Three

Second Time Around

Every eye in the room turned to Jonghyun. It was deathly quiet. Blood rushed in his ears and there was a massive lump in his throat. He swallowed and it felt like he was going to choke. Tears filled his eyes and he closed them to prevent them from falling. There was a soft rustle, then footsteps, and then Kibum was by his side.

 

“Come away, Jonghyun,” he said softly, wrapping an arm around Jonghyun's waist, and taking his hand with the other. Slowly, Jonghyun was eased out of his chair. “Come away.”

 

 

No one interfered- not Jinki, not Seunghyun. The room remained completely still as Kibum led Jonghyun away. It was if the whole house were holding its breath.

 

 

 

Once safely ensconced in his room, Jonghyun gave vent to his tears. He cried for Sulli, for a young, innocent life cut so tragically short. He cried for Minho, his one time husband who had been good at some point. And lastly, he cried for himself, for the torment he endured, and for the desperate battle he fought to escape.

 

 

 

Jonghyun heard Kibum and Taemin conversing in low tones while they undressed him, but he could not make out what they were saying. He supposed it did not matter. Once he was in his pajamas, they coaxed him into bed. Taemin slipped softly from the room while Kibum sat next to Jonghyun on the bed, his hair and singing softly to him. Taemin returned with a tumbler of warm milk. He held it up to Jonghyun's mouth, giving him no choice but to drink it. Rather quickly, he fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

 

 

When he awoke, sunlight streamed through the windows. He could just make out a couple of figures in his room. Rubbing his eyes and yawning, he realized Seunghyun leaned against the wall, Jinki stood next to the bed, and Kibum was sitting on the bed, holding Jonghyun's hand.

 

“Good morning,” Kibum said softly, leaning forward to kiss his forehead. “Taemin has just gone to fetch your breakfast.”

 

“How did you sleep?” Jinki asked.

 

“Heavily,” Jonghyun replied. “Did you give me something?”

 

Kibum nodded. “There was a sedative in the milk. I wanted to be sure you would sleep through the night.”

 

Taemin returned then, the tray bearing only a mug of tea and a warm croissant. There was not even a pat of butter.

 

“Quite a plain breakfast,” Kibum observed.

 

“It is all my lord can handle at the moment,” Taemin replied. “His stomach suffers when his emotions are a mess.”

 

“It is true,” Jonghyun replied softly. “Taemin has had three years to discover this.”

 

Kibum frowned but said nothing.

 

 

 

The room was silent as Jonghyun ate. “You all are scaring me,” he said.. “Has something else happened?”

 

Kibum bit his lip, and looked away. Jinki and Seunghyun exchanged a look, and Jinki sank to his knees and took Jinki's hand in his.

 

“Jonghyun, I want you to know I fought this as hard as I could. Seunghyun and I both did.”

 

The lump was back in Jonghyun's throat. “Fought what?” he asked shakily.

 

Jinki took several deep breaths. “Jonghyun, the Chief Magistrate was here this morning. He says you have to testify in Minho's trial. About your marriage. And why you left.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun's hands began to tremble, causing his teacup to rattle against the saucer. Taemin took it from him, gently setting it on the try before settling the tray on a nearby table.

 

Tears fell from Jonghyun's eyes. “You promised,” he said thickly. “You promised that night that I would never have to face him again.”

 

Jinki had tears in his eyes as well. “I know. I know I promised, and I am so sorry, Jonghyun. I never could have foreseen this. I hate that you have to do this. I hate that Minho is still putting you through this. I tried, Seunghyun tried. There was nothing we could do. The Chief Magistrate was immovable.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun covered his face with his hands.

 

“I know,” Jinki said softly. “It is so unfair that you have to go through this again.”

 

“You promised!” Jonghyun sobbed.

 

“Jonghyun,” Kibum said firmly. “ He did the best he could, but you still have to testify, You just have to accept.”

 

“Kibum!” Jinki exclaimed.

 

“Your voice, my lord,” Taemin said softly, casting a worried glance at Jonghyun.

 

“It is not as if you are doing this on purpose,” Kibum responded testily to Jinki.

 

Taemin climbed on the bed with Jonghyun. “You all need to leave.”

 

Kibum rounded on him. “You are kicking me out of my brother's room?” he hissed. “How dare you!”

 

Taemin rested his hand on Jonghyun's knees, and lifted his chin. “Loud voices distress him. He needs quiet to calm himself.”

 

“A servant presuming to tell me about my own brother? Who do you think you are?”

 

 

 

 

“Enough,” came the low, but firm, command. Everyone turned to look at Seunghyun. “Kibum I do not think Taemin was attempting to tell you your place. However, you must remember that there is a three year gap in Jonghyun's life in which you were absent and Taemin was present. You said yourself that Jonghyun is not the same person he was when he got married. As such, he requires different care. Right now, the only person who understands what that entails is Taemin.” Seunghyun looked at Jonghyun, who looked away. “So I suggest we do as Taemin says and leave Jonghyun be.”

 

Jonghyun kept his eyes trained on the opposite wall and refused to look at anyone. He felt a hand on his arm and flinched. The hand disappeared and several sets of footsteps moved out of the room, followed by the door closing.

 

 

 

“They are gone,” Taemin said softly. He kicked off his shoes and helped Jonghyun slide under the covers, the followed suit. They lay facing each other, Jonghyun's tears slowly tapering off. Taemin reached out to wipe his face, then grasped his hand.

 

“Taemin,” Jonghyun whispered. “What am I going to do?”

 

“You are going to pull through,” Taemin replied, pushing back Jonghyun's hair from his face. “You survived Minho once before. You can do it again.”

 

“But how can you be sure?”

 

“Because you are free of him. Because he no longer controls you. Because you have Jinki's protection. And Seunghyun's.”

 

Jonghyun snapped his eyes up to Taemin's smiling face. “The marquis?”

 

Taemin's smile grew. “Youngbae says his master likes you.”

 

Jonghyun raised his eyebrow at this tidbit. “Since when do you talk with servants, Taemin?”

 

“Since we came here. Kibum and Jinki's staff is very kind.”

 

 

Jonghyun smiled. “I am glad you are making friends.” He remembered the isolation at Minho's. Taemin has once mentioned Jonghyun being hurt to another servant, and Minho had raged for days. All of the baron's servants were terrified of him, but some had tried to gain favor by chattering to Minho like hateful geese. After that, Taemin refused to speak to any member of the staff unless absolutely necessary, not even eating with them. He ate next to the cook as he worked, the cook sympathetic to both Jonghyun and Taemin, and allowed him to eat in peace.

 

Taemin smiled back and squeezed his hand. “Get some sleep, my lord.”

 

 

 

When Jonghyun woke up again, a large portion of the day had passed, and a gray evening had settled in. Taemin was sleeping deeply beside him. Jonghyun smiled, grateful for his loyal servant, his devoted friend. They had been together during Jonghyun's entire three year marriage to Minho. He had been a wedding present of sorts. Jonghyun had been allowed to participate in choosing his personal servant, and he was drawn to Taemin's warm, open face and humor. They had fun when Minho was away, but when he was home they lived on tenterhooks. The whole house did.

 

 

 

Taemin had been horrified the first time Minho put his hands on Jonghyun. He could not even speak as he cleaned and tended his master. He had tried to speak to Jonghyun several times after, first about fighting back, then about escaping. He finally accepted Jonghyun's resignation and devoted himself to nursing Jonghyun and making sure he was able to get through each day. After the divorce, when Jonghyun had moved in with Kibum and Jinki, Taemin was allowed to come along. He had guarded Jonghyun jealously, not trusting anyone and sleeping in Jonghyun's room for the first month. As Jonghyun gained weight and strength, Taemin agreed to a room of his own.

 

 

Jonghyun slid slowly out of bed, taking care not to jostle Taemin. He had enough practice easing out of Minho's bed. He stretched and slipped quietly from the room. He padded softly down the stairs to the library, keeping an eye out for a stray servant, or Kibum or Jinki. But the estate seemed deserted. Moving into the library, he was heading towards his usual spot when he saw a figure leaning against the desk, who turned to look at him.

 

Jonghyun blushed. “I am sorry. I did not see anyone.”