much easier if she could have taken care of this like hours ago. Also, if Hyejeong hadn’t played that cheesy CNBLUE song.

Hyejeong clicked her lamp off, and they were left in almost total darkness. The only light came from the small lamp on Seolhyun’s dresser that she hadn’t turned off yet.

“Just to let you know, I talk in my sleep.” Hyejeong shifted on her bed and dropped something on the floor. It could only be one thing. “Also, I sleep .”

Seolhyun was the one who felt , though. She swore she could hear Hyejeong’s sheets rubbing against her skin.

She should have gotten some earplugs.

“Well, goodnight.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter