Seven

Second Time Around

“I have something for you, if you are interested,” Seunghyun said one night at dinner.

“Oh?” Jonghyun asked.

“And for Kibum and Jinki as well.”

Kibum and Jinki perked up.

“I have procured four tickets to the theater, to see 'The Merry Widow'.”

Jonghyun smiled. “Kibum and I saw that once, when we were young and unmarried. Do you remember?”

Kibum smiled back. “I do. I was being followed by that dreadful Kyuhyun boy.”

Jonghyun snorted into his tea. Jinki raised an eyebrow. Kibum just waved them both away.

“Across from the theater,” Seunghyun continued, “is a tea garden. I thought we might stop for a stroll and some tea before heading to the opera.”

Jonghyun's eyes sparkled as he looked up at Seunghyun. “Truly? I have always wanted to visit a tea garden.”

Seunghyun raised an eyebrow. “Does that mean you will accompany me to the opera tonight?”

Jonghyun looked Seunghyun boldly in the eye. “I would love to, Seunghyun,” he replied, a little shakily.

 

 

 

That afternoon was a flurry of preparations for the opera. Kibum selected a deep blue suit for Jonghyun to wear. Jonghyun soaked languidly in the tub for an hour, trying to ease his nerves. He was equal parts anxious and excited about being out among society again. His hands trembled, but he had been able to keep his food down. It helped knowing that no matter what, Seunghyun would be by his side.

 

 

Jonghyun was not sure when he stopped referring to Seunghyun as 'Marquis', or when he became more comfortable around the other man. It was slow and Seunghyun seemed pleased. Jonghyun was still shy, but being around Seunghyun was far easier now. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.

Kibum poked his head in. “Ready?”

Jonghyun took a deep breath, and nodded. He waved to Taemin and followed Kibum out of the room.

 

 

Seunghyun looked gorgeous in a royal purple suit, and Jonghyun's heart fluttered in his chest. It was suddenly difficult to look the Marquis in the eye. Seunghyun smiled, and lifted Jonghyun's hand. “You look stunning,” he murmured huskily, pressing his hips to the back of that hand.

“I- Seunghyun!” Jonghyun blushed.

Seunghyun chuckled. He tucked Jonghyun's hand into his arm and escorted him to the carriage.

 

 

 


The tea garden was exquisite. There was a small, live orchestra, and a large reflecting pool with a fountain in the center of the garden. Small pathways ran along each side of the pool, and private alcoves were lined back along the edges of the grounds. Jonghyun was exhilarated. The flowers and trees were in full, colorful bloom. The sky was clear and blue, the weather fine. He beamed up at Seunghyun. “It is so beautiful,” he breathed, trying to take everything in.

Seunghyun smiled widely at him. “I am glad you like it. Where should we sit?”

“An alcove. I'm ready to see, but not to be seen.”

Kibum pouted. “But I wanted to sit in the sun.”

“You can,” Jonghyun replied. “Seunghyun and I can sit in an alcove. Right?”

“Right,” Jinki said, grabbing Kibum's arm and pulling him along. “We will see you before it is time to head to the opera.”

Jonghyun turned to Seunghyun. “Is that alright?”

Seunghyun smiled softly. “Of course.” He held out his arm to Jonghyun, then led him to an alcove. They settled at a small table, and ordered some tea.

“It is so beautiful here,” Jonghyun smiled, looking around. “So peaceful.”

Seunghyun smiled at Jonghyun again. “Why don't you peek outside? Watch the people?”

Jonghyun blushed, and stood up, walking to the entryway of the alcove.

 

 

Standing mostly behind a curtain that had been pulled back, Jonghyun watched people in bright colors promenading around the fountain. Still nervous about being among society, Jonghyun was content to remain on the edges of what was going on. All was well- he was enjoying himself quietly- when a couple of people separated, and Jonghyun saw Minho. He was talking to a mixed group of people and looked as handsome as ever. It was a punch in the chest. Minho's head lifted just then, and his gaze locked on Jonghyun's. He smiled widely. Jonghyun thought he was going to be sick. He turned back and sat back down at the table. His hands trembled as he sipped his tea.

“Jonghyun?”

Jonghyun startled. He forgot Seunghyun was there. “Minho is here.”

“Did he see you?”

Jonghyun bit his lip.

Seunghyun stood, and moved to kneel in front of Jonghyun. “Jonghyun, I swear to you, I will never let Minho hurt you again.” He slowly raised his hand. When Jonghyun didn't move away, Seunghyun gently cupped his cheek. Jonghyun relaxed, and allowed himself to nuzzle into Seunghyun's palm. “No one will ever hurt you while I am around.”

Jonghyun smiled warmly at Seunghyun, and allowed himself to bask in the feelings that passed between them.

 

 

 

Crowded and buzzing was the only way to describe the opera house. Seunghyun was able to secure a box for them, so Jonghyun was able to enjoy the crowd without being uncomfortable. He and Kibum were seated in the front of the box, with Seunghyun and Jinki seated behind them. Jonghyun did not mention Minho- he did not want to cast a pall over the evening. They were all having a wonderful time. Jonghyun had scanned the crowd once but did not see his ex husband. He forced himself to put Minho from his mind and focus on his family. Seunghyun was doting and Kibum was smug. The opera was as amusing as Jonghyun remembered, and he and Kibum frequently whispered to each other fond old memories. During the intermission, Kibum and Jinki left to stretch, leaving Jonghyun and Seunghyun alone. Jonghyun shifted in his chair so that he was sitting sideways. He leaned on the back of the chair, resting his head on his hands.

“Enjoying yourself?” Seunghyun asked.

“Very much,” Jonghyun smiled. “Thank you for this.”

Seunghyun ran his fingers gently through Jonghyun's hair.

Jonghyun closed his eyes. “Seunghyun,” he breathed.

“I like the way you say my name like that,” Seunghyun said, his voice once again deep and husky.

“Seunghyun!” That was the second time Jonghyun had heard that voice from Seunghyun. He discovered he liked how it made him feel.

“You are so very lovely.”

Jonghyun blushed, and just stared up at Seunghyun.

 

 

The rest of the evening was a joy for Jonghyun. With Seunghyun, he felt cared for, but most importantly, safe. He trusted the Marquis's word that nothing would happen to him if he was around. His good mood spread to Kibum and Jinki, the two of them looking happier and more relaxed than he had seen them in months. Jonghyun himself felt lighter, happier. His heart stuttered whenever he looked and Seunghyun, and Jonghyun found himself wondering if maybe he was ready to move on after all.

 

 

When the opera ended, Seunghyun went off to greet some old school friends. Jinki and Kibum left to fetch their cloaks, with a promise to not be gone long. Jonghyun, for once, felt unafraid. He leaned back casually against a pillar, observing the people around him. Many nodded in his direction, some even smiled. Jonghyun figured they were being polite because of his association with the Marquis. Suddenly, a pair of eyes locked on his, and Jonghyun froze.

 

Minho.

 

Minho was across the room, smiling that beautiful smile at Jonghyun. He began to move closer, and Jonghyun felt panic begin to rise. He straightened up to move, but his legs were locked. A lump formed in his throat, cutting off a scream trying to force its way free. There was a warm hand on his back and suddenly Seunghyun was in front of him, effectively cutting off Minho from Jonghyun's sight. It was as if a spell had been broken: warmth flooded through Jonghyun's body and he relaxed.

“Are you alright?” Seunghyun asked, concerned.

“Yes.” Jonghyun smiled, and blushed at the soft smile he received in return.

“May I introduce the Archduke Siwon Choi, and his husband Archduchess Heechul Choi. We all knew each other at school.”

Jonghyun bowed to the two handsome men in front of him. They were intimidating, and Jonghyun bit his lip.

“I understand you have one of my puppies,” Siwon smiled.

Jonghyun offered a small smile of his own. “Roo. She is everything in the world,” he replied. “Thank you for such a magnificent gift.”

“Not at all. I am glad she has found someone to love and spoil her.”

 

 

Kibum and Jinki joined them, and more introductions were made.

“Archduchess?” Kibum asked.

“Some of the girls were jealous that Siwon preferred me instead of them,” Heechul dismissed with a wave of his hand. “But I made it my own and threw it back in their faces.”

“They were probably upset that you are so much more beautiful,” Jonghyun offered. As soon as the bold words were out of his mouth, he blushed furiously and clamped his mouth shut.

But Heechul smiled radiantly at him. “Of course, you are right,” he said, and chucked Jonghyun under the chin. “I am beginning to understand why Seunghyun adores you so much.”

Jonghyun's jaw dropped. He looked up at Seunghyun and was surprised to see a rose color blossoming on the Marquis's cheeks.

“Heechul,” Siwon admonished gently, pressing a tender kiss to his husband's temple.

“Yes, well, we must go,” Heechul said, bowing to Jonghyun, Kibum, and Jinki. “We shall have you around for dinner. And Jonghyun I shall write to you about Seunghyun as a school boy.” With a wink and an air kiss, the Chois were gone.

Jonghyun, Kibum, and Jinki were flabbergasted.

 

 

“Heechul Choi certainly is fascinating,” Jinki said.

“Indeed,” Seunghyun replied. “He has a love of taking society ideals and strictures and turning them on their heads.” He gave Jonghyun a knowing smile.

Jonghyun's heart swelled. “And... we have made their acquaintance.”

Seunghyun nodded. “Heechul likes you very much.”

Jonghyun was surprised. “How do you know?”

“If he did not, you would know.”

“I look forward to his letters.”

Seunghyun frowned. “You can ignore those.”

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. “Does that mean I should not apply to Youngbae for proof?”

Seunghyun just booped Jonghyun's nose before leading him out to the carriage.