Expanding Fear

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Seolhyun opened her eyes again, rain had been smacking off the roof and thunder been rolling in the distance. Lightning struck somewhere nearby, filling the air with a fine current of electricity.

Her shoulder was pressed against something warm and hard. Turning her head, she felt the object rise up sharply and then slowly ease back down. It took Seolhyun a second to realize it was a chest her cheek was pressed into.

They were on the swing, Hyejeong’s arm around her waist keeping her securely pinned to her side.

Every inch of her body became aware of Hyejeong’s. How her thigh was molded to hers. The deep, even breaths moving her stomach under Seolhyun’s hand. How Hyejeong’s hand curved around her waist, her thumb moving, soothing circles at the hem of her shirt. Each circle inched the material up a little, exposing Seolhyun’s skin. She was hot and shivery.

Pushing up, Seolhyun looked into a pair of startling black eyes. “What... happened?”

“You passed out,” Hyejeong said, pulling her arm away from Seolhyun’s waist.

“I did?” She jerked back, putting distance between them as Seolhyun brushed her tangled hair out of her face.

Hyejeong nodded. “I guess the bear scared you. I had to carry you back.”

“All the way?” Dammit? “What... what happened to the bear?”

“The storm scared it. Lightning, I think.” Hyejeong frowned as she watched Seolhyun. “Are you feeling okay?”

Suddenly, a bright streak of light blinded them for a moment. Moments later, booming thunder overshadowed the rain. Hyejeong’s expression was cast in shadows.

Seolhyun shook her head. “The bear was scared of a storm?”

“I guess so.”

“We got lucky then,” She whispered, glancing down. She was drenched as was Hyejeong. The rain was coming down even harder, making it difficult to see more than a couple of feet off the porch, giving the sense they were in their own private world.

Hyejeong nudged Seolhyun’s knee with hers. “I think you may be stuck with me for a few more minutes.”

“I’m sure I look like a drowned cat.”

“You look fine. The wet look always works for you.”

Seolhyun scowled. “Now I know you’re lying.”

Hyejeong shifted beside her, and without a word, Seolhyun felt her fingers lift her chin. A crooked smile lifted her full lips. “I wouldn’t lie about what I thought.”

Seolhyun wished she had something clever to say, maybe even a little flirty, but Hyejeong’s intense stare sent any coherent thought scattering.

Confusion flashed in Hyejeong’s eyes as she leaned forward, her lips parting slightly. “I think I understand now.”

“Understand what?”

“I like to watch you blush.” Hyejeong’s voice barely above a murmur as her thumb traced circles on Seolhyun’s cheek.

Hyejeong lowered her head, resting her forehead against Seolhyun’s. They sat like that, the two of them, caught in something that hadn’t been there before. Seolhyun thought she stopped breathing. Her heart seemed to take several stuttered steps and then freeze, anticipation welling up through her, threatening to spill over in any given second.

Seolhyun didn’t even like her. Hyejeong didn’t like Seolhyun. This was insane, but it was happening.

Lightning struck again, this time much closer. The following snap of thunder didn’t even startle them. Hyejeong’s eyes were confused and desperate, but still searching hers. Time seemed to slow, every second stretching out before Seolhyun, tantalizing and torturing every breath she took. Waiting, wanting to show Hyejeong whatever she was looking for as her eyes darkened to a deepest color. Something in her eyes made Seolhyun feel very unsure.

She knew the second Hyejeong made up her mind. She took a deep breath and her beautiful eyes closed. Seolhyun felt Hyejeong’s breath against her cheek, slowly moving to her lips. She knew she should pull back. Hyejeong was bad, bad news. But her own breath caught in . Hyejeong’s lips were so close to hers, Seolhyun desperately wanted to meet her halfway, to rush forward to test if her lips were as pillow soft as they looked.

“Hey guys!” Mina called out.

Hyejeong jerked back, sliding in one fluid movement and putting a distance between them on the swing.

Seolhyun in a sharp breath, surprise and disappointment churning in her stomach. Her body was still tingling as if it had been deprived of oxygen. They had been so absorbed in each other, neither of them had noticed the rain had stopped.

Mina came up the steps, her smile fading as her gaze went from her sister to Seolhyun. She squinted her eyes. Seolhyun was sure her face was blood red, making it obvious that Mina had interrupted something. But she only stared at her sister, her lips forming a perfect, pouty ‘O’.

Hyejeong grinned at her. The same slow, y grin that gave the impression that she was secretly laughing. “Hey, there, sis. What’s up?”

“Nothing,” Mina said, eyes narrowing. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” her sister replied, jumping from the swing. Hyejeong glanced at Seolhyun over one broad shoulder. “Just hoping something.”

Her words whipped through the pleasant haze as she hopped off the porch and walked toward her own house. Seolhyun glanced at Mina, wanting to chase after Hyejeong and dropkick her. “Was almost kissing me a part of the deal to get her keys back or to keep you happy?” Her voice was tight. Her skin hurt.

Mina sat beside Seolhyun on the swing. “No. That was never a part of the deal.” She blinked slowly. “Was she about to kiss you?”

Seolhyun felt her cheeks burn even hotter. “I don’t know.”

“Wow,” she murmured, her eyes wide. “That was unexpected.”

And this was awkward. Seolhyun didn’t want to even think about what would’ve happened if Mina hadn’t showed, and definitely not while she was sitting there. “Uh, you went to visit family?”

“Yeah, I had to before school started. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to tell you. It kind of happened all of a sudden.” Mina paused. “What were you and Hyejeong doing earlier... before the almost-kissing part?”

“We went on a walk. That’s all.”

“That’s odd,” she continued, watching Seolhyun closely. “I had to steal her keys, but she got them back.”

Seolhyun’s face scrunched. “Yeah, thanks for that, by the way. There’s nothing like a girl being blackmailed into hanging out with you to boost the self-esteem.”

“Oh, no! It wasn’t like that at all! I thought she needed... motivation to be nicer.”

“She must really value her car,” Seolhyun muttered.

“Yeah... she does. Has she been spending a lot of time with you while I was gone?”

“We went to the lake, and then just today. That’s all.”

A curious look crossed Mina’s features, and then she smiled. “Did you guys have a good time?”

Unsure of how to answer, Seolhyun shrugged. “Yeah, she was actually pretty decent. I mean, she has her moments, but it wasn’t all bad.”

“Hyejeong can be nice when she wants.” Mina pushed back on the swing, using one foot on the floor to keep it moving. “Where did you guys go for a walk?”

“We followed one of the trails and talked, but then we saw a bear.”

“A bear?” Her eyes widened. “Holy crap, what happened?’

“Uh, I sort of passed out or something.”

Mina stared at her. “You passed out?”

Seolhyun flushed. “Yeah, Hyejeong carried me back to the porch and yeah, well, the rest is whatever.”

She was watching her closely again, curious. Then she shook her head. Changing the subject, she asked if she’d missed anything else while she was gone. Seolhyun filled her in while her mind was completely elsewhere.

Long after Seolhyun had gone inside and pulled on a pair of sweats, she was still confused over Hyejeong. She had seemed almost likeable during their hike before flashing back to Super Jerk. Flushing and frustrated, she flopped on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

Worse yet was the knowledge that she had wanted Hyejeong to kiss her. Like and lust must not have anything in common.

***

The sun had set when Hyejeong’s bedroom door burst open and Mina whirled in like a tornado, dark hair streaming from behind her and eyes gleaming with excitement. “What in the world did I interrupt?”

Hyejeong closed the lid on her Mac before Mina could see what she was looking at. “You’re back from the colony early.”

She danced over to the bed, rising up on the tips of her toes. “Not like that’s really important, but if you must know, I think Jungshin was just getting super annoyed with me and decided to let me leave.” She paused, grinning mischievously. “Plus, they’re having some kind of dinner reception for the females who are getting married Tuesday night and I said I’d come back... with Chaeyeon.”

Hyejeong’s brows rose. “Uh, does she know that?”

“Yes. And

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter