Growing

Objects In The Mirror Seem Closer Than They Appear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai woke up, hot, and covered in sweat.

It was 4 A.M. and darkness still shrouded his room.

He couldn't sleep. But he really didn't want to move.

He was scared.

Kai lay their frozen, and starred at the unmoving ceiling fan; he really wished it would move.

After a few minutes, he mustered enough courage to bolt out of bed and sprint to the light switch.

The darkness receded after the light flickered to life and Kai turned the fan switch on.

The cool breeze felt good on his sweaty body and he sighed at how silly he was to be scared of nothing.

Kai padded back to his bed and lay there trying to fall asleep but something in the back of his brain kept nagging at him, keeping him awake.

I wonder if that smudge went away yet?

Probably.

How did it even get there in the first place?

The questions kept bombarding him, till he found his feet taking him to the bathroom mirror.

He nearly jumped out of his skin, when he saw a large shadow in the mirror.

HOLLY CRAP!

He threw the light switch on, and starred at the mirror.

W-what the heck?

The hand-sized smudge had grown to the size of Kai's torso.

It was almost like...like a void, dark and unreal.

Kai cautiously stepped away from the mirror; his movements were timid and his hands had a slight tremble to them.

I can't stay here much longer.

He threw on a clean outfit and flew out the door.

It was cool outside and the street lights gave off a warm yellow glow. Fireflies and other bugs whizzed around while crikets and frogs created the music of the night.

It was kinda nice and the uneasy feeling disappeared as Kai kept walking down the sidewalk.

Soon he was standing at the entrance to the city park.

The park was quite enormous and expansive forests covered a large portion of it.

Kai usually steered clear of the woods, they gave an ominous vibe. It was like that of impending doom and although he felt silly for believing all of the rumors about what happened in the woods, he could not help but walk a little faster as he passed the forests. Too many at time, had he spotted vultures circling over head in the park, and he couldn't help but think small animals were not the only ones being scavenged. 

If Kai was sane at the moment, he would have scolded himself for even thinking about going into a criminal infested forest at 4:30 in the morning.

But, it was 4:30 in the morning, and Kai was not a morning person. In other words, he was not in his right mind.

He strolled through the rose garden at the entrance, and stopped a few times to smell the flowers. He questioned his sanity while doing so.

He walked past the dark trees for a few minutes and was delighted to spot a fluffy raccoon along the way.

(It isn't so often that Kai sees a raccoon.)

His knees soon began to ache, so the tan college student sat on a bench under a warm street light and starred out at the small lake that held a few sleeping ducks.

He nearly fell asleep starring at the calm pond, when he felt a familiar tap on his shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter