No Freaking Way

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejeong’s house became a war zone over the past couple of days.

She and Mina argued nonstop about the girl next door, and the words were just wasted time for Hyejeong, because Mina ultimately did what she wanted, no matter how brutally honest Hyejeong got about the kind of risks of befriending Seolhyun.

Message received: [U want company today?]

Glancing down at her phone as Hyejeong tugged a pair of jeans on over the swim piece, she was at once grateful that Chayeon knew better than to just show up at her house announced. If she found her heading off to the lake with Seolhyun, she would go off like a nuclear rocket.

It was because Hyejeong had never taken Chaeyeon to the lake when they had dated. The lake had been a sanctuary for just Mina, Youkyung, and her since they moved there. Part of Hyejeong couldn’t even believe that was the plan she had come up with to spend the day with Seolhyun. Thinking with the wrong head, most likely.

The truth was, some of Hyejeong’s favorite damn shirts (one of them was a gift from AOA Cream Showcase) had turned up missing. She had a strong suspicion it was Mina. So about the plans... it wasn’t true. No car keys missing. was moving faster than her brain.

Hyejeong reached down, sending a quick text back.

[Can’t.]

Chaeyeon’s response was immediate.

Message received: [What are u doing?]

[Got stuff to do.]

Walking over to her closet to grab a shirt, Hyejeong smiled slightly when she saw her response.

Message received: [So? I’m bored. Entertain me.]

[Can’t.]

Hyejeong had made it downstairs before Chaeyeon replied.

Message received: [You .]

[We have that in common then]

Message received: [U R an . Whatever. Go do ur STUFF.]

Hyejeong wasn’t sure how today was going to end, either. Maybe she would get lucky and discover something about Seolhyun that... Whatever, she had no idea, but damn she was hopeful.

Leaving her phone on the counter, Hyejeong just didn’t worry about Chaeyeon’s rant. She left the house, heading toward Seolhyun’s.

***

9:48 a.m.

After taking a calming breath, Seolhyun stumbled over her own feet to get to the door. Hyejeong stood with a towel thrown casually over her shoulder.

“I’m a little early.”

“Change your mind?” Seolhyun said, voice flat.

Hyejeong raised two brows. “No.”

Seolhyun stared at her. “Just give me a second to grab my stuff.”

She didn’t wait for her reply. She swung the door shut in Hyejeong’s face. It was childish, but she felt like she had scored a small victory. Seolhyun went to the kitchen and grabbed her sneakers and stuff before returning and opening the door again.

Nervous excitement fluttered in her belly as Seolhyun locked the front door and followed Hyejeong down the driveway. “Okay, so where are you taking me?”

“What fun would it be if you knew?” Hyejeong asked. “You won’t be surprised then.”

“I’m new to town, remember? Everywhere is going to be a surprise for me.”

“Then why ask?”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes. “We aren’t driving?

Hyejeong laughed. “No. You can’t drive there. It’s not a well-known spot. Most locals don’t even know about it.”

“Oh, I’m special then.”

“You know what I think, Seolhyun?”

She peeked at Hyejeong and caught her watching her with such serious intensity. She flushed. “I’m pretty sure I don’t want to know.”

“I think my sister finds you very special. I’m starting to wonder if she’s onto something.”

Seolhyun smirked. “But then there’s all kinds of special now, isn’t there, Hyejeong.”

Hyejeong seemed startled to hear her name. She liked the sound of her name on Seolhyun’s tongue. Looking away, Hyejeong exhaled slowly as she led her across the main highway and into the dense tree line on the other side of the road.

“Are you taking me out to the woods as a trick?” Seolhyun asked, half serious.

Hyejeong glanced over her shoulder, “And what would I do out here to you?”

Seolhyun shivered. “The possibilities are endless.”

“Aren’t they?” Hyejeong made her way easily around the thick brush and vines tangled together on the floor of the woods.

Meanwhile, Seolhyun was having a hell of a time not breaking her neck on the many exposed roots and moss-covered rocks. “Can we pretend we did this?”

“Trust me, I don’t want to be doing this either.” Hyejeong jumped over a fallen tree. “But ing about it isn’t going to make it any easier.” Turning around, Hyejeong offered Seolhyun her hand.

Seolhyun briefly considered ignoring it, but she placed her hand in Hyejeong’s. Static passed from her skin to hers. She bit down on her lip as Hyejeong helped her over the downed tree before dropping her hand. “Thank you.”

Hyejeong looked away and continued walking. “Are you excited about school?”

What? She cares? “It’s not exciting being the newbie. You know, the whole attention. Not fun.”

“I can see that.”

“You can?”

“Yeah, I can. We only have a little bit more to go.”

Seolhyun wanted to question her further, but why put the effort into it? Hyejeong would give her another vague answer. “A little bit? How long have we been walking?”

“About twenty minutes, maybe a little longer. I told you it was fairly hidden.”

Following her over another uprooted tree, Seolhyun saw a clearing ahead beyond the trees.

There was a mocking curve to Hyejeong’s lips. “Welcome to our little piece of paradise.”

Ignoring her, Seolhyun walked into the clearing. She was amazed. “Wow. This place is beautiful.”

“It is.” Hyejeong stood next to her, one hand cupping her eyes against the glare from the sun bouncing off the smooth surface of the water.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter