It's All My Fault

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An hour later, they were finally topside. “You guys are more than welcome to D.O’s place if you want to chill out for a few hours before you hit the road again,” Sehun offered. “Get some rest. Grab something to eat. Whatever.”

As Seolhyun climbed into the backseat of the SUV, Hyejeong glanced at Yuna. They really could use the time to rest before they got back on the road. Seolhyun had barely spoken the whole time it took to get out of the damn maze of underground tunnels, and Hyejeong knew she was exhausted. Probably disturbed, too.

“What do you think?” Hyejeong directed the question at Yuna.

She opened the driver’s door. “We could use the time to rest. I think D.O and Sehun are good, um, people, but heads up, Seolhyun doesn’t want to go back to the base.

Hyejeong’s brows rose as she glanced into the interior of the backseat. Seolhyun was fumbling with the seat belt. “Do tell?”

“She wants to go home. She wants to see her mom. It’s all she’s really been thinking about for the last hour or so.”

Hyejeong sighed. “I didn’t have the heart to even broach that subject with Seolhyun. Visiting her mom would be risky, too risky.”

“Thanks for the offer,” Yuna said, turning to the Kloom. “We’ll take you up on it.”

Sehun quickly gave her the directions before doing that shadow thing and taking the extraordinarily fast method of traveling. As Yuna climbed into the driver’s seat and Hyejeong got in the back instead of the front passenger seat, she pulled her phone out of the compartment in the center console and tapped the screen. She frowned.

“What’s up?” Hyejeong asked.

She shook her head. “There’s a missed call from Hong. Let me check this out, but he’s probably just impatient, wanting to know how everything went with the Kloom.” Getting situated in her seat, Yuna retrieved the voicemail. The minute her gaze flickered up and met hers, Hyejeong knew whatever Yuna was listening to wasn’t good. “Hong said... he said Choa is missing.”

“What?” Seolhyun asked, her chin jerking up.

“I don’t know. I need to call him,” Yuna replied. A ball of unease sprouted in Hyejeong’s gut and grew as she listened to the one-sided conversation. While Yuna quickly explained what had gone down with Baekhyun and that the Kloom was on board, the worry over what the hell Choa was up to didn’t lessen.

Yuna hung up, dropping the phone in her lap as she twisted around to face them. “All right, so it looks like Choa has gone MIA. Sometime after we left was the last time anyone at the base had seen her. Hong and General Han have no idea where she is.”

Seolhyun glanced at her. “But what does that mean?”

“I don’t know,” Yuna admitted. “Hong seems to think she’s probably heading to wherever those kids are stashed and he’s got some people on the lookout for her, but with Choa... you never know with her.”

True. If everything worked out with the Kloom and they successfully took down the Felix invaders, yet Choa disappeared off the face of the Earth, it wasn’t a good thing. No way was Hyejeong living the rest of her life wondering where in the hell she was and if she was going to pop up again one day, when they least expected it.

“It’s not the biggest of our problems right now.” Yuna’s eyes met hers, and for a brief second, they flickered over to Seolhyun. “Nowhere near it.”

That is also true. “Hong will find her,” Hyejeong said, and she had to trust in that. But as she got all up and close with Seolhyun, maneuvering her surprisingly pliable body around so she was stretched out across the seat and her head was in her lap, she couldn’t stop thinking about Park Choa. Did she really go for those kids? Or was there something else?

Hyejeong leaned down, brushing her lips across Seolhyun’s cheek. “Get some rest, okay?”

“Baby... I’m sorry,” Seolhyun said, swallowing hard.

She shook her head. “A lot has happened. There is no need to apologize, okay? We all are doing the best we can right now.”

Lifting her head, Seolhyun blinked back tears. “And you? Are you doing okay?”

Hyejeong stared down at her, silent.

“You don’t blame yourself for what happened back in Gangnam, do you? It wasn’t your fault. None of it.”

Hyejeong was silent for a very long time. “It was my idea.”

Seolhyun’s heart turned over heavily. “But we all got behind it.”

“Maybe there was something different we could’ve done.” A taut pull appeared at the corners of Hyejeong’s mouth. “The whole way here I kept thinking it over. What other options did we have?”

“We didn’t have any.”

“Are we sure of that?” Hyejeong’s voice was quiet. “We didn’t have a lot of time to think it through.”

“We didn’t have any time.”

Hyejeong nodded slowly, eyes narrowed and focused on the tree line. “Chaeyeon and Yonghwa and Jaejin... they didn’t deserve that. I know they agreed to it and knew the risks, but I can’t believe that they are...” She looked away, throat constricting. “And Youkyung...”

Seolhyun stretched up, cupping her cheeks. The aching spread though her chest, becoming a physical pain. “I’m so sorry, Hyejeong. I wish there was something more I could say. I know they were like your family. And I know they meant the world to you. Their deaths aren’t your fault, though. Please don’t think that. I couldn’t–”

Hyejeong silenced her with a kiss. A sweet, tender kiss that eclipsed all her words. “I need to tell you something,” she said. “You might hate me afterward.”

“What?” Seolhyun pulled back, totally not expecting that comment. “I couldn’t hate you.”

She tilted her head to the side. “I gave you a lot of reasons to hate me in the beginning.”

“Yeah, you did, but that was in the beginning. Not anymore.”

“You haven’t heard what I have to say.”

“It doesn’t matter.” Seolhyun sort of wanted to punch her in the face for even suggesting that.

“It does.” Hyejeong took a breath. “You know, when the started really going down back in Gangnam, I had my doubts. When I saw Jaejin get taken out, then Yonghwa and Chaeyeon, I asked myself if I would’ve done this again, the same way, knowing the risks.”

“Hyejeong...”

“The thing is, I knew the risks when I got out of the car. I knew people could die and that didn’t stop me. And when I looked up and saw you standing there, alive and okay, I knew I would do it all over again.” Her bright eyes settled on her. “I would do it, Seolhyun. How incredibly selfish is that? How messed up? I think that makes me pretty worthy of your distaste.”

“No,” Seolhyun said, and then she said it again. “I get what you’re saying, baby. It doesn’t make me hate you.”

“It should.”

“Look, I don’t know what to say. Is it a hundred percent right? Probably not. But I understand it. I understood why Youkyung turned herself and Yuna over and then tried to turn us over. We’ll all do crazy to protect the ones we love. It may not be right, but... but it is what it is.”

Hyejeong stared down at her.

“And you can’t beat yourself up over this. Not when you told me I couldn’t beat myself up over what happened with Minhyuk because of the decisions I made.” Seolhyun’s breath was shaky. She wanted to erase the pain in Hyejeong’s eyes, the hurt. “I couldn’t hate you. Ever. I love you no matter what. And it doesn’t matter what happens in the future or what happened before this.” Tears burned her eyes. “I will always love you. And we are in this together. That’s never going to change. Do you understand?”

When she said nothing, her heart skipped.

“Hyejeong?”

She moved so fast that she startled her. She kissed her again. It wasn’t sweet and tender like the last one. It was fierce, intense, and powerful. A thank-you and a promise rolled into one. That kiss broke Seolhyun down and then rebuilt her.

Tomorrow wasn’t guaranteed. Neither were the next couple of hours.

Seolhyun’s breath caught with that realization, and she stiffened. The next minute was unknown to them, and it might not even come.

Hyejeong’s arms tightened around her. “What are you thinking?”

Seolhyun considered lying, but at that moment, she didn’t want to be strong. She didn’t want to pretend like they had everything under control, because they didn’t. “I’m scared.”

Hyejeong tugged Seolhyun back against her chest and pressed her cheek against hers. In spite of everything, she grinned. “You’d be insane not to be scared.”

Seolhyun closed her eyes, sliding her cheek against hers. “Are you scared?”

Hyejeong let out a shuddering breath. “I’m scared less that I’ll never be able to make this up to you. That I’ll never be able to give you back your life and–”

“Stop,” Seolhyun whispered, blinking back tears.

“I’ve taken everything from you– your mom, your books, your life. So much so that you found enjoyment in eating something just because it wasn’t on a plastic tray.” Hyejeong’s jaw locked down, and she gave her head a little shake. “And I have no idea how I’m going to fix all of that, but I will. I will keep you safe. I will make sure that we have a future to hold on to and look forward to.” She took a breath at the same time Seolhyun did. “I promise you.”

“Hyejeong, this isn’t–”

“I’m sorry,” Hyejeong said, voice cracking. “This, all of this, is my fault. If I–”

“Don’t say that.” Seolhyun turned in her lap, dress riding up as she placed her hands on either side of Hyejeong’s face. She stared into her brilliant eyes. “This isn’t your fault, Hyejeong. None of this is.”

“Really?” she said in a low voice. “I think the whole mutating-you thing was my fault.”

“It was either that or let me die. So you saved my life. You didn’t ruin it.”

Hyejeong shook her head, sending the dark waves across her forehead. “I should’ve kept you away since the beginning. I should’ve kept you safe so you never ended up getting hurt in the first place.”

Seolhyun’s heart ached at her words. “Listen to me. This isn’t your fault. I wouldn’t change a damn thing. Okay? Yes, things have , but I’d go through it all again if I had to. There are things I would want to change, but not you, never you. I love you. That’s never going to change.”

Hyejeong’s lips parted on a sharp inhale. “Say it again.”

Seolhyun smoothed the pad of her finger over Hyejeong’s lower lip. “I love you.”

She nipped at her finger. “The other words, too.”

Reaching up, Seolhyun pressed a kiss to the tip of her nose. “I love you. That’s never going to change.”

Hyejeong slid her hands up Seolhyun’s back, one stopping just below her shoulder and the other cupping the nape of Seolhyun’s neck as her eyes searched hers. “I want you to be happy.”

“I am happy,” Seolhyun said, tracing her fingers over the curve of Hyejeong’s cheek. “You make me happy.”

Hyejeong’s thoughts spun further back, to the first time she’d seen Seolhyun pushing open her front door, herself heading over to her house. Even if she hadn’t wanted to admit it in that moment, Seolhyun had sunk her claws into her, and she didn’t want them out.

At that point, her brain pretty much unloaded a bunch of crap on her. Bringing up memories she’d almost forgotten... of Seolhyun arguing with her over the flower bed and refusing to go to the lake with her the day Mina had hid her keys. Even then she’d been looking for a reason to spend time with her. There were so many moments. Like when Seolhyun went ninja on the Kloom after homecoming. She had risked her life for her, even when she’d been nothing but a giant devil to her.

She would’ve died for her.

Where would they go from there? Not just where would they end up living or any of that crap, but both of them had and would sacrifice just about anything for each other. There was a next step involved.

Hyejeong’s heart did a funny thing in her chest, something between a panicked squeeze and an excited jump. Something was building in her chest, piling up until there was no denying what she wanted.

.

Was she really thinking this? Yes. Did she really want this? Hell yes. Was it probably the craziest thing she’d ever considered? Most definitely. Was it going to stop her? Nah. Did she feel like she was going to pass out? Only a little.

Her hand trembled a little, and her eyes narrowed.

She should really think about this.

Then again, who was she kidding? When she set her mind to something, she did it. And her mind was set. No point in waiting. It was right. It felt right. And that’s what mattered... the only thing that mattered.

She was in love with Seolhyun. She would always be.

“So... I was thinking,” Hyejeong said, moving before her brain really caught up with it. “There are eighty-six thousand, four hundred seconds in a day, right? There are one thousand, four hundred and forty minutes in a day.”

Seolhyun’s brow knitted. “Okay?”

“There are one hundred and sixty-eight hours in a week. Around eighty-seven hundred and then some hours in a year, and you know what?”

She smiled. “What?”

“I want to spend every second, every minute, every hour with you.” Part of Hyejeong couldn’t believe something that cheesy had come out of , but it was also so beautifully true. “I want a year’s worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade’s worth of hours, so many that I can’t add them up.”

Seolhyun’s chest rose sharply as she stared at her, eyes widening.

“Do you want that?” She asked.

Seolhyun’s eyes met hers, and the answer was immediate. “Yes. I want that. You know I want that.”

“Good.” Her lips curved up. “So let’s get married.”

Time stopped. Seolhyun’s heart skipped a beat and then took several leaps. Her stomach felt like she was hurdling mountains. She stared at Hyejeong so long that one single dark brow rose.

“Seolhyun?” Hyejeong tipped her head to the side. Strands of wet hair fell across her forehead. “Are you breathing?”

Am I? Seolhyun wasn’t sure. All she could do was stare at her. Hyejeong couldn’t have said what Seolhyun thought she had. Let’s get married. The statement, because Seolhyun was pretty sure it wasn’t a question, came so far out of left field that she was stunned.

A grin appeared on Hyejeong’s face. “Okay. Your silence is stretching out further than I’d thought it would.”

She blinked. “Sorry. It’s just... what did you ask me?”

Hyejeong chuckled deeply and reached over, threading her fingers through Seolhyun’s. “I said, let’s get married.”

“Are you serious?”

“Serious as I’ll ever be,” she replied.

Seolhyun flushed. “No. It’s just... you want to marry me? Like, really get married?”

Her lips were tilting up again. “I want to do this. I want to marry you, Seolhyun.”

“But...” But our future is so unknown to us. And it wasn’t the common world that people faced every day, not knowing how short their lives may very well be. They were on the y statistic side of things not working in their favor. They didn’t have the guarantee of years to figure out their relationship.

“But what?” Hyejeong asked softly.

Seolhyun wasn’t sure they needed those years to determine if they wanted to be together. She knew right that second that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with Hyejeong, but it wasn’t that simple. Something else could be driving this decision of hers.

Hyejeong squeezed her hand. “Seolhyun?”

Seolhyun’s heart was going crazy fast. “Are you wanting to do this because tomorrow may never come? Is that why you want to marry me? Because there might not be a later to do this?”

Hyejeong leaned back. “Can I say that doesn’t play some role in wanting to do this now? No. It does. But it’s not the sole reason or even the major reason why I want to marry you.”

“Why do you want to marry me?” She whispered.

“Because I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure nothing bad happens. Because I will do anything to make sure we have the time for everything that we want, but I’m not stupid enough to disregard the fact that something may happen that I can’t control. And, dammit, because I don’t want to look back and see that I didn’t seize the chance to make you mine, to really prove that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. That I lost that opportunity.”

Air hitched around the sudden lump in Seolhyun’s throat. Tears burned her eyes.

“I want to marry you because I’m in love with you, Seolhyun. I don’t care what mistakes I made or what mistakes you made. I’d make every single one again, if that was the only way to be with you.” She let go of Seolhyun’s hand and rose slightly, cupping her cheek. “We had a terrible start... doesn’t mean we can’t have a better ending.”

The tears welled up, and a few snuck out.

Hyejeong caught each one with her thumb. “Are the tears a good or a bad thing?”

“It’s just... that was such a beautiful thing to say.” Seolhyun wiped at her face, feeling like an overemotional fool on the verge of having a .

“So... the answer is?” Hyejeong grinned.

Seolhyun lifted her chin, eyes locking with hers. Everything she needed to see, needed to believe in was in her eyes. “Yes, Hyejeong. Yes. Let’s get married.”

***

The ride back to the hometown was a lot more uneventful than the trip to base, with the exception of the bickering between Hyejeong and Yuna and the state of some of the highways they traveled on.

Seolhyun knew better than to look inside the cars this time, but Mina apparently didn’t. Every so often, Seoulhyun would catch sight of her in the front seat, staring out the window at the destruction, and she’d make a soft sound, like a swallowed cry. Had she had a hand in this? Maybe not physically, but had anything she’d done had a domino effect that ended with many, many lives lost?

Seolhyun felt for her, and she was happy when she saw Yuna’s hand gravitate toward Mina whenever she appeared to get lost staring out that window. But the closer they got to home, she could no longer think about Mina.

Her heart started pounding in her chest like it wanted to jump out and do a little dance the minute they entered from the highway. Everything looked normal, like this little patch of the world, a few-stoplight town, had somehow been left out of the events the rest of the world faced. Except as they cruised through the main drag of downtown, no one was out on the streets. Not a single soul walked on the sidewalks. There were a few cars, but it felt like everyone was holed up inside their homes. And that wasn’t the only thing.

“God,” breathed Yuna, her knuckles bleaching around the steering wheel as she quickly to the nearest road that got them to where they needed to go. “They’re everywhere.”

Seolhyun didn’t need an explanation. Yuna was talking about the Felix.

Hyejeong leaned between the two front seats and placed a hand on her sister’s shoulder. She didn’t speak out loud, but when Seolhyun saw Mina turn toward her, her lips were pressed together tightly and her face was pale.

She nodded and then said out loud, “I’m with you guys.” She glanced at Yuna in a way that almost made Seolhyun swoon and forget what was going on. “I’m going to be okay.”

They were obviously deep in enemy territory, and it would be no amount of time before they knew they were here. The Felix might already know they were here.

And backup in the form of the Kloom and the military was still many hours away. This could all go very badly, and very quickly, because they were intentionally walking into a trap. Mina and Hyejeong were really going to have to be convincing when it came to playing along with the enemy to get close to Jeon. They would get to him before the military or the Kloom roll in.

Well, if Jeon had been alive, or even existed.

So convincing Seolhyun really hoped Hyejeong and Mina didn’t switch sides.

Might be a needless fear, because she seriously believed what Hyejeong felt for her was strong enough to beat that, but the concern was still there.

As they neared the turnoff she hadn’t seen in so long, Seolhyun leaned forward and grasped the back of Mina’s seat. Her breath caught as the SUV eased up the driveway. The grass looked overgrown, crowding the road. Well, it was clear no one was concerned with landscaping, but she figured that was okay. Her mom had to be fine, had to be waiting for her.

And she was home, because Mrs. Kim’s cute car was parked in the driveway, in front of the porch where the wooden swing still swayed back and forth in the breeze.

Yuna turned the key in the ignition, cutting the engine as Seolhyun stared at the flower box surrounding the porch. It was more weeds than flowers, but that was okay, too, because her mom had a daughter missing and an alien apocalypse to deal with. Plus, she wasn’t really good with flowers and all that jazz.

Her fingers were shaking as she unlatched her seat belt.

Mom has to be inside the house. Had she seen them pull up yet? Would the door open at any given moment and she’d be walking out? A prettier, classier, smarter, and nicer version of her, a version Seolhyun hoped to be when she got older.

Seolhyun could barely drag in enough air to get her lungs working. From their plans, she knew Hyejeong would be leading the show here, and the last thing any of them needed was for her to go running to her mom. But she wanted to see her. She needed to, because she missed her desperately and she had to make sure she was okay.

Seolhyun was all Mrs. Kim had left, and she needed to know that her daughter was still here.

Hyejeong caught her arm, keeping Seolhyun in the backseat while Mina and Yuna hopped out and stared at her house with wary expressions.

“There are Felix nearby,” Hyejeong said. “I don’t know if they’re in any of the houses.”

“Why would they be in our houses?” The moment the question left Seolhyun’s mouth, she knew how stupid it sounded, because there could be any number of reasons why they’d be in her house or Hyejeong’s.

Hyejeong smiled tightly, but the worry in her eyes caused the little knots in Seolhyun’s stomach to expand. “I know you want to check on your mom. I get that, but I need you to not run off. Don’t forget the gun.” It was tucked in the back of her jeans, like a gangsta. Hyejeong’s eyes searched hers and then she nodded.

Drawing in a shallow breath, Seolhyun turned and opened the car door. Hyejeong slid out behind her and immediately curved a hand around the base of her neck. Mina had a hold of Yuna’s arm as she led her toward the steps on the front porch leading to their house. Mina paused only to cast a look back at Hyejeong, and Seolhyun had no idea if they were communicating or not, since there was a chance another Gwynth could pick it up.

Hyejeong steered her around the front of the SUV, and as they walked closer to Seolhyun’s house, she noted the weeds once again. Then her gaze flickered toward the door.

It was open, with just the glass storm door closed. Her heart was really going at it in her chest and she had to force herself to walk slowly, like Hyejeong was leading her instead of Seolhyun leading her.

The steps groaned under their feet and the familiar creak from a loose board on the porch caused Seolhyun to jerk a little.

“There are definitely Felix nearby,” Hyejeong said under her breath.

Meaning they could be anywhere, in the surrounding woods or inside the house. With their presence so strong and thick, they could be sitting in the living room for all they knew. Shivers ran up and down her body as Hyejeong reached around her with her free hand and opened the door. Their footsteps quiet, as they stepped inside and were welcomed by the slightly warmer air of the interior and the scent Seolhyun had missed, fresh linen.

Tears pricked at her eyes as her gaze swung around the foyer. Things looked the same. Her book bag was next to the lovely pile of magazine, along with her sandals. Her mom had left them there, like she knew her daughter was coming back.

Seolhyun’s lower lip started to tremble, and she blinked furiously to keep the tears at bay.

They walked farther into the house, making no sound as they passed the doorway to the empty living room. Seolhyun looked up the stairwell and then down the hall, toward the laundry room. The memory of dancing in her socks and falling on her when Chanmi/Youkyung had let herself in, surprising her, rushed over her. The breath she took was too shaky. So many memories. They hurt in a good and bad way, wholly bittersweet.

Hyejeong gently squeezed the back of her neck, and then they entered the dining room. From where they stood, she could see the kitchen.

Seolhyun’s heart stopped in her chest and then sped up.

Hyejeong’s hand tightened.

She saw her. She saw her mom.

She was standing at the sink, her back to them, and oh my God, it was her... beautiful dark hair pulled up in a neat bun at the back of her head. She wasn’t wearing scrubs, but dark jeans and a light sweater. Tears spilled out of Seolhyun’s eyes. She couldn’t stop them.

“Mom?” Her voice cracked.

Her mom’s spine stiffened for a second and Seolhyun started forward, done with the pretenses. Hyejeong grabbed at her, but Seolhyun was fast when she needed to be, and she broke free.

Her mom turned.

She’s here. She’s okay. She’s alive.

“Seolhyun!” Hyejeong shouted.

In a blur of tears she couldn’t even see through, Seolhyun was an emotional melting pot as she raced across the kitchen, around the table, reaching her mother in seconds, and she got all grabby, wrapping her arms around her. “Mom!”

Seolhyun held her tight, inhaling the scent of her perfume and letting it wash over her, easing some of the knots in her–

Suddenly, arms were around her waist and she was hauled back against a hard chest and stomach. Her brain raced. She didn’t understand what was happening. Then her feet were skidding across the floor as she was shoved behind Hyejeong. Hyejeong kept her arm out, backing her up.

“Hyejeong, stop.” Seolhyun struggled to get around her, knowing she was supposed to play it cool, but this was different. No one was in here but them. They were okay and she wanted her mom.

“Seolhyun.” Hyejeong spoke her name, and the hoarseness of it, the way it seemed to punch out of her, caused Seolhyun to go very still.

She lifted her head, breathing heavily as she peered around Hyejeong and... and she got a look at her mom, a real good look.

Her whole world imploded, shattered into broken little pieces that were jagged and cut deep, slicing her insides into shreds and ripping her apart.

Mrs. Kim’s eyes, they were a bright, unnatural blue.

So blue that they looked like two polished sapphires, and her mom’s eyes... they should’ve been hazel.

“No,” she whispered, shaking her head. “No. No...”

Her mom tilted her head to the side as she looked from Seolhyun to Hyejeong, and then she moved her lips into a smile that lacked any warmth. “We’ve been waiting for you.”

No. No. No...

Seolhyun wrenched free of Hyejeong, backing up as she stared at her mom– no, not her mom. This wasn’t her mom. It wasn’t her. The cold blue eyes followed her movements and her lips continued to curl up as she watched Seolhyun with such apathy she could taste it.

“No.” Seolhyun’s voice was a broken record. It was all she could say as her chest split right open when the horror of the reality set in.

Her mom wasn’t here.

She would never be here. Never again.

Because she had been assimilated. Her mom was gone. Forever.

I should’ve known.

In the back of her head, that was all Hyejeong could think. She should’ve known that this was possible. That the invading Felix would get to Seolhyun’s mom and do something so horrific in hopes that Seolhyun or her or someone would come back here. Or maybe they hadn’t really been waiting for them but had done this just to be cruel, because someone or namely Jeon would’ve known Seolhyun’s mom, would’ve foreseen what it would’ve done.

Really, who the hell is Jeon?

The moment Seolhyun’s heart broke open, Hyejeong felt it in her chest like it had been her own, and she’d experienced that kind of raw pain when she realized Youkyung had died. She’d never wanted Seolhyun to go through what she was feeling, but there was no stopping it.

To think that Jonghyun was the one who killed her sister...

Wait.

Why Jonghyun had to kill her, though?

Seolhyun’s eyes were wide as she stumbled back, bouncing into the wall like she didn’t even know it was there, and she kept saying the same word over and over again. “No.”

Wait...

Tears streamed down Seolhyun’s face as she raised her hands, like she wanted to fend off reality, hold it back. Then she doubled over, folding her arms around her midsection.

Hyejeong’s gaze swung on the Felix standing at the sink, smiling coldly as she watched Seolhyun lose it.

Rage lit Hyejeong up from the inside, infusing every cell in her body. She didn’t use the gun. The shot, the sound of it was too wrong to use in this situation, because even though this wasn’t Seolhyun’s mom, she looked like her. The female in front of her recognized what was about to happen a second too late. She started to shift as Hyejeong let the fury go and a blast of the Source smacked into her chest, spinning her against the counter. She gripped the sink, staggered, but Hyejeong let go another bolt and it hit the back of her head.

The Felix’s light flared a bright white once, and then twice, before dulling like a lightbulb going out. She fell over, smacking on the floor with a heavy thud. In her true form, the last of the light faded out of the network of veins, leaving behind a shell of a humanoid form.

Seolhyun dropped to her knees, crying out as she dipped her chin against her chest.

Hyejeong whipped toward her. “Seolhyun... baby, I’m...” There really were no words except, “I’m so... so sorry.”

Seolhyun moved suddenly, planting her hands against the kitchen floor. Throwing back her head, she screamed, and that sound was full of sorrow and heartbreak.

It started as a low tremble under Hyejeong’s feet and then increased, shaking the kitchen table and rattling the plates and cups in the cabinets. Then it was a rumble, causing the house to groan and small clouds of dust to drop from the ceiling. The table scuttled over the floor. A chair toppled over and then another. Somewhere in the living room, a window shattered.

Seolhyun was going to bring the house down.

Hyejeong dropped to her side, folding her arms around her and gathering her close. Seolhyun’s entire body shook as Hyejeong sat back, landing on her . She pulled her into her lap, ing a hand into her hair, pressing her face against her chest. It did nothing to muffle the powerful sobs racking her entire body.

God, she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know how to ease this, which was the only thing she cared about at the moment.

“Baby...” She said into the top of her head. “I’m here, Seolhyun. I got you. I’m here.”

There was no sign that Seolhyun heard her as she burrowed into her, chest rising and falling sharply, pulse pounding way too fast. She curled into herself, her cries ragged and broken-sounding, tearing her up.

I should’ve known.

But there had been no way to decipher the presence of a Felix in there or outside. Others would be coming, but all Hyejeong could do was hold her, getting her as close as possible as she glanced at the ceiling. A crack had opened, cutting across the middle of the ceiling, but the house had settled, aside from a slight shiver of the foundation every few seconds.

She smoothed her hand up and down Seolhyun’s back and pressed a kiss to the top of her head despite the feeling of another Felix drawing close. When the front door slammed, she heard Mina calling out her name.

Seolhyun was still shaking in her arms, and while her sobs had quieted down, the burst of raw emotion was nowhere near over.

“What’s going on...?” Mina skidded to a halt outside of the kitchen, in the hall. Her gaze darted from the dead Felix to where they sat on the floor. “Seolhyun?”

Yuna was behind her, curling a hand over her shoulder. She picked up on what had gone down here as Hyejeong returned her attention to Seolhyun. Curving her one hand along the back of her head, she lowered hers to rest on top of Seolhyun’s and just held on.

She knew the moment Yuna told Mina what happened, because Mina cried out and then she was behind Seolhyun, placing her hands on her, trying to wiggle her way in, but Hyejeong couldn’t let Seolhyun go.

“We felt the house shaking,” Mina said as her eyes met Hyejeong’s over Seolhyun’s head. “I know I shouldn’t have come over here. That wasn’t the plan, but I was worried.”

The plan was out the window. There was no way Hyejeong could continue to go through with any of this after what had just happened. She couldn’t treat Seolhyun like she would need to. She had to get her out of here.

“Oh my God...” Yuna said, echoing Hyejeong’s thoughts. “We need to get out of here, get someplace safe and regroup.”

As Mina slowly backed away, Hyejeong slid her hands to Seolhyun’s arms. “We have to go,” She told her as she gradually stood, pulling her up.

Seolhyun’s legs didn’t seem to be working once Hyejeong got her standing, and her face was red from crying, lips trembling as she lifted her head. Those beautiful eyes were glassed over. “Leaving?” Her voice cracked.

Hyejeong started to nod, but Seolhyun jerked free suddenly. She wheeled around, and when Hyejeong grabbed for her, she turned and socked her right in the stomach. “Seolhyun...”

“No,” she said, striking out again. “No!” She swung again, her palm glancing off Hyejeong’s cheek.

Eyes wide, Mina started toward her, but Hyejeong held up her hand, warding her off. She shook her head as another one of Seolhyun’s mostly ineffective punches connected with another part of Hyejeong’s body.

“It’s all right,” Hyejeong told them. “I’ll meet y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter