Minute to Lose It

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Seolhyun did show up next door, at 6:34 pm, it sounded like World War III had erupted in the house. She had let herself in since no one answered the damn door.

“I can’t believe you ate all the ice cream, Hyejeong!”

Seolhyun cringed and stopped inside the dining room. There was no way she was going into that kitchen.

“I didn’t eat all of it.”

“Oh, so it ate itself?” Mina shrieked so loudly Seolhyun thought she heard the rafters in the ceiling shake. “Did the spoon eat it? Oh wait, I know. The freezer ate it.”

“Actually, I think the carton ate it,” Hyejeong responded dryly.

Seolhyun grinned. Turning, she went back into the living room and tiptoed around until she heard footfalls behind her.

Hyejeong lounged against the frame of the door that led from the dining room to the living room. Seolhyun slowly took her in. Hyejeong’s hair carelessly disheveled and the faint light from the lamp bouncing over high cheekbones. Her lips curved into a half smile, and even in the simple shirt and ripped jeans, she looked... well, beyond words.

She took up the whole room, and she wasn’t even in it. She’s that giant.

One eyebrow rose as she waited. “Seolhyun?”

Mentally kicking herself, Seolhyun looked away. “Did you get hit by an ice cream carton?”

“Yes.”

“Damn. And I missed that.”

“I’m sure Mina would love to do a replay for you.”

Seolhyun smiled a little at that.

“Oh, you think this is funny.” Mina burst into the living room, car keys in hand. “I should be making you go to the store and get me Samanco, but because I like Seolhyun and value her well-being, I’m going to get it myself.”

That would mean Seolhyun would be left alone... Oh hell to the no. “Can’t Hyejeong go?”

Hyejeong smiled at her.

“No. If the Kloom comes around, she’s only going to see your trace.” Mina grabbed her purse. “You need to be with Hyejeong. She’s stronger than me.”

Seolhyun’s shoulders fell. “Can’t I go next door?”

“You do realize your trace can be seen from the outside?” Hyejeong pushed out of the doorway. “It’s your funeral, though.”

“Hyejeong,” Mina snapped. “This is all your fault. My ice cream is not your ice cream.”

“Ice cream must be very important,” Seolhyun said.

“It is my life.” Mina swung her purse at Hyejeong but missed. “And you took it from me.”

Hyejeong rolled her eyes. “Just get going and come right back.”

“Yes, ma’am!” She saluted her. “You guys want anything?”

Seolhyun shook her head.

Hyejeong did the blinking out and reappearing thing. She was now beside Mina and pulled her in for a quick hug. “Be careful.”

There was no doubt in Seolhyun’s mind that Hyejeong loved and cherished her sister. She’d gladly give her life for her. The way she was always looking out for her was more than admirable. There wasn’t a good enough word for it. And it made Seolhyun wish she had a sibling.

“As always.” Mina smiled, gave Seolhyun a quick wave, and darted out the door.

“Wow. Remind me never to eat her ice cream.”

“If you do, even I wouldn’t be able to save you.” Hyejeong flashed a sardonic grin. “So, Seolhyun, if I’m going to be your babysitter for the evening, what’s in it for me?”

Seolhyun’s eyes immediately narrowed. “First off, I didn’t ask you to babysit me. And you made me come over here.”

Hyejeong tipped her head back and laughed. The sound sent shivers through Seolhyun. “Aren’t you feisty tonight?”

“You ain’t seen nothing yet.”

Still chuckling, Hyejeong turned toward the kitchen. “I can believe that. Never a dull moment when you’re around.” She paused. “Are you coming or not?”

Seolhyun took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “Going where?”

Hyejong pushed open the kitchen door. “I’m hungry.”

“Didn’t you just eat all of the ice cream?”

“Yeah, still hungry.”

“Good Lord, aliens can eat.” Seolhyun stayed put.

Hyejeong glanced over her broad shoulder. “I have this strong inclination that I need to keep an eye on you. Where I go, you go.” She waited for Seolhyun to move, and when she didn’t, her smile turned devilish. “Or I can forcibly move you.”

Ugh! “All right, let’s go.” She shuffled past her and plopped down in a seat at the table.

Hyejeong grabbed a plate of leftover chicken. “Want some?”

Seolhyun shook her head. Unlike them, she didn’t eat ten square meals a day (well, maybe eight, or nine).

Hyejeong was quiet as she moved around the kitchen. Since the night on the Rocks, they hadn’t been at each other’s throats. It wasn’t like they were getting along, but it seemed like an undeclared truce existed. Seolhyun had no idea what to do with her since they weren’t trying to tick each other off.

Resting her cheek on her palm, she had a hard time pulling her eyes off Hyejeong. She was broad and tall, but she moved like a dancing machine of Kpop idol. Each step was smooth and supple. Even the simplest movement looked like a form of art.

Then there was her face.

At that moment, Hyejeong peered up from her plate. “So how are you holding up?”

Seolhyun tore her eyes from her and focused on the plate of food that was already half eaten. How long had she been staring at Hyejeong? This was getting ridiculous. Did the trace turn me into a walking hormone? “I’m doing okay.”

Hyejeong took a bite of chicken and chewed slowly. “You are. You’ve accepted all of this. I’m surprised.”

“What did you think I’d do?”

Hyejeong shrugged. “With humans, the possibilities are endless.”

Seolhyun bit her lip. “Do you think that we are somehow weaker than you because we’re human?”

“It’s not that I think you’re weaker, I know you are.” Hyejeong eyed her over her glass of milk. “I’m not trying to be obnoxious by saying that. You are weaker than us.”

“Maybe physically but not mentally or... morally,” Seolhyun countered.

“Morally?” Hyejeong sounded confused.

“Yeah, like, I’m not going to tell the world about you guys to get money. And if I was captured by a Kloom, I wouldn’t bring them back to you all.”

“Wouldn’t you?”

Offended, Seolhyun leaned back and folded her arms. “No. I wouldn’t.”

“Even if your life was threatened?” Disbelief colored Hyejeong’s tone.

Shaking her head, Seolhyun laughed. “Just because I’m human doesn’t mean I’m a coward or unethical. I’d never do anything that would put Mina in danger. Why would my life be more valuable than hers? Now yours... debatable. But not Mina.”

Hyejeong stared at her for several seconds, then went back to her food. If Seolhyun was expecting an apology she wasn’t going to get one. Big surprise there.

“Can I ask you a question?”

Hyejeong nodded.

Seolhyun had so many questions she wasn’t sure which one to start with. “Do you guys believe in God?”

“He seems like a cool guy.”

She blinked, not sure whether to laugh at that or not. “Did you guys have a God?”

“I remember there was something like a church, but that’s all. The Elders don’t talk about any religion,” Hyejeong said. “Then again, we don’t see any elders.”

“What do you mean by ‘elders’?”

“The same thing you’d mean. An old person.”

Seolhyun made a face at her.

Hyejeong grinned. “Next question?”

“Why are you such an ?” The words came out before Seolhyun could think twice.

“Everyone has to excel at something, right?”

“Well, you’re doing a great job.”

Hyejeong’s eyes opened, meeting Seolhyun’s for a second before closing. “You do dislike me, don’t you?”

She hesitated. “I don’t dislike you, Hyejeong. It’s hard to figure you out.”

“So are you,” Hyejeong said, eyes closed, face relaxed. “You’ve accepted the impossible. You’re kind to my sister and to me, even though I admit I’ve been a jerk to you. You could’ve run right out of the house yesterday and told the world about us, but you didn’t. And you don’t put up with any of my crap,” she added with a soft laugh. “I like that about you.”

Whoa. Wait. “You like me?”

“Next question?” she said.

“Are you guys allowed to date people– humans?”

Hyejeong shrugged. “Allowed is a strange word. Does it happen? Yes. Is it advised? No. So we can, but what would be the point? Like I said. Not like we can have a lasting relationship when we have to hide what we are.”

“So, you guys are like us in other, uh, departments?”

Hyejeong sat up, arching a brow. “Come again?”

Seolhyun felt her cheeks flush. “You know, like ual– making love? I mean, you guys are all glowy and stuff. I don’t see how certain stuff would work.”

Hyejeong’s lips curled into a half smile, and that was the only warning she gave. Moving unbelievably fast, she was suddenly on Seolhyun’s back. “Are you asking if I’m attracted to human girls?” She asked, “Or are you asking if I’m attracted to you?”

Seolhyun’s eyes went wide and she gasped. A thousand images flashed. Thank God reading thoughts wasn’t one of Hyejeong’s alien powers. Such a strange thickness invaded the air around her, and this overwhelming yearning from deep inside sprung to life.

Oh yeah, certain stuff was definitely working.

“Next question?” she asked, voice deep and thick.

Seolhyun didn’t move. “You could’ve just told me, you know?”

“And what fun would there be in telling you?” She turned her head toward her. “Next question, Seolhyun?”

“So how long will it take for this trace to fade?” Seolhyun’s eyes went right back to her. Very annoyed.

Hyejeong’s eyes were intent and bright, the black hue seeming to burn through her. Back to her table, she took a long, healthy drink.

Seolhyun swallowed, throat dry.

“Probably a week or two, maybe less,” Hyejeong said, squinting. “It’s already starting to fade.”

It was weird that she was talking about this light around Seolhyun that she couldn’t see. “What do I look like? A giant light bulb or something?”

Hyejeong chuckled, shaking her head. “It’s a soft white glow that’s around your body, kind of like a halo.”

“Oh, well that’s not too bad. Are you done?” When Hyejeong nodded, Seolhyun grabbed her plate out of habit. Not to throw it at her, but mainly out of something to do. “At least I don’t look like a Christmas tree.”

“You look like the star atop the tree.” Hyejeong’s breath stirred the hair around Seolhyun’s cheek.

Gasping, she turned around.

Then Hyejeong stood directly behind her. Their bodies separated only by a foot or two. Placing her hands on the edge of the counter, Seolhyun dragged in a deep breath. “I hate it when you do that alien super-speed thing. You guys make Iron Man look lame.”

Hyejeong smiled. “Well, I’m not telling you what our Arc Reactor is.”

“Why not hand me over to the AOE?” Seolhyun blurted out.

Hyejeong took a step back, surprised. “What?”

She wished she hadn’t gone there, but she did, and there was no coming back from it. “Wouldn’t everything have been easier for you if you handed me over to the AOE? Then you wouldn’t have to worry about Mina or anything.”

Hyejeong stood in silence. The color of her eyes went up a notch, becoming brighter. Seolhyun wanted to take a step back, but there was nowhere to go.

Voice low, she said, “I don’t know, Seolhyun.”

“You don’t know? You risk everything and you don’t know why?”

“That’s what I said.”

She stared at her, bewildered by the fact that Hyejeong had put everything on the line and seemed to have no idea why. That was crazy to Seolhyun. Absurd. Admittedly, it was unnerving, because it could mean many things.

Things she didn’t dare acknowledge.

Hyejeong’s arms quickly shot out, landing heavily against the counter. Pops of muscle created a very successful trap, pinning Seolhyun in place without even touching. She lowered her head and dark waves spilled over her eyes. “Okay. I do know why.”

At first Seolhyun had no idea what she was talking about. “You do?”

Hyejeong nodded. “You wouldn’t survive a day without us.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Oh, I know.” Hyejeong tilted her head to the side. “Do you know how many Kloom I have faced? Hundreds. And there have been times I barely escaped. A human doesn’t stand a chance against them or the AOE.”

“Fine. Whatever. Can you move?”

Standing her ground, Hyejeong smiled. So exasperating. Seolhyun could either stand there, stare at h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter