June 13, 2013 & September 1, 2013

Never The Same

"Hello. My name is Jeon Jungkook. I am 15 years old. Today was BTS's debut! The debut was exhilarating and energetic. It wore me down, though. We would perform—which means singing and dancing—and then would rush backstage to change clothes and have our makeup and hair retouched. I nearly fell asleep while one of the hairstylists was brushing my hair! But it was all worth it.

I hope my family is proud. I think I've made a great decision in leaving them two years ago to join BTS. Of course, it hasn't been an easy road to get to where I am now. Living with my hyungs at BigHit Entertainment while both finishing school and chasing after my dreams has been really difficult. Ever since I moved here from Busan, I've been kind of lonely. I guess playing those long solo video games from dawn until midnight wasn't always the best. I really missed out on having friends.

But I'm really lucky to have such great hyungs! They're all really nice and admirable. Jin (Kim Seokjin) is the eldest, then Suga (Min Yoongi), J-Hope (Jung Hoseok), Rap Monster (Kim Namjoon), Jimin (Park Jimin), and V (Kim Taehyung). I'm the maknae.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with being the maknae! I just feel extra pressure to do well to uphold the band. But who doesn't? The hyungs have a lot of experience already. They've been in underground groups and training far longer than I've been. So my number one rule is to do my absolute best—no matter what.

But even though my hyungs and I have just debuted, it doesn't mean life is going to get any easier either. School constantly drags me down. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so young. Then, I could just skip school and keep singing, dancing, and drawing. By then I could also drive! Bangtan is my life!" Jimin read out loud.

The boys quietly sat together and analyzed the passage Jimin had just read. There was nothing for Jungkook to be upset over or for them to really think about. There had to be something else. Jungkook isn't the kind of person to continually complain or complain at all.

"I don't understand," V said. "There's nothing wrong with that. Sure, he was a bit of a loner when he was younger, but that's nothing! He said so himself. Besides, we joke around about it a lot and it doesn't seem to bother him."
"Well just because it doesn't seem to bother him doesn't mean it never did," Rap Monster said.
"Okay, maybe it didn't start this early. Do you think we should skip to last year or so?" J-Hope suggested.
"It sounds like the best thing to do to save some time," Rap Monster agreed.
"No," Suga intervened. "There could be important clues in the first year! But maybe we should jump to the next month."
"The entry after this one was on September 1. Kind of figures, though; we were busy with our debut that month," Jimin flipped through the pages. "Let's just keep going one by one."
"I'll read," V volunteered himself.

Jimin passed the book to V and then they started reading again.

"Hello. My name is Jeon Jungkook. I am 16 years old. Today was my birthday. We were filming an MV today and I got a huge surprise birthday party during the shooting! I was so surprised! I didn't suspect a thing. The producer and the staff and my hyungs were all acting when they said I was doing the choreography wrong. It really scared me, but when they started singing 'Happy Birthday', I started to realize what was happening! They're the best!

But on the other hand, school has been horrible! I didn't expect so much studying and homework. It's been a good school year so far, but it's still hard to find friends. I've only managed to find one friend, Park Miso, but we rarely see each other. Ever since June 13, everything has become so complicated! Now that I've debuted, I feel ostracized from the rest of the class. I'm just so different from all of my classmates. I feel like an alien. Plus, the girls are mostly sasaeng fans that give me special treatment and the guys just hate me for...some reason—especially Daesul. (I'm not sure what his family name is...) Maybe it's because I'm in a band and I just debuted? I don't know, and at the moment I don't really care why they act like that.

And few weeks earlier, I got news from my family. First, it was to congratulate me on the debut and second, it was news about my brother, Jeon Junghyun. We were on the phone and were having a casual conversation. He told me I looked so different in all of our MVs that he almost couldn't recognize me! I didn't believe him! I completely regret all the times I avoided him because now I really miss him... Then everything took a dark turn. He told me he was joining the army next year. I was shocked, but not entirely. I knew it was about to happen, but I haven't seen him in such a long time. The last time I saw him was maybe when I was around 13 or 14! 3 years and I still haven't seen him! He told me he would be okay and that he would try and write letters as much as possible. I still couldn't believe it, though...

I didn't think my childhood would be ending so soon. I'm already thinking about the army and the future of Bangtan. What will happen when we're all required to serve? Will we still have a contract with BigHit Entertainment? Will we still perform without each other? What about solo careers? I'm mentally panicking and having an emotional breakdown, but in the end, I guess the only solution is to just take it one day at a time...," V read.

Another few moments of silence followed. The day grew darker.

"Well, there's still nothing new in this," Jimin said. "Maybe nothing happened until last year."
"What do you mean?" Suga asked. "I never knew his brother joined the army then. Hell, I nearly forgot he had an older brother altogether!"
"You didn't? I thought he told all of you."
"Did he tell you?" V inquired, raising an eyebrow.

Jimin froze in his seat as his fingers tightened their grip on Jungkook's journal. Everyone's eyes pierced his mind.

"Yeah, he did."
"He never mentioned this to any of us," Jin announced as he crossed his arms. "Jimin, does Jungkook tell you things that he doesn't tell us?"
"Maybe...sometimes..."

V suddenly stood up and left the room in a hurry. J-Hope quickly followed V as they exited the room. The two boys frantically raced down the hospital hallways, dodging other people, doctors, media, and, most important of all—the truth. V ran until he reached the hospital's balcony. He continued to race until he crashed against a wall near the edge of the balcony. J-Hope rushed up to V who was completely distraught. Tears were streaming rapidly down V's face as J-Hope continued to mollify his friend.

"V, what's wrong?" J-Hope asked. "Is this too much to handle?"

V rebuked J-Hope and turned his head toward the balcony to where meters and meters below was a crowded highway with road-rage drivers. He refused to look at J-Hope, let alone look at him. The feelings of betrayal filled V as he continued to regroup and rethink everything he was about to do.

"Taehyung, what's wrong?" J-Hope calmly asked. "It's just us. You can talk to me."
"It's stupid...," V finally admitted.
"Why? What's going on in that strange mind of yours?"
"Betrayal."
"Betrayal? Why? V, I've never seen you this upset. What's wrong?"
"Jungkookie and I were great friends! We told each other everything! Why does he go off and tell Jimin stuff that he wouldn't tell me? I'm closer in age to him! We have so much more to talk about. I trusted him...but he apparently doesn't trust me. Why would he do that? He would never do that..."
"Maybe he was going to tell you. Maybe he just forgot—"
"He wouldn't forget! That's not like him, hyung."
"Well what he did this morning wasn't like him, V. There's a lot of we still don't know about him—probably some things he never even mentioned to Jimin! We should just let it go."

V frowned and his eyebrows furrowed as his face began to articulate his anger. J-Hope relentlessly stared at V. Traffic continued to pass by from the ground far below. V looked down toward the road and saw the bright lights racing beneath him. J-Hope grabbed his shoulder and V's eyes met J-Hope's.

"Don't do anything stupid," J-Hope simply said in a stern tone. "Please..."

V retained an agitated look and slowly stood up. J-Hope followed his actions and began to usher V away from the edge of the balcony. The bright lights from the hospital gleamed down on his bloated face. His eyes were a dull red and looked like glass. They both returned to the room to proceed to uncover answers.