Five

Second Time Around

The trial was a torment for Jonghyun. Having to sit in a room full of strangers and go into excruciating detail about his life with Minho- their courtship, the rough , the arguments, the fear. When Jonghyun first walked into the room, Minho was facing away from him, and Jonghyun was already seated by the time he turned around. Jonghyun was thankful for that. If he had caught Minho's eye, he probably would have been unable to proceed.

 

 

 

The prosecuting barrister was easy on Jonghyun, but still asked probing questions. The man representing Minho was the opposite- ruthless, probing, and cruel. His questions ripped Jonghyun apart, stripping him and baring his soul for all of the spectators to see.

 

 

 

Jonghyun did take Seunghyun's advice, and kept his eyes on the Marquis the whole time. He choked up several times, but managed not to cry. An occasional nod, or the mere glimpse of a smile, fortified Jonghyun and he was able to keep going. Kibum and Jinki were seated next to Seunghyun, but Jonghyun never looked at them. He felt as if he was purging himself of all this darkness, and pushing it all out to Seunghyun- who absorbed it all, and destroyed it. It left Jonghyun feeling lighter.

 

 

 

Jonghyun talked a lot, so much that he lost all track of time. Finally, the Chief Magistrate declared that Jonghyun was finished, and called for a break. Closing his eyes, Jonghyun sank back into his chair, releasing a deep breath. He felt eyes on him but did not dare seek them out, for fear those eyes belonged to Minho.

 

“Jong.” Key's voice broke through his thoughts. Gentle fingers slid under his arm. “Let's go home, Jonghyun.”

 

He was eased off the witness seat. Immediately his legs turned to jelly, and he would have fallen had Kibum not had such a grip on him.

 

 

 

They walked into the hallway where Seunghyun and Jinki waited.

 

“You did well!” Jinki smiled.

 

Jonghyun blushed. “Thank you.”

 

“How do you feel?” Seunghyun asked.

 

Jonghyun sighed. “I cannot say. In my head everything feels... jumbled. Physically I feel rather wobbly.” He chuckled shakily.

 

Seunghyun smiled warmly at him. “You and Kibum can take my carriage home. Have a bath, have Taemin swipe some pastries for you, and try to relax.”

 

“Will you be dining with us this evening?” Jonghyun asked.

 

Seunghyun's smile softened. “I do not know, because I can not foresee how things will unfold. However, I will certainly be at breakfast in the morning.”

 

He chucked Jonghyun under the chin, and Jonghyun flushed deeply.

 

 

 

“You look like a fool, grinning like that,” Jonghyun said to Kibum as they sat across from each other in Seunghyun's carriage. Kibum had been smiling since he and Jonghyun had separated from Jinki and Seunghyun.

 

“Seunghyun just adores you,” Kibum responded. “And it makes me happy.”

 

“For heaven's sake, Kibum,” Jonghyun sounded exasperated.

 

“What? He kissed your forehead and we are using his carriage.” Kibum was such a teenager sometimes.

 

“He has not made his intentions properly known.”

 

“That does not mean he will not,” Kibum said confidently. “No, I am sure it is only a matter of time.”

 

Jonghyun could only roll his eyes.

 

 

 

Being home was comforting- being with Kibum and Taemin was not. As soon as Kibum hustled Jonghyun into his bedroom he began filling Taemin in on the day's events. Taemin had stars in his eyes when hearing about the attentions the Marquis paid to Jonghyun. Jonghyun rolled his eyes so many times his head began to ache. He followed Seunghyun's advice, though- settling into a hot bath and asking Taemin to bring some sweets up with his tea. Taemin was thrilled at the return of his master's appetite, and loaded the tea tray with treats. Jonghyun chuckled, but as he lay comfortably in bed reading, he managed to slowly eat everything without getting sick. He eventually sank into a deep, dreamless sleep.

 


Jonghyun awoke to a weight on his chest. There was a wetness on his nose, and he wiped his face, his hand brushing against something soft. Opening his eyes, he found a pair of dark eyes looking at him. Startled, he gasped and scrambled to sit up. A small black ball of fur slipped from his chest into his lap.

 

A puppy.

 

Jonghyun smiled.

 

 

 

“Do you like her?” came Seunghyun's voice.

 

Jonghyun looked up to see the Marquis and Taemin in his room. “Her?” he asked softly. He picked up the puppy, and brought her close to his face. He received a on his nose for the effort. Jonghyun smiled even wider. “What kind is she?”

 

“Dachshund.”

 

The puppy yawned and flopped into Jonghyun's lap.

 

“She is perfect.”

 

“She is yours.”

 

Jonghyun's head snapped up. “Truly?”

 

Seunghyun nodded, smiling a dimpled smile.

 

Jonghyun bit his lip and shook his head. He was blushing. “Marquis, I- I do not know what to- to say.”

 

“Call me Seunghyun.” He leaned against the foot of Jonghyun's bed. “And she is a gift. Archduke Siwon Choi's pup had a litter, so I picked this little one up for you last night. You have been through so much darkness, I thought you deserved some light.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun ran a finger over the puppy's head. She had curled herself into a tiny ball and was sleepy. Tears welled up in Jonghyun's eyes.

 

“What shall you name her, my lord?” Taemin asked.

 

Jonghyun smiled. “Roo.”

 

 

 

A knock at the door heralded Kibum, Jinki, and Youngbae, who carried a tray of food.

 

“I see you have gotten your present,” Jinki smiled.

 

“Roo.”

 

“We brought your food up so you would not have to leave her,” Kibum said, sitting next to Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun could only smiled down at his little pup.

 

“I have two reasons for giving her,” Seunghyun explained.

 

Jonghyun managed to drag his eyes from his new little love to the Marquis.

 

“The first I've already mentioned to Jonghyun. The second, I want to say in front of everyone. I would like to officially court you, Jonghyun.”

 

 

 

Everyone beamed. Jonghyun rolled his eyes. And blushed.