Nine

Second Time Around

Jonghyun stared up at him. Surely he had not heard right. “What?”

Seunghyun smiled warmly at him. “Marry me.”

Jonghyun's head swam. “I- I do not know.”

Seunghyun led Jonghyun to a chair and settled him. Everyone was quiet, watchful. He crouched down in front of Jonghyun.

Jonghyun was trying to get a handle on his breathing. “I do no love you, though,” he said softly. “I like you! I like you a lot!” The smile those words brought to Seunghyun's face made him blush. “I just cannot marry you for protection.”

“Why not?” Seunghyun asked. “People marry everyday for less.”

“But would that be fair to you?”

Seunghyun took Jonghyun's hand in his. “Jonghyun, I am in love with you. I have been for some time, and it grows stronger everyday. It also appears you like me a little.”

Jonghyun flushed harder.

“So yes, Jonghyun, that will be enough for me. You may even come to love me in time.”

Jonghyun's eyes filled. “And if I do not?”

Seunghyun shrugged. “Then you do not. Just seeing your face every morning and talking of our days will be enough.” He squeezed Jonghyun's hand. “It is alright for you to say no. No one will be upset. I want this to be your own decision. That is more important than anything else.”

Jonghyun's head sank into his hands. It felt fuzzy and full of air. “I... I need...” he swallowed his words and raised pleading eyes to Taemin.

“My lord needs some rest,” Taemin said firmly.

Seunghyun smiled. “Of course.” He stood up and moved back. “But please make sure Jonghyun eats something.”

Taemin just hummed as he moved to help Jonghyun to his feet. Kibum moved to his other side, and they quietly guided Jonghyun to his room.

 

 

Jonghyun was infinitely grateful that Kibum kept his counsel to himself and moved quietly. He helped Jonghyun change clothes while Taemin fetched something to eat. He helped Jonghyun to bed, and sat quietly while his brother nibbled at his food.

“Get some rest,” Kibum said softly, kissing the other man's forehead. Taemin grinned and winked before following Kibum out of the room. Jonghyun just rolled his eyes. Roo yipped from the floor, wanting her master. Jonghyun bent to pick her up, setting her on his chest. She his hand before turning in a circle and settling down to sleep.

“Hey, you can't sleep now,” Jonghyun admonished. “I need your counsel.”

Roo just sighed and Jonghyun was sure he could see a little smile. He sighed himself. He did like Seunghyun. He was just unsure if he was ready to marry again, even if it did mean Minho would no longer be able to touch or threaten him. While Jonghyun was certain the marquis's affections were sincere, he was afraid of being trapped in another abusive marriage. Of course, Seunghyun had never given any indication that he was violent. Then again, neither had Minho. Jonghyun closed his eyes. What to decide? He could potentially end up in a marriage as happy as Kibum's, but how to know for sure? Did anyone ever know for sure that the person they had courted with and married was the person they ended up with?

 

 

Memories began to dance through his brain, of a life with Minho before things changed. Minho being overly jealous, handling him with a roughness that was startling when he thought Jonghyun smiled too much at Lord Jungsu Park. Minho had even mentioned breaking off the engagement, until Jonghyun promised to restrain himself. Nothing like it happened again (until after the wedding) but Minho would squeeze him tight whenever he thought anyone would get too close.

 

 

Seunghyun was Minho's opposite. He never touched Jonghyun without permission, never raised his voice. In the few short months they had known each other, Jonghyun had only seen the Marquis upset once. Today, at Minho. And, according to Taemin, Seunghyun's servants liked him. Even Minho's valet Yesung never smiled. Jinki did say that Seunghyun's reputation for kindness was well known.

 

 

Jinki. He had done so much for Jonghyun. Jonghyun figured it was probably time to pay him back with the connections that would come with this marriage, even though he knew Jinki cared nothing for such things. Perhaps Kibum was ready to have their home back. And the would help him again, if necessary. But, perhaps this time, Jonghyun would not need it.

 

 

The sun was shining brightly when Jonghyun woke up, and he could not help but smile at it. He had slept heavily and dreamlessly, and felt refreshed. His mind was clear, his thoughts not troublesome.

“You are happy this morning, my lord,” Taemin noted as he came in to help his master dress.

“Mmm. It is such a beautiful day, is it not?” Jonghyun asked.

“You are going to say yes!” Taemin exclaimed, eyes sparkling.

Jonghyun just shushed him, making Taemin grumble. Once finished, they walked to the patio together. Breakfast was being served outside, as usual. At the doors, Jonghyun hesitated, and turned to Taemin. Taemin smiled brightly and squeezed his master's hand. “Do not worry, my lord,” he said. “All will be well.”

Jonghyun nodded and took a deep breath before stepping outside.

 

 

Seunghyun, Jinki, and Kibum were already waiting. Taemin took his place beside Youngbae. Jonghyun focused on one mind. He walked up to Seunghyun, and smiled. “Yes,” he said softly.

Seunghyun's face lit up.

“Yes, I will marry you, Seunghyun.”

The smile on Seunghyun's face was wide and brighter than any Jonghyun had ever seen. The Marquis lifted his hand and gently caressed Jonghyun's cheek. “I will make you happy, I swear,” he vowed. “I will protect you, I will give you your heart's desire. I-” he swallowed. “Jonghyun!” He lifted Jonghyun's hands and kissed them.

“I trust you, Seunghyun.”

Seunghyun had tears in his eyes. “That means more to me than anything else.”

Jonghyun stood on his tiptoes, and pressed a kiss to Seunghyun's cheek. Seunghyun wrapped his arms around Jonghyun's waist and just held him close. They stood quietly, breathing each other in.

 

 

When they finally pulled apart, Kibum flung himself at his brother, squealing. Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “You are such a teenager,” he admonished.

“Me next!” Taemin exclaimed, clamoring for a hug. “My turn!”

Jonghyun just shook his head. He caught Jinki's eye, who grinned.

“Alright you two,” Jinki said smiling. “Give him room. The man still needs to have breakfast.”

They took their seats and Kibum immediately began planning the wedding.

“Small, Kibum, small,” Jonghyun said.

“What about what Seunghyun wants?” Kibum demanded.

“Seunghyun is marrying the man he loves, and cares nothing about the wedding details,” the Marquis threw in cheekily. “As long as there is cake.”

Jonghyun snorted as Kibum threw Seunghyun a withering look.

Jinki reached out and patted his husband's hand. “I am sure you can still plan an elegant wedding for a small party.”

“Anyone either of you would like to invite?” Kibum asked.

“I do not have anyone,” Jonghyun answered.

“Siwon and Heechul?” Seunghyun offered.

“Of course,” Jonghyun smiled.

“Mother and father of course.”

“No,” Jonghyun said. “They are not allowed.”

Kibum sighed. “Jonghyun-”

“NO, Kibum,” Jonghyun said more forcefully. “They do not care about me. They only care for Seunghyun's title. They did not want me to divorce Minho, even though he would have killed me. They are not concerned if I am safe and healthy. All they are concerned with is their reputation.”

A few tears had begun to fall. Seunghyun stood, and eased Jonghyun from his chair.

“We shall take a walk,” he said. “Such a lovely day and I need some alone time with my fiancee.”

“Kibum and I will discuss food,” Jinki suggested.

“I thought we established food,” Seunghyun frowned.

Besides cake.”

“There is more?”

Jinki shook his head. “Just go on your walk.”

Seunghyun grinned and offered his arm to Jonghyun.

 

 

They walked quietly for some time. Jonghyun was grateful for the opportunity to gather his thoughts.

“I apologize,” he said quietly. “For what happened back there.”

“You don't need to apologize,” Seunghyun responded, kissing Jonghyun's hand. “It is a stressful situation.”

“Do you think I am being too harsh?”

Seunghyun led them to the shade under the magnolia tree. “I understand your pain. But, I understand the wish of your parents.”

Jonghyun deflated. “I have been useless to them since the divorce,” he whispered.

Seunghyun reached up to caress Jonghyun's cheek. “I doubt that is true,” he murmured. “But, we do not need to invite them.”

Jonghyun reached up to hold Seunghyun's wrist. “Kibum has probably already sent off a letter.”

“Then we shall prepare for their arrival. Together.

Jonghyun smiled up at his fiancee. Seunghyun reached above him to pluck off a soft, sweet blossom from the tree and tucked it behind Jonghyun's ear.

“Together,” Jonghyun repeated softly.