Six

Second Time Around

A month had passed since Seunghyun had declared his intentions to court Jonghyun. Spring had melted into summer. Seunghyun was still staying with them, conducting his business by post. They dined together daily. Sometimes Seunghyun would be gone all day, but would have a couple of gifts for Jonghyun, and one for Roo when he returned.

 

 

Seunghyun would work in the library, and Jonghyun would join him. He would read, knit, or ignore letters from his parents. No doubt Kibum had informed them of what happened between Jonghyun and Seunghyun, but Jonghyun had no desire to hear their thoughts on the matter. They sent him letters daily, but Jonghyun just let them pile up. Sometimes, often if he were honest with himself, he found Seunghyun watching him with a smile on his face. Jonghyun would blush and turn back to his book or knitting.

 

 

They would walk after lunch and dinner, moving slowly so that Roo could keep up. She would scamper about their feet, making both men chuckle. Jonghyun always ended up on the ground with her, no care for his clothes. The first time it happened, Jonghyun happened to look up at Seunghyun, and was blown away by the look of tenderness on the Marquis's face. Jonghyun coughed and looked back at Roo, and nothing was said about it. That night was the first time Jonghyun found himself wondering seriously if Seunghyun's feelings were truly sincere.

 

 

He could not speak to Kibum or Taemin, as they were biased towards Seunghyun. He was too intimidated to ask Youngbae, even though the valet had been nothing but kindness every time they interacted. There was only one person whom Jonghyun could trust to be unbiased, which was how he found himself knocking on the door to Jinki's study one afternoon.

“Come in,” Jinki called, surprised to find Jonghyun knocking on his door. “What brings you here?”

“I am not interrupting, am I?” Jonghyun asked, looking around to make sure they were alone.

“Not at all.” Jinki rose, and guided Jonghyun to the window seat. They sat quietly. One of the things Jonghyun liked about Jinki was that his brother-in-law never pressed him to speak- he always allowed Jonghyun to take his time.

Finally, Jonghyun spoke. “It is about Seunghyun.”

Jinki looked startled. “Has he done something?”

“No! No, not at all. I just... wonder how sincere he is. We certainly have not known each other very long. Look at how that turned out with myself and Minho.”

“And myself and Kibum,” Jinki said gently.

Jonghyun just sighed.

“Jonghyun, before I knew the Marquis, I knew of him. He had built up a reputation of being honest, kind, fair, and generous. That is why he is so eligible.”

“Not just the wealth, power, and looks?” Jonghyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

Jinki chuckled. “Not just. In the case of Marquis Seunghyun Choi, he most certainly has it all. And maybe soon, you.”

Jonghyun sighed again, and fell silent.

“But the only thing that matters is what you think,” Jinki said. “You no longer have to listen to your parents, or anyone else. You are your own man now.”

“Am I?” Jonghyun asked softly. “Sometimes I feel as if I cannot even care for myself.”

“Maybe so, but whatever happens between you and the Marquis is entirely up to you.”

 

 

Jonghyun spent the rest of the day alone with his thoughts. He prowled the gardens, Roo following along until she fell asleep and Jonghyun had to carry her back to the house. He left her on her cushion in the library, and joined the others for dinner.

“How was your day?” Seunghyun asked.

“Good,” Jonghyun replied. He was still shy, but he was able to look the Marquis in the eye now- while blushing, of course. “I walked in the gardens with Roo until she fell asleep.”

Seunghyun chuckled. “Roo sounds like good company.”

“She does not talk back, but she also does not offer opinions when asked.”

They were interrupted by a servant bringing the post. Jonghyun's eyes widened when the tray was held out for him. He gingerly picked up the envelope, his heart dropping when he recognized the handwriting.

“Excuse me,” he mumbled, standing abruptly and all but running from the room.

 

 

Jonghyun escaped to the library, turning off all the lights except one and closing the curtains. He slid off his shoes and his jacket, then sat on the floor, stuffing himself into a corner. He looked at the letter in his hands, flipping it over to see the seal that he had known for three years. Heart in his throat, he broke the seal and began to read.

 

                                                       My dear Jonghyun,

                                  How good it was to see you last month. It had been so long. You are as lovely as ever, although a bit too slim. Does you brother not feed you?                                  Remember when we would lay in the garden, your head in my lap, and I would feed you fruits and tea cakes? I miss those days.

                                 I miss you as well. You are still my true love- my feelings for you have never altered. It pains me the way you have tormented yourself: the                                          shooting, the divorce, being taken away from me. You have caused me such agony with your behavior.

                                The courts have found me innocent. They recognized Sulli's death for the accident it was- a act gone wrong. I would love to see you again.                                 I miss you. You must come and visit. Let me hear from you in the mean time. I remain,

 

                                                                                             Your loyal servant,

                                                                                             Minho Choi

 

 

Jonghyun was sobbing. Roo was prodding at his legs with her tiny paws, but he could not budge.

“My lord?” It was Taemin. “What has happened? What is it?”

Unable to speak, Jonghyun handed over Minho's letter.

“My god,” Taemin breathed. “Is this even real? Can he be serious?”

Jonghyun said nothing, and Taemin placed his cheek on Jonghyun's head.

“I shall fetch Kibum,” Taemin said.

“No!” Jonghyun cried, startling Taemin. “He will be so angry.” Jonghyun took a deep breath. “The Marquis, Taemin. He will understand. Bring him here.”

Taemin nodded, Roo at Jonghyun, and fled from the room.

Roo placed her front paws on Jonghyun's chest and his chin. A small amount of tension bled from Jonghyun.

 

 

The library door opened, and footsteps could be heard. Jonghyun looked up to see Seunghyun watching him, removing his own shoes and jacket. With a smile, Seunghyun settled himself across from Jonghyun, leaving a small gap between them. Jonghyun could not help but smile back. It was what he loved best about Seunghyun- the Marquis always respected his personal space.

 

 

“What has happened to make that beautiful smile so sad?” Seunghyun asked.

Taking a deep breath, Jonghyun passed over Minho's letter with a shaking hand.

As Seunghyun read, his expression darkened, and his jaw clenched. However, when he looked at Jonghyun again, his expression was soft. “Are you alright?”

“Did you know?”

“I did,” Seunghyun answered. “But I chose not to tell you because I did not wish to upset you. You were smiling and your appetite was back. I wanted it to stay that way.”

Jonghyun did not respond.

“Was I wrong?”

Jonghyun sighed. “No. I suppose I though I never had to think of him again. Perhaps hearing the verdict would have brought me crashing to Earth.” He was quiet for a moment. “Marquis, what if-”

“It will not happen.”

Jonghyun looked startled.

“He would have to get through me. Then Jinki, then Kibum. And I am sure Taemin could do some damage.”

Across the room, Taemin puffed out his chest.

Jonghyun let loose a nervous chuckle. Seunghyun lightly tickled the sole's of Jonghyun's foot. Jonghyun wiggled his foot against Seunghyun's fingers.

 

 

The library door open and Kibum burst in, Jinki following. “What has happened?”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. Seunghyun chuckled and helped Jonghyun to his feet. Jonghyun blushed at their proximity, but did not move away. Seunghyun slowly raised his hand and brushed Jonghyun's cheek.

They were interrupted by Kibum pointedly clearing his throat.

“I received a letter from Minho,” Jonghyun said, taking the letter from Seunghyun.

“What?” Kibum shrieked. Jinki placed his hands gently on Kibum's shoulders. “What does he want?”

“It does not matter,” Jonghyun replied, walking over to the fireplace. He threw the letter in, watching the paper curl around the edges and burn. He turned back around. “Should I tell him not to contact me again?”

“No,” Seunghyun said. “Do not contact him at all. If you take the time to reply, it will make him think you care enough to give him anything. Ignore him. He no longer exists for you.”

“What if that enrages him?”

“I meant what I said earlier.”

Jonghyun took a deep breath. “I trust you, Seunghyun.”