Eleven

Second Time Around

Dawn had barely broken when Jonghyun set off for his new life in Seunghyun's Westmister carriage. Taemin and Youngbae were traveling with them as well. Heechul and Jinki had both given them warm and affectionate goodbyes, but Kibum held him the longest. The brothers were given space as they spoke softly to each other, wiping the tears from each others' eyes. Then he was being handed into the carriage, seated between Seunghyun and Taemin. Youngbae sat across from them. Jonghyun clung to the hands of both his husband and his servant, trying to even out his breathing. Seunghyun had assured him they could visit Kibum whenever Jonghyun wanted, that Jonghyun could even visit alone if he needed to.

 

 

Youngbae broke silence by telling stories of Seunghyun as a boy. Seunghyun pouted and pretended to scowl, but Jonghyun could see a smile flitting about his lips, and the Marquis's eyes were soft and amused. Shy chuckles soon gave way to fits of laughter, and it was not long before Jonghyun's sides ached.

 

 

Not too long after, the carriage came to a stop and the door opened.

“Is there a problem?” Seunghyun asked the driver.

“Very difficult to drive sir, what with Youngbae lolloping about.”

“I do not lollop!” Youngbae huffed.

The driver gave him a look, and motioned over his shoulder. Grumbling, Youngbae climbed out of the carriage and up to the driver's seat.

“Master Seunghyun,” the driver replied, jerking his thumb to Youngbae's now empty seat.

Seunghyun heaved a sigh and switched seats.

“Very good, sir!” the driver said cheerily, as if it had all been someone else's idea. “Will not be long now.”

 

 

The carriage was quiet, Jonghyun squeezing Taemin's hands. Then Seunghyun began chuckling. Jonghyun was too afraid to even look at Taemin.

“Please excuse Shindong,” Seunghyun murmured. “It is not often that he becomes familiar. However, given the circumstances of today, he probably decided to lighten the mood a bit.” He reached out for Jonghyun's free hand, kissing the fingers. “Breathe, my love. You are shaking.”

Jonghyun exhaled. “Has he been familiar before?”

“When Uncle died. He was too grief-stricken by the deaths of my parents to speak often.”

“How long has he been in your service?” Taemin asked.

“Thirty years.”

“So he has known you your whole life.”

Seunghyun nodded. “Even Youngbae has not known me so long.”

Jonghyun relaxed a little. “He seems a good man,” he offered tentatively.

Seunghyun smiled warmly. “He is. I hope all of my staff are good and kind.”

“With you as a master, I am sure they are,” Taemin replied confidently.

Jonghyun could only smile shyly.

 

 

The rest of the journey passed comfortably. Jonghyun knit while watching the passing scenery as Taemin dozed. Jonghyun had moved places, settling next to Seunghyun, so that Taemin could stretch out on the seat. Seunghyun read, often stopping to share something or to give Jonghyun gentle, reassuring kisses. Jonghyun smiled every time, reveling in his husband's attentiveness.

 

 

It was nearly dusk when the carriage arrived on the sprawling grounds of a massive estate.

“We have made good time,” Seunghyun observed.

Jonghyun reached over to shake Taemin awake. “We are here.”

Taemin sat up and yawned, rubbing his face and stretching before they came to a complete stop. The door opened, and Shindong scowled.

“Honestly, my lord,” he scolded as he helped the occupants out of the carriage. “I leave you alone for half a trip and you undermine my authority.”

Seunghyun quirked an eyebrow. “Undermine your authority.”

“I have no authority.”

Seunghyun chuckled and Youngbae snorted. Jonghyun clung shyly to Seunghyun's arm, gripping Taemin's hand tightly. Taemin gripped back just as tightly. Seunghyun smiled warmly, and led his shy and scared new men into his home.

 

 

Seunghyun's home was massive, bigger than any Jonghyun had ever seen. A long line of servants stretched down the hall.

“Do not worry, my beloved,” Seunghyun said, pressing a kiss to Jonghyun's hair. “You do not have to remember everyone's name at once.”

Gentle laughter made Jonghyun blush, and he squeezed tighter to his husband.

They made their way slowly down the line, Seunghyun introducing each person by name, what position they held, and something personal about each of them. Seunghyun obviously cared about his staff, and the open smiles and warm welcomes reassured Jonghyun, and settled him further about his choice of husband.

“Does the new master have any particular favorites?” inquired the cook, Bom.

“Oh, I am not fussy. Anything you prepare will be lovely,” Jonghyun replied shyly.

“Taemin will be able to answer any culinary inquiries you may have,” Seunghyun told Bom.

“Please do not put yourself out for my sake,” Jonghyun insisted.

Bom laughed. “Master Jonghyun, I am a cook. I live to create new recipes and work at them until they are just right. I can promise you that pursuing my passion on your behalf is not putting myself out.”

Jonghyun blushed, and nodded shyly.

 

 

Introductions over, Seunghyun began the tour: kitchens, dining room, billiard room, library, drawing room. It seemed every room was more elegant than the last, and all equally cozy. In the conservatory, they came upon a pianoforte, golden and new. It seemed to glow in the sunlight. Jonghyun gently ran his hand along it.

“It is a Broadwood Grand,” Seunghyun murmured.

“It is beautiful,” Jonghyun replied.

“I bought it for you.”

Jonghyun was silent. He knew a response was warranted, something grateful. However, memories washed over him, rendering him unable to speak. Seunghyun did not press, of course, and Jonghyun decided he deserved an explanation.

“When Minho was eight, his mother died. From what Taemin was able to learn, she was beautiful, kind, and played the pianoforte. When she died, Minho was devastated, of course, but his father was shattered. He adored and worshiped her, and he saw her death as a betrayal. He was furious that she abandoned them, and that anger and bitterness spilled over to Minho.”

Tears spilled down Jonghyun's cheeks, hot tears he wiped away. “He threatened to break my hands,” he forced out. Daring to glance at Seunghyun, he found his husband with a pained expression on his face. “He was going to force me into public so that everyone could see what a disobedient husband I was.” Jonghyun's voice broke, and he sobbed.

 

 

Ordinarily, Seunghyun respected Jonghyun's boundaries, and asked for permission to touch. But in this moment, Seunghyun pulled Jonghyun into his arms and held him tightly to his chest. Jonghyun sagged in relief and cried. He desperately need the contact but did not know how to ask.

“I am so sorry, my love,” Seunghyun said softly. “I will have it removed immediately.”

Jonghyun shook his head. He leaned back, looking up at his husband. “No. No. Leave it here, please. In case I come back to it.”

“Are you sure?”

Jonghyun nodded.

Seunghyun wiped Jonghyun's cheeks, so gently. “As you wish. In the meantime, ee will speak of this no more, and it will be here waiting for you.”

 

 

The conservatory door opened, and Taemin and Youngbae walked in.

“My lord!” Taemin exclaimed, rushing up to Jonghyun. “What has happened?”

“Probably realized he has tied himself to Seunghyun forever,” Youngbae supplied.

“Oh, ha ha,” Seunghyun huffed. He turned to Jonghyun. “Shall we see the bedrooms?”

“Ooohh, bedrooms,” Youngbae teased. “Moving quickly.”

“I will throw you to the lions,” Seunghyun muttered, leading Jonghyun out of the conservatory.

“We do not have any.”

“Oh, I will find some.”

 

 

Seunghyun's room was a large, almost swirling mass of greens and blues. Jonghyun found it soothing. Everything was sumptuous and comforting, and smelled of Seunghyun. The bed was oversized and faced a fireplace. A book sat on the end table, well worn. Jonghyun smiled at seeing this private side of his husband.

“One more,” Seunghyun said, leading him out of the room, to the room next door. It was a little smaller, but bright and beautiful, in a light blue trimmed in gold. “This is your room.”

Jonghyun looked up at Seunghyun. “Mine?”

Seunghyun blushed. “I was unsure if you are ready to share my bed, so I thought you might like a room of your own.”

Once again, Seunghyun's thoughtfulness had him smiling widely. He sat on the bed, looking around him in awe.

“As you saw, my room is right next door in case you need anything.”

“I do not know what to say.”

“Say you like it,” Seunghyun whispered.

Jonghyun smiled up at his husband. “Of course I like it.”

Seunghyun knelt at Jonghyun's feet, kissing his hands. Jonghyun kissed Seunghyun's hair, and looked up at Taemin. The boy said nothing, but winked and smiled brightly.

 


A/N: Hey everyone who stuck around. I'm back. It appears Jonghyun is ready to see how this story ends: It's been rattling around in my head for a while. I hope you all like it, and will be around for the end. (But we still have a few chapters to go, I think)