An Unlikely Ally

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After saying goodbye to Youkyung and Mina, Hyejeong left the house just as dawn broke. Mina seemed a little better, and Hyejeong had no doubt that Youkyung would take care of her, though.

She looked back at the house. A cold, distant part of her acknowledged that she might not see that place, or her sisters, ever again. But that knowledge didn’t lessen her resolve.

Hyejeong headed in the opposite direction of the colony, picking up speed. Although she stayed in her human form, she moved faster than she could be tracked. Youkyung had told her earlier that Jjujju had been stowed away at Jonghyun’s, which helped detour local law enforcement that weren’t bought out by the AOE and were actually concerned about another set of missing teenagers.

It took Hyejeong less than five minutes to make the trek to Jonghyun’s cabin in the middle of nowhere. She slowed as she reached his driveway, spying his SUV.

She smirked.

She could travel the entire way in her true form. Hell, it probably would even be quicker, but she’d wear herelf out, and she was pretty sure the little meet and greet she was going to do at Mount Elvis would be exhausting.

Hyejeong slid into the driver’s seat, reached down. She wrapped her fingers around the wires and sent a little charge through them. The car sputtered, and the engine turned over.

Still had the magic touch, though.

Not wasting any time, Hyejeong got the hell out of Jonghyun’s driveway and headed for the highway. There was no way he’d be as understanding as Youkyung, at least not at the moment.

But before she headed to Mount Elvis, she had a little visit to make.

Jimin couldn’t have been the only one to screw them.

There was this teen Hybrid who had a lot of explaining to do.

A little bit after noon, she stashed Jonghyun’s car behind the rundown gas station on the same road as Hong’s club. Something about him was off, and in a big way. The fact that he was barely a teenager and running a club was a big clue. And he was out there, with other Felix, and unprotected from the Kloom?

Staying in her human form, Hyejeong took off through the weeds and into the wooded area behind the gas station. Seconds later, she cleared the stand of trees and hit the overgrown field.

She placed her hands on the steel door, sliding them down the center, feeling for gaps or locks to manipulate. There was no way this door was unlocking anytime soon. Backing up, she scanned the front of the building. Squat and no windows, more like a warehouse than a club. Pressing her hands on the thin gap between the doors, Hyejeong heard the wonderful sound of locks unclicking. She quickly eased the door open and stepped into a dark storage area.

The minute she stepped into the narrow, the hair on the back of her neck rose, and a cold shiver s its way down her spine.

Kloom.

Hyejeong barreled out of the corridor, seconds from flipping into her true form. Instead she ground to a halt, face-to-face with the business end of a shotgun.

The proud owner of the weapon was the Pro Wrestler, still rocking overalls. “Hands up, and don’t even think about going kick on my , pretty girl.”

Jaw clenched tightly, Hyejeong raised her hands. “There’s a Kloom here.”

“No ,” he said.

Hyejeong raised an eyebrow. “So Hong is working with Kloom, too?”

“Hong ain’t workin’ for no one.” Pro Wrestler stepped forward, eyes narrowed. “Where’s that girl who’s normally with ya? She be sneakin’ around here, too?”

He glanced behind Hyejeong, and she took advantage of the momentary distraction. Her hand shot out faster than he could react. She snatched the shotgun from his grip and flipped it around. “How does it feel to have this pointed at your head?” Hyejeong asked.

His nostrils flared. “Ain’t feelin’ real good.”

“Didn’t think so.” Hyejeong’s finger itched on the trigger. “I’d like to keep my pretty face intact.”

“And you do have a pretty face.”

Harp started playing in Hyejeong’s head.

“Oh, look,” said a new voice. “A love connection is made.”

“Not quite,” Hyejeong said, wrapping her free hand around the barrel.

“Did you think I didn’t know you were here?”

Without taking her eyes off Pro Wrestler, she smirked. “Does it matter?”

“Yeah, if you were trying to sneak up on me, I guess it does.” Hong ambled out of the shadows and into Hyejeong’s line of sight. He was dressed in black running pants and a T-shirt that read, ‘Who Doesn’t Love Cereals?’. “You can put the gun down, Hyejeong.”

Smiling coldly, she handed it back to Pro Wrestler anyway.

“You and I need to–”

Whipping around, Hyejeong let out a roar as her human form faded. She shot across the empty dance floor, heading straight for the mass of shadows forming under the cage.

The Kloom turned, and the second before they slammed into each other like two boulders rolling down a hill, Hyejeong saw him in his true form, dark as midnight oil and shiny as glass. The impact shook the walls and rattled the cages hanging from the ceilings.

“Oh, jeez,” Hong said. “Can’t we all just get along?”

The Kloom swept his arms around Hyejeong’s waist as she threw him back into the wall. Plaster cracked and plumed into the air. He didn’t let go. This jerk was strong.

Spinning around, he broke Hyejeong’s hold and his smoky arm s out, aiming for Hyejeong’s chest. Hyejeong darted to the side, throwing up her arm to blast the annoying bastard into next year.

“Guys. Guys! No fighting in my club,” Hong called, sounding irritated.

They ignored him.

Energy crackled over Hyejeong’s palms, spitting white fire into the air.

“You don’t know who you’re messsing with”, the Kloom hissed, sending his words straight into Hyejeong’s skull, which just pissed her off.

She let go of the ball of energy. It smacked into his shoulder. He jerked away and then turned his head back to Hyejeong, tilting it to the side. His form became more solid. Static crackled down Hyejeong’s arms. Light pulsed throughout the room. This guy was really starting to get on her nerves.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Hong said. “Sehun is very, very hungry.”

An instant later, Pro Wrestler strode across the dance floor, disappearing down the hallway.

Wait– what in the hell is going on? A Kloom with a human?

“You want to tone down the light?” Sehun said. “You’re blinding me.”

Power rippled through Hyejeong, and she wanted to slam her fist through his face, but Sehun wasn’t attacking, which was strange. And he was in the same room with a human, which was even more bizarre.

Hyejeong took her human form. “I don’t like your tone.”

He smirked.

Hyejeong’s eyes narrowed.

“You two should play nice.” Hong clapped his hands together. “You never know when you’ll need such an unlikely ally.”

Sehun and Hyejeong looked at each other. Both of them snorted. Doubtful.

Hong shrugged. “Okay. So, this is a very exciting day for me. I have Sehun, who only shows up when he wants something or someone to feed off, and I have Shin Hyejeong, who looks like she wants to do me physical harm.”

“That’s about right,” Hyejeong snarled.

“Care to tell me why?” Hong asked.

Her hands curled into fists. “Like you don’t know.”

He shook his head. “I really don’t, but I’ll hazard a guess. I don’t see Seolhyun, and I don’t feel her. So I’m assuming your little break-in at Mount Elvis didn’t go smoothly.”

Hyejeong took a step forward, rage swirling inside her.

“You broke into Mount Elvis?” Sehun choked out a laugh. “Are you insane?”

“Shut up,” Hyejeong said, keeping her eyes on Hong.

Sehun made a deep noise. “Our little mutual white flag of friendship is going to come to a halt if you tell me to shut up again.”

“Shut. Up.”

Dark shadows drifted over the Kloom’s shoulder, and Hyejeong faced him fully. “What?” she said, throwing her hands up. “I have a lot of violence plans I’d love to take out on someone.”

“Guys...” Hong sighed, sliding off the bar. “Seriously? Can’t you two just do hug?”

Sehun ignored him, taking a step forward. “You think you can take me?”

“Think?” Hyejeong scoffed, going toe-to-toe with him.

The Kloom laughed as he took one long finger and poked Hyejeong on the forehead. “Well, let’s find out.”

Hyejeong grabbed his wrist, her fingers circling his cool skin. “Man, you really are–”

“Enough!” Hong shouted.

The next second Hyejeong was pinned against one side of the club, and Sehun was on the other, several feet off the ground. The Kloom’s expression most likely mirrored hers. Both of them struggled against the invisible hold, but neither of them could do a damn thing to get down.

Hong moved to the center of the floor. “I don’t have all day, guys. I have things to do. A nap I want to take this afternoon. There’s a new movie out on Netflix I want to watch, and a goddamn coupon for a free cheeseburger that’s calling my name.”

Hyejeong and Sehun rolled their eyes together.

“Look.” Hong turned to Hyejeong, his expression clouded. In that moment, he looked way older than Hyejeong knew he was. “I’m guessing you think I was somehow a part of Seolhyun being captured. You’re wrong.”

She sneered. “And I should believe you?”

“Do I look like I give a unicorn puking rainbows if you believe me? You broke into Mount Elvis, a government stronghold. It takes no stretch of imagination to guess that something went wrong. I did what I promised.”

“Jimin betrayed us. Icarus has Seolhyun.”

“And I told you to not trust anyone who had something to gain or lose.” Hong exhaled roughly. “Jimin is... well, she’s Jimin. But before you cast judgment, ask yourself how many people you’d crucify to get Seolhyun back?”

As she stared at the kid, she believed him. “I have to get her back.”

“If Icarus has your girl, you can kiss her goodbye,” Sehun said from across the room, taunting. “Because they–”

“And you?” Hong cut in. “I told you to stay in my office. Not listening to me is not how to get something from me.”

Sehun gave an awkward shrug.

Hong cast both of them dark looks. “I get that you two have problems, big problems, but guess what? You’re not the only aliens out there who are sore. There are bigger problems than what you guys have. Yeah, I know, hard to believe.”

Hyejeong glanced over at Sehun, who shrugged again and said, “Someone didn’t get his warm cereals this morning.”

Hyejeong choke out a laugh.

Damn, she couldn’t believe she was standing in a room with a Kloom and not killing him. But he was also not trying to kill her.

“You need to be glad that I like you,” Hong said to Sehun in a low voice. “Look, I need to talk to Hyejeong. Can you go do something? If not, then maybe you can be helpful?”

He rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I have my own problems.” He started back toward the hall and then stopped, glancing at Hyejeong. “See you on the Milky Way.”

Hyejeong gave him the middle finger goodbye.

When he disappeared down the corridor, Hong turned toward Hyejeong and folded his arms. “What happened?”

Seeing that she had nothing to lose, she told him what went down at Mount Elvis.

Hong gave a low whistle and shook his head. “Man, I’m sorry. Truly I am. If Icarus has her, then I don’t–”

“Don’t say it,” Hyejeong growled. “She’s not lost to me. Youkyung once got out. You got out.”

Hong blinked. “Yeah, but Seolhyun got caught in the process. And I’m... I’m not like Seolhyun.”

Hyejeong didn’t know what the hell that meant. “Did you know that Jimin would betray us?”

There was a pause. “And if I did, what would you do?”

A bitter laugh snuck out. “I’d kill you.”

“Understandable,” he replied evenly. “Let me ask you a question. Would you have still helped your sister rescue Yuna if you knew Jimin would betray you?”

Facing him, Hyejeong slowly shook her head as the truth hit her square in the chest. If she’d known that Seolhyun wouldn’t be coming home, she didn’t think she could say yes, and she couldn’t put to words the fact that she would choose Seolhyun over her sister.

Hong folded his arms. “What do you want from me, since you obviously aren’t going to try to kill me? Do you want me to take down the security again? I can do that, but it’ll also be a suicide mission. They’ll be expecting you.”

“I don’t want you to take anything down.”

Hong looked at her, confused. “But you’re going after her?”

“Yes.”

“You’ll get caught.”

“I know.”

“So you really were coming here to kick my ?”

Hyejeong’s lips twitched. “Yeah, I was.”

The kid shook his head again. “Do you have any idea what you’re getting yourself into?”

“I know. And I know once they have me, they are going to want me to make Hybrids.”

“Have you ever had to watch people die, over and over again? No? Ask your sister.”

Hyejeong didn’t hesitate. “She’s worth whatever I have to go through.”

“There are worse things,” Hong said quietly. “If you and Sehun could put away your differences for two seconds, he’d probably tell you himself. There are things that they are doing there that will blow your mind.”

“Even more reason for me to get Seolhyun out.”

“And what’s your plan? How are you going to get her out?” he asked, curious.

Good question. “I haven’t gotten that far yet.”

Hong watched her a moment, then busted into laughter.

“How did you get out, Hong?”

He tilted his head to the side. “You don’t want to know what I did. And you won’t do what I did.”

A cold shiver crawled over Hyejeong’s skin. She believed the kid.

Hong stepped back. “I got to take care of this other issue, so...”

“Working with Kloom, huh?”

His mouth twitched. “Kloom and Felix aren’t that different. They’re just as screwed as you guys are.”

Funny. Hyejeong didn’t see it that way.

Looking up at Hyejeong, he said, “Icarus’s biggest weakness is their arrogance. Their need to create what should never be created. Their need to control what can never be controlled. They’re tinkering with evolution, my friend. That never ends well in the movies, does it?”

“No. It doesn’t.” Hyejeong started to turn away.

“Wait,” he called out, stopping her. “I can help you.”

“What do you mean?”

Hong’s amethyst eyes, so like cheap contacts that it was disturbing, latched onto Hyejeong’s. There was something a little off about his, though, with the line around the pupils. “Their biggest defense is that the world doesn’t know they exist.” He smiled then. “They have something that I want, and I bet it’s where they’re keeping Seolhyun.”

Hyejeong’s eyes narrowed. “What do you want?”

“They have something called PD-11. I want that.”

“PD-11?” Hyejeong frowned. “What the hell is that? Produce 11?”

“I don’t watch that show,” Hong felt the urge to face-palming. “Listen, that’s the beginning of everything and the end of the beginning,” he said mysteriously, and a strange gleam filled his eyes. “You’ll know it when you see it. Get it for me, and I’ll make sure you get out of wherever it is you’re at.”

Hyejeong stared at him. “I don’t doubt your awesomeness, but how can you get Seolhyun and me out of a place if you don’t even know where it is?”

He arched a brow. “You must doubt my awesomeness if you’re asking, and you shouldn’t. I have people everywhere, Hyejeong. I’ll check around with them, and they’ll let me know when you show up.”

Laughing softly, Hyejeong shook her head. “Why should I trust you?”

“I’ve never asked you to trust me. You also have no other choice.” He paused, and hell if he didn’t have a point. “Get me the PD-11, and I’ll make sure you and your baby girl get out of whatever hell they have you in. It’s a promise.”

 

The next day...

It felt like forever since Seolhyun was given a lunch of mashed potatoes and steak. She was too amped up to check out the TV. Waiting in the silence drove her to pace the length of her cell. Her nerves were stretched to the point that every time she heard footsteps outside the room, her heart leapt into and she moved back from the door.

Making her hundredth pass in front of the bed, Seolhyun mulled over what she did know. There were people here who wanted to be here: humans and Felix, probably even a few Hybrids. They were testing PD-11 on cancer patients, and God knew what PD-11 really was. Finding the cure to deadly diseases was definitely important.

She couldn’t shake what Sergeant Choi had told her. Were there really nine thousand or so Felix out there plotting against humans? Hundreds of thousands who could come to Earth at any time? Hyejeong had mentioned others before, but never once had she said anything about her kind, even a small enclave, wanting to take over.

But what if that were true?

No. It couldn’t be.

The Felix aren’t the bad guys here. The Kloom and Icarus are.

The organization might have pretty packaging, but it was rotten inside.

Footsteps sounded outside the room, and Seolhyun jumped a good couple of inches into the air. The door opened. It was Yuna.

“Hey, what’s going on?” She asked, immediately wary.

“I’m going to take you to the training rooms.” Yuna replied, whispering. Then they went outside in long strides.

“What goes on in the training rooms?” Seolhyun asked when they were in the elevator.

Yuna shook her head. “I have no idea, Seolhyun. But I hope you’ll be okay.”

By the time they hit the training room, Seolhyun’s stomach was churning. The hallway was identical to the medical floor, except there were a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter