Playing Nice

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Based on the ache in Seolhyun’s shoulder and the dirt and gravel embedded in her cheek, it wasn’t a beautiful, graceful fall.

She out and smacked the pavement before Hyejeong even had a chance to catch her. So unlike the heroes in the books, though.

Seolhyun was lying flat on the couch, presumably where Hyejeong laid her after carrying her inside her house. Mrs. Kim was standing over her daughter with a glass of water and Hyejeong was behind her, watching the aftermath of the most embarrassing moment of Seolhyun’s life.

“Sweetie, here, drink some water,” Mrs. Kim said, lifting the back of Seolhyun’s neck, pressing her toward the glass. She took a sip, then leaned back on the pillow and closed her eyes, hoping more than anything that she passed out again. “I’ll get you a cold rag.”

Seolhyun opened her eyes, hoping Hyejeong decided to sneak out once her mom left the room, but she’s still there. And she’s closer now. She kneeled down on the floor beside her and reached her hand to Seolhyun’s hair, pulling out what she assume was either dirt or gravel.

“That was a pretty nasty fall.” Hyejeong’s eyes were full of concern and she wiped something from Seolhyun’s cheek with her thumb, then rested her hand on the couch beside her.

“Oh, God,” Seolhyun sighed, covering her eyes with her arm. “I’m so sorry. This is so embarrassing.”

The concern in Hyejeong’s eyes eased and a playful grin took over her features. “I’m sort of enjoying it.”

Mrs. Kim made her way back into the living room. “Do you want something for the pain? Are you nauseous?” Rather than handing the rag to Seolhyun, she handed it to Hyejeong and walked back to the kitchen. “I might have some carrot soup.”

“Mother, seriously?”

“Joking. I’ll be back with beer.”

She must be fangirling Hyejeong so hard and got away with it.

Hyejeong gently placed the rag on Seolhyun’s cheek and wiped at it. “You might not be sore now, but you will be,” she said, too quiet for Mrs. Kim to hear her. She looked away from examining Seolhyun’s cheek and locked eyes with her. “You should take something, just in case.”

Seolhyun didn’t know why the suggestion sounded more appealing coming out of than her mom’s, but she nodded. And gulped. And held her breath. And squeezed her thighs together. And attempted to sit up, because her lying on the couch with Hyejeong hovering over her was about to make her faint again.

Seolhyun cleared . “Well, thank you. For this.”

“My lil sis does seem to like you,” Hyejeong said, as if she couldn’t figure out why.

Seolhyun tilted her head back but focused her gaze over Hyejeong’s shoulder. “Little? So you are the big sis or there’s someone else bigger?”

“There... was.” Hyejeong’s jaw clenched. “Well, practically Mina is the littlest.”

“She’s the baby in the family?”

“Yep, therefore I’m the one starved for attention.”

“I guess that explains your poor attitude then,” Seolhyun retorted.

“Maybe, but most people find me charming.”

Seolhyun started to respond, but made the mistake of looking into Hyejeong’s eyes. She was immediately blinded by the unnatural color, reminded of the purest, deepest parts of the sky at night.

Hyejeong’s lips curved slightly.

“What?”

“Seolhyun, you and I have plans to make.”

“What?” Seolhyun’s heart was pounding. “We don’t have any plans to make. Or you willing to join the gardening club?”

Hyejeong sat down, stretching out her long legs and leaning back on her elbow against the table. “Listen, about these plans–”

“What are you talking about?”

“This, the whole ‘playing nice’ thing with you, that also involves my car keys.”

“You need to give me a little more of an explanation about that.”

Hyejeong sighed. “Mina hid my keys. She’s good at hiding stuff, too. I’ve already torn the house apart, and I can’t find them.”

Lol, thank God I don’t have any siblings. “So, make her tell you where they are. Easy.”

“Oh, I would, if she was here. But she’s left town and won’t be back until Sunday.”

“What?” Mina had never mentioned going out of town that day. Or family nearby. “I didn’t know that.”

“It was a last-minute thing.” Hyejeong uncrossed her ankles and one finger started to tap an unheard rhythm. “And the only way she will tell me where the keys are hidden is by doing you–“

“Excuse me?”

“Sorry, I mean, the only way I can get my keys back is by doing something nice for you.”

Seolhyun busted out laughing. “I’m sorry, but this is kind of funny.”

Hyejeong drew in a deep, tired breath. “Yeah, it’s real funny.”

Seolhyun’s laughter faded. “What do you have to do?”

“I’m supposed to take you swimming tomorrow. If I do that, then she will tell me where my keys are hidden and also, I have to be nice.”

Hyejeong had to be kidding, but the longer Seolhyun stared at her, she realized she was being serious. dropped open. “So the only way you get your keys back is by taking me swimming and by being nice to me?”

“Wow. You’re a quick one.”

Seolhyun did laugh again. “Yeah, well, you can kiss your keys goodbye.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Because I’m not going anywhere with you.”

“Seolhyun, we don’t have a choice.”

“No. You don’t have a choice, but I do.” Seolhyun glanced at the kitchen, wondering if her mom (as usual) was somewhere trying to listen in. “I’m not the one with missing keys.”

Hyejeong watched her for a moment, and then she grinned. “You don’t want to hang out with me?”

“Uh, no.”

“Why not?”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes. “For starters, you’re a jerk.”

Hyejeong nodded. “I can be.”

“And I’m not spending time with someone who’s being forced to do it by her sister. I’m not that desperate.”

“You’re not?”

“Hyejeong, you can go home now.”

She seemed to consider it. “No.”

“What do you mean no?”

“I’m not leaving until you agree to go swimming with me.”

Steam should be coming out of Seolhyun’s ears. “Fine. You can sit there, because I’d rather eat carrots than spend time with you.”

Hyejeong laughed. “That sounds drastic.”

“Not nearly,” Seolhyun shot back, heading to the kitchen.

Hyejeong twisted around, catching Seolhyun’s ankle. Her grip was loose, her hand incredibly warm. Seolhyun looked down at her, and she smiled at her, as innocent as an angel. “I’ll sit here all day and night. I’ll camp out on your porch. And I won’t leave. Either get it over with tomorrow and be done with me, or I’ll be right here until you do agree. You won’t be able to leave the house.”

Seolhyun squinted her eyes at her. “You can’t be serious.”

“Oh, I am.”

“Just tell Mina we went and that I had a great time.” Seolhyun tried to pull her foot free, but Hyejeong held on.

“She will know if I’m lying. We just know these things.” Hyejeong paused. “Or are you too shy to go swimming with me? Does the idea of getting almost around me make you uncomfortable?”

Seolhyun yanked on her foot. The Satan was only lightly holding her, but her foot wouldn’t budge. “I’m from Seoul, idiot. I’ve spent my summer life in a bathing suit.”

“What’s the big deal?”

“I don’t like you.” Seolhyun stopped pulling and just stood there. Hyejeong’s hand seemed to hum around her skin. It was the weirdest feeling ever. “Let go of my ankle.”

Very slowly, Hyejeong lifted each finger while holding Seolhyun’s stare. “I’m not leaving. You’re going to do this.”

Seolhyun’s stomach dropping as they turned to see Mrs. Kim standing there in all doe-eyed. Her eyes went from her daughter to Hyejeong, completely misinterpreting everything. The glee in her eyes made Seolhyun want to vomit on Hyejeong’s head.

Mrs. Kim walked back into the living room. “Oh, sorry, am I interrupting something?” she said, extending her hand to Hyejeong. “I’m Kim Kardashian, by the way. Thank you for helping her. I don’t know why she fainted. She’s never fainted.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter