Two

Second Time Around

Jonghyun slept heavily through the night. It was unusual, because while he was married he hardly ever slept. Either Minho was keeping awake with his various ual proclivities, or Jonghyun was being plagued by nightmares. After the divorce, his sleep was still fitful. He kept expecting to be pulled out of bed by Minho at any moment.

 

 

 

When did did wake up, it was to a soft kiss on the forehead. He opened his eyes to see Kibum smiling down at him. “Morning,” he yawned.

 

“Good morning yourself.”

 

Jonghyun stretched. “What time is it?”

 

“Seven o'clock.”

 

Jonghyun groaned. “Why are you waking me up so early?”

 

Kibum sat down on the bead. “Taemin was worried. You have not slept so soundly in years, not since he has been in your service.”

 

Jonghyun looked around the room, spotting Taemin by the window, biting his lip. “I am sorry, Taemin.”

 

 

 

Taemin smiled brightly in response and moved to stand at the foot of the bed. “I am just glad you are okay, my lord. How did you sleep?”

 

Jonghyun pulled himself into a sitting position. “Very well, actually. I cannot remember the last time I had such a good sleep.”

 

“Any nightmares?” Kibum asked.

 

“Not a one.”

 

 

 

Kibum beamed. “Good. Now it is time for breakfast.” He strode over to Jonghyun's wardrobe and began selecting clothing.

 

“Where is breakfast?” Jonghyun asked. Usually Taemin woke him with a warm croissant, fruit, cheese, and tea. Sometimes chocolate. But today his breakfast was missing.

 

“You are dining with us this morning.”

 

Jonghyun sighed. “Kibum...”

 

“Just us four,” Kibum replied, moving back over to the bed. “Seunghyun has been up since first light. He has been so worried.”

 

“Fine,” Jonghyun mumbled, not looking at Kibum or Taemin.

 

 

 

As Jonghyun descended the staircase, butterflies took flight in his stomach as Seunghyun slowly came into view. He blushed furiously when the man smiled at him. They met at the bottom of the stairs.

 

“How are you feeling?” Seunghyun asked, running his eyes over Jonghyun's form.

 

“Better,” Jonghyun replied, smiling.

 

“How did you sleep?”

 

“Better than I have in ages.”

 

Seunghyun smiled warmly, and Jonghyun's stomach swooped again.

 

 

 

They ate in a sunny corner of the library, just the four of them, as Kibum promised. The other guests were all still asleep. It was a quiet, relaxed breakfast, and Jonghyun forgot how lovely it was to dine with people who genuinely cared about him. When he had dinner with Kibum and Jinki before, it was stilted, dancing around certain topics. Jonghyun leaned his chin in his hand and looked out the window. It was a bright, sunny day- the first promise of Spring. A small smile flit about his lips at the thought- light at the end of the dark tunnel of Winter. He turned back and found Seunghyun watching him. He smiled warmly and Jonghyun blushed once again, trying to hide it in his tea mug.

 

“It is a beautiful day,” Jinki commented. “What are you all going to be doing with it?”

 

“I have an idea,” Seunghyun said, looking at Jonghyun. “If you are interested.”

 

Jonghyun bit his lip shyly. “Okay.”

 

 

 

They walked to a sunny, open clearing behind the stables, where a small target was set up. Jiyong, who worked in the stables, was holding a quiver of arrows.

 

“Archery?” Jonghyun asked.

 

Seunghyun accepted the arrows with a bow, as Jiyong scampered off. Seunghyun turned back to Jonghyun. “I always travel with arrows. I find it very soothing to shoot.”

 

“Really?”

 

Seunghyun positioned himself in front of the target. He released the arrow, and it hit dead center with a sharp thwang. “It calms me down because it forces me to focus on my breathing.” He let another arrow fly, with the same result. “I cannot shoot with shaky hands.” A third arrow was shot. “Usually bty the time I have finished shooting I have calmed down drastically.” He turned to Jonghyun, and offered the bow.

 

No.”

 

Seunghyun smiled, still holding the bow out.

 

Jonghyun smiled back, shyly, and slowly moved closer. “I have never learned.”

 

Seunghyun moved back a little, allowing Jonghyun to step into his place. He strung the bow and arrow, holding it out to Jonghyun. “May I?”

 

 

 

Jonghyun was startled. No one had ever asked him permission before putting their hands on him. He blushed at Seunghyun's kindness. It made sense, though, considering he knew Jonghyun's history. Still, even Kibum and Jinki had not been as thoughtful. “Yes.”

 

Seunghyun moved behind Jonghyun, helping him into position. “Inhale, pull the bow back. Exhale, and let go.” He moved back a few paces. “Take as much time as you need.”

 

Jonghyun inhaled, and pulled the bow back. His hands trembled. When they finally stopped, he exhaled and released. The arrow thwanged right below Seunghyun's.

 

Oh!” Jonghyun exclaimed with delight.

 

Seunghyun clapped and Jonghyun whirled around, face flushed with pleasure. “Well done!”

 

I cannot believe I did that!”

 

Seunghyun handed him another arrow. “Would you like to try again?”

 

 

 

Jonghyun lost track of how long they were out there. He was having a wonderful time. He did well with shooting, and Seunghyun was a calm and patient teacher.

 

Where did you learn archery?” Jonghyun asked.

 

Boarding school,” Seunghyun answered, releasing an arrow. “I used to imagine the headmaster halfway in the ground, and the arrow taking off the awful wig he would wear.”

 

Jonghyun laughed delightedly, earning a wink from Seunghyun.

 

Do you have any hobbies?” Seunghyun asked.

 

Knitting. When I was younger I liked simpler patterns because my mind would wander. Now I like more difficult patterns so that I do not have to think.”

 

Kibum told me a charming story of you falling asleep in the library, so I am guessing you like to read?”

 

Jonghyun blushed and rolled his eyes. “Yes. I used to play the pianoforte as well, but not anymore.”

 

Why not?”

 

Jonghyun hesitated, unsure if he should share this tidbit about himself.

 

Seunghyun seemed to sense his hesitation, and turned his full attention on Jonghyun.

 

Minho did not like it.”

 

Seunghyun arched an eyebrow, but asked no questions. Jonghyun was relieved. Until-

 

It is a shame. Jinki says you have a beautiful voice. I should have liked to hear it.”

 

Blushing furiously, Jonghyun but his lip and looked at his feet.

 

 

 

The day darkened, and Jonghyun and Seunghyun looked up at the rapidly darkening day. A cluster of dark clouds was racing in their direction.

 

We should head inside,” Seunghyun said, as Jiyong sped around the corner, collecting the arrows and the target.

 

I hope that is not a bad omen,” Jonghyun said softly. “The day changing so rapidly.”

 

They turned and began walking back towards the house. There was a soft warm breeze, and Jonghyun breathed in the remainder of the calming day.

 

 

 

Thank you for this,” Jonghyun said shyly. He caught Seunghyun's eye before quickly looking away. “It was fun.”

 

I am glad you enjoyed it,” Seunghyun replied, smiling widely.

 

They arrived at the terrace stairs when a bolt of lightning flashed, followed by a loud crack of thunder.

 

Jonghyun,” Seunghyun said solemnly. “I know you are worried- omens and such- but I hope you know that Kibum and Jinki and I will not allow anything to happen to you.”

 

 

Jonghyun's eyes blurred with tears. He was attracted to Seunghyun- he was not blind, after all- and he wanted to like him, but he was still frightened. Another crack of thunder sounded and Jonghyun shivered. Without another word, he spun on his heel and went back inside. He had not walked many steps before bumping into someone. It turned out to be another man, taller than him but shorter than Seunghyun. He was well muscled, with close-cropped dark hair and a wide, warm smile. Jonghyun swallowed.

 

Ah, Youngbae,” Seunghyun said. “Meet Jonghyun. Jonghyun, this is my valet, Youngbae. He has been with me these last eleven years.”

 

And I know all of his embarrassing boarding school stories,” Youngbae replied, still smiling.

 

Never mind that.”

 

Jonghyun bowed deeply. “Mr. Youngbae, have you seen Taemin? He is my personal servant.”

 

Yes, he is in the kitchen, watching Seungri make pastries. Shall I fetch him for you?”

 

Jonghyun shook his head. “No, thank you. Just have him bring afternoon tea to my room, please.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun spent the rest of the afternoon in his room. The storm seemed to have settled directly over the house, as it raged for the rest of the day. Taemin brought the tea things soon after Jonghyun left Seunghyun and Youngbae downstairs. Jonghyun had settled on a settee next to his window to watch it rain. Taemin sent him a worried look but Jonghyun waved him away. Kibum arrived not long after, but Jonghyun did not really say much. How could he explain the overwhelming feeling of dread that had settled in the pit of his stomach? He had done his best to convince Kibum that he was fine, but he did not think he did a very good job. He sighed and picked up his knitting. Aside from dinner, he planned on spending the entire rest of the day holed up in his room. Perhaps it was the storm that was distressing him and he would feel better in the morning.

 

 

Dinner was the same as the previous evening, with one exception- Seunghyun was seated next to Kibum this time. Some of the other guests tried to gain his attention, but were unable to keep it beyond social politeness. He tried to talk with Jonghyun, but Jonghyun was still too shy. He gave perfunctory answers but listened attentively whenever he spoke to Kibum and Jinki.

 

 

 

Suddenly, there was a commotion in the hall- raised voices could be heard.

 

What in the world?” Jinki asked, exchanging looks with Kibum.

 

Kibum just shrugged, looking confused, and Jinki began to rise to his feet.

 

Jonghyun felt a lump form in his throat, and he shot a terrified look Seunghyun's way.

 

It is okay Seunghyun mouthed, but Jonghyun shook his head. He knew something terrible had happened.

 

 

 

The dining room door opened, and young man rushed in. Jonghyun could tell he was a servant by his clothing, but did not recognize him as a member of Jinki's staff.

 

What is the meaning of this?” Jinki demanded.

 

I am sorry my lord,” the man panted. “But I have urgent news.”

 

Well?”

 

Sulli Choi has been found dead by her maid.”

 

Jonghyun's heart stopped.

 

And the Baron Minho Choi has been arrested for her murder.”