Leaving

Objects In The Mirror Seem Closer Than They Appear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The doctor looked into his patient's eyes, with a look of pity. 

The boy was young and he didn't deserve to be left with his condition. 

The doctor sighed inwardly and left the room.

 

Kai watched the doctor go and then looked back at Kyungsoo, whom was holding his hand. 

He watched him trace circles into his skin with his thumb, before speaking. 

"That doctor's crazy Soo, so don't worry about hi-"

Kai's eyes widened and he pulled his hand out of Kyungsoo's grasp to cover his mouth.

The older boy grinned, but hints of red bloomed in his cheeks.

"So I have a nickname know?"

"I, I uh....what?"

Kyungsoo chuckled softly and pulled Kai's hand back into his grasp.

"You're in denial," he whispered softly. 

His low tones sounded so soothing and drove him to the beginnings of sleep. 

"I guess I am," Kai whispered back. 

 

Chanyeol began to stir in the other bed and Kai whipped his head around to look at him. 

His big eyes were opening and Kai let go of the breath he didn't know he was holding. 

The tan boy tried to get up, but a sharp prick in his arm kept him from moving. 

The source of the pain was a needle hooked to an IV that fed his system drops of clear liquid. 

"Hey Soo, can you unhook th-"

The boy was nowhere insight but the large window on the other side of Kai was open and a small breeze blew cool air onto his face. 

Shrugging Kai turned back to Chanyeol. 

Soo must not like meeting new people. 

Chanyeol was looking around like Kai had been doing earlier. 

"Hey man."

Chanyeol whipped his head to where the familiar voice was coming from. 

His signature gummy smile stretched onto his face. 

"Heyyy, what are you doing here," he asked lazily, still groggy from sleep.

"Just chillin', like usual."

It killed Kai to hold secrets from Chanyeol, but the giant would be to confused and in pain to understand.

"Do you remember anything," Kai asked, curiously.

Chanyeol groaned a little, but shook his head, no.

"Not much, just that someone was driving towards me and I think we got in a car accident."

"And are you okay?"

"I'm fine, but are those other people okay," hints of stress peeked through his voice. HIs eyes were wider and he leaned towards Kai.

Kai remembered bodies being dragged out of the other car through the smoke, so he nodded, yes.

Chanyeol instantly relaxed and pulled his torso back onto the bed.

"There's no way I'm going to be able to pay for hospital fees," he groaned.

"You were just in a car accident, and you talk about money," Kai exclaimed. "You're so typical," he added with a scoff.

"Maybe Baekhyun will pay for it," Chanyeol said wistfully.

A jolt of memories shot through Kai's brain like lightning. And like lightning, they left him in a painful daze. 

Baekhyun...

"Hey Kai!," Chanyeol called.

"W-what," he said a bit nervously. 

"I bet that Baekhyun will be here in 10 minutes. How 'bout you?"

"Oh- um he might be here tomorrow," he answered thoughtlessly.

Chanyeol grinned. "I think I'll win, and if I do, you're buying ice cream!"

"Whatever," Kai said sarcastically, but forced a playful grin at the end.

The tall boy picked up the remote that was on the table between them and the television attached to the wall.

Kai noticed the clipboard that the doctor had been scrawling on. 

He read through his notes and his eyebrows drew together. 

He finally got to the diagnosis at the end with wrinkles on his forehead and a deepening frown.

Diagnosis: Schizophrenia

He had never heard of the term before, but the name was intermittent in his thoughts throughout his days at the hospital. 

 

Both boys lost the bet as Baekhyun did not show up. 

Nurses checked on the pair every day in the morning, noon, and in the evening. 

Soon Chanyeol was allowed to walk around the hospital and Kai was glad to see him out of bed.

Kai was slipping his feet into his slippers when he felt a smooth slip of paper crunch under his left foot.

Confused, the boy pulled out his foot, sliding the paper out with it.

He picked up the white note and read the slopp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter