#GoodLuck3rdWin

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Seolhyun returned to her house, everyone was gone except Jonghyun, who stayed to help... clean up after everything. Someone had removed Xiumin’s body, plus his car and Jimin’s. There were broken picture frames everywhere. The coffee table was scratched all to hell. Seolhyun had no idea how she was going to explain the broken window in the hallway upstairs.

But the spot where Minhyuk had fallen was worse.

Glistening liquid pooled in two spots. Jonghyun was trying to clean it up, but his hands were shaking, his jaw working. Seolhyun grabbed some towels from the linen closet and knelt beside him.

“I have this,” she whispered.

Jonghyun sat back, lifting his head and closing his eyes. He let out a staggered breath. “This should’ve never happened.”

Tears built in Seolhyun’s eyes as she sopped up what was left of Minhyuk. “I know.”

“They are all like my children. Now I’ve lost another, and for what? It doesn’t make sense.” His shoulders shook. “It never makes sense.”

“I’m sorry.” Wetness gathered on Seolhyun’s cheeks, and she wiped at her face with her shoulder. “This is my fault. He was trying to protect me.”

Jonghyun didn’t say anything for several minutes. Seolhyun worked at the spot, drenching two towels before he placed his hand on hers. “It’s not just your fault, Seolhyun. This was a world you stumbled into, one filled with treachery and greed. You weren’t prepared for it. Neither are any of them.”

Seolhyun lifted her head, blinking back tears. “I trusted Jimin when I should’ve trusted Hyejeong. I let this happen.”

Jonghyun twisted toward her, grasping her cheeks. “You cannot take on the full responsibility for this. You didn’t make the choices Jimin did.”

Seolhyun choked on a broken sob as grief tore through her. Jonghyun’s words didn’t ease the guilt, and he knew it. Then the strangest thing happened. He pulled her into his arms, and Seolhyun broke. Sobs racked her entire body. She pressed her head against his shoulder, her body shaking his, or maybe he was crying for his loss, too. Tears streaming down her face and a heart ripped apart. When her tears dried, her eyes were nearly swollen shut.

Jonghyun pulled back, pushing Seolhyun’s hair aside. “This isn’t the end of anything for you... for Hyejeong. This is just the beginning, and now you know what you’re truly up against. Don’t end up like Youkyung. Both of you are stronger than that.”

***

Seolhyun spent the rest of the night trying to hide what had gone down from her mom. Eventually, she needed to tell her. No doubt the satellites had picked up on what had happened the night before. And there was the issue that some of what Xiumin had said hadn’t made sense, a lingering feeling that the worst had yet to pass.

Waking the following Sunday morning only to eat leftover cake, Seolhyun went back to sleep to avoid the swamping darkness waiting for her. Guilt ate away at her, even in her sleep. She dreamed of Jimin and Minhyuk, even Xiumin.

So it was strange that when she did wake that evening, she took a shower, piled on some clothes, and left to go to the place haunting her dreams. Her mom was already gone, and Seolhyun had a vague recollection of hearing Dr. Park in the house earlier.

With the moon out, reflecting off the pristine surface, Seolhyun found her way to the lake easily. She stood by the frozen, flawless water, huddled down in her sweater and the scarf. Things were clearer there. Not less intense, but manageable. Minhyuk was dead, and eventually the AOE would come looking for Xiumin. And when they did, it would come back to her and to Hyejeong.

And she had killed. Not by her own hand, but she had led everyone down this road. People have died, innocent and those not so innocent. Hyejeong had been right, a life was a life. Enemy or not, there was blood on Seolhyun’s hands she couldn’t wash away, soaking through her skin and leaving a dark stain.

And every time she closed her eyes, she saw Minhyuk’s body. There was a tightness in her chest that would probably never go away.

Seolhyun wasn’t sure about going to school tomorrow. It seemed pointless after everything. She still had no clue who had betrayed Chanmi and Yuna, and there were more implants out there, watching her, watching all of them. An invisible clock had appeared, ticking away to her very own personal doomsday, and she had no one to blame but herself.

About a minute later, she felt a warm tingle dancing across her neck, and she couldn’t will her body to turn around. Why is she here? She had to hate her. So did Mina.

She could move so quietly like a cat when she wanted. Her body heat blanketed Seolhyun as she stopped directly behind her. “I knew you’d be here.” Hyejeong looked away, a muscle popping in her jaw. “It’s where I come when I need to think.”

Seolhyun said the first thing that came to mind. “How’s Mina?”

“She’ll survive,” Hyejeong said, eyes shadowed. “We need to talk.” She leaned forward before Seolhyun could respond. “Are you busy right now? Not sure if I’m interrupting. Staring at the lake can take a lot of concentration.”

Seolhyun couldn’t figure out anything from Hyejeong’s words or expression. “I’m not busy.”

Her ultra-bright gaze settled on her. “Then come back with me?”

Anxious energy built inside Seolhyun. Was Hyejeong going to kill her and stash her body? Drastic but probable after everything she’d caused. dried as they started back to Hyejeong’s house in silence. Seolhyun followed her inside, hands clammy and trembling.

“Hungry?” Hyejeong asked. “I haven’t eaten all day.”

“Yeah, a little.”

Hyejeong moved into the kitchen and pulled out a package of meat. Seolhyun sat at the table while Hyejeong made two ham and cheese sandwiches. She doubled up on the mustard on Seolhyun’s, knowing that was how Seolhyun liked it, and Seolhyun almost started bawling again right then. They ate in strained silence.

Finally, after Hyejeong had cleaned up, she stood. “Hyejeong, I–”

“Not yet,” she said. Drying her hands, she then walked out of the kitchen without answering her. Drawing in a deep breath, Seolhyun trailed after her.

When Hyejeong started up the steps, her pulse skyrocketed. “Why are we going upstairs?”

Hyejeong glanced over her shoulder. “Why not?”

“I don’t know. It’s just seems...”

Hyejeong went up the stairs, leaving Seolhyun no other choice. They passed Mina’s empty bedroom. It looked like a hell mess. There was another bedroom with the door closed. Seolhyun figured it had been Youkyung’s, probably untouched since she’d disappeared. Months had passed before her mom and her had moved any of her dad’s stuff.

“Where’s Mina?” she asked.

“She’s with Chaeyeon and Yonghwa. I think being with them is helping her.”

Seolhyun nodded. More than anything, she wanted to go back in time, to ask more questions, to not be so damn stupid.

Hyejeong opened a door, and Seolhyun’s heart flip-flopped. Stepping aside, she let Seolhyun brush past her. “Your room?”

“Yep. The best spot in the whole house.”

Hyejeong’s room was large, surprisingly clean and organized. A few band posters hung on the walls, which were painted a deep blue. All the blinds were down, curtains drawn. With a wave of her hand, a bedside lamp clicked on.

There were a lot of expensive electronics: a flat-screen TV, a Mac that sent a dose of envy through Seolhyun, a stereo system, and even a desktop. Seolhyun’s gaze went to her bed.

It was big.

And the blue down comforter looked comfy and inviting. Lots of room to roll around, or just to sleep. Nothing like her little-girl bed. Seolhyun forced her gaze away from the bed and walked over to the Mac. “Nice computer.”

“It is.” Hyejeong kicked off her shoes.

Seolhyun could barely breathe. “Hyejeong–” The bed springs creaked under her weight as Seolhyun ran her fingers over the lid of the Mac. “I am so sorry about everything. I shouldn’t have trusted her. I should’ve listened to you. I didn’t want anyone to get hurt.”

“Minhyuk didn’t get hurt. He died, Seolhyun.”

A lump formed in as Seolhyun turned to her. Hyejeong’s eyes glittered.

She shook her head as her gaze dropped to her open hands. She curled them into fists. “I know we don’t always get along, and I know the whole connection thing freaked you out, but you knew you could always trust me. The moment you suspected Jimin was with the AOE, you should’ve come to me.” Helplessness cracked her voice. “I could’ve prevented this.”

“I do trust you. With my life,” Seolhyun said, inching closer. “But once I thought she could possibly be involved with them, I didn’t want you involved. Jimin knew and suspected too much already.”

Hyejeong shook her head, as if she didn’t hear her. “I should’ve done more.”

Tears built in Seolhyun’s eyes. How could she still cry or think it would make any of this better? “I was trying to protect you.”

Hyejeong lifted her eyes, and they pierced straight through Seolhyun. “You wanted to keep me safe?”

“Yes.” Seolhyun swallowed past the lump in . “Not that it turned out that way in the end, but when I found out Jimin and Xiumin were related, all I could think was you. And she knew how close we were. They would do to you what they did to Youkyung. There is no way I could have lived with that.”

Closing her eyes, Hyejeong turned her head. “When did you know definitely that Jimin was working with the AOE?”

It was the second time Hyejeong had ever said Jimin’s name. That’s how serious things were. “Just exactly that night. Jimin showed up while I was sleeping, and I saw Joongki’s watch in her car. She says Joongki is still alive, that the AOE took him, but there, there was blood on his watch.”

Hyejeong cursed and then asked, “While you were sleeping? Did she do this often?”

Seolhyun shook her head. “Not that I know of.”

“You should’ve never been worried about me getting hurt.” Hyejeong stood, running both hands through her hair. “You know I can take care of myself. You know I can handle my own.”

“I know,” Seolhyun said. “But I wasn’t going to knowingly put you at risk. You mean too much to me.”

Hyejeong’s head swung toward her, eyes suddenly sharp. “And what does that mean, exactly?”

“I...” Seolhyun shook her head. “It doesn’t matter now.”

“The hell it doesn’t!” she said. “You nearly destroyed my family, Seolhyun. You almost got both of us killed, and none of this is over. Who knows how much time any of us have before the AOE comes? I let that bastard go. She’s still out there, and as terrible as this sounds, I hope she gets what’s coming to her before she can report back to anyone. Are you telling me all of this is because I mean something to you?”

Heated blood crept across Seolhyun’s face. “Hyejeong...”

“Answer me!”

“Fine!” Seolhyun threw her hands up in the air. “Yes, you mean something to me. What you had done for me, that made me...” Her voice cracked. “That made me happy. You made me happy. And I still care about you. Okay? You mean something to me, something I can’t really even put into words because everything seems too lame in comparison. I’ve always wanted you, even when I hated you. I want you even though you drive me freaking insane. And I know I screwed everything up. Not just for you and me, but for Mina.”

Seolhyun’s breath caught on a sob. The words rushed from her, one after another.

“And I never felt this way with anyone else. Like I’m falling every time I’m around you, like I can’t catch my breath, and I feel alive, not just standing around and letting my life walk past me. There’s been nothing like that with anyone else.” Tears pricked her eyes as Seolhyun stepped back. Her chest was swelling so fast it hurt. “But none of this matters, because I know you really hate me now. I understand that. I just wish I could go back and change everything! I–”

Hyejeong was suddenly in front of her, clasping Seolhyun’s cheeks in her warm hands. “I never hated you.”

Seolhyun blinked back the wetness gathering in her eyes. “But–”

“I don’t hate you, Seolhyun.” She stared intently into her eyes. “I’m mad at you, at myself. I’m so angry, I can taste it. I want to find Jimin and rearrange parts of her body. But do you know what I thought about all day yesterday? All night? The one single thought I couldn’t escape, no matter how pissed off I am at you?”

“No,” Seolhyun whispered.

“That I’m lucky, because the person I can’t get out of my head, the person who means more to me than I can stand, is still alive. She’s still there. And that’s you.”

A tear trailed down Seolhyun’s cheek. Hope spread through her so fast it left her dizzy and breathless. The feeling was like taking a step off the edge of a cliff without seeing how far the fall would be. Dangerous. Exhilarating.

Hyejeong’s thumb chased after a tear on Seolhyun’s cheek as she smiled slightly. “I don’t know what tomorrow is going to bring, what a year from now is going to be like. Hell, we may end up killing each other over something stupid next week. It’s a possibility. But all I do know is what I feel for you isn’t going anywhere.”

Hearing that only made Seolhyun cry harder.

Hyejeong tilted Seolhyun’s head, kissing the tears away until she caught each of them with her breath. Then her lips found hers and the room fell away. The whole world disappeared for those precious moments. Seolhyun wanted to throw herself into the kiss, but she couldn’t. She pulled away, dragging in air.

“How can you still want me?”

Hyejeong pressed her forehead against hers. “Oh, I still want to strangle you. But I’m insane. You’re crazy. Maybe that’s why. We just make crazy together.”

“That makes no sense.”

“It kind of does, to me at least.” She kissed her again. “It might have to do with the fact you finally admitted you’re deeply and inhumanly in love with me.”

Seolhyun let out a weak, shaky laugh. “I so did not admit that.”

“Not in so many words, but we both know it’s true. And I’m okay with it.”

“You are?” Seolhyun closed her eyes, breathing in what felt like the first real breath in hours. “It’s the same for you?”

Hyejeong’s answer was to kiss her, and to kiss her again. When she finally lifted her head, they were on her bed and Seolhyun was in her arms. She had no recollection of moving. That was how good Hyejeong’s kisses were.

Seolhyun had to wait until her heart slowed down. “This doesn’t change anything I’ve done. All of this is still my fault.”

Hyejeong was on her side beside Seolhyun, her hand on the material covering Seolhyun’s stomach. “It’s not all your fault. It’s all of ours. And we’re in this together. We’ll face whatever is waiting for us together.”

“Us?”

Hyejeong nodded, working on the buttons of Seolhyun’s sweater, laughing softly when she came to where they were buttoned incorrectly. “If there is anything, there is us.”

Seolhyun lifted her shoulders, and Hyejeong helped her shrug out of the sweater. “And what does ’us’ really mean?”

“You and me.” Hyejeong moved down, tugging off Seolhyun’s boots. “No one else.”

Blood pounded as Seolhyun yanked off her socks and lay back down. “I... I kind of like the sound of that.”

“Kind of?” Hyejeong’s hand was on her stomach, slipping down, moving under the hem of Seolhyun’s shirt. “Kind of isn’t good enough.” She lowered her head, kissing Seolhyun softly. “I bet you love that.”

Seolhyun’s lips curved into a smile against hers. “I do.”

Making a deep sound in the back of , Hyejeong trailed kisses over Seolhyun’s still-damp cheek that scalded her skin and lit a fire. They whispered to each other, the words slowly stitching together the aching hole in Seolhyun’s chest. She thought they were doing the same for Hyejeong.

Time stopped for them. The world and everything she’d been part of only existed outside the closed bedroom door, but in here, it was only them. And for the first time, there was nothing between them. They were open, vulnerable to each other. Pieces of their clothing disappeared. Hyejeong’s shirt. Seolhyun’s. A button came undone on her jeans, and on Seolhyun’s, too.

“You have no idea how badly I want this.” Hyejeong’s voice was rough against Seolhyun’s cheek. Raw. “I think I’ve actually dreamed about it.” The tips of her fingers drifte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter