Eight

Second Time Around

Jonghyun was laughing. He was laughing harder than he had in ages. He and Kibum had gone to the local flower market that morning, and Kibum had done his best to make his big brother smile. He mentioned stories of when they were younger, or silly stories of Jinki in their early courtship. He teased Jonghyun about Seunghyun Choi's feelings towards him, and made him blush. By the time they returned home, both were breathless with laughter.

 

 

The house was quiet when they returned, but they spied Youngbae coming out of the study.

He bowed. “Masters Jinki and Seunghyun are waiting for both of you in the study,” he declared with a tight smile.

Jonghyun was struck- Youngbae appeared upset for the first time since Jonghyun met him. “Mr. Youngbae?” he asked hesitantly. “Is everything alright? You seem upset.”

Youngbae's smile softened. “You are very kind, Master Jonghyun,” he replied, before bowing and turning to leave.

Jonghyun and Kibum exchanged uneasy glances, and Jonghyun bit his lip. Kibum took a deep breath and opened the study door.

 

 

Jonghyun approached Seunghyun, who was seated on the sofa, and shyly presented him with a bouquet of pink miniature roses.

Seunghyun blushed, smiling a dimpled smile. “Jonghyun,” he breathed as he accepted the gift.

“Do you like them?” Jonghyun asked shyly.

“They are beautiful.” Seunghyun looked up at Jonghyun. “Almost as beautiful as you.” He lifted Jonghyun's hand and placed a gentle kiss to his fingers.

Jonghyun raised his other hand and gently brushed Seunghyun's cheek. The marquis closed his eyes and inhaled, turning to place a kiss on Jonghyun's palm. Jonghyun sighed, and smiled.

“How was your trip?” Seunghyun asked, setting Jonghyun next to him.

“It was lovely. Kibum behaved himself remarkably well,” Jonghyun smirked.

Kibum stuck his tongue out.

Jonghyun grinned before turning back to Seunghyun. “We saw Mr. Youngbae and he looked upset. Do you...” Jonghyun hesitated. He didn't want to pry into anyone's personal business. “Is he alright?”

Seunghyun sighed and squeezed Jonghyun's hand. “We had an unwelcome visitor this morning.”

Jonghyun's heart clenched as he took a deep breath. “Is it... who I think it is?”

Seunghyun's answering nod had Jonghyun's throat closing up. A tear slipped down his cheek as he turned to a horrified Kibum.

“That swine was let into our home?” he hissed.

“The staff has been roundly scolded,” Seunghyun replied. “Jinki can be quite growly. It is a bit disconcerting when you are only used to a fluffy bunny.”

Jinki huffed.

“What d-did he w-want?” Jonghyun asked. He was trying to control his breathing, and he had a death grip on Seunghyun's hand.

“To see you,” Jinki said softly.

Jonghyun bit his lip.

“But I told him you and I were courting, and that I would appreciate it if he refrained from contacting you in the future.”

Jonghyun's body relaxed in the face of Seunghyun's protectiveness. “Really?” he asked softly.

“Of course,” Seunghyun replied.

Jonghyun still had a death grip on Seunghyun's hand. His eyes slipped shut, and he forced himself to breathe slowly. He leaned to rest his head on Seunghyun's shoulder and breathed him in deeply. Seunghyun smelt clean: of soap, parchment, and leather. Jonghyun's body relaxed even more, and he opened his eyes. He kept his head on Seunghyun's shoulder, though.

“Are you alright?” Jinki asked.

Jonghyun nodded and smiled.

“Are you sure?” Kibum prodded.

“Yes,” Jonghyun said firmly. “Seunghyun kept him away, and I did not have to see him or trouble myself about him.” He shifted to look at Seunghyun. “Thank you for keeping your promise.”

Seunghyun cupped Jonghyun's face and tenderly kissed his forehead.

 

 


Summer was fully in bloom. The days were clear and hot. The grounds were lush and green, and multi-colored flowers flourished. Jonghyun, Seunghyun, Kibum, and Jinki frequently took their meals outside. Jonghyun loved finding the sunniest spot and basking in the light and warmth. The air smelled of sweet perfume, and Jonghyun smiled more, and laughed harder. Although not fully a year since his divorce, Jonghyun finally felt free. Happy.

 

 

Jonghyun was taking his usual afternoon stroll. He often walked alone between lunch and afternoon tea. His thoughts were no longer as dark and jumbled as they had once been. Kibum hovered less and Taemin worried less but Seunghyun still watched. Jonghyun suspected that had less to do with any concern Seunghyun may have about Jonghyun, and more about certain romantic feelings Kibum had mentioned earlier. The more Jonghyun thought about it, the less he worried about it. Seunghyun had far and away proven he was as kind as he was handsome-

“Hello Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun froze at the familiar voice. His stomach began to churn as he slowly raised his eyes.

Minho stood before him. He was handsome, deeply tan, and flashing a dimpled smile. “So,” he said. “We meet again at last. I have been walking for some time in the hope of meeting you.”

Jonghyun couldn't reply. His heart was beating frantically, trying to escape the confines of his chest. His throat closed up, and sweat poured down his back. He closed his eyes, hoping this was all a dream. When he opened them again, Minho was still there.

“You are as beautiful as ever,” Minho stated, still smiling. “You have even managed to gain weight since the trial.”

Jonghyun swallowed painfully. Where was everyone? Why was Minho here? How?

“I am glad I caught you,” Minho went on. “I am visiting Cho Kyuhyun, and he informed me of how close Jinki's property is to his. I came as soon as I heard.” His eyes narrowed, the warmth leaving his face.

Jonghyun knew all too well what that meant.

“Only to learn you are being courted by a marquis. Is that why you left me? Why you tried to ruin my reputation? For more money? Was I not enough for you?”

Jonghyun closed his eyes. He was not fooled by Minho's calm, controlled voice. Everything could change in a blur. Jonghyun could only hope to brace for impact.

Fingers gripped his chin tightly, forcing a gasp to escape Jonghyun's lips. He squeezed his eyes shut.

“Look at me,” Minho commanded.

When Jonghyun refused, Minho's grip tightened.

“I have had enough,” the baron growled. “You are coming home today.”

 

 

“Jonghyun!” Kibum's voice carried from somewhere behind them.

Using Minho's distraction, Jonghyun forced himself out of his ex-husband's grip. “Kibum!” he screamed. “KIBUM!!”

Minho glared at him before turning and stalking off.

Jonghyun heard Kibum's panicked cries as he got closer. Jonghyun slowly backed up, never taking his eyes off Minho's rapidly retreating figure.

Suddenly Kibum was in front of him. “What happened to your face? Are those finger marks?”

“Minho,” was all Jonghyun could reply.

Kibum whirled around, searching the horizon. “Come on,” he said, wrapping an arm around Jonghyun's waist.

 

 

Kibum quickly guided Jonghyun back to the house. Jonghyun stumbled several times, and Kibum constantly turned to make sure they were not being followed. Soon the house came into view, and Jonghyun sobbed in relief. The tea table was set up, and Jinki and Seunghyun were seated already. Youngbae and Taemin chatted in the background.

“Kibum!” Jinki cried out, and rushed over to his husband and brother-in-law.

“It was Minho,” Jonghyun sobbed. “He is staying with Cho Kyuhyun.”

Taemin cried out in alarm, and moved instantly to Jonghyun's side. Seunghyun's face was furious, and he did not seem to bother concealing it as he approached the distressed group. However, the fingers he put under Jonghyun's chin to tilt it up were gentle.

“I am so sorry,” Seunghyun said softly, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to the finger marks. Jonghyun closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

“He wants to take me away, Seunghyun,” Jonghyun said, tears streaking down his face.

The others gasped. Seunghyun stared at Jonghyun.

“He said he was taking me home today!”

“No!” Taemin cried. “I will not let him! Not again!”

Youngbae put an arm around Taemin's shoulders, and whispered in his ear. Taemin calmed, but only slightly.

“Of course he will not be taking you away,” Seunghyun said calmly. He slid an arm around Jonghyun's waist, bringing the trembling frame close. “This is not the way I had this planned, so I hope you will forgive me.”

Jonghyun looked up at Seunghyun, confused.

Seunghyun gently cupped Jonghyun's face. “Jonghyun, will you marry me?”