Epilogue

Mr. Moon Understands Me

​A/N: Thank you to everyone who supported this story, even when I'm so wishy-washy with updates and still have so much to learn and grow on. I always tell myself that if one person is enjoying what I write, it's worth it.

 
____​
{Epilogue}

 

“Did you get taller?”

“Shut the up and set that ing box in the bedroom.” I kicked at the knees, making them flinch.

“Ah! Your kick definitely has some sting to it!” Matt groaned, jumping with the box of clothes in his arms. “Is Tiff’s room big enough for the both of you?”

“It should be or else my uncle wouldn’t have lent it to us,” I sighed, stuffing away mugs and bowls into the cupboards. I stopped when I touched the granite counters. I grinned a little too much. Before the images in my head could go farther, I distracted myself. “Where the Hell does Fany put her pots and pans…?”

“Is she letting you put your desk in the bedroom?” I looked over at my best friend struggling with the white table. There was something off about him, something different from the past several months of my last visit, but I hadn’t figured it out yet. Did he get dumber?

“Like she would, the door on the right of the bathroom, put it in there,” I gestured and he lugged the contraption in there. Has he been hitting the weights more often?

“Are you guys gonna repaint the place?” he flicked out his jacket, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

“No, too much work. I think Tiffany painted it back when she moved in anyway.”

“And the walls aren’t pink?!” I jumped up to reach the top shelf and sighed.

“ this, we’re two short girls living together, neither of us will get to the top unless we jump.”

“Here, I’ll do it.” I watched Matt place the remaining cups on the shelf. Did he get taller? “Does she know you’re back yet or is she going to come home to a reverse break-in?”

“I’m picking her up after her classes as a surprise, we’re gonna have lunch with her father,” I hummed, trying to ease my smile.

“She’s going to scream!” Matt laughed, hands on his stomach. I blinked. I opened up his jacket and took a deep breath. “Hey!”

“Did you quit smoking?” I grinned at him. He shrugged.

“You could do it, why can’t I?” he mumbled.

“Tiffany told me whenever I needed a smoke to talk to her.” The look in her eyes when she found a cigarette in my lips was still paralyzing, even if it was only a memory. “Who’ve you been talking to?”

“I just figured it was fun since we’re young but it wouldn’t turn out so great later.” He seemed really nonchalant about it. I shrugged. Matt had to know I could smell perfume on him.

“So do you want to smell like Tiffany’s sister or…?” But I wanted him to be certain. He slapped my neck.

“Shut up!” I laughed. I don’t remember the last time I’ve seen Matt with red cheeks. It was a really nice thing to see. He’s always been so petty about his love life. “I should be the one teasing you.”

“What for?” I raised an eyebrow at the grin. My heart started to pound a little faster.

“I won’t say anything, but damn, you’re good.” Is it getting hot in here?

“I don’t know what you’re saying,” I ed the first notch of my shirt. He walked over to me and slung his arm around my neck. I smiled though.

“Go pick her up, I’ll see you guys tonight.” He’s always been a good guy.

“Thanks Matt.”

Tiffany’s finals stretched out to the last day of the week; the one she dreaded most used up all her energy from the past few calls I’ve shared with her. So I waited outside, kicking the sidewalk while pushing up my shades. Damn it’s hot. Maybe my black khakis weren’t the best idea, but Tiffany said she liked the fitted legs on me. I wanted to look good for her but would she like me wearing pants? Since it’s summer, would she expect to see me in shorts? I let the sun burn my face before checking my phone again. She should come out soon. “Maybe I should’ve studied a bit more…” I lifted my head. Other students walked by, some glanced at me and I stared at some. My glasses blocked my eyes so I stared longer just because I could.

“Tae?” Tiffany was so easy to please. “TaeTae!” Her sandals were flopping against the ground before I could even turn. I managed to catch her smile before it was buried into my neck. Her hugs were the warmest feelings.

“Hey baby,” I hummed as she placed a kiss on my jaw, digging the heels of her feet in my back. A bit of fear sparked in my chest but I smiled when I felt a chill shimmy down my spine.

“You’re early…” I couldn’t get over the way her voice sounded when it rolled over stones.

“Wanted to spend more time with you. Matt helped me move in already, put everything where you said I could.”

“God if I knew you were coming in I would tell you to throw it somewhere and just come over.” I set her down and kissed her lips. She cupped my cheeks and her tongue started melting my knees when a cough shocked me. “Oh, , sorry. Tae, this is my classmate, Jessica. Jessi, this is my girlfriend, Taeyeon.” I never thought another girl could be any more of a summer baby than Tiffany. Jessica gave her a good run for her money, adding in tousled blonde hair and a glowing complexion.

“Nice to meet you.” Our mutual friends were all from high school. I wasn’t around to meet her new friends. There was so much more to Tiffany than I’ve been seeing.

“Hey, you’re pretty far on the cute side.” I smiled. I loved Tiffany, but it never hurt to hear someone else compliment me.

“Yeah, she’s a real looker, huh?” My girlfriend pecked my cheek and interlaced my fingers with hers. I suddenly remembered our lunch plans.

“Oh, Hun, we have a lunch appointment with your dad in a half hour,” I squeezed her hand and she beamed at me. That smile. “It was nice meeting you, Jessica. Babe, I’ll start the car,” I kissed her hand. When I sat down in the car, I ran my hands over the wheel. Okay.

“You knew she was coming home early and you didn’t say anything?!” Tiffany slapped her dad’s arm and I grabbed hers.

“Don’t hit your father!” He simply grinned at her. I was pretty glad that Tiffany looked like her dad. Not that her mother was unattractive, but her father had the smile that I loved on his daughter. I kind of hoped that it was a dominant trait. So I could see it on her brother’s kids. Yeah.

“How was the moving in process? Was there trouble?” I took a long drink of water.

“No, Matt and I were good. I don’t have too much stuff anyway, so it wasn’t that bad. Especially since I don’t have much of my own furniture.” We never explicitly told Mr. Hwang the details of me moving in and he was supportive of our relationship thus far, but I was still scared that he might feel offended if he knew I was sleeping in the same bed as Tiffany.

“Hm, good to know.” I let out a small breath. “You two should really learn what it’s like to be in a close, long term relationship. It’s different when you spend day and night together.”

“We’ve spent extended periods of time together before, but I don’t know. I’m not sure how I could hate living with Tae,” Tiffany smiled and I smiled back.

“Well yeah, but I can imagine her hating living with you.” I choked on my water.

“Daddy!”

Once our lunch was winding down, Tiffany left for the bathroom. I noticed her father looking at me. I was reminded of his glares back at the beginning of it all. This stare wasn’t like those, however. There was a bit of playfulness in his looks now. “Yes?”

“You’re a punk.” He said it with so much feeling. I smiled.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Sir?” I took out my wallet and left the tip on the table. He sighed deeply and stretched out his arms.

“Alright, I’m sure your phone call wasn’t totally random, am I right?” he wondered, playing with his glass. My nonchalance was starting to strain.

“Tiffany likes days like these, Sir,” I insisted and he nodded. “I’m sure she missed you too.”

“When are you going to start calling me ‘Dad’?” the older man scratched his chin, making me laugh. I imagined myself calling Mr. Hwang my father. The thought scared me to the bones.

Beds were so much more comfortable when Tiffany was laying in them with me. God, her dark, dark brown curls and messy little limbs. She curled against my side, hands running over my stomach and love handles like brushes. “Babe, later. We have plans still,” I reminded her, even if my head was starting to build up a fire. How much do I really want to camp on the beach with our friends?

“Mm, okay.” Palms settled on my waist without testing. “I just missed you so badly, I want to be as close to you as I can.” I almost gave in, but settled for a kiss on her head.

“I know, but we have to get going soon. Besides, Hailey’s been wanting to put a trial run on that tent of hers,” I hummed, letting her hair fall between my fingers. “You should get your hair trimmed. It’s getting hot.”

“How much should I cut off?” she wondered and I shrugged. “I want to make sure it won’t be too short for you.”

“I’ll love you even if you buzz it.” Her smiled tickled my cheek and I burned just a little. “But I like it when it’s by your shoulders, so maybe a few inches off should do.”

“I love you so much,” Tiffany mumbled, drowning us in silk.

“I love you more.” I wouldn’t mind napping with her for a couple more hours.

Matt and I sat aside from our group, not able to kick this part of the habit even if it was freezing in front of the ocean. I couldn’t help but break out into chuckles. My toes felt so weird squishing around in the sand. “So are you guys serious?” I looked back, eyes on the new girl Matt introduced to us minutes ago. She was talking to Tiffany who was probably sharing stories of the three of us back in high school. I easily recognized the deep, floral perfume I smelled on my best friend earlier today.

“Yeah, I guess. It’s only been 7 months but she made me quit smoking since I laid eyes on her.” I was upset that I wasn’t the one who gave him that extra push. However, nothing could compare to the feeling Tiffany gave me. It must’ve been the same way for him.

“Is she the jealous type?” he gave me a seesaw. “It’ll be kinda hard if we’re best friends.”

“I told Anna, and she’s really okay with my relationship with you, but it’ll take some time to get used to,” he sighed. I wondered how much it bothered him. In many past relationships, friends became deal breakers.

“Let’s tone it down a bit then,” I stood up from the sand and helped him up. He hummed and dusted off his shirt.

“—and that was the last time these two went to a waterpark.” Too many stares and stray touches. I easily recognized the traumatizing story Tiffany was telling. Then I turned to Anna. She was Matt’s type, Asian, cute, a little more than a head shorter than him.

“Aw, I’m sorry you kids had to go through that.” What surprised me was that she was a couple years older. What surprised me was the green and brown uniform she showed up in. She brushed his hair and he gave her a smile that I’ve never seen Matt wear. Maybe it wasn’t so weird that the guy who never grew up got a girl who could take care of him.

“The tent’s up!” Ji whooped, childishly jumping around his accomplishment. We all fought for a way into the ped flap, cramming in the two-roomed tent. It was cool and soft, thanks to the sand underneath the material.

“Damn, we can all fit in here.” I grinned when my eyes roved over a familiar back and pulled on Tiffany’s waist. She screamed.

“Tae! Don’t!” she squirmed in my hands. I kissed her shoulder and she huffed, melting in my arms. I closed my eyes. “You’re the worst.”

“You kids aren’t doing hand stuff are you?!” Hailey called and I let my eyes focus on her teasing ones and winked.

“So glad you guys aren’t camping out with us tonight,” Sooyoung sighed, leaning on her hands. “God knows what you do when the moon is out.”

“You should see us when the skies are still red,” Tiffany giggled, planting a big kiss on my lips, and I chuckled. I didn’t miss the fact that hers became a sinful shade, ready to stain my skin.

Her gaze thrilled me to the bone, making my heart beat like twenty pound weights. Skin crawled up my neck when we came to our new home. “Is there a reason you’ve been staring at me like that?” I grinned. But who couldn’t tell, with those greedy eyes. Her hands started drifting up my skin, nails drawing lines along my stomach. I sighed. “Fany.”

“Mm, I can’t believe you made me wait so long.” My eyes could only register the touches she laid on me, the rapid movement when she dropped to her knees. I clenched my jaw, trying to breathe.

“Fany-ah…” The weight of her makeup lingered on my bare thighs. Where did my pants go? I fell on the couch, Tiffany pulling up my shirt until I started wondering where it went. My hands went for her shirt. I wanted to touch her. I wanted just as much skin.

“Tae, I want the bed.” Her voice tingled my ears, wreaking havoc on my insides. They fluttered at the very sound of her, at the sight of her awfully clear eyes.

With teeth nipping at my neck, my legs wobbled and stumbled for the bedroom. Her grip on my shoulders tightened and an airy breath squeezed out of me. I pulled her shorts away, dumping her onto the sheets. Her hands were always so nosy, her kisses always so clingy. I missed her so much. It felt like every part of me was its own, pulsing and twitching with its own heartbeat whenever her touch passed. And the way her voice choked on every sound she let out made me kiss her. Where did I ever go wrong? Anywhere I could reach, her lips, shoulders, chest, thighs, I wanted any and every part of her. Nails dug into my skin, begging to be closer, to be one. “Tae.” It hurt so good. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I never plan to stop.

I woke up and sat against the headboard. I looked over. Tiffany wasn’t in bed. I looked down at myself. I wasn’t surprised to find the kiss marks, but I was glad they were there. I wanted to be Tiffany’s, no one but hers, even if she put on lipstick just to mark my skin. She’s still so possessive. I slipped on pants and a shirt, patting my pocket, before finding Tiffany, sitting on our counters in one of my sweaters. “Sorry, Babe. Did I wake you?” We were living together. This was our home. We just made love in our bed. She’s sitting on the counters we’ll be using for months, maybe years. And she looks amazing when her face is bare, right under a lightbulb. “Why’re you smiling like that?”

“Am I?” I walked over and kissed her, as if it was the perfect time to love her with a fresh mind.

“Yes,” she giggled, pulling me in with her legs and arms. She gave me a lazy kiss and I muttered nonsense into her neck.

“You’re really beautiful at 2 in the morning,” I mumbled and she giggled again, placing my hands on her thighs.

“Your voice is really y at 2 in the morning,” she played with my earlobe and it sent my head deeper into her chest.

“Mm.” If I had to stand for the rest in my life, it better be when Tiffany’s hugging me on the counter. “Come back to bed, I wanna see you when I wake up this time,” I tugged her off the cold surface, staring at her as she grinned. Her cheeks were probably hurting with that big, cheesy smile because mine were starting to.

“You wanna know something?” Even in the navy blue light, with green and red specks dancing across her face, Tiffany was too good to be true.

“What?” I laid her down, easing her head into the pillow crease. She wrapped her hand around my cheek as I came down beside her. From the tips of her hair to the little dimple above the right side of her lips, she was so attractive, it made my fingers curl into the sheets.

“You’re so different than anyone else I’ve ever loved.” I smiled and pulled her close. Her head slipped against my shoulder and I gently rubbed her back, trying to memorize the line of her spine. “If I had to put everyone I loved into a room, I’d put you in a whole other section.”

“Go to sleep, Love.”

I woke up. Tiffany was still sleeping in my arms, breathing right against my skin. I pulled out the lump in my pocket and smiled. the moon and whatever it tried to tell me. I set the box down on the bedside nightstand. She’ll see it when she wakes up. My head fell back down. I was starting to get a headache from the lack of sleep. “Hun, come closer.” She obeyed with a foggy mind, crawling over my body like a dog. The weight made me cough a little.

“Too heavy?” Was she conscious enough to form sentences? She was still sleeping. She wouldn’t open those eyes for a few hours.

“No, just right.” Open up the box. I reached over and opened it, letting the ring sparkle in the night.