Four

Second Time Around

Seunghyun smiled warmly at him. “I hope you are not bothered by my being here. I know it is your sanctuary.”

 

Jonghyun smiled back and looked at his feet. “I do not mind,” he said softly.

 

“Actually, I have been waiting for you.”

 

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows but did not reply. He moved over to sit on the window seat, giving Seunghyun a wide berth. He grabbed a pillow off a sofa and settled it over his stomach. He blushed when he realized the Marquis was still watching him with a soft smile on his face. “You were waiting for me?”

 

“I just wanted to be sure you are alright.”

 

Jonghyun's eyes blurred. He could not help it. He could not remember the last time someone outside of the house he lived in showed concern over his welfare. He bit his lip and inhaled deeply. “I am well, considering the circumstances.”

 

 

 

Seunghyun sighed, and ran a hand through his hair. “I failed you,” he said softly, looking haunted. “I tried to put my foot down as a marquis but the Chief Magistrate would not hear of it.”

 

Jonghyun sighed and leaned back. “I am certain you and Jinki did all you could. But, in matters of the law, we must all obey, or we go the way of beasts.” He shrugged. “Kibum is right- I must accept.” His voice broke on the last word. He closed his eyes and took several breaths to try to keep from dissolving into tears.

 

“Jonghyun.” Seunghyun moved, and Jonghyun flinched at the sound. “I hope you realize that Kibum is not upset with you. He is furious and frustrated at this unfair situation you find yourself. He just unfortunately took it out on you.”

 

Jonghyun chuckled mirthlessly. “I know. I wonder who is beating himself up more at the moment- Jinki or Kibum?”

 

Seunghyun crossed his arms and furrowed his brows. “That is an excellent question, as both are equally distraught. However, as I was able to observe your brother's... upset at discovering what the Chief Magistrate said, I am inclined to take Kibum's side.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun grinned at Seunghyun's assessment of Kibum. He had no doubt the Marquis was correct. Opening his eyes, he noticed that while Seunghyun had moved closer than the desk, he left the chaise lounge between them. Jonghyun could not help but be warmed by the fact that Seunghyun so obviously did his best to respect Jonghyun's boundaries.

 

Seunghyun's face softened. “This could be a good thing,” he said softly. “Minho could be punished.”

 

Jonghyun gripped the pillow he was holding. “The aristocracy do not exactly like to hang their own,” he reminded.

 

“He could always be exiled,” Seunghyun pointed out. “Sent miles and miles away and then you could begin a new life, without the fear of running into him again.”

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun smiled sadly. “'A new life,'” he repeated. “And what would that look like, I wonder?”

 

“Anything you wish,” Seunghyun murmured. “You are still young, you are very handsome, and you are talented. You can forge your own path.”

 

“And who, pray tell, would marry a divorcee?”

 

“I would.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun's body went rigid. He went warm and his heart lodged in his throat. He looked at Seunghyun, only to find the Marquis staring at him steadily and seriously. “You jest.”

 

“Indeed I do not.”

 

Jonghyun in his bottom lip and his hands found each other. His fingers bumped up against each other. “Forgive me, Marquis, if I am not overly anxious to find myself under the thumb of another husband.”

 

“Not all husbands are like Minho,” Seunghyun said gently. “Does not Jinki treat Kibum as an equal?”

 

“Not all husbands are like Jinki.”

 

 

 

“Very well then. I see I shall have to change your mind.”

 

Jonghyun looked up in surprise. Seunghyun smiled and winked before walking out of the library. He was not gone very long when the library door opened and Taemin slipped in.

 

 

 

“There you are,” he said, but he came to a halt when he saw his master's face. “What is it?”

 

“Taemin, I think... I think Seunghyun just made his intentions known,” Jonghyun replied before relating the events that had just transpired.

 

“Well, of course,” Taemin smiled brightly.

 

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. “What do you mean, 'of course'?”

 

Taemin's smile softly. “My lord, I told you Youngbae told me that the Marquis likes you.”

 

“But... I do not even know what kind of man he is. Minho was kind in the beginning, too.”

 

“What did Minho's servants say about him?”

 

Jonghyun could only shrug.

 

“Even if the words are kind, true meaning can often me found in address and expression. Youngbae speaks warmly of his master, always with an open smiling face.”

 

Before Jonghyun could respond, the library door opened a second time and Kibum entered. He moved slowly, tentatively, at Jonghyun.

 

“Good morning.”

 

“Seunghyun has intentions!” Taemin exclaimed.

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes.

 

Kibum's smile widened. “Truly?”

 

“Not exactly. I mean-”

 

“He wants to prove all husbands are not like Minho!”

 

Jonghyun shot Taemin a flat look, which his servant ignored.

 

“That's wonderful!” Kibum exclaimed. He saw the look on Jonghyun's face, and calmed. “What do you think, Jonghyun?”

 

 

 

Jonghyun began to play with his fingers again. “I just...” he sighed. “We have only just met each other. It has not even been a week! Just because he knows my history does not mean he knows me. I have only been divorced for six months.”

 

“In another six months, you will be divorced a year, and will have known Seunghyun for six months,” Kibum said gently.

 

“I knew Minho six months before we married.”

 

“But Seunghyun is far kinder!” Taemin argued petulantly.

 

“That's Marquis to you,” Kibum said. He reached out to take Jonghyun's hands in his. “Jonghyun, no one is saying you have to accept a marriage proposal. You are working yourself up into a tizzy over nothing. He has not even asked to court you.”

 

“But, today-”

 

“No.” Kibum's voice was firm. “That was not a proper offer of courtship. If his is going to speak such words to my brother, he damn well better do so properly and correctly.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun's head snapped up at Kibum's tone, and he was shocked to find tears in his brother's eyes.

 

“This family failed you once, Jonghyun. It will not happened again.”

 

 

 

Over the course of several days, the visiting aristocracy left Kibum and Jinki's home. Minho's trial was in six weeks, and Kibum and Jinki would be focused on other matters, and unable to pay their guests proper attention.

 

 

 

Seunghyun was the only one who remained. He and Jinki were often shut up in Jinki's study. When he broke away, he doted on Jonghyun- dining with him, or walking the grounds with him. Jonghyun did not admit -even to Taemin- that Jonghyun preferred when they sat quietly together in the library and read. There was a calmness to Seunghyun, a sturdiness that made Jonghyun feel as if he could let his guard down.

 

 

 

It frightened him.

 

 


As the day of the trial crept ever closer, Jonghyun's nerves wound into an ever tightening coil. He tried to isolate himself to keep from snapping at everyone, but Kibum would not allow it. No matter where Jonghyun roamed along the grounds, someone was always with him, trying to talk to him, or just watching him. The only moment of peace he was allowed was when he was in the privy. He vomited at least twice a day. The only one who left him in quiet was Seunghyun, but he still watched Jonghyun- always with a soft look on his face. It made Jonghyun's heart flutter, which did nothing for his nerves.

 

 

 

The week leading up to the trial Jonghyun locked himself in his room. He sobbed often, and he was still throwing up. He barely ate and Taemin was worried for him.

 

 

The morning of the trial dawned bright and clear, the sunny sky a clear mockery of Jonghyun's mood. Kibum had dressed him in a somber suit of black, and Jonghyun's hands shook on the carriage ride to the courthouse. Thankfully, Kibum kept his mouth shut. They all did. While Jonghyun desperately wanted someone to hold his hand, he knew he would break down if they did.

 

 

 

The courts building was packed with spectators. Many saw him and began to whisper. He was going to faint.

 

“I cannot do this,” he whispered, turning to look up at Seunghyun. “Marquis, I cannot do this.”

 

“You can,” Seunghyun murmured, putting his hands on Jonghyun's shoulders. “Do it for Sulli. Do it for yourself. Take your time, and breathe deeply.”

 

Jonghyun bit his lip and took a deep breath.

 

Seunghyun smiled that warm, soft smile. “I will be sitting behind the magistrates' tables. Keep your focus on me- no one else.”

 

“Okay.” Jonghyun tried to smile but failed.

 

 

 

Jinki materialized next to him, and touched his arm gently. “It is time.”

 

Jonghyun's eyes widened. He turned to Seunghyun, who bent down to whisper in his ear.

 

“How about a kiss for luck?”

 

Jonghyun's breath hitched. No one had kissed him since Minho, and it had been several years since he had given Jonghyun a proper kiss. Jonghyun, realizing he was rather starved for affection, nodded bashfully.

 

 

 

Seunghyun straightened up, and pressed his lips to Jonghyun's forehead. Jonghyun let out a shaky breath. Such a kind, gentle gesture touched Jonghyun to his very core. It made him tremble, yet steadied him at the same time. He blushed up at Seunghyun, who smiled back. Turning to Jinki, Jonghyun took a deep breath, and headed inside the courtroom.