Deterioration: Part 2

Never The Same

The simplest things in life can be sometimes the hardest. Simple things like breathing.  It's just so simple, that you don't even have to think about it much.

Inhale. Exhale.

But for some reason, simple things, such as breathing, become impossible. Jungkook knew that damn well.

Inhale. Exhale.

And even with people surrounding her, she still couldn't breathe. She was just standing in the opposite corner of the room, watching people huddle around her and try and calm her down. And she couldn't do anything. 

Inhale. Exhale.

She felt stuck, just watching herself suffer. She couldn't feel the air between her fingers, blown from the air vents, or the ground beneath her feet; nor could she feel her heart pounding out of her chest. She was beginning to wonder if she was dead, for she couldn't feel her chest slowly rise or fall—or move at all. Silence was inaudible. And she just couldn't do anything to escape.

Inhale. Exhale.

And watching her suffer made her dizzy and nauseous, even. A fuzzy feeling also entered her head. Whatever was happening to her, she wishes she could just get out. But she couldn't. And the silence in the room was deathly.

Inhale. Exhale.

And as these strange symptoms escalated, she was relieved that she could finally hear someone's voice.

Yunji...

Breathe...

Remember, inhale and exhale...

She thought about it and opened and forced her lungs to inhale, then exhale.

Great...

You're doing great...

And as Yunji continued to think about exaggerating her inhales and exhales, she began to slowly regain feeling in her body. Everything felt numb, though. And then it all came back.

"Yunji!" Jimin said her name. "Are you okay?"

Am I okay?, she thought to herself as she opened her eyes, What happened? Where am I?

"Yunji?" Suga examined at her eyes.
"She'll be okay," Dr. Mun said. "It was just a panic attack."

Yunji moaned in response. Then, Jimin and V helped her up onto the vacant hospital bed. She tried to distinguish the blurry colored blobs in front of her, but her vision was far too fuzzy. A pounding headache was building and she didn't feel too well.

"What happened?" she asked, still quite dazed.
"You had a panic attack. We were so worried about you!" Jin told her, in a mother-like way.

Yunji had never had a panic attack before. The whole idea of having one seemed overwhelming already.

"Why did I have a panic attack?" Yunji inquired.
"Because...because of the news about Jungkook," Jin told her.

Simply the sound of Jungkook's name brought all the memories back—all the heartache and all the fear. Tears welled up in her chocolate brown eyes as she pondered about it. Only a few days left...

"Only three days?" Yunji looked at Dr. Mun.

He only barely nodded in response. Yunji's heart broke a little more. A teardrop fell from her eye and she immediately looked to Jimin for some comforting. He leaned close to her and opened his arms for an embrace. She instantly threw herself into his warming hug and began to sob.

"Um...I have a few questions to ask you all," Dr. Mun started.
"Of course, sir," Rap Monster approached the doctor. "Ask anything."
"Was Jungkook eating the past few years?"

V glanced at J-Hope to see his grieving expression. V hasn't always been the most observant person in the world, but he wasn't completely ignorant. And he could recall times when he witnessed Jungkook throwing out his food or when he was simply cutting up his food to make it seem partially eaten. But Jungkook wasn't always like this.

"He used to eat normally," Rap Monster said, "but...over the course of about a year, he really started to cut down on what he ate and when. But it seemed normal to us because we have to diet to maintain a specific physique—"
"Well," V intervened, "I don't think vigorously dancing for eight hours then going on five-kilometer walks while skipping two meals a day is 'normal.'"
"But that was only within the last year or so. For the most part, he used to actually eat."
"So, behavior like this has been only been going on within the last year or so?" Dr. Mun asked for clarification.
"Yes," the two boys both answered.

Dr. Mun quickly snatched his clipboard and pen and began to write down a few notes.

"What kind of 'dieting' tips has he used to lose weight?" Dr. Mun asked.
"I mean, other than that, not really anything else," Rap Monster said.
"Nothing like...purging or...pills? No appetite suppressants?"
"Not that I know of," Jin replied.
"Well...," Suga sighed. "Maybe one time."

Jin snapped his head around to Suga with a piercing glare. He was shooting Suga with one of his signature scolds, like he uses for the younger ones if they do something wrong.

"What? 'Maybe one time'? What are you talking about?" Jin asked with a worrisome tone.
"Like...I don't know. It's kind of...fuzzy," Suga murmured.
"Say it! Tell me now! Tell the doctor!"
"Well, it was late one night. I couldn't sleep and I heard the front door open and close. I knew Jungkook was having a late night vocal lesson during our regular dinner time, so I assumed it was him—and it was. Knowing the kid, he was noisy coming in. But after a while, I heard some strange noises. At first, it was just a little metallic 'cling' from the plates and glasses from the kitchen. It seemed normal. The kid was probably hungry; he hadn't had dinner yet. I was still awake when I started to hear rapid footsteps and, kind of a soft crying, coming from the kitchen. So, I left my room to try and see what was wrong and walked out into the hallway. All the lights were turned off, except for one. It was coming from the bathroom and the door was kind of left ajar. I didn't know if I should walk right in, so I just kind of...eavesdropped on him. He was definitely crying, but it was disrupted by a strange noise. I got closer to the door and looked in to see the kid with two fingers in his mouth and...he was throwing up. I didn't know what to think. I don't know how long I was standing there. It was probably ten minutes or so. But he just kept doing it. I left after the fourth time and ran back to my bed. I didn't know what to think. Everyone was asleep but us. I kept hearing him do it and I didn't sleep at all that night. So maybe he found out it was me, because, after that, I never heard him do it again."
"Min Yoongi, how could you not tell me this!" Jin outburst.
"I'm sorry, hyung! I didn't know what to do! And since it was only a one-time thing, I assumed it never happened again."
"But we're the eldest in Bangtan! We're like the parents! We're supposed to watch over our dongsaengs and tell each other everything to keep them healthy and safe! How could you keep something like this from me?"

Suga was on the verge of crying and breaking down. He felt like it was his fault for not telling anyone about that night. He could've helped stop Jungkook from hurting himself. He could've stopped it lal then and there. This was his fault. And he knew it now.

"Answer me, Yoongi!" Jin pleaded with tears in his eyes.

Before they all knew it, Suga was crying. Tears were streaming down his face and he was shouting at Jin. Everyone looked up at the escalating argument between the two.

"I didn't know, Jin-hyung! I didn't think it was a big deal since it only happen one time!" Suga cried. "I had no idea if what I was seeing and hearing was right either! I was tired! Jungkook's a good kid, Jin, and I know that he knows better than to...purge... It's hard to see that so suddenly too. It was overwhelming and it was hard to figure out what the right thing was to do. Hyung, I'm sorry for not telling you and I know this is my fault—"
"It is your fault! We could've stopped this!" Jin yelled. "You betrayed our friendship! You betrayed our trust!"
"Wait, wait! Hold up! I think you're forgetting what we're talking about!"
"Oh, really? How? Tell me!"
"This isn't about you and me. This isn't about our ing trust or friendship!"
"No! I think this is very much about you and me and Jungkook and everyone in Bangtan!"
"Shut—"

V and J-Hope intervened their hyungs and separated them from each other. Jin was angry and upset at Suga whereas Suga was nearly crying and was trying to defend himself. Jimin, on the other side of the room, was still trying to comfort Yunji from her panic attack.

"Wait, wait, wait! Let's talk for a second," Rap Monster interrupted the argument, then he faced Jin. "Hyung, can you repeat what you just told Suga-hyung?"

Jin took a deep breath to calm himself and tried to remember.

"I said...this is about you and me and Jungkook and...everyone in Bangtan...," Jin trailed off.

Rap Monster nodded his head in affirmation.

"See?" he spoke to everyone. "This is why there's a problem with Jungkook; this is why he...tried to kill himself. Remember last night when he was screaming at us?"

Everyone slowly nodded.

"Remember what he was trying to tell us?" Rap Monster looked at everyone. "He said, 'It's not about you, it's about me.' This is something that is specifically about Jungkook...and we're just now realizing that."