One

Second Time Around

Jonghyun sat on the window seat in the library, watching as the aristocracy disembarked from their carriages. He sighed. He had absolutely no desire to spend an entire week with a group of insipid, self-absorbed individuals. But, it was the first societal gathering Jonghyun's brother Kibum, and Kibum's husband Jinki, had hosted since Jonghyun's troubles began, so he really could not begrudge them this party.

 

 

 

He leaned his forehead against the cool pane of glass and closed his eyes. Six months. It had only been six months since he stood in front of a room of magistrates and clergymen, begging for a divorce from Minho. He'd become so desperate that he took one of Minho's pistols and held it against his side. When a clergyman warned Jonghyun that he would go to Hell for self-murder, Jonghyun declared Hell would be better than being married to the Baron Minho Choi. Then he pulled the trigger.

 

 

 

When he came to two days later, he had been stripped of his title, he was penniless- but he was free. Jinki had taken him home and he and Kibum had been caring for him ever since.

 

 

 

The library door opened and Jonghyun rolled his eyes. He should have known it would not take Kibum long to find him.

 

“Here you are,” Kibum said, as if this had not been Jonghyun's hiding spot for the past half year. Some nights he did not even make it to his own bedroom, just fell asleep on the divan.

 

“Here I am,” Jonghyun repeated.

 

“It is time to start dressing for supper.”

 

“Kibum, do I have to go?”

 

Kibum took one of Jonghyun's hands in his. “Jongie, I know how you feel...”

 

Jonghyun leveled him with a look. “Do you?”

 

“But it has been over six months,” Kibum continued as if Jonghyun hadn't interrupted. “People have moved on.”

 

“Right. I will go down there and they will have completely forgotten that I have given up a baron with ten thousand a year just because he beat me until I begged God for death.”

 

“Do it for Jinki. Please?” Kibum got up and left the room.

 

 

 

Jonghyun closed his eyes and sighed. There it was. The ultimate trump. Jinki really put himself out there to help Jonghyun and Jonghyun owed his life to him. But Jinki always dismissed the idea as ridiculous. He had been happy to help, and devastated that he and Kibum had missed the signs that something was so terribly wrong. Still, everyone knew Jonghyun was holed up here, and the last thin he wanted to do was to bring shame and gossip upon his brother's household by remaining hidden.

 

 

 

He heaved himself up and dragged himself to his room. Taemin, his personal servant, was waiting to dress him in clothes Kibum had lain out. It was not as if Jonghyun could not dress himself or choose his own clothing. He had just pulled so far inside of himself that the matters of everyday living just ceased to matter to him.

 

 

 

“They are gathering in the parlor first,” Taemin offered softly.

 

Jonghyun gave him a half smile and a nod before heading out of the room.

 

 

 

He hesitated on the bottom stair, waiting until everyone was in the parlor before slipping in last. He definitely did not want to draw any attention to himself. However, Jinki spotted him and waved him over.

 

 

Jonghyun was grateful that Jinki did not actually call out to him. Jinki was smiling, and standing next to a gentleman who could only be described as tall, dark, and handsome. He looked as if he could be a hero in the romance novels that do this day Kibum insisted he did not read. The man had piercing dark eyes that made Jonghyun feel as if he had been explored from the inside out. He smiled at Jonghyun's approach, and Jonghyun felt something in his chest that he hadn't felt since he first met Minho.

 

 

 

“Jonghyun, this is Marquis Seunghyun Choi. Seunghyun, this is my brother-in-law, Jonghyun.”

 

They bowed.

 

“It is a pleasure,” Seunghyun said in a surprisingly beautiful, rich, deep timbre. He was smiling warmly, a soft pair of dimples popping out.

 

Jonghyun blushed and nodded, looking away. He did not trust his voice his just yet.”

 

“Seunghyun is the nephew of Magistrate Jungmo Choi,” Jinki said softly.

 

 

 

It was a name Jonghyun knew well. Jungmo Choi was one of the main men who argued on Jonghyun's behalf during the divorce. Jonghyun offered a small smile to the marquis.

 

“I remember him very well. Such an uncommonly kind man. How is he?”

 

“Uncle passed away peacefully two months ago,” Seunghyun answered. “He always spoke highly of you.”

 

Jonghyun felt tears well in his eyes. “I am so sorry for your loss,” he murmured, earning a bow in response. “You have some rather large shoes to fill. I hope you follow his example.”

 

Jinki nudged him. Jonghyun clenched his jaw and said nothing more. He knew he was being rude, but he just could not bring himself to care. But he would try to remember Kibum and Jinki next time. Seunghyun did not respond, but he still had a warm smile on his face.

 

“Oh, there is Sir Soo Man Lee,” Jinki said. “Excuse me.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun suddenly found himself alone with Seunghyun. He blushed and turned to run his eyes over the crowd.

 

“What on earth possessed Chaerin to wear that, I wonder?” Seunghyun murmured. “She looks like a perturbed hen.”

 

Jonghyun snorted, blushing when several people turned and gave him dirty looks.

 

“Bless you,” Seunghyun covered smoothly, handing over a handkerchief.

 

Jonghyun took it gratefully and turned his back to the crowd. “I cannot believe you just said that.”

 

 

 

“Said what?” Kibum asked, walking up to them.

 

“He said Chaerin looked like a perturbed hen."

 

Kibum squinted in Chaerin's direction. “I would have said pompous peacock, but your works too.”

 

Jonghyun coughed back laughter. Seunghyun patted him on the back.

 

“I do hope you are not becoming ill,” he offered.

 

“You two are terrible,” Jonghyun murmured. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Seunghyun smiling widely.

 

 

 

A servant announced dinner. Seunghyun offered his arm to Jonghyun, who stared at Seunghyun with wide eyes and a wider mouth. He looked over at Jinki, who nodded. Blushing furiously, Jonghyun slid his arm through Seunghyun's, and they followed Kibum and Jinki into the dining room.

 

 

 

 

Jinki settled at the head of the table, Kibum to his right, Jonghyun to his left. Seunghyun had been seated a down the table from Kibum, a couple people between them. Jonghyun caught his eye a couple of times, blushing and turning away- only to be met by Kibum's smirking face. Jonghyun only scowled at his baby brother.

 

 

 

No one spoke to Jonghyun, suiting him just fine. He could not imagine being interested in whatever drivel they prattled on about. He imagined Seunghyun would be interesting, though.

 

 

 

He heard the name of Sulli Choi float down the table, followed by Minho's. Jonghyun stiffened. Minho had married Sulli a month after the divorce. Jonghyun swallowed his food and steadfastly refused to look at anyone. He knew if he did so he would start to cry. There was a tension at his end of the table as these names were bandied about, but Jonghyun ignored it as best as he could. He focused on his food and attempted to control his breathing.

 

 

 

An hour later and it was over. Jonghyun did his best to ignore the knowing looks and smirks sent his way, as the women headed towards the parlor and the men to the study. He turned to Jinki. “If it is alright, I thought I might go for a short walk.”

 

“Not far?”

 

“No, just for air.”

 

Jinki sighed. “Go, then.”

 

 

 

Keeping his head down, Jonghyun slipped out behind the others, turning in the opposite direction. He walked towards the back of the house, exiting onto the terrace as quickly as he could. Moving down the stairs, Jonghyun walked past the flowers, the topiary, the reflecting pool. He stole past the stables, ducking into the hedgerow maze. He did not go far into it, choosing to flop onto the first bench he came across.

 

 

 

He could not understand why everyone hated him for divorcing Minho. Sure, divorce as frowned upon, especially in the upper classes, but Minho was beating him. He probably would have killed Jonghyun if the divorce had not gone through. Mrs. Kim- Jonghyun and Kibum's mother- did not think so. She was convinced Minho would never have let things escalate that far. Even being presented with evidence she remained immovable. Jonghyun stopped speaking to her and ignored all of her letters. His father's, too. He knew Kibum would let him know of anything important.

 

 

 

Kibum. How Jonghyun envied his and Jinki's marriage. Jonghyun and Kibum were the sons of a gentleman, and none of them could believe it when Jonghyun had caught Minho's eyes. Minho was kind, and seemed to adore Jonghyun. Their marriage helped Kibum wed Jinki about a year later. At that time, Jonghyun's every illusion of life, love, and happiness had been shattered. Two years later, and Jinki was helping to free Jonghyun from his marriage vows.

 

 

Jonghyun cradled his head in his hands. While he was happy that Kibum ended up in a love match, he had no idea where his had gone so horribly wrong. He spent the first year desperately missing the man he married, and the last two just trying to stay alive.

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun did not feel the tears on his face. He did not feel the cold settle in or the ache in his side flare up, or his body stiffening up. He was startled, however, when a heavy woolen blanket was dropped over his shoulders. Even more so when he looked into the concerned face of Marquis Seunghyun Choi..

 

“M- marquis?”

 

Seunghyun tightened the blanket around him as he shivered. “You've been gone for a few hours. Kibum is in a state. I volunteered to come look for you.”

 

“Kibum is so dramatic,” Jonghyun muttered.

 

Seunghyun took Jonghyun's hand in his. “He saw how distressed you were at dinner. He is worried- we all were.”

 

 

 

Before Jonghyun could protest he was swung up into Seunghyun's arms as if he weighed no more than a dried leaf. Jonghyun wanted to say something, anything, but he was too cold and Seunghyun too warm, so his body just formed into a small ball, and he curled into Seunghyun's chest.

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun walked quickly, never faltering, never losing his breath. Jonghyun had lost track of time, but he knew they had arrived back at the house when he heard Kibum's worried shout. He was bustled up the stairs and into his room.

 

“Taemin, stoke the fire,” Kibum ordered as Jonghyun was deposited into an easy chair. The fired roared to life as a hot brick was placed under Jonghyun's feet.

 

“Taemin, fetch some tea,” came Jinki's voice as Kibum unlaced Jonghyun's shoes.

 

“What were you thinking?” Kibum hissed.

 

 

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, and caught Seunghyun watching him.

 

“I shall take my leave,” he said softly, bowing.

 

“That is okay,” Jonghyun said. “I am in a lot trouble with Kibum, so you are more than welcome to stay.”

 

Seunghyun chuckled and took Jonghyun's hand once again. “I will rest easy knowing that I am leaving you in good hands.” With a kiss to Jonghyun's hand, Seunghyun strode from the room, Jinki following.

 

 

 

Jonghyun watched him leave, surprised to fin himself blushing. When he turned back around, he found Kibum and Taemin smirking at him. “What?”

 

Neither replied, but they shared smiled as they fussed over Jonghyun.