Stay Close

Felix Culpa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sweetie,” Mrs. Kim said as Seolhyun walked through the door. “How was your day?”

Standard Mothers question.

“Fine.”

Standard kids answer.

She waved her daughter into the kitchen with a knife in her hand, and then she went back to chopping carrots. “You’re going to eat these, and answer my question like a nice kid,” she threatened as Seolhyun sat on the bar stool across from her.

“Well, it's really easy to keep my young cells grow, especially once January is over, but, Mother, I’m nineteen.”

Mrs. Kim made a face. “I hate it when you say that. ‘Mother’ sounds wrinkly.”

Seolhyun laughed. “I know.”

She picked up a carrot slice and shoved it under her nose. “Now you have to eat it. That’s your punishment for being a smartass.”

“Ugh!” Seolhyun pushed her mom’s hand back. “How about I just say I’m sorry?”

“And...?” She waved the slice in Seolhyun’s face with a huge grin.

“I love you? So much? Very very much?”

Mrs. Kim laughed and set the carrot back on the cutting board. “If you do love me– oh, before I forget,” she said, reaching into her pocket. “You left your phone on the charger this morning.”

She slapped it into Seolhyun’s open hand while she was picking up her bag. Seolhyun hoisted it over her shoulder, before she headed to the fridge to grab something that didn’t taste like his dad’s socks. “Mom, thanks for coming. Are you going to leave me again, after making me this so-ew carrot soup?”

“The flight can wait, but this, meeting you,” She kissed her daughter’s cheek softly, “I cannot. We’re sorry for not making you a little sister or maybe an older brother because–”

Seolhyun covered her ears with both hands. “Ew, stop it, that’s definitely way too much than these carrots.”

“Anyway, Sweetie, when will you tell Yuna and Chanmi the idea of moving in here? So you’re not going to be all alone.”

“They are coming tonight,” Seolhyun stuffed with a slice of leftover cake. “But the fourth roommate bailed on us two days before school. I don’t want to be completely alone with a stranger here.”

Yuna, Chanmi, and Seolhyun assumed housing could shove some poor unfortunate in with them. Probably some poor girl who had decided to switch colleges at the last minute, or someone who had their apartment plans fall through.

”No boys allowed, okay?”

“Mother? I’m gay.”

“Ah, right. I’m kind of happy that you’re not going to be pregnant at this rate.” (What a conversation, though.)

Kicking the fridge door shut, Seolhyun gave her mom a fist-bump (because Mrs. Kim was that cool). “Do you want me to get groceries? We have nothing.”

Mrs. Kim nodded. “A grocery trip would be perfect.” She grabbed her purse off the table, pulling out cash. “This should be enough.”

Seolhyun pocketed the money into her jeans without looking at the amount, because her mom always gave her too much in the first place. “Thanks.”

Then she leaned forward, twinkle little stars shining in her eyes. “So... this morning I saw something interesting.”

“What?”

“Have you noticed that there are two kids about your age next door?”

Seolhyun’s inner bulldog puppy kicked in and her ears perked up. “Really?”

“I’d thought for sure they’d be looking for available housing by now.”

“Mom? This is a house not a castle, not yet a hotel or an inn.” Seolhyun gave her a pointed look. “Anyway, back to the kids. I want details.”

“Well, one is a girl who looks about your age, and there’s another one who...” Mrs. Kim grinned as she picked up her cutting board from the table and headed to the sink. “She’s a hottie.”

Seolhyun cringed. “Is this some sort of midlife crisis I need to be concerned about?”

“Sweetie, I hope you’ll make an effort to meet them. I think it would be nice for you to make friends before school officially starts.”

“Yeah, it would be nice. But I don’t want to go banging on their door, begging them to be my friend.”

“It wouldn’t be begging, if you put on one of those pretty dresses you have instead of this.” Mrs. Kim tugged on the hem of Seolhyun’s shirt. “It would be flirting.”

Seolhyun glanced down. It said MY DIMPLES ARE CUTER THAN YOUR PIMPLES. There wasn’t a thing wrong with it. “How about I show up in my undies?”

Mrs. Kim tapped her chin thoughtfully. “That would definitely make an impression.”

“Mom!” Seolhyun laughed. “You’re supposed to yell at me and tell me that’s not a good idea!”

“Seolhyun, I don’t worry about you doing anything stupid. But seriously, make an effort.”

Seolhyun wasn’t sure how to make an effort.

 

Later that night...

They weren't sure what to expect, but come move-in day, Seolhyun did not expect who was waiting outside when she opened the door.

Instead of a desperate girl, this girl showed up with a backpack and a guitar. It was so beyond magical that Seolhyun didn't say anything for the full two or three seconds it took for her to assess the girl. She was staring at very broad, well-sculptured shoulders. Her gaze traveling north, and she noted thick lashes fanning the tips of the girl’s high cheeks. Two piercing black eyes were looking down at her.

Her thin T-shirt hugged her chest in a way that didn’t leave much to the imagination. Maybe she borrowed it from her little sister. Her stomach was ripped. Perfect. Totally touchable.

“Are you Chanmi, Yuna or Seolhyun? You look like a Seolhyun to me,” the girl said, looking Seolhyun up and down.

Seolhyun wasn’t at her best, considering she was dressed for moving heavy objects in a college T-shirt and black shorts, and she had her black hair in a haphazard bun against the back of her neck. The girl’s eyes raked up and down twice, and for some reason the way she assessed Seolhyun made her blush and want to kick her in the shins at the same time.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter