Ten

Second Time Around

Jonghyun watched his fiancee quietly. Seunghyun had fallen asleep on the sofa, Roo fast asleep on his chest. Seunghyun's face was relaxed, his fingers folded across his stomach. Luckily, he did not snore. At least Jonghyun did not have that to worry about.

 

 

It was strange for Jonghyun to find himself engaged again. For so long, he did not think it was something he would want again. He was not sure how he found someone as kind and gentle (and handsome) as Seunghyun, but he was so thankful that he did. He found himself blushing as his eyes roamed over his future husband's face.

“You are staring,” Seunghyun stated, startling Jonghyun so that he almost fell off his chair.

“I am not,” Jonghyun huffed, scowling. He tore his eyes away and back down to the book in his lap.

“Whatever you say, my darling.”

Jonghyun made a face at Seunghyun, his heart fluttering at the warm look he received in response.

 

 

Suddenly, the library door opened and Kibum flounced in, flinging himself dramatically in the chair opposite Jonghyun's. Jonghyun and Seunghyun grinned at each other.

“Why Kibum, whatever is the matter?” Seunghyun asked.

Jonghyun snorted.

Kibum glared. “It is Mother,” he said glumly. “I have informed her that she and Father are not invited to the wedding, but she insists on coming anyway.” He tried passing a letter to Jonghyun, but Jonghyun ignored it. Kibum sighed.

“When did you say we would marry?” Seunghyun asked, sitting up. He set Roo onto the cushion next to him, where she yawned and curled up into a ball and fell asleep.

“Saturday the 27th,” Kibum replied, confusedly.

“So we get married Friday the 26th,” Seunghyun stated. “We will have to leave very early the next morning, but we could miss them entirely.”

Jonghyun brightened, then bit his lip. “But... are you sure-”

“I am,” Seunghyun said firmly. “Siwon and Heechul will already be here, and since they are the only two guests aside from Kibum and Jinki, everything should be fine.”

Jonghyun smiled warmly up at Seunghyun.

“Your happiness is more important to me than anything else,” Seunghyun said, taking Jonghyun's hand in his. “I will send off a note to Heechul and Siwon, and I will let Jinki know.” He kissed Jonghyun's palm. “One more week.” He left the room, Jonghyun smiling after him.

When he turned back, Kibum was leaning on the arm of his chair, grinning widely. “Do not, Kibum,” Jonghyun said warningly.

“What?” Kibum demanded. “It is not as if I am going to say I told you so, even though I told you so.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, but he could not help laughing.

Kibum winked.

Jonghyun sat back in his chair, sighing. “It feels as if it has been a whirlwind,” he said. “So much happening all at once.”

“How are you dealing with it all?” Kibum asked. “Truth.”

“Better than I expected,” Jonghyun replied, looking at his brother. “Talking to you, talking to Taemin. Even talking to Seunghyun. I feel good going into this new marriage.”

Kibum smiled brightly, and he moved to stand in front of Jonghyun. He tugged his older brother to his feet, and enclosed him in a tight hug. “You can always come back. Jinki and I will fight for you no matter what.”

Jonghyun gave Kibum a tight squeeze before pulling back. “Thank you,” he said softly, eyes full. “But I do not think it will be necessary this time around.”

 

 

The week passed by quickly, yet Jonghyun handled it well. He took a long, soaking bath every night, and while his stomach was a little jumpy, he was still able to eat. The night before the wedding, Jonghyun would spend in his room with Taemin and Kibum. They would take dinner and talk, then curl up together in Jonghyun's bed to sleep. Even though butterflies took flight in Jonghyun's stomach every time he thought of his upcoming nuptials, he felt unafraid. He only felt warm when he thought of Seunghyun. He was nervous about heading to a new home, but Taemin would be with him every step of the way, and he could always return. Deep down, though, Jonghyun knew things would be different with Seunghyun.

 

 

The morning of Jonghyun's wedding dawned crisp and sunny. He stretched out in his bed, surprised at the lack of nerves he felt. Kibum and Taemin must already be up, as Jonghyun's only bed companion was Roo. The puppy was curled up on Taemin's pillow, emitting soft snores. Today, Jonghyun would be married, tomorrow he would be in a new home. Although he looked forward to a new life with Seunghyun, he tried not to think about it too much about it. That would mean thinking about all the ways the marriage could go wrong. He had Taemin, he could return to Kibum's- best to just ignore all the rest of it.

 

 

His door opened then, and in walked Kibum, Taemin, and the Archduchess Heechul Choi.

“Archduchess?” Jonghyun asked in surprise.

Heechul rolled his eyes. “Heechul, darling. I keep telling you to call me Heechul.” He climbed into bed next to Jonghyun. “We are on a first name basis now.”

“So you say.”

Heechul chuckled and grabbed Jonghyun's hand, squeezing it. “And I will keep saying so until you call me by my name, not my title. You are marrying one of my oldest, dearest friends. We are equals now.”

Jonghyun just hummed in reply.

Heechul looked at him. “Is everything alright? Are you having second thoughts?”

This got Kibum and Taemin's attention, and they dropped what they were doing and scrambled onto the bed.

Jonghyun smiled, and squeezed Heechul's hand in return. “Everything is fine. I am trying to not overthink things. My mind can spiral on its own sometimes, and if I keep my mind blank, then I will not become sick with nerves.” He relaxed, and his smile grew. “I am happy to marry Seunghyun.”

“He is certainly happy to marry you,” Heechul teased, making Jonghyun blush. “Siwon and I had such fun teasing him last night when we arrived after you went to bed.”

Kibum and Taemin dissolved into giggles. Jonghyun rolled his eyes and kicked out at his companions, who ducked. The grandfather clock struck half past eight, and Kibum straightened up.

“Time to get ready,” he said softly.

Jonghyun climbed out of bed and let himself be fussed over.

 

 

At nine o'clock in the morning, Jonghyun descended the stairs with Kibum at his side, Heechul and Taemin bringing up the rear. Seunghyun was chatting with Siwon, Jinki, and the minister. He looked debonair, and Jonghyun's heart fluttered. He blushed when the other man happened to glance his way, his whole face lighting up at the sight of Jonghyun.

“Hello, my darling,” he said softly, taking Jonghyun's hands in his own. “Are you ready?”

Jonghyun raised Seunghyun's hands to his lips, reveling in Seunghyun's blush. “Yes, Seunghyun. I am ready to marry you.”

 

 

Jonghyun was barely able to focus on the words of the minister. His blood rushed through his ears. But he kept his eyes on Seunghyun's, his hands in Seunghyun's, and was able to remain calm while repeating his vows. Seunghyun was also calm and firm in his words. When they were pronounced married, Jonghyun moved shyly closer to the Marquis. Seunghyun bent down and pressed his lips chastely to Jonghyun's. The new groom sighed, and allowed his lips to move gently along Seunghyun's. When they pulled apart, there was clapping and even a wolf whistle, although Jonghyun could not say whether it came from Heechul or Kibum.

 

 

After the ceremony, the minister left and everyone gathered on the terrace for morning tea. Seunghyun wrapped an arm around Jonghyun's waist, and Jonghyun leaned into his new husband, breathing him in deeply for comfort. Husband. Jonghyun looked up at the older man, only to find him already watching him with a smile on his face. Seunghyun pressed a kiss to Jonghyun's temple, and at that moment, more than anything else, Jonghyun felt safe.