Good for You, tho

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Seolhyun awoke the following morning, the sun had crested the mountains surrounding the valley. She really wasn’t on her side of the bed anymore.

Hell, she wasn’t on the bed.

Half of her body was sprawled across Hyejeong’s chest. Their legs were tangled together under the comforter. One of Hyejeong’s arms was around Seolhyun’s waist like a band of steel, and Seolhyun’s hand was on Hyejeong’s stomach. She could feel Hyejeong’s heart beating under her cheek, steady and strong.

There was something intimate about being wrapped around one another in a bed. Like lovers.

A sweet, hot fire washed over her skin, and she squeezed her eyes shut. Every inch of her was hyper-aware of Hyejeong. Of how her body fit against hers, the way Hyejeong’s thighs were pressed against hers, the hardness of her stomach under her hand.

Her hormones kicked in with the power of a dropkick to the stomach. For a moment, she pretended. Not that they weren’t two different species, because Seolhyun didn’t see Hyejeong that way, but that they actually liked one another.

And then Hyejeong shifted and rolled. Seolhyun was on her back, and Hyejeong was still on the move. Her face burrowed into the space between Seolhyun’s neck and shoulder, nuzzling. Holy crap... Warm breath danced over her skin, sending shivers down her body.

Hyejeong murmured in a language Seolhyun couldn’t understand. Whatever it was, it sounded beautiful and soft. Magical. Unearthly.

Seolhyun could’ve woken her up but for some reason she didn’t. The thrill of Hyejeong touching her was far stronger than anything else.

Hyejeong’s hand was on the edge of the borrowed shirt, her long fingers on the strip of exposed flesh between the hem of the shirt and the band of the worn pajama bottoms. And her hand inched up under the shirt, across Seolhyun’s stomach, where it dipped slightly.

Seolhyun’s pulse went into cardiac territory. The tips of Hyejeong’s fingers brushed her ribs. Her body moved, her knee pressed against her.

Seolhyun gasped.

Hyejeong stilled. No one moved. The clock on the wall ticked.

Then Hyejeong lifted her head. Beautiful eyes stared at Seolhyun in confusion. They quickly cleared, though, turning sharp and hard within seconds.

“Good morning?” Seolhyun squeaked.

Using her powerful arms, Hyejeong lifted herself up. Her eyes never left Seolhyun’s. She seemed to drag in a deep breath. Seolhyun wasn’t sure if she let it out. Something passed between them, unspoken and heavy.

Without saying a word, Hyejeong disappeared above her. The door opened and slammed shut behind her without Seolhyun’s eyes even catching a glimpse of her.

She stayed there, staring at the ceiling, heart pounding. Cheeks flushed, her body way, way too hot. Not sure of how much time passed, but the door opened again, at normal human speed.

Mina popped her head in, her eyes wide. “Did you two...?”

Funny that out of everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours, that was the first question she asked.

“No,” Seolhyun said, barely recognizing her own voice. She cleared . “I mean, we slept together, but not slept, slept together.” She rolled over, burying her face into a pillow. It smelled like Hyejeong, crisp and warm.

She groaned.

And there she was, sitting in a room with half a dozen aliens, legs tucked under her but ready to run for the door if necessary.

Hyejeong was perched on the arm of the recliner, arms folded over her chest. The very chest Seolhyun had woken up on. A flush crept up . They hadn’t spoken. Not a single word, which was okay by her, though.

But Hyejeong’s current position had been duly noted by everyone. Mina looked oddly smug. A deep, unforgiving scowl had settled on Chaeyeon’s and Yonghwa’s faces, but the fact Seolhyun was there overshadowed any reason why Hyejeong could be playing guard dog.

Mr. Lee had come up short. “What is she doing here?”

“She’s lit up like a freaking disco ball,” Chaeyeon said accusingly. “I could probably see her from Atthar.”

Somehow, Chaeyeon made the whole glowing thing sound like Seolhyun was covered in boils instead of light. She glared at her openly.

“She was with me last night when the Kloom attacked,” Hyejeong responded calmly. “You know that. Things got a little... explosive. There was no way I could cover what happened.”

Mr. Lee ran a hand through his brown hair. “Hyejeong, of all people, I expected you to know better, to be more careful.”

“What the hell was I supposed to do exactly? Knock her out before the Kloom attacked?”

Chaeyeon arched a brow. The look on her face said it wasn’t such a bad idea.

“Seolhyun has known about us since the beginning of school,” Hyejeong said. “And trust me when I say I did everything possible to keep her from knowing.”

One of the Jung boys in a sharp breath. “She’s known this entire time? How could you allow this, Hyejeong? All of our lives have been in the hands of some human?”

Mina rolled her eyes. “Obviously she hasn’t said a word, Yonghwa. Chill out.”

“Chill out?” Yonghwa’s scowl matched Chaeyeon’s perfectly. And now Seolhyun (finally) knew which one was Yonghwa, she could tell them apart. Yonghwa had an earring in the left ear. Minhyuk, who was quiet, did not. “She’s a stupid–”

“Be careful with what you say next.” Hyejeong’s voice was low but carried. “Because what you don’t know and what you can’t possibly understand will get a bolt of light in your face.”

Seolhyun’s eyes widened, as did pretty much everyone’s in the room. Chaeyeon swallowed thickly and turned her cheek, letting her reddish hair cover her face.

“Hyejeong,” Mr. Lee said, stepping forward. “Threatening one of your own for her? I didn’t expect this from you.”

Hyejeong’s shoulders stiffened. “It’s not like that.”

Seolhyun took a deep breath. “I’m not going to tell anyone about you guys. I know the risks to you and to me if I did. You all don’t have anything to worry about.”

“And who are you for us to trust?” Mr. Lee asked, his eyes narrowed on his student. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure you’re a great girl. You’re smart and you seem to have your head on straight, but this is life or death for us. Our freedom. Trusting a human is not something we can afford.”

“She saved my life last night,” Hyejeong said.

Yonghwa laughed. “Oh, come on, Hyejeong. The Kloom must’ve knocked you around. There is no way a human could’ve saved any of our lives.”

“What is it with you?” Seolhyun snapped, unable to stop herself. “You act like we’re incapable of doing anything. Sure, you guys are whatever, but that doesn’t mean we’re single-celled organisms.”

A choked laugh came from Minhyuk.

“She did save my life.” Hyejeong stood, drawing everyone’s attention. “There were three Kloom that attacked, the siblings of one I killed. I was able to destroy one, but the two overpowered me. They had me down and had already begun reaching for my powers.”

“Hyejeong,” Mina said, paling. “You didn’t tell us any of this.”

Mr. Lee still looked doubtful. “I don’t see how she could’ve helped. She’s a human. The Kloom are powerful, immoral, and vicious. How can one girl stand against them?”

“I gave her the Culpa blade I carry and told her to run.”

“You gave her the blade when you could’ve used it?” Chaeyeon sounded stunned. “Why?” Her eyes darted to Seolhyun. “You don’t even like her.”

“That may be the case, but I wasn’t going to let her die because I don’t like her.”

Seolhyun flinched. Wow. An ache started in her chest, like a burning coal, even though she didn’t care.

“But you could’ve been hurt,” Chaeyeon protested. Fear thickened her voice. “You could’ve been killed because you gave your best defense to her.”

Hyejeong sighed, sitting back down on the arm of the recliner. “I have other ways to defend myself. She did not. She didn’t run like I told her. Instead she came back and she killed the Kloom who was about to end me.”

Reluctant pride shone in Jonghyun’s eyes. “That is... admirable.”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes, starting to get a headache.

“It was a hell of a lot more than admirable,” Mina interjected, staring at her friend. “She didn’t have to do that. That has to account for more than being admirable.”

“It’s courageous,” Minhyuk said quietly, staring at the rug. “It is what any of us would’ve done.”

“But that doesn’t change the fact that she knows about us,” Yonghwa shot back, casting his twin a scornful look. “And we are forbidden from telling any human.”

“We didn’t tell her,” Mina said, stirring restlessly. “It kind of happened.”

“Oh, like it happened last time.” Yonghwa rolled his eyes as he turned to Jonghyun. “This is unbelievable.”

Mr. Lee Jonghyun shook his head. “After that weekend, you told me that something occurred but you took care of it.”

“What happened?” Chaeyeon asked, obvious this was the first she’d heard of anything. “You’re talking about the first time she was glowing?”

Seolhyun was like a glowing worm, apparently.

“What happened?” asked Minhyuk, sounding curious.

“I walked out in front of a truck.” Seolhyun waited for the inevitable ‘duh’ look, which she got.

Chaeyeon stared at Hyejeong, her blue eyes growing. “You stopped the truck?”

Hyejeong nodded.

A crestfallen look appeared on Chaeyeon’s face as she looked away. “Obviously that couldn’t be explained away. She’s known since then?”

Seolhyun figured this wasn’t the time to mention that she had her suspicions before then.

“She didn’t freak out,” Mina said. “She listened to us, understood why it’s important, and that’s it. Until last night, what we are hasn’t even been an issue.”

“But you lied to me, both of you.” Mr. Lee leaned against the wall, in a space between the TV and an overstocked bookcase. “How am I to trust you now?”

A dull, stabbing pain flared behind Seolhyun’s eyes.

“Look, I understand the risk. More than any of you in the room,” Hyejeong said, rubbing her chest where the Kloom had shoved his shadowy hand. “But what is done is done. We need to move forward.”

“As in contacting the AOE?” Yonghwa asked. “I’m sure they’d know what to do with her.”

“I’d like to see you try that, Yonghwa. Really I would, because even after last night, and I’m not yet fully charged, I could still kick your .”

Mr. Lee cleared his throat. “Hyejeong, threats aren’t necessary.”

“Aren’t they?” Hyejeong asked.

A heavy silence fell in the room. Seolhyun thought Minhyuk was on their side, but it was clear that Yonghwa and Chaeyeon weren’t. When Mr. Lee finally spoke, Seolhyun had a hard time meeting his gaze.

“I don’t think this is wise,” he said. “Not with what... with what happened before, but I’m not going to turn you over. Not unless you give me reason to. And maybe you won’t. I don’t know. What we are, what we can do, has to be protected at all costs. I think you understand that.” He paused, clearing his throat. “You’re safe, but we aren’t.”

Yonghwa and Chaeyeon looked less than thrilled by Mr. Lee’s decision, but they didn’t push it. Other than exchanging looks with one another, they moved on to how to deal with the last Kloom.

“He won’t wait. They’re not known for being patient,” Mr. Lee said again, sitting down on the couch. “I could contact the other Felix, but I’m not sure if that would be smart. Where we may be more confident in her, they won’t be.”

“And there’s the problem that she’s a megawatt light bulb right now,” Chaeyeon added. “It doesn’t even matter if we don’t say anything. The moment she goes anywhere in town, they are going to know that something big happened again.”

Seolhyun scowled at her.

“Any suggestions?” Hyejeong said. “Because the sooner she’s not carrying a trace, the better all of this is going to be.”

Yeah, because Seolhyun bet Hyejeong was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter